TWWF tvtropes page revision

Where you can discuss Echo Chamber, the latest happenings of Mr. Administrator and Radio Void Rebel, and anything else that might happen to come up.

Re: TWWF tvtropes page revision

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am

Oh, I wasn't even thinking about the alphabetical thing. Yeah, I'm new at this.

As for the ctrl+f thing, I don't find it clumsy or tacky at all and would probably search the page that way even if there were loads of other organizational things used. But organizing the character entries on individual dates as per your suggestion might make it easier to follow, and could actually work well in conjunction with ctrl+f for those like me who use it.

A potential issue could be regarding dates that have events with a character at different times during the day. If, say, Holmes did something, and then the Cheshire Cat did something, and then Holmes did something else, it might be easiest to follow the order of events if there are two entries for Holmes on that date, on either side of the Cheshire Cat's entry.

There's also an issue with events that involved more than one character. We could just, say, put on Poirot's entry
"see Holmes entry" or something but that might start looking clunky.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Ok... To address RR: If we do that, it becomes a PAIN to read through. The sentences don't flow for reading, it becomes a formulaic list and forces a very limited approach to how we can write the entries.

We would have to rework every single line of the timeline to not much of a change, in terms of locating entries. I feel sad that you're not used to the Ctrl+F function, but see my logic:

If you are unfamiliar and reading through for the first time, it stands that you would want to read everything in a non-boring writing style. And if you ARE familiar, looking for a particular entry and by whatever reason not using the search function... You're missing out on skills that are common and would make your life one hell of a lot easier. I'd advise you to learn how to handle Ctrl+F. It's not hard and really, if you are searching for a entry without it, you're just making it harder on yourself.

I don't mean to offend, sorry it it seems like that. But I mean... I don't think "I don't know how to Ctrl+F" is a good enough reason to turn the timeline into a painful reading experience. It's supposed to account for the story and work as a reference. Making it a reference only, which is what you propose, is against what I see as the goal here.

So "Nay" from Pixel.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby RotavatoR on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:59 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:A potential issue could be regarding dates that have events with a character at different times during the day. If, say, Holmes did something, and then the Cheshire Cat did something, and then Holmes did something else, it might be easiest to follow the order of events if there are two entries for Holmes on that date, on either side of the Cheshire Cat's entry.

There's also an issue with events that involved more than one character. We could just, say, put on Poirot's entry
"see Holmes entry" or something but that might start looking clunky.

In the first example you gave the storylines of the characters don't really intertwine with eachother. As such, the order doesn't really matter. If the storylines do intertwine then we can just combine the entries, or make the name of the other character stand out.

Pixelmage wrote:Ok... To address RR: If we do that, it becomes a PAIN to read through. The sentences don't flow for reading, it becomes a formulaic list and forces a very limited approach to how we can write the entries.

We would have to rework every single line of the timeline to not much of a change, in terms of locating entries. I feel sad that you're not used to the Ctrl+F function, but see my logic:

If you are unfamiliar and reading through for the first time, it stands that you would want to read everything in a non-boring writing style. And if you ARE familiar, looking for a particular entry and by whatever reason not using the search function... You're missing out on skills that are common and would make your life one hell of a lot easier. I'd advise you to learn how to handle Ctrl+F. It's not hard and really, if you are searching for a entry without it, you're just making it harder on yourself.

I don't mean to offend, sorry it it seems like that. But I mean... I don't think "I don't know how to Ctrl+F" is a good enough reason to turn the timeline into a painful reading experience. It's supposed to account for the story and work as a reference. Making it a reference only, which is what you propose, is against what I see as the goal here.

So "Nay" from Pixel.

But the Timeline is already a formulaic list. Each day has one little tidbit of each story, and I don't think my idea can make that any worse. And I wouldn't mind having to do this all by myself.

Also, I never said that I didn't KNOW how to "Ctrl+F" >_> What made you think that?
I don't need this Timeline to look good for myself. All I'm saying is that others may not be used to using Ctrl+F. They may not even think of it.
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:24 pm

RotavatoR wrote:I don't need this Timeline to look good for myself. All I'm saying is that others may not be used to using Ctrl+F. They may not even think of it.

Sorry for the wrong assumption. :oops:
But I covered that: I'm against that reason.

Like you said it is formulaic enough as it is now, making it more so only makes it worse as a reading experience. I still have plenty of faith that any one who is familiar enough with the plot to go looking for a specific entry won't do so by means of reading through the page manually. And for anyone actually new, who will have to read through, making it feel like a lawyer's document list will not make it enjoyable to read.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Like you said it is formulaic enough as it is now, making it more so only makes it worse as a reading experience. I still have plenty of faith that any one who is familiar enough with the plot to go looking for a specific entry won't do so by means of reading through the page manually. And for anyone actually new, who will have to read through, making it feel like a lawyer's document list will not make it enjoyable to read.

Gotta say I'm with Pixel on this one. I didn't mind the colour coding myself, it helped find stuff although it was a double edged sword for me: on the one hand the colours made stuff easier to find, on the other, I have difficult with reading certain colours on white (and don't get me started on pages with white text on black, oh god my eyes :cry:). I don't think this is a great loss. Consider that the timeline is THE ONLY coherent chronology we HAVE of most of the ARG. It's the place where it is organized the most comprehensively and we want it to flowand be reabable to people who are NOT us. I can't speak for anyone else but these adjustments certainly won't make it any easier for me, it's just a bunch of [these things] all over the [place].
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Tohrinha on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I've gone through for Holmes and Quixote, who were referred to inconsistently. And Poirot, as I was caught up in the editing.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry for making such a fuss out of this. >_< Sometimes I get mean-spirited :/

Just a few ideas about the main page:
1. Do we still need the "Important Websites" bit (to be on top)?
2. Would you like to replace the image, or is this a perfect one?
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 pm

For the image I vote keep it. It's non-spoiler and one of the more memorable pieces of art we have. Besides, it prompts viewers to look for the non-shredded version, might get them to explore the pages a bit more while doing it's duty of being one of the icons from the ARG.

Important websites... I think we should keep them somewhere. Still thinking on it.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Should we add any of my angry and sad moments in the Coffee Room or in Off Topic to Tearjerker or Heartwarming?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:Should we add any of my angry and sad moments in the Coffee Room or in Off Topic to Tearjerker or Heartwarming?

Generally speaking, we're avoiding stuff that happened in Off Topic. Currently, the focus is on getting a better representation of what actually happened "in-canon" (although it is sometimes hard to draw the line between what was really part of the ARG and what was tangential. I mean, The Witch mentioned the RP once, iirc) rather than adding things regarding our own activities on the site that didn't directly impact the ARG.

So at least for the current moment, I'd hold off on adding those.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:Should we add any of my angry and sad moments in the Coffee Room or in Off Topic to Tearjerker or Heartwarming?

Generally speaking, we're avoiding stuff that happened in Off Topic. Currently, the focus is on getting a better representation of what actually happened "in-canon" (although it is sometimes hard to draw the line between what was really part of the ARG and what was tangential. I mean, The Witch mentioned the RP once, iirc) rather than adding things regarding our own activities on the site that didn't directly impact the ARG.

So at least for the current moment, I'd hold off on adding those.

OK. Although on the character sheet, I would have liked to have my Berserk Buttons back, but, the character sheet is as fine as it is right now.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:26 am

I think we've also decided to leave the entirety of the character page alone for the time being. It's too much of a touchy subject.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:40 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:I think we've also decided to leave the entirety of the character page alone for the time being. It's too much of a touchy subject.

Agreed.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:19 pm

So I'm trying to think of tropes to put on the main page. So far I've come up with Massive Multiplayer Crossover and The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You. Those sound good?
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby JackAlsworth on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm kind of amazed none of us got those already. Put 'em on. (The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You is a little more iffy, but since that was basically all our reactions to the whole Cthulhu thing, I think it's justified.)
JackAlsworth

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 pm

*AHEM*

A witch teleported into my living room, thank you all for remembering. :P
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby JackAlsworth on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm

...You know, I actually had forgotten that. :oops: :cry:

Maybe I should reread Susie to make sure my brain didn't drop anything else.
JackAlsworth

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Ah, yes, and then Mimsy almost had a bucket of acid dumped on his head or something. Good times, good times... :P
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 am

Right, I've added them to the page. No description or elaboration on them yet, though, so feel free to contribute that if you wish.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Sicon112 wrote:*AHEM*

A witch teleported into my living room, thank you all for remembering. :P

Look it was all very dramatic and all, but we were kinda waiting on a guy taking down an Elder God in a small wooded area in New Jersey that had recently been wrecked by a hurricane, sorry if your moment of awesome was slightly overshadowed by CTHULHU :p
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 am

I put Badass Crew for us Metaguard earlier, is that OK?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby JRPictures on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:I put Badass Crew for us Metaguard earlier, is that OK?

This entry:
* UnstoppableRage: The Wild West Pyro is known to get angry very easily in the Coffee Room, but one time JR accidentally made him blow his top, and the result was horrifying- Pyro poured out his entire anger, ranted and raved, shot everyone, strangled others and burned, nuked and bombed down the entire Coffee Room, then condemned everyone to a horrific fiery death in the flaming ruins.

Shouldn't be on the page. The Coffee Room isn't canon to the ARG and you seem to be making a big deal out of yourself for your actions there. (And what did I do to cause that? I don't remember causing anything with you)
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 am

JRPictures wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:I put Badass Crew for us Metaguard earlier, is that OK?

This entry:
* UnstoppableRage: The Wild West Pyro is known to get angry very easily in the Coffee Room, but one time JR accidentally made him blow his top, and the result was horrifying- Pyro poured out his entire anger, ranted and raved, shot everyone, strangled others and burned, nuked and bombed down the entire Coffee Room, then condemned everyone to a horrific fiery death in the flaming ruins.

Shouldn't be on the page. The Coffee Room isn't canon to the ARG and you seem to be making a big deal out of yourself for your actions there. (And what did I do to cause that? I don't remember causing anything with you)

Never mind the Noodle Incident, I'll be removing that..
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby JRPictures on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 am

Alrighty then.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 am

JRPictures wrote:Alrighty then.

Done. And Dusted.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

PreviousNext

Return to Adminverse Discussion