About the server shutdown (PLEASE READ!)

Where you can discuss Echo Chamber, the latest happenings of Mr. Administrator and Radio Void Rebel, and anything else that might happen to come up.

Re: Global: About the server shutdown (PLEASE READ!)

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Thank you Soph! You are awesome.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:29 am

Indeed. Thank you enormously Soph for making sure asl this stuff is stored. When we meet, I owe you cookies.

I am a little unsure as to what this means for us overall, or what it means for the things still going on on the site, such as the Floating Castle and Matrx. Should we be working more on getting somewhere to move all this stuff? I feel kind of unproductive in this regard.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sophira on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm working on the forums at the moment! Those were the next things I wanted to do after the static sites; the static sites were mainly so I could work out exactly how this would all work.

That being the case, I'm going to set a date. I will move the live forums to forum.twwf.info some time on Saturday, April 12th. I'm going to try to aim for 5pm GMT (6pm BST, 1pm EDT, 10am PDT) as the time, but no guarantees. The move will involve me shutting down the old forum, transferring the files and database to the new site (I need to transfer the files again because that way I'll be sure that any recent attachments are saved, and I also want to keep the mod I installed for the global threads), removing the archived forums (which will appear on a separate site at some point soon after), testing the site, and then making it open to the public. I will make sure that I give warning in the chat before I do any of this, and I expect the move to take up to 30 minutes at most.

The forums on this site will have a message directing people to the new site, but since the server is going to go down on the 15th, it won't be there very long. I might consider mass-emailing people about the new site, but we can worry about that after we're all set up.

Hopefully that helps!
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Sophira wrote:I might consider mass-emailing people about the new site, but we can worry about that after we're all set up.

One possible idea that would also be stable, would be... Err... Asking Mr. A to tweet the new address. Since he's not too active all of the time, someone looking for the ARG stuff would be able to find it in his tweet feed easily at least until it gets buried by new updates. Not a perfect solution, but it's one of the things that might be doable. :)
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sophira on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:04 pm

That's a good idea!
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Okay, a question: the new urls for the individual threads and so forth... Will they be the same as the old urls with the exception of having forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info (or whatever gets used) instead of forum.watchthefootage.com ? Because I'm starting to think about, say, links in the Timeline that lead to refics and the like. After the change, the links would break, and I'm wondering how easy it would be to fix them.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Haha I was actually planning once the switch is complete to go through the timelime and fix all the links.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Haha I was actually planning once the switch is complete to go through the timelime and fix all the links.

Wonderful idea.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Sophira on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:14 am

narrativedilettante wrote:Okay, a question: the new urls for the individual threads and so forth... Will they be the same as the old urls with the exception of having forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info (or whatever gets used) instead of forum.watchthefootage.com ?

Yes, everything about the URLs will be the same except for the domain name! (And you got the right name.)

I'm thinking about also having an alias so you could use forum.wtf.twwf.info or wtf.twwf.info for the archived forum and Joe's blog respectively, but the long versions will always be canon and the short versions will redirect to the canon ones. What do you guys think?
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

Sophira wrote:I'm thinking about also having an alias so you could use forum.wtf.twwf.info or wtf.twwf.info for the archived forum and Joe's blog respectively, but the long versions will always be canon and the short versions will redirect to the canon ones. What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Anura on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Disregard this post.
Anura

Postby Sophira on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 am

Just a reminder: I'm moving the forums in an hour and 20 minutes. :)
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Victin on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Oh hey, what will happen to sent PMs and user accounts during the move?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Sophira on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Everything will stay exactly as it is!
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Victin on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Oh, so I can send a PM now without worrying for deletion?

... *looks at time* Well, I think I can wait a little :P
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Previous

Return to Adminverse Discussion