Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Because this sounds really fun and is, of course, really cool. I'm curious too, to know what you guys think of Singapore :D
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, that one is interesting.

From what I've read. Singapore is the only City-State that actually exists today, which is quite badass. But sadly that's all I have as far as information goes. (For now. ^_^)
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
User avatar
Pixelmage
 
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 pm

I know absolutely nothing about Singapore.

I'm picturing... rice fields. Do you have rice fields?

*feels like an ignorant and arrogant American*
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:I know absolutely nothing about Singapore.

I'm picturing... rice fields. Do you have rice fields?

*feels like an ignorant and arrogant American*

I too know naught of Singapore, but I picture tall buildings rather than rice fields. Do you have those?
*also feels the shame of ignorance*
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
User avatar
Genndy Oda C.O.G.
 
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Michigan

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Guyshane on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Well my mom goes to singapore on business occasionally which means I should know something about Singapore. but no. *headdesk*
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
User avatar
Guyshane
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am

narrativedilettante wrote:I'm picturing... rice fields. Do you have rice fields?


Well, no, sadly, we don't. Rice fields are... too large. Singapore is puny :P
We do have hydroponics farms though! :D But not many.

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I too know naught of Singapore, but I picture tall buildings rather than rice fields. Do you have those?

Yes! Trust me, anywhere in Singapore that isn't ulu (malay word for remote or backwards, usually the former) is almost completely tall buildings. The main form of accomodation here are HDB flats (Housing Development Board. Man, the ego in that naming) because since we don't have much land area, we have to build up :D I live on the 10th floor, personally, not very tall, but tall enough for this area :P There's one area, Ang Mo Kio, I went there to climb up 40 floors for training for a Nepal trip.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 am

Okay, stupid question... What is/are the official language(s) in Singapore? What's commonly spoken? What language(s) do you learn in school, and to what extent?
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
User avatar
Qara-Xuan Zenith
 
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 am

agoraoptera wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:I'm picturing... rice fields. Do you have rice fields?


Well, no, sadly, we don't. Rice fields are... too large. Singapore is puny :P
We do have hydroponics farms though! :D But not many.


:oops: Oh. Okay.

Hydroponics farms are awesome, though!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Okay, stupid question... What is/are the official language(s) in Singapore? What's commonly spoken? What language(s) do you learn in school, and to what extent?

Official languages are English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil to "reflect our ethnic diversity". English is the most commonly used for official business and Singlish is the most commonly spoken. Singlish is... an amalgamation of all four and then some. The languages we learn are English and our Mother Tongue (Chinese for me) because ahem English is not our native language so nobody has an advantage and Mother Tongue to preserve the racial culture. That is, in fact, what I studied in Social Studies for the past two years. >_>
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:28 am

stupid question...
When you say Chinese... Mandarin or Cantonese?

>_>
<_<
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
User avatar
Qara-Xuan Zenith
 
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 am

Mandarin. Cantonese is.. Hong Kong? And since my parents are Hokkien and Hokchew, I don't know Canto :D
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Victin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 am

A classmate of mine has gone to Singapore a few times. She usually buy eletronic devices and such there because they are cheaper at some lind of big market you have over there. That's all I know about Singapore.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

Victin wrote:A classmate of mine has gone to Singapore a few times. She usually buy eletronic devices and such there because they are cheaper at some lind of big market you have over there. That's all I know about Singapore.

What.
We go to other places for electronics because its cheaper elsewhere. .-.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Victin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 am

agoraoptera wrote:
Victin wrote:A classmate of mine has gone to Singapore a few times. She usually buy eletronic devices and such there because they are cheaper at some lind of big market you have over there. That's all I know about Singapore.

What.
We go to other places for electronics because its cheaper elsewhere. .-.

But I spoke from Brazil's point of view. EVERYTHING is more expensive here.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:54 am

I am so sorry for your economy.
And mine, but that's neither Singapore nor Brazil.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
User avatar
Genndy Oda C.O.G.
 
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Michigan

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Scarab on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 am

I'm curious as to what kind of cool traditions and holidays you guys celebrate. What's your favourite local holday, Agora?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 am

Let me think.. Okay, the big festivities are Chinese New Year (coming up real soon!), Good Friday (and Easter Sunday), Vesak Day (Buddhists), National Day, Hari Raya Puasa (Malay/Muslim), Moon Cake Lantern Festival (Chinese), Hungry Ghost Festival (Chinese), Deepavali (aka Festival of Lights, Indian), Hari Raya Haji (Malay/Muslim) and Christmas. I.. think that's about it.

My favourite? Christmas, I suppose. Chinese New Year's fun too, because that's when we go and visit all our other more distantly connected relatives. Chinese New Year's a big favourite among the kids and/or greedy people because when you visit your relatives, those who are married give ang paos or hong baos (read: Red Packet) to those who arent, including children. Said red packet contains money :P So, basically, my parents give red packets to my cousins while I receive red packets from my uncles and aunties. The colour is red, because to Chinese, red is a very auspicious colour. There's a funny story behind it about a monster called Nian....

[/digress] Nian was this monster that came around once every year and terrorised everyone. Somehow or another, the people found out that it was afraid of a) the colour red and b) firecrackers. That's why you see firecrackers and so much red during Chinese New Year, because we're chasing away a monster by the name of [/translate] Year [translate] which we represent with the lion dancing. As much as I'd love to link a video, the ones on Youtube are all "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP LION DANCING" so, no. Lion dancing usually involves a lot of cymbals, one big drum and two people in the lion dance suit which is this: http://www.china-cart.com/bookpic/20078 ... 482327.jpg
Usually its red, which, of course, doesn't make sense since the beast is AFRAID of red.... Anyway.[digress]

So, yes. Festivals.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:03 am

agoraoptera wrote:Good Friday (and Easter Sunday)


In America, Easter Sunday is a far bigger deal than Good Friday. Is it the other way around in Singapore?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 am

Uhh, Easter Sunday's the bigger deal, of course, but since Sunday is already an off-day, you could say Good Friday is bigger for the non-Christians since they get a long weekend :D
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Ah! We don't typically get a day off for Good Friday.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

So I just found out that not only was last year the Year of the Dragon, it was also the Year of the Black Water Dragon. Pretty cool, huh? :D
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am

Happy Chinese New Year! Well, Chinese New Year's Eve but I bet most of you will read this when it's CNY proper. The Chinese calendar is lunar-based and 10th of Feb 2013 is the start of the Lunar Year by the Chinese's reckoning :D

During this period, we mostly go and visit our relatives (I believe I've said this before?) and have reunion dinners, etc. There's this other practice we have, this thing called Yu Sheng. It's a salad kind of thing which has fish, shredded vegetables, condiments, sauces, little crackers, stuff like that. Its name literally means raw fish, but its a homophone for an increase in abundance. Chinese people LOVE their homophones. Typically, a family will all take their chopsticks and toss and mix the whole dish together while calling out blessings for the new year before digging in. This is a picture of what it looks like before the mixing: https://twitter.com/agoraoptera/status/ ... 20/photo/1

So, yes. Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year everyone! ^^
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

I'm of the opinion that I like that tradition! The salad looks delicious.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby agoraoptera on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 am

The salad IS good :3

By the way, today I went to a family friend's house and there was LION DANCING :D:D:D
I took a video, but ran out of space halfway D: Got most of it though. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wte4rTig ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKqPC_Sy ... e=youtu.be
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Cultural Exchange: Singapore

Postby Scarab on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 pm

agoraoptera wrote:The salad IS good :3

By the way, today I went to a family friend's house and there was LION DANCING :D:D:D
I took a video, but ran out of space halfway D: Got most of it though. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wte4rTig ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKqPC_Sy ... e=youtu.be


Oh wow, that is amazing and awesome :D
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Next

Return to Metaguard Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron