Cultural Exchange: Britain

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Cultural Exchange: Britain

Postby Scarab on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 pm

AKA England, the United Kingdom, Blighty, That-Really-Wet-Island-With-All-The-Ducks, or whatever name takes your personal fancy. Feel free to ask whatever you'd like here about the country I grew up in, although be aware that pretty much half of what I'm about to tell you can probably be prefaced by either:

• 'I know right, isn't it awesome?' :D or...
  • 'Uh... sorry .' :oops:

Either way rest assued that one trope is far from true.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: Cultural Exchange: Britain

Postby Tohrinha on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Scarab wrote:That-Really-Wet-Island-With-All-The-Ducks

. . . ducks?
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby agoraoptera on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:46 am

Is it true that, with the weather starting sunny, you can step outside and it begins raining, then when you go back in and get your raincoat and what-nots and step outside again, it can be sunny again? :D
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby Scarab on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 am

agoraoptera wrote:Is it true that, with the weather starting sunny, you can step outside and it begins raining, then when you go back in and get your raincoat and what-nots and step outside again, it can be sunny again? :D

Well... looking out my window at this very moment, we are under a foot of snow.

But no, our weather is not QUITE as varied as that in spite of what tv would have you believe ;)

We ARE quite a wet country, though, so you'll find most people have discovered the utter uncoolness of tiny packaged anoraks - generally the months October through april are pretty damn wet and over the last few years flooding has become a serious problem in many areas where it hasn't been before. Our own river now swells and overflows a lot more than it used to when I was a kid... It's kind of worrying actually. :? Our summer season is generally accurate to fictional portrayal though: a few bright days of really strong sunshine, a week or two if we're really lucky, and then it cools off quite rapidly. We do get sunshine, though :)

Tohrinha wrote:

. . . ducks?

Yes, ducks. Oh so many ducks. And yes you can eat ducks. I have never eaten duck, though.

Also Pheasants are a regular occurence around here. The law states they're wild birds, too, so they only belong to you if they're on your land, like this lil' guy here who was, for about five minutes the other day, the property of our household. Then he flew away. We had a lot of females showing up over the next few days, make of that what you will.

Hey, who wants obscure photos of the local area? :) I think images could be a part of this Cultural Exchange thing...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Scarab wrote:tiny packaged anoraks

That's it... I've been assuming "rain jacket" for YEARS now, but I finally just have to ask: what EXACTLY is an anorak?

Also,
Tohrinha wrote:

. . . ducks?

...QUACK.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Scarab wrote:
Hey, who wants obscure photos of the local area? :) I think images could be a part of this Cultural Exchange thing...

I wouldn't mind honestly, I, at least, would find it interesting :)
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 pm

agoraoptera wrote:Is it true that, with the weather starting sunny, you can step outside and it begins raining, then when you go back in and get your raincoat and what-nots and step outside again, it can be sunny again? :D

Well, it sure as hell does that HERE! (Nebraska) I've done plenty of experimentation, and managed to correlate rain and whether or not I am carrying an umbrella with me on the paper route that day. As long as I carry an umbrella, no matter how bad the sky looks, nothing will rain. However, as soon as I get away from the car without one, it starts pouring until I reach the car again, at which point it promptly stops. Yes I hate the outside and it hates me, why do you ask?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Victin on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

Well, it sure as hell does that HERE! (Nebraska) I've done plenty of experimentation, and managed to correlate rain and whether or not I am carrying an umbrella with me on the paper route that day. As long as I carry an umbrella, no matter how bad the sky looks, nothing will rain. However, as soon as I get away from the car without one, it starts pouring until I reach the car again, at which point it promptly stops. Yes I hate the outside and it hates me, why do you ask?

Actually frequently here it's raining on the front side of my building (that is, the parking lot) but not in my... Backyard?

There was that one time where there was a building party or something and it started a storm for real... Except in my backyard, which was sunny. And it was night O.o Or at least it seemed night, because the storm was pitch-black...
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah, I once took a multi-bus trip across the city, wherein EVERY TIME I got off the bus and walked, it was raining. Whenever I got ON the bus for any length of time, the rain stopped.

[/derail]

What do you think of as "your country"? The United Kingdom, or just England proper? Does this question even make sense?
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby H22 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Scarab wrote:tiny packaged anoraks

That's it... I've been assuming "rain jacket" for YEARS now, but I finally just have to ask: what EXACTLY is an anorak?

Also,
Tohrinha wrote:

. . . ducks?

...QUACK.

A) A ridiculously awful raincoat/mackintosh.

B) A ridiculous nerd in certain fields (e.g. Trainspotting.)
Victin wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

Actually frequently here it's raining on the front side of my building (that is, the parking lot) but not in my... Backyard?

There was that one time where there was a building party or something and it started a storm for real... Except in my backyard, which was sunny. And it was night O.o Or at least it seemed night, because the storm was pitch-black...

I was once in a flat in France where it was snowing out front and not out back.

Scarab wrote:

Well... looking out my window at this very moment, we are under a foot of snow.

But no, our weather is not QUITE as varied as that in spite of what tv would have you believe ;)

We ARE quite a wet country, though, so you'll find most people have discovered the utter uncoolness of tiny packaged anoraks - generally the months October through april are pretty damn wet and over the last few years flooding has become a serious problem in many areas where it hasn't been before. Our own river now swells and overflows a lot more than it used to when I was a kid... It's kind of worrying actually. :? Our summer season is generally accurate to fictional portrayal though: a few bright days of really strong sunshine, a week or two if we're really lucky, and then it cools off quite rapidly. We do get sunshine, though :)

Tohrinha wrote:

. . . ducks?

Yes, ducks. Oh so many ducks. And yes you can eat ducks. I have never eaten duck, though.

Also Pheasants are a regular occurence around here. The law states they're wild birds, too, so they only belong to you if they're on your land, like this lil' guy here who was, for about five minutes the other day, the property of our household. Then he flew away. We had a lot of females showing up over the next few days, make of that what you will.

Where I live, it's best just not to go out at some times for risk of pheasants, partridges, snipe, woodcocks, quails, wood pigeons and so on. The rest of the time, one shouldn't go out for risk of getting shot by people killing pheasants, partridges......

Oh, and duck tastes awesome. Cool restaurant in France which JUST does duck.
Victin wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Yeah, I once took a multi-bus trip across the city, wherein EVERY TIME I got off the bus and walked, it was raining. Whenever I got ON the bus for any length of time, the rain stopped.

[/derail]

What do you think of as "your country"? The United Kingdom, or just England proper? Does this question even make sense?

This is veering dangerously close to Rule 6 (English Democrats etc.) but I kind if think of myself as British. However, I've never been to Scotland or Northern Ireland, so I suppose I privately think of myself as English-Welsh. Then again, I also am a bit Continental European, so there's that too.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Scarab on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 am

Guys, seriously, enough with the quotes already, I'm getting confused :lol:

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What do you think of as "your country"? The United Kingdom, or just England proper? Does this question even make sense?

That's... a difficult question to answer. I honestly don't think I know for sure what I think. All I know is that people trying to figure that out has caused more than enough arguements as it is :x I guess if I HAD to say I'f think of myself as English but I guess we're the United Kingdom, so long as we want to be, and of course everyone has different ideas on what they'd like. Mostly I always called us England but thats just because... wel I like the sound of the word England, basically.

H22 wrote:Where I live, it's best just not to go out at some times for risk of pheasants, partridges, snipe, woodcocks, quails, wood pigeons and so on. The rest of the time, one shouldn't go out for risk of getting shot by people killing pheasants, partridges.......

I remember being kids hanging around the edge of the farmers field when we knew shooting was going on, daring one another to run into the fields. Fun times... But yeah there's all kinds of wild fowl around here, too.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Is the English pontuality true? To which degree is it? How does it affects everyone's lives?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Scarab on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Victin wrote:Is the English pontuality true? To which degree is it? How does it affects everyone's lives?

...Uh, the English what now? I'm sorry I don't know what pontuality means and google gives me nothing. (Which POSSIBLY answers your question as well as anything else.)
Last edited by Scarab on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Scarab wrote:
Victin wrote:Is the English pontuality true? To which degree is it? How does it affects everyone's lives?

...Uh, the English what now? I'm sorry I don't know what pontuality means and google gives me nothing.

punctuality* :oops: I was too lazy to check if I was right. Shane on me.
Victin

Postby Scarab on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Victin wrote:punctuality* I was too lazy to check if I was right. Shane on me.

I'd be a fine one to complain about spelling :P

Ah riiight. Well I don't think I can speak for the rest of the country, honestly, I think it depends on the person, right? We do like to make a big show of things (oh but the olympic organization looked like so much FUN :|) but our ways of keeping to schedule are probably just as unpredictable as any other country in the world.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Scarab wrote:
Victin wrote:punctuality* I was too lazy to check if I was right. Shane on me.

I'd be a fine one to complain about spelling :P

Ah riiight. Well I don't think I can speak for the rest of the country, honestly, I think it depends on the person, right? We do like to make a big show of things (oh but the olympic organization looked like so much FUN :|) but our ways of keeping to schedule are probably just as unpredictable as any other country in the world.

Oh, well... At least in Brazil, we have the steriotype that Bristish are all about crazy punctuality. It also helped that my brother said that London was like an utopia, everything was so perfect that he almost got hit by a car after he went to Paris.
Victin

Postby Scarab on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Victin wrote:Oh, well... At least in Brazil, we have the steriotype that Bristish are all about crazy punctuality. It also helped that my brother said that London was like an utopia, everything was so perfect that he almost got hit by a car after he went to aris.

I repeat my earlier assertation that I have no idea which part of London your brother was in, but it sure as heck wasn't the same part I visited :lol: (possibly because the last time I was in london, I went via Victoria station opens into a much less picturesque part of the city than I think other stations do, maybe? I don't know, most of the main london area is connected by the underground network, which is pretty cool, and is seperate from the stations

But yeah that's a stereotype I'm not familiar with, to be honest :) The stereotype of us being quite formal and proper is similar, though, and simialrly inaccurate. (Hell, you guys have heard me talk).
Scarab

Postby Guyshane on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 am

Forget hearing you talk we've seen you type
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Scarab on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Guyshane wrote:Forget hearing you talk we've seen you type

Now, imagine if I TALKED like I type... :D
Scarab

Return to Metaguard Projects