Cultural Exchange: The Netherlands

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Cultural Exchange: The Netherlands

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

This looks like a good time for me to start this topic. Our queen Beatrix is stepping down from her throne, and it's winter, which means Elfstedentocht-fever.

I have plenty of interesting facts about the Netherlands to tell you, but before I do so, I just want to hear your guesses. Don't cheat and look it up xD
What's our stereotype according to you, and how much of it do you think is absolutely spot on? Enjoy :P

Interesting Facts:
1. 20% of the Netherlands is below sea level. The word 'dike' has a Dutch origin and you can sea (harhar) why that is.
Last edited by RotavatoR on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RotavatoR

Re: Cultural Exchange: The Netherlands

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

First: Elfstedentocht looks friggin' AMAZING and I'd never heard of it 'til now.

I know very little about the Netherlands. I picture it as being full of windmills, bicycles, and tulips.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Re: Cultural Exchange: The Netherlands

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:First: Elfstedentocht looks friggin' AMAZING and I'd never heard of it 'til now.

I know very little about the Netherlands. I picture it as being full of windmills, bicycles, and tulips.

Doesn't look like we'll have an Elfstedentocht this year. It has to freeze for a few consecutive days so the ice on our water can grow thick enough. I don't really care much for the thing, and I strangely like it when others get all worked up about it and then disappointed xD But yeah, it is typically a Dutch thing.

There's actually a windmill which I can see from my bedroom window, but it's out of order. I could take a pic if you guys want and I'm not too lazy :P Bicycles are a common sight, and the infrastructure reflects that, with many special lanes for cycling and places where you can borrow bicycles. As for the tulips, they are a big export product, but are grown in big colourful fields elsewhere in Holland. I suggest you do a Google Image Search for 'Holland tulips' and allow yourself to be mesmerized.
RotavatoR

Return to Metaguard Projects