Final Pub Quiz II Announcements

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Final Pub Quiz II Announcements

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 pm

SO! In a little over 24 hours, the Pub Quiz II will commence!

To remind you, the Pub Quiz will begin tomorrow (Tuesday February 19th) at 7:30 p.m. EST.

In one hour from this edit, the Pub quiz will begin HERE (please do not spam the chat. You may enter if you like, but no conversing until things begin).

Here are the rules for the quiz:

• You will be given a time limit of 1 minute in which to answer each question.
  • PM your answers to the quizmaster assigned to you. If you don't know whom you're supposed to PM, ask (we will assign each contestant to a quizmaster at the beginning of the quiz, or as you enter). Do not PM multiple quizmasters.
  • Do NOT put your answers in the main chatroom. No points will be awarded to you if you do so.
  • You may not use Google/ Tvtropes/ the forums/ any other resource outside your own head in order to find the answer to a question, unless otherwise stated by the quizmasters, for a specific question.
  • Each regular question will be worth 2 points; Bonsus questions will be worth 4 points. It is possible to earn partial points.
  • All the usual forum/chatroom rules apply.

Don't forget all the lovely PRIZES we have for you! The winner of the Pub Quiz will:
  1. Be bumped to the front of the ARG Player Profiles lineup
  2. Choose from ONE OF:
    1. A sketch by Scarab
    2. A small animated gif by Adell
    3. A song by Qara, and recorded by YOUR CHOICE OF:
      1. Scarab
      2. Adell
      3. Qara
      4. Sicon and Mimsy
    4. A short story by Sicon

SECOND PLACE Will also receive a pat on the back and a "well done, son" from Adell. :P

ALSO, at this time, I will announce the topics for five out of the six categories of the quiz.
The six categories are:
  • Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Old Literature
  • Webcomics
  • Tvtropes
  • The Wall Will Fall and the Forums*
  • TBA

*A note on the TWWF section of the quiz: First of all, not all the questions are plot-related; anything that's on the forums is fair game. Second, some answers may refer to Metaguards. These may or may not be active Metaguards; if you find that you are the answer to a question, we ask that you "keep a straight face"-- that is, don't say anything in the mainroom that might hint you know anything about this, so as not to ruin the fun for everybody else.

EDIT: The quiz is over!!!
  • Third place: Eli
  • Second place: Krika
  • First place: Dilly

And our beloved Sophira has given us this log of the entire quiz, with the QMs highlighted in red.
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Final Pub Quiz II Announcements

Postby Guyshane on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:27 pm

I've realized that this is taking place during my aikido class. And I actually could have done well in all those categories, shame :(
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Guyshane wrote:I've realized that this is taking place during my aikido class. And I actually could have done well in all those categories, shame :(

Awwww I wanted to see if you would win this time. :( Hmmm, what's the schedule with your Aikido class? If we know that, it might be possible to shift the time just a little, if everyone else agrees. I can't speak for them, though.

On another note, Qara, you can go ahead and add Mimsy to the list of people willing to record a song for the winner. He will be joining in with me for another duet as long as he can manage the vocal range. I've got more leeway than he does on that count, so it is possible he won't be able to do it, but he can probably manage just about anything.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Just a point of clarification: When we PM a quizmaster our answers, I assume we're doing that with a chat PM, not a forum PM, correct?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Just a point of clarification: When we PM a quizmaster our answers, I assume we're doing that with a chat PM, not a forum PM, correct?

Your assumption would be correct. Every player will be assigned to a different Quiz Host and will send their answers to them only.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 am

My name may be on there for the song, but don't feel obligated to pick me to serenade you because you think it's funny.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 am

Adell wrote:My name may be on there for the song, but don't feel obligated to pick me to serenade you because you think it's funny.

I might feel obligated just because I'm so happy you agreed to sing if someone asks you to. :P
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 am

Adell wrote:My name may be on there for the song, but don't feel obligated to pick me to serenade you because you think it's funny.

I keep telling people nobody should have to do something they're uncomfortable with, I;m sure none of our players are actually that mean.

Uh, given that I bugged you into singing for me before, that's a wee bit hypocritical, isn't it? :oops:
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am

Well... :twisted:

But honestly, I already know what I'm getting if I win (ha, likely /sarcasm). Don't worry Adell, it won't be making you sing. :P
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:51 am

so uh, May/may not make it. :cry:

but if I can make it I will
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:52 am

I almost definitely won't. It's starting at pretty much the same time I'm supposed to start heading home today. :/
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 pm

In one hour from this post, the Pub quiz will begin HERE (please do not spam the chat. You may enter if you like, but no conversing until things begin).

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Quiz is starting officially in four minutes.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Eli in third, Krika second, and Dilly first by an incredible margin.

Dilly, let the QMs know when you've decided which prize you want. :)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Those of you wanting to kill me for super hard questions, just know this: The other QMs took pity on you and only used two of my questions. (And my computer crashed and lost most of them, so...)

Of course, I had two of the hardest ones on the quiz:

Sicon112 wrote:BONSUS TVTROPES QUESITON:

What series provides the page picture for the trope “Adam Smith Hates Your Guts”?

A: Webcomic NerfNow

And

Sicon112 wrote:BONSUS BONSAI QUESTION:

What animated show featured a penguin who trimmed his bonsai tree right before taking off in his spaceship?

A: 3, 2, 1, PENGUINS

The rest of the ones you are mad about are probably Qara. *Throws Qara under the tram* Thanks for taking one for the team!
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Having won, I don't think it would be at all reasonable for me to complain about the questions, but... WOW, lots of them were really hard!

I'm considering which prize option to select. I'll inform you when I've made my decision.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Yeah, I wrote all the TWWF questions. Yes, I know they were impossible. BUT at least the GMs didn't have an unfair advantage! Only obsessive Archive Binging logreaders had an unfair advantage, and they were both QMing the thing!

(Really, I'm sorry about the awful questions. Please don't kill me. If you kill me, I can't write you a song. Or a second, less-evil pub quiz, at some point.)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 am

Oh, and with deep gratitude to Sophira, we have a handy log of the proceedings, with Word of QM highlighted in red for easy reading. *goes to add this to the OP*

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Krika on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 am

I still don't know how I got second place.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Victin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:17 am

What was the TBA round?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am

Victin wrote:What was the TBA round?

It was the Bonsai round, and it was about trees.

You... probably think I'm joking. But I'm not.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:05 pm

All right, due to popular demand I will consider releasing some of the top scores. If you DON'T want your score released, please PM me here or in the chatroom within the next 48 hours.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:22 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
Victin wrote:What was the TBA round?

It was the Bonsai round, and it was about trees.

You... probably think I'm joking. But I'm not.

Most definitely not joking. I mean, look up and you will see the Bonsus Bonsai Quesiton that I wrote for that round. Or go read the transcript.

If people are interested, the other thing I can do is release the questions and their answers so that people who didn't take the quiz can still have fun with them.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Okay, I've made my decision. (It was a VERY difficult decision to make!)

For my prize...

I select...

A short story by Sicon.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Adell on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Okay, I've made my decision. (It was a VERY difficult decision to make!)

For my prize...

I select...

A short story by Sicon.

Hooray! I don't need to sing!
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Next

Return to Metaguard Projects