Revision of the chat logs for release.

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Revision of the chat logs for release.

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm

And the reason it's not worth it.

But before anything, many thanks to Soph, you're awesome and we'd never have this without you. Really, really thank you. :D

Ok... So I have a copy of the logs now, and we were talking about censoring the personal and rule-breaking content out so we could release them for public view. But why?

I believe we can all agree that we'd not do it for ourselves. We were there, we lived through it, we don't need to read it. Although it might be enjoyable to actually read through eventually, we don't want to release them purely out of vanity here. We want to release them so that future readers of the ARGs archives are allowed access to the whole content.

So, the reason to publish is to enable outsiders to access. In order to do we have to think about them, and not us. That's my baseline here. You'll see what I mean shortly. I now have to share you some data.

I used these few days to run some statistics on the logs. There are 11757 full pages of content. Split into 79 files, one for each day from creation to January 14th, one day after the Post-Mortem Lock. The actual content averages 50436 words per day. The page number was tested with Times New Roman 12, and this version of the logs was rebuilt by Soph, with IP addresses and technical status messages removed already. This volume is really all due to our talking, name changes and time stamps.

What this means for those who don't really get the magnitude of the numbers? NaNoWriMo defines that a full-length novel is a narrative with a minimum length of 50000 words. Which applied to above, means we've talked one whole novel each day. We have 79 novels worth of chat content. Just let that sink in before you continue reading.

We publish for the sake of those who aren't familiar, so that they can enjoy the work. Apply that to you. Say we do censor out personal information and get it up. You decide to read about, say, Slender-man. Get into Slendernation and they point you to eleven thousand pages of content, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with the mythos. Would you read that?

Going through the log in that manner is, simply put, stupid. It's a massive undertaking for nothing.

There's still one possibility, but a very small one, to make something out of this. Much like Morgan's visit, we could get excerpts from the logs. Slices of the relevant content. Provided we remember something that was talked, I could easily Ctrl+F to it. Extract the relevant conversation entries and censor, if necessary, that block alone. It's just grunt work as long as we remember something about what we want to get. If we can use the forum time stamps to zoom in on the date, then the process is as straightforward as it gets, without requiring anyone to go through 79 novels.

But even that has a problem. Get too many slices and we'll end up with some nine thousand pages, turning back to the same problem. One hundred pages is already a lot. Even considering the chat format, that's more pages than we'd get if we combined all of our TvTropes pages regarding the game. And they do a much better job at telling a story than the chat log could possibly do.

Ultimately, I don't think it's worth releasing it for public view at all. But, if we do remember anything that happened there, and only there, that is highly relevant and worthy of a mention, then it's possible to extract it. In order to cut down redundancy and the final page to a minimum, this shouldn't include anything that we already brought to the forums in some form or another or any of the usual chatroom madness. And I do think that 100 pages are a fair limit for the excerpt, in total, considering the view of someone reading through the archives for the ARG's story.

Besides, if we, working together, don't remember something... Is it really worthy trying to unearth it?
Just to reassure you guys, it'll never be destroyed. My own copy would require me, my computer and Google to die an horrible death in order to become inaccessible. And Soph surely has her own measures of backup in place too. I'm not saying that we shouldn't preserve them, I'm just saying that it's silly and borderline insane to try to read through it and try to filter it for the general public.

It would attract visitors here just to see if the eleven thousand pages log is real or not. ._. But no one would read it.

Laconic: The logs are gigantic. Not really worth to release them as they are. Extract pieces? Drop the project? Plunge ahead and go through all of it anyway?
Last edited by Pixelmage on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Re: Revision of the chat logs for release.

Postby Scarab on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Those NUMBERS, man... *shudder*Yeah I think we can agree this was a freakin' CRAZY idea to begin with.

I do quite like the idea of us being to take out certain smaller discussions and sticking them up somewhere but we'd have to be extremely selective in exactly WHAT we decided was worth seeing, and off the top of my head... I really can't think of ANYTHING, besides the time when Morgan showed up, that is worth keeping track of.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 pm

I think it might be worth it to get a few moments... I of course only really remember stuff I was there for and/or instrumental in.

When I figured out the mysterious number we had was Long John Silver's phone number, I reported it in the chat first, and though that development is recorded in the forum, it might be cool to have the excerpt of the chat discussion where that went down.

I'm sure there are a few other examples of pieces that it would be nice to have.

The Morgan incident is of course already recorded elsewhere, so we don't need to worry about losing it.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:21 pm

There were a number of times-- especially when certain people's (ahem) paranoia was running rampant-- that a plan was developed/discussed in detail in the chat, but never mentioned on the forums, to "avoid the Cabal finding out". Stuff like this would be useful to have a public log to cite where the Timeline lists them.

Also, there's the whole "everyone reacting to Adell fighting Cthulhu in real-time" event in the chatroom. I'd say that's worth preserving/ making public, along with a couple of the GM reveals that happened there.

(And if this does happen, I volunteer for the revision team.)
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 pm

I think we should keep things that were reported on the forums out, if only as an arbitrary way to cut volume as much as we can.

But Qara has an excellent point in the Timeline, entries there should offer links to the event in the archive, so events from the chatroom that made it into the Timeline should be extracted. It's a good starting point, at least.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Yeah, i was thinking about it and I've come to the same conclusion on this topic. Just too much there. If you can manage to unearth sections of the logs that are referenced in the timeline, I think that's about all we need to do. If anyone needs my help I'll see if I can pull out the relevant bits from my memory. No promises. I've got a good memory, but it isn't THAT good.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dana on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 am

Fuck, guys. You beat NaNo and you beat it HARD.

Just keep doing that and crowdsource all of your future novels. It will apparently take LITERALLY A DAY.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby JRPictures on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 am

Dana wrote:Fuck, guys. You beat NaNo and you beat it HARD.

Just keep doing that and crowdsource all of your future novels. It will apparently take LITERALLY A DAY.

What can I say we're just that good :D
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am

JRPictures wrote:

What can I say we're just that good :D

Pro, even.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

*mutters something about RPs*
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm

I kinda want to see a novel told entirely through chatlogs now.
JackAlsworth

Postby Scarab on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:

>.>

*Will totally NOT admit that she has also thought about this and actually creating something like that one day*
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Scarab wrote:
JackAlsworth wrote:

>.>

*Will totally NOT admit that she has also thought about this and actually creating something like that one day*

I third this idea. Actually that gives me a perfect idea. I think I might come up with a new thread in the forums.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Pixelmage on Wed May 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Oh hai there. I totally wasn't dreading this task. No, sir. Most definitely not. :P But, I did sweep the Timeline for chat mentions looking for the entries that would require a log excerpt, so here's what I found.

• Oct 28th - Chat creation ~ It's just a statement that it exists, no log required.
  • Oct 30th - Panic over Tara's blog hack ~ This one we could have, but simply showing panicky "omg omg" isn't really worthwhile content to have public.
  • Nov 7th - Evil Plan to unmask Deanna ~ I'm against extracting this, we don't want to give future ARG players any bad ideas that they don't come up with on their own. Suffice to say what we already did.
  • Nov 11th - Girl talk. Dryu's awarded the honorary girl badge ~ Noodle Incident? Makes Just as Much Sense in Context? Either way, it's something best left unexplained. No one except us who where there would really get it, anyway.
  • Nov 13th - Guy talk suggestion, element day ~ Follow up Noodle to the above.
  • Nov 20th - Privacy freakout ~ This involves us mentioning things that were uncomfortable, I'd have to censor so much of it that it wouldn't have enough left to make a decent telling.
  • Nov 24th - Argument over going for the wall pieces ~ We agreed to recover one. But this conclusion was moved to the forums in a series of posts, the logs would be redundant. And I won't extract the discussion itself.
  • Dec 6th - Argument, Joe and Ed make up ~ I'm not going to release this part of the log. Simple as that.
  • Dec 9th - Argument over Cabal's refic ~ Yet another argument. And another one I'm against showing publicly.
Overall, there's nothing from the timeline that would require a log and that doesn't already have one satisfactory link or description. I won't extract the arguments, so the only real thing to consider is November 11th and 13th, which I don't think are necessary, but that's up to you guys.

Of course, if I missed any entries let me know. :)
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby IslaKariese on Wed May 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I would ask about Morgana's chat hack, but we already reported that, didn't we?
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Pixelmage on Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

IslaKariese wrote:I would ask about Morgana's chat hack, but we already reported that, didn't we?

Yes, the excerpt for that one was actually saved and hosted by the GMs as soon as her visit was over, and it's already linked there.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Return to Metaguard Projects