TWWF Monopoly

Be creative! We know you can be <3

TWWF Monopoly

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Okay, when people say things to Scarab, things happen, and now we have to figure out how exactly we'd map out a Monopoly board in tribute to TWWF.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

• 22 streets (groupings to be decided later, with two exceptions)-- corresponding to all the fictionals and characters we had interaction with (aside from the Cabal) :
    • Two lowest-ranking streets paired together:
      1. Romeo
      2. Juliet
    • Adam Frankenstein
    • Cheshire Cat
    • Don Quixote
    • Poirot
    • Holmes
    • Gulliver
    • LJS
    • Peter Pan
    • Sweeney Todd
    • Wicked Witch of the West
    • Tara Coulson
    • Joan Lawson
    • Brad Foreman
    • James Raikes
    • Gnarbrydh
    • The Regulator
    • Subject Psi
    • Angel
    • Two highest-ranking streets, paired together:
      1. Gurt
      2. Mr. Administrator
  • Four railroads-- corresponding to the four core Cabal members
  • Two utilities-- Layar and the Cthulhu app
  • Chance and Community Chest-- Joe posts and Ed posts, naturally.
  • Luxury Tax and Income Tax-- Medusa and Anansi (?)
  • Jail/Go To Jail-- the Bright White Void
  • GO-- Watch The Footage/ the forum
  • Free Parking-- the chatroom
  • Houses and hotels-- I'm thinking Echoes and Wall Pieces (this is currently a matter of debate, however...)
  • Money = forum posts. Because this makes sense? (alternatives that I can think of include refics, Cthulhu songs, or just boring old money)
  • Pieces-- Us, of course!

Clearly, some of these things would depend on consensus and/or need further discussion before being finalized.

Other matters we would have to consider are character groupings for the properties (since aside from the two pairs I proposed, they're all split into groups of three), the text of Chance and Community Chest cards, etc.
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: TWWF Monopoly

Postby Scarab on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Okay, when people say things to Scarab, things happen, and now we have to figure out how exactly we'd map out a Monopoly board in tribute to TWWF

I will accept the burden of my responsibility. :twisted: The only problem is, now I have to relearn how the heck you even play Monopoly.

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Houses and hotels-- I'm thinking Echoes and Wall Pieces (this is currently a matter of debate, however...)

Money = forum posts. Because this makes sense? (alternatives that I can think of include refics, Cthulhu songs, or just boring old money)

Well they're something we all have in mass quanitities and something we all placed in different characters' threads, which ties them into characters. (NICE idea for Joe and Ed to be the Chance and Community cards, too).

Hm... hey maybe we could use the symbols from the app for the playing pieces? The Trillesk, the Ankh and all that? Course that's only four... I'm sure we can come up with more, though.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm

One suggestion: Jail should be the chatroom, not the void. My reasoning is obvious. You go to the chatroom, and YOU CAN NEVAH LEAVE!
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:One suggestion: Jail should be the chatroom, not the void. My reasoning is obvious. You go to the chatroom, and YOU CAN NEVAH LEAVE!

I thought that was the coffee room.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
AMimsyBorogove wrote:One suggestion: Jail should be the chatroom, not the void. My reasoning is obvious. You go to the chatroom, and YOU CAN NEVAH LEAVE!

That's just what I was thinking, the Coffee Room fits better.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 pm

What is the estimated cost?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:What is the estimated cost?

Of each property? I'm assuming we'd pull it from a standard board, and divide between the characters accordingly (for example, Quixote would be on the high end, because he's made of distilled Awesome, whereas Gulliver, with whom we had very little meaningful interaction, would probably find himself closer to the Baltic-and-Mediterranean / Romeo-and-Juliet side of things. All this subject to common agreement, of course).

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 pm

No, I meant to purchase the game. I want to be able to actually play this with my friends and family, to hear the arguing over who's using the duck, the beetle, or the heart. That is what I'm asking. How much will it cost for something priceless?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:No, I meant to purchase the game. I want to be able to actually play this with my friends and family, to hear the arguing over who's using the duck, the beetle, or the heart. That is what I'm asking. How much will it cost for something priceless?

However much it costs to print a custom game board. There aren't enough of us to justify doing a real print run, even if everyone wanted to pay for a physical copy. So you'd have to go print-on-demand, which means it would be more expensive than just buying a typical game off the shelf, unless you had it done at very low quality.

Just printing out a cardboard game board would not be too expensive, but custom game pieces would be pricey beyond belief. The cards would fall somewhere in between.

Really, once all the design is done, the only way to make a real copy would be largely DIY, and the cost would vary wildly depending on how you do it.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:00 pm

It would be easy enough, with some minor photoshopping, colour printer, and good tape, to print off some TWWF versions of the board, cards, etc. and overlay them on a regular Monopoly set. As for the pieces-- well, I know that I've found some excellent Monopoly pieces (for a Star Trek Monopoly game on sale at a con, missing the pieces and a few other things but still awesome) by being creative at a dollar store-- say, animal erasers would probably cover the duck and the beetle... Or you could print little images/tags and attach to pieces of card small enough to move as pieces.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Pieces on the forum-Our Metaguard Characters from the ARG Player Profiles. But maybe we should wait until Scarab finishes all of the drawings.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Nah, Monopoly characters aren't shaped like people. Maybe the wall pieces...?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Victin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Nah, Monopoly characters aren't shaped like people. Maybe the wall pieces...?

Maybe one of the Monopoly characters could be shaped as a wall piece. The others could be shaped as Don Quixote's horse, LJS and Gulliver's ship, Moriarty's table, Poirot's masks, etc.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby JackAlsworth on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:23 am

Suggestion: the "go back 3 spaces" chance card flavor text should be, "RUN RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH!"
JackAlsworth

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 am

Victin wrote:
Endless Sea wrote:Nah, Monopoly characters aren't shaped like people. Maybe the wall pieces...?

Maybe one of the Monopoly characters could be shaped as a wall piece. The others could be shaped as Don Quixote's horse, LJS and Gulliver's ship, Moriarty's table, Poirot's masks, etc.

Hmmm....

Cheshire's head, Poirot's mask ( the first one), Holmes's pipe, Sweeney's razor, Quixote's horse , The Witch's/Theodora's/Elphaba's broom, LJS'S Ship, Gulliver's Journal, Romeo and Juliet-not sure, Adam's script, Erik's mask, Morgana-not sure, Don Juan-not sure, Moriarty's cane, Peter Pan's hat, and Mr. A's book.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 am

Hey, so if we get our act together on this and iron out some details before March 30th, we can all play this online together for International Tabletop Day! (No I am not crazy I am just obsessed with Felicia Day why do you ask)

I think what the pieces are is probably our least-important bit of information to solve (especially if we'll be playing it with each other via the internet). I don't have a Monopoly game in front of me right now, on account of being at school, but at some point we should look at the messages on each of the Chance and Community Chest cards to work on how to adapt them (Thank you, Jack, for getting us started :D).

There's also the matter of grouping characters together for the properties price groupings-- another thing we're going to want to consult a board before going into too much, though we can already start thinking about potential groups of three. For example, Quixote, Tara, and Brad would be an obvious trio, with Quixote as the slightly-more-expensive one of the three.

As to how we could play it together-- Pixel said he might look into how to adapt an online Monopoly playing-thing to support this (sorry, I forget what the proper terminology is XD), which would be amazing. Short of that, it would be simple enough to use an online dice-roll tool (or just roll our own dice in our homes) and set up a board on a google doc. For the cards-- I'm not sure if there's some program we can use to randomize their distribution, but if not, then we can always replace the role of "banker" with "GM" and have someone willing to just shuffle their own set of Monopoly cards, and read out the messages when needed.

(Oh, and if this happens, we're doing it late. I am NOT missing out on TWWF Monopoly for International Tabletop Day just because March 30 is a Saturday! :P)

EDIT: I found the current text of the cards online, after all!
Chance cards:
  • Advance to Go (Collect $200)
  • Advance to Illinois Ave. - If you pass Go, collect $200
  • Advance to St. Charles Place – If you pass Go, collect $200
  • Advance token to nearest Utility. If unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. If owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times the amount thrown.
  • Advance token to the nearest Railroad and pay owner twice the rental to which he/she is otherwise entitled. If Railroad is unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. (There are two of these.)
  • Bank pays you dividend of $50
  • Get out of Jail Free – This card may be kept until needed, or traded/sold {
  • Go back 3 spaces
  • Go to Jail – Go directly to Jail – Do not pass Go, do not collect $200
  • Make general repairs on all your property – For each house pay $25 – For each hotel $100
  • Pay poor tax of $15
  • Take a trip to Reading Railroad - If you pass Go, collect $200
  • Take a walk on the Boardwalk – Advance token to Boardwalk
  • You have been elected Chairman of the Board – Pay each player $50
  • Your building and loan matures – Collect $150

Community Chest:
  • Advance to Go (Collect $200)
  • Bank error in your favor – Collect $200
  • Doctor's fees – Pay $50
  • From sale of stock you get $50
  • Get Out of Jail Free – This card may be kept until needed or sold
  • Go to Jail – Go directly to jail – Do not pass Go – Do not collect $200
  • Grand Opera Night – Collect $50 from every player for opening night seats
  • Holiday Fund matures - Receive $100
  • Income tax refund – Collect $20
  • Life insurance matures – Collect $100
  • Pay hospital fees of $100
  • Pay school fees of $150
  • Receive for services $25
  • You are assessed for street repairs – $40 per house – $115 per hotel
  • You have won second prize in a beauty contest – Collect $10
  • You inherit $100

So at some point, we can start changing these. I already have a couple ideas for some of them...

Also, fun fact: I learned from this bit of research that the Monopoly games I'm familiar with in Canada are actually more similar to the UK model than the US one. Who'd have thought?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

Duly noted.

I've gotten a small start on the cards:

Chance:
  • Sign in to the forums (Collect $200)
  • Advance to Illinois Ave. - If you pass Go, collect $200 [we will change this one once we have assigned a character to replace Illinois]
  • Advance to St. Charles Place – If you pass Go, collect $200 [we will change this one once we have assigned a character to replace St. Charles]
  • Advance token to nearest App. If unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. If owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times the amount thrown.
  • Advance token to the nearest Cabal member and pay owner twice the rental to which he/she is otherwise entitled. If Cabal member is unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. (There are two of these.)
  • Bank pays you dividend of $50 [??]
  • Get out of the Coffee Room Free – This card may be kept until needed, or traded/sold {
  • RUN, RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH! Go back 3 spaces
  • Go to the Coffee Room – Go directly to the Coffee Room – Do not catch up on the forums, do not collect $200
  • Make general repairs on all your property – For each house pay $25 – For each hotel $100 [??]
  • Pay poor tax of $15 [??]
  • Take a trip to Reading Railroad - If you pass Go, collect $200 [we will change this one once we have assigned a Cabal member to replace Reading]
  • Have a talk on Twitter with Mr. Administrator - advance token to Mr. Administrator.
  • You have been made a Mod of the Board – Pay each player $50
  • Your building and loan matures – Collect $150 [??]

Community Chest:
  • Sign into the forums (Collect $200)
  • Sequence Breaking in your favor – Collect $200
  • Doctor's fees – Pay $50 [??]
  • From sale of stock you get $50 [??]
  • Get Out of the Coffee Room Free – This card may be kept until needed or sold
  • Go to the Coffee Room – Go directly to the Coffee Room – Do not catch up on the forums – Do not collect $200
  • Pub Quiz Night – Collect $50 from every player for opening night seats
  • Holiday Fund matures - Receive $100 [??]
  • Income tax refund – Collect $20 [??]
  • Life insurance matures – Collect $100 [??]
  • Pay hospital fees of $100 [??]
  • Pay school fees of $150 [??]
  • Receive for services $25 [??]
  • You are assessed for street repairs – $40 per house – $115 per hotel [??]
  • You have won second prize in a #RiddleTime contest – Collect $10
  • You inherit $100 [??]

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Reading "Do not pass go" made me think of Nethack instead of Monopoly.
Yeah, that probably means I'm not familiar with it that much. :D
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Dryunya wrote:Reading "Do not pass go" made me think of Nethack instead of Monopoly.

"Go to Jail! Go directly to Jai! Do not pass Go! Do not collect $200 dollars!" That's my favorite card, cause it's just so pushy. ;)
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Scarab on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Dryunya wrote:Reading "Do not pass go" made me think of Nethack instead of Monopoly.

"Go to Jail! Go directly to Jai! Do not pass Go! Do not collect $200 dollars!" That's my favorite card, cause it's just so pushy. ;)

Ohhh wait, now I remember. You guys will all have played a different VERSION of Monopoly. Our version is all London streets, with the most expensive area being some place called Mayfair...

Also, where are we getting all this MONEY? :P
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:Suggestion: the "go back 3 spaces" chance card flavor text should be, "RUN RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH!"

Yes. Just yes.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby JRPictures on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I just gotta say how much I love this idea.

JackAlsworth wrote:Suggestion: the "go back 3 spaces" chance card flavor text should be, "RUN RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH!"

Now that is awesome
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

Yes. Just yes.

Your argument is invalid. You are hereby sentenced to three turns in the chatroom; do not pass go, do not collect 200 posts.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Okay, so I finished "translating" the Chance and Community Chest (Joe and Ed) cards (subject to everyone's approval, of course) :

Chance:
  • Sign in to the forums (Collect $200)
  • Advance to Illinois Ave. - If you pass Go, collect $200 [we will change this one once we have assigned a character to replace Illinois]
  • Advance to St. Charles Place – If you pass Go, collect $200 [we will change this one once we have assigned a character to replace St. Charles]
  • Advance token to nearest App. If unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. If owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times the amount thrown.
  • Advance token to the nearest Cabal member and pay owner twice the rental to which he/she is otherwise entitled. If Cabal member is unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. (There are two of these.)
  • Help the detectives with their mysteries. Collect $50
  • Get out of the Coffee Room Free – This card may be kept until needed, or traded/sold.
  • RUN, RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH! Go back 3 spaces
  • Go to the Coffee Room – Go directly to the Coffee Room – Do not catch up on the forums, do not collect $200
  • Agent X is annoyed that Mr. Administrator still hasn't paid him – For each Echo pay $25 – For each Wall Piece $100
  • Gender Confusion. Pay $15
  • Take a trip to Reading Railroad - If you pass Go, collect $200 [we will change this one once we have assigned a Cabal member to replace Reading]
  • Have a talk on Twitter with Mr. Administrator - advance token to Mr. Administrator.
  • You have been made a Mod of the Board – Pay each player $50
  • Your plot is successfully brought to fruition – Collect $150

Community Chest:
  • Sign into the forums (Collect $200)
  • Sequence Breaking in your favor – Collect $200
  • Quixote's doctor's fees – Pay $50
  • Correct trope identification. Collect $50
  • Get Out of the Coffee Room Free – This card may be kept until needed or sold
  • Go to the Coffee Room – Go directly to the Coffee Room – Do not catch up on the forums – Do not collect $200
  • Pub Quiz Night – Collect $50 from every player for opening night seats
  • Uncover a new Pheeble chat - Receive $100
  • #RiddleTime – Collect $20
  • Successful refic – Collect $100
  • Sweeney Todd smashed your pumpkin. Pay $100
  • The Wicked Witch is after you. Pay $150
  • Mr. Administrator smiles at you. Receive $25
  • Your IRL friends are starting to give you funny looks – Pay $40 per Echo – $115 per Wall Piece
  • Yarr, desu desu kawaii indeed. You have won second prize in a beauty contest – Collect $10
  • You become a Meta-Knight. Collect $100

AAAnnnd now for splitting the characters up into groupings (in no particular order, other than the first and last pairs) :
  • Romeo and Juliet together, obviously
    1. Romeo
    2. Juliet
  • Todd and the two characters who interacted with him
    1. Sweeney Todd
    2. Joan Lawson
    3. Hercule Poirot
  • Raikespeare and the two characters who interacted with him
    1. James Pattison Raikes
    2. Lemuel Gulliver
    3. Sherlock Holmes
  • The three characters whose plotlines were heavily influenced by the Cabal
    1. Peter Pan
    2. Adam Frankenstein
    3. Long John Silver
  • Three Metaguards
    1. Gnarbrydh
    2. Subject Psi
    3. Angel
  • The three most meta characters
    1. The Regulator
    2. The wicked Witch of the West
    3. The Cheshire Cat
  • The three main characters of Quixote's plotline
    1. Tara Coulson
    2. Brad Foreman
    3. Don Quixote
  • The important Fourth Wall guys
    1. Gurt
    2. Mr. Administrator
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Adell on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm

I liked endless's idea that the currency is posts :lol:
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Next

Return to Metaguard Projects