Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby H22 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:58 pm

[quote=Rick the troll]  (I’ll leave it to someone from Europe to go into detail about the things Belgians don’t do right… made the mistake once of asking a French person that question, and got an hour-long harangue about Belgians). [/quote]

We're here to set you right.

I may be British, but I spent a few years living in Belgium, and like the country hugely. Out of all the countries in Europe to love, I have the one the British media makes a sport of hating, and which is only seen as notable for paedophiles, poison, and diamond heists. Sigh. On the plus side, I get to know loads about chocolate, so basically I'm happy. It also means I actually care about the issue Poirot attacked Verhaeren about, and have a definite opinion. Probably uniquely for the forum.

So yes! Cultural Exchange: Belgium! Ask away.

(Disclaimer: this is in no way about the worst word in the universe. Sorry.)
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby Scarab on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Ooh, souns fun :D

Well obviously the first question I have to ask is: is your chocolate really as good as everyone says it is?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby H22 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Scarab wrote:Ooh, souns fun :D

Well obviously the first question I have to ask is: is your chocolate really as good as everyone says it is?


Of course. I'm eating some now, and it genuinely is the food of the gods. The problem is that my favourite shop is in a somewhat less savoury district of town. It's worth it. To make you feel less jealous, I think my favourite has shops in Britain and the USA. (Leonidas or the eminent, acclaimed, old, royal Chocolatier Neuhaus? I think the former, through extensive sampling, but both are divine. Also, Swiss chocolate isn't a patch on ours. :D) It is as good.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm

I know next to nothing about Belgium. Tell me, are Belgian waffles at all appropriately named?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby H22 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 am

narrativedilettante wrote:I know next to nothing about Belgium. Tell me, are Belgian waffles at all appropriately named?


Yes. Sweet ones are, generally, although I've never actually seen a savoury potato waffle in Belgium. The might be because if you've got chocolate......and waffles.......I would definitely combine the two of them. (I've never had an American waffle, though, it's hard to tell. :D)
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

H22 wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:I know next to nothing about Belgium. Tell me, are Belgian waffles at all appropriately named?


Yes. Sweet ones are, generally, although I've never actually seen a savoury potato waffle in Belgium. The might be because if you've got chocolate......and waffles.......I would definitely combine the two of them. (I've never had an American waffle, though, it's hard to tell. :D)


Hm. I've never seen a savory potato waffle outside of Belgium... but according to the internet it's a thing.

In America we typically have maple syrup with our waffles, but chocolate and other sweet things are also used.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby Scarab on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Having experienced two different education systems, how different would you say school in Belgium is compared to school here in the uk?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Cultural Exchange: Belgium

Postby H22 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Scarab wrote:Having experienced two different education systems, how different would you say school in Belgium is compared to school here in the uk?


I'm home educated. :D .
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am


Return to Metaguard Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron