Music Composition

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Music Composition

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:49 pm

I've been wanting to start a thread like this for a little while, and now it's finally here :mrgreen:

This topic is all about composing music. Not writing a song, but more creating melodies and rhythms. I myself am trying to get into a music school that teaches Composition for the Media, and I could use a little motivation preparing for it ;)

So I was wondering: Have you guys composed your own music? What kind of music, and where did the inspiration come from. What programs do you use, or do you record your music straight from the instrument?

I myself have mostly used Anvil Studio for my compositions. A melody usually pops up in my head, only to be forgotten after 5 minutes (which is a shame). I have a little something I can let you hear if someone can explain me how :lol:
Last edited by RotavatoR on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RotavatoR

Re: Music Composition

Postby Endless Sea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Also, for those of us who want to compose something but don't know how, maybe some examples of where/how to get some music programs or something? ^^
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 pm

I've tried to compose music.

I can't.

My brain just won't generate new melodies. Previous attempts have all turned out to be either the song "I Wanna Be a Producer" or Jonathan Coulton's "You Ruined Everything."
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I've done small melodies ever since the 6th or 7th grade. When I had access to a piano, I'd pick them out on a keyboard, but they'd be sickeningly simple since I can't actually play piano. Only thing I can play is the violin, and that doesn't lend to complex melodies. I can't write music either, so that's out as well. It's a bit of a curse really - I don't go very long without an original song bouncing around in my head, but I have little to no way to express them.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Victin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:10 pm

I can't properly play any instrument, so I can't really compose music. What is horrible, because sometimes I make up some neat melodies, and I can't take them to the real world. *sigh* I can only dream of being able to one day do so.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Victin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Well, guess what, I found the lyrics of a small melody for keyboard, and used this site in the demo to write it down. On piano it didn't sound like it was on keyboard, and also I don't remembr much of it, so it may be slower than it was. There's also the flute melody, which is an adaptation from this one to flute, but I suppose both could go together. I don't remember. I might scan the original sheet and post here, or just write in that site. Anyways, here it is.
Attachments
Music_Sheet.PNG
Music_Sheet.PNG (31.55 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby RotavatoR on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:I've tried to compose music.

I can't.

My brain just won't generate new melodies. Previous attempts have all turned out to be either the song "I Wanna Be a Producer" or Jonathan Coulton's "You Ruined Everything."

This happens to me a lot too. I'm thinking of a really nice melody, and then when it progresses, I come to the terrible conclusion that it already exists. What I do when that happens is I try to keep the music in the same style, but I choose completely different notes to make it still sound different :)
...If that makes sense >_>

IslaKariese wrote:I've done small melodies ever since the 6th or 7th grade. When I had access to a piano, I'd pick them out on a keyboard, but they'd be sickeningly simple since I can't actually play piano. Only thing I can play is the violin, and that doesn't lend to complex melodies. I can't write music either, so that's out as well. It's a bit of a curse really - I don't go very long without an original song bouncing around in my head, but I have little to no way to express them.

I think what you need is a composing program. Really, the easiest way to express your music is with a simple Piano Roll composer. You won't need to know how to write music, because you can very easily set the duration and pitch of the note (among other settings) by making the notebar longer or placing it higher or lower on the Piano Roll. I hope I'm explaining it clearly?
RotavatoR

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:51 pm

The rare times I have been able to come up with a tune for something, which usually happens by accident rather than deliberately, I eventually get around to figuring out how to approximate it on the piano, then transcribe the sheet music for what I'm playing. Fortunately, I have many years of piano lessons behind me, so that much is not beyond me, and I can read sheet music.

I have no clue about programs for it, though I remember my cousin once said he was designing an app that would transcribe sheet music if you play a tune at it... don't know what ever became of that. And I'm generally not one to compose music, anyway.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:35 pm

I used to play the guitar a bit, though I wasn't that good at it. Tried to compose one thing or two, :P I don't know where I left the recording of those (they were really simple though, like 30 seconds and then they repeated...) also, I made mistakes when recording... because, you know, it totally makes sense to get nervous when recording in your home... alone :oops:
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Well, I did study some music, and have an inherited violin. Which is quite badass, or would be if I knew how to use the thing, or do anything vaguely music related at all. >_<
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby H22 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I play four musical instruments, and I do compose. My DQ refic was a composition :D . I do use some programs (and used to have the über-awesome (£500 for PCs) Sibelius). They're not really complex, huge, or very good, but it's fairly easy to do.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Alexander Moser on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:14 am

I write music sometimes. In particular, most of the music that appeared in the ARG was written by me, with the exception of the metaguards song that was appropriated for the credits and maybe anything else I'm forgetting. I actually started working on a suite for the credits before that became a thing, but I only got as far as a not-quite-finished version of the Watch The Footage theme song. I'm not sure it's any good, but at least one person likes it enough to insist I post it. There also exists an 8-bit version, but you'll have to ask Sophie for that.

I've also got a pretty small and outdated soundcloud page in case you enjoy stalking me.
Actor (Joe, Wicked Witch), Video Director, Visual Effects/CG/Post-processing
Alexander Moser
Puppetmaster

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:18 am

Alexander Moser wrote:I write music sometimes. In particular, most of the music that appeared in the ARG was written by me, with the exception of the metaguards song that was appropriated for the credits and maybe anything else I'm forgetting. I actually started working on a suite for the credits before that became a thing, but I only got as far as a not-quite-finished version of the Watch The Footage theme song. I'm not sure it's any good, but at least one person likes it enough to insist I post it. There also exists an 8-bit version, but you'll have to ask Sophie for that.

I've also got a pretty small and outdated soundcloud page in case you enjoy stalking me.

Thanks for the awesome music, Alex! :D
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Sophira on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 am

Yep, I made an 8-bit version of that tune too. :D (actually 8-bit, that is - the way I made it, you'd be able to play it on a real C64 with a SID player)

I've put an MP3 version up at http://neo.theblob.org/tvt-joe-c64.mp3 if you want to check it out. :D
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 am

Both of these songs are now added to my "The Wall Will Fall" album on iTunes:
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 10.26.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 10.26.52 AM.png (684.78 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby JRPictures on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:42 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:Both of these songs are now added to my "The Wall Will Fall" album on iTunes:
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 10.26.52 AM.png

Woah you made an album?

Thats awesome
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby IslaKariese on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 pm

One of these days, I'll actually write that violin theme I hinted at an eternity ago...
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Scarab on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:02 pm

IslaKariese wrote:One of these days, I'll actually write that violin theme I hinted at an eternity ago...

And when you do we shall all be fighting to be firast in line for the download :D

I really need to clar up my The Wall Will Fall playlist... it's got all sorts of random and like, six different prerelease versions of Make a Metaguard out of You on it :/

Pssst plz to be violining Joe's Theme :D
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby IslaKariese on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Scarab wrote:
IslaKariese wrote:One of these days, I'll actually write that violin theme I hinted at an eternity ago...

Where do I listen to that?
IslaKariese

Postby Scarab on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Scarab wrote:

Where do I listen to that?

He linked it up there ^^^ :D
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby IslaKariese on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Ah, I hear it... He says it's unfinished, though, and I dunno what I would add to it if I tried to finish it myself, but the more I listen, the more I feel I could do with my violin. You know, with the right recording and computer equipment and programs. I never did learn how to splice and combine different parts of a track...
IslaKariese

Return to Metaguard Projects