Minecraft Filmcast

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Minecraft Filmcast

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

So, We have a minecraft server, and I like stories. So I got together with Sicon, Pixel, and Scarab to talk about having a minecraft story, which we'd then upload to youtube (think yogscast or something). It isn't fully fleshed out, but it's something we'd like to attempt.

What we need:

Permission to do stuff in the server from the other current users: Krika and AMimsyBorogove
Sicon said something about teleporting all those participating halfway across the world, so to not interfere with anyone else's projects that don't want to participate.

More people:
If you want to, we can include more players. the server can hold up to 10 people at any given moment. there is a possibility for there to be more, but we'd have to schedule it to make sure everyone got play time.

so, yeah. that's the general idea. :) Contact me if you have any comments/questions.
eli_gone_crazy

Re: Minecraft Filmcast

Postby Krika on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm

I'd be happy to be involved. Doing this kind of story would be something I'd love to do. At the very least, I don't have much issue with people using my area as a to work in.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Guyshane on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 pm

If I get minecraft by the time you guys start I'll join
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Krika wrote:I'd be happy to be involved. Doing this kind of story would be something I'd love to do. At the very least, I don't have much issue with people using my area as a to work in.

The big question though is that we'd probably have a better storytelling potential on Tekkit Lite, due to Mystcraft and Dimensional Doors. Migrating to it would entail replacing the server and starting again. So that's one thing we'd have to make sure all the players on the current server (currently 6) agree with the change.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Krika on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 pm

*shrugs*

I've stalled out on what to do on the server honestly, other than slowly change over my roof into the proper materials. A change of pace wouldn't be objected to by me.
Krika
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:55 am

This kind of thing might actually be enough for me to bother getting Tekkit, because it would be fun to get involved.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby SpiritfChaos on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 pm

I wanna help!
I'm just a guy who wants to help save the world.
SpiritfChaos

Postby Scarab on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 am

With this many players we'd be looking at a rather sizable cast and everyone could have their own episode focuses.
I'm trying to help Eli and Pixel out with the organizing on account of the fact I'm the only one who has any time to do it, but the creative mind that instigated this was all Eli.

We're considering the use of Mystcraft, because the storytelling potential of alternate worlds is just too good to pass up, but there would be quite a balance here of Le's Play Gameplay to actual storytelling. A lot of it would continue to be gameplay. Lets get together and see what we can create :D
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm

So, yeah. We're looking at Tekkit Lite for the game... I guess I can edit in the download link for the tekkit launcher later, once I've bothered someone who actually knows. I can also try to get the links for the Sphax texture pack... It's not perfect for Lite, there are some holes, but its still a pretty decent texture pack.

We're also going to need a way to record Audio and Video for whatever. If anyone has a good idea of where to get either of those, that would be helpful. I won't be speaking, but I can probably record audio on my laptop, and mesh it with the video later.

Lastly is just figuring out some form of story. I'll be trying to do things on my end, look for good story ideas. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, just drop a comment here, or PM me. :)
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Krika on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm

After doing some age-hopping, I think that without lots of planning, age-hopping will be tricky to work with, especially if we don't plan everything out ahead of time, since often the ages you randomly jump to are tricky to navigate, or dangerous. So, if we do that, we'd at least have to plan out what ages we were going to ahead of time (unless one of you knows how to spawn in the symbols so we can MAKE usable ages).
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 pm

That's part of the game. :P

You can trade for symbols in villages, and find them inside ages themselves. And yes, the unstable ages are DANGEROUS. Which is a good part of the fun. :3
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Krika on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Ok, see, I'm not sure how scripted this would be, so I really don't know if/when the randomness is something to be expected or worked around.
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Scarab on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Krika wrote:Ok, see, I'm not sure how scripted this would be, so I really don't know if/when the randomness is something to be expected or worked around.

Randomness is indeed to be expected. In fact most of it will BE randomness. The idea for most of the time is that people just.... play minecraft, the way pretty much every other online minecrafter does. The story itself will unfold slowly, in the background, with just hints and ideas until a point is reached wherein the storyline begins to show up. We have a rough idea as to what that storyline will entail but we're not 100% planned out yet.

The characters will interact with each other, different players/characters will be the focus of different episodes and asides from some direction being occasionally given by the writers (sometimes players will be asked to go on missions with other players, or something) every player is allowed to play however they usually would. They just happen to be recording it. It needs to be authentic player experiences to make a compelling and believable story. if at any point anyone feels too much like they're just acting, then we're missing our goal :)

Think of it as being like when we were playing the ARG: basically we're just being ourselves, but we're still aware that we're framed by a character-based scenario.

Pixelmage wrote:That's part of the game. :P
You can trade for symbols in villages, and find them inside ages themselves. And yes, the unstable ages are DANGEROUS. Which is a good part of the fun. :3

Fun, yeah, but let's try not to do any damage to the server :P
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby SpiritfChaos on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Scarab wrote:
Krika wrote:Ok, see, I'm not sure how scripted this would be, so I really don't know if/when the randomness is something to be expected or worked around.

Randomness is indeed to be expected. In fact most of it will BE randomness. The idea for most of the time is that people just.... play minecraft, the way pretty much every other online minecrafter does. The story itself will unfold slowly, in the background, with just hints and ideas until a point is reached wherein the storyline begins to show up. We have a rough idea as to what that storyline will entail but we're not 100% planned out yet.

The characters will interact with each other, different players/characters will be the focus of different episodes and asides from some direction being occasionally given by the writers (sometimes players will be asked to go on missions with other players, or something) every player is allowed to play however they usually would. They just happen to be recording it. It needs to be authentic player experiences to make a compelling and believable story. if at any point anyone feels too much like they're just acting, then we're missing our goal :)

Think of it as being like when we were playing the ARG: basically we're just being ourselves, but we're still aware that we're framed by a character-based scenario.

Best explanation for a semi-machinima ever.
SpiritfChaos

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Seems fun. I'm in. I'll have to change my skin from Mokou, though, to avoid viewer gender confusion. XD Oh well.
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Well, you know, seeing as this is a thing, I expected to get people asking me for the server address. After all, if you want to participate, you kinda NEED it. :P If anyone is looking for it, drop by the chatbox.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm in. I still need to get the hang of this "Tekkit" thing... or rather, this "Minecraft" thing. Eh, I'll try getting the hang of Tekkit Lite. I'm really liking what Mystcraft looks like so far.
RotavatoR

Postby Krika on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Is this still going to be a thing?
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 pm

>_>
<_<

*sprints for the door*
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Krika on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:>_>
<_<

*sprints for the door*

:o

:?

:(

:cry:
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Krika wrote:
<_<

*sprints for the door*

*comes back in, looking sheepish*

I've been too busy to push it forward, but I'm still game. :)
eli_gone_crazy

Postby SpiritfChaos on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:
Krika wrote:
<_<

*sprints for the door*

*comes back in, looking sheepish*

I've been too busy to push it forward, but I'm still game. :)

Me too!
SpiritfChaos

Postby Scarab on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:07 pm

*Is more game than she has ever been in her life.*
Scarab

Postby Blurred_9L on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm

*Is reminded that he might be able to actually buy the game soon* :D
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Sophira on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 pm

This sounds really interesting. I think I still have the Minecraft server address, so I'll pop in at some point (probably tomorrow). I think this could get me on the server more regularly. :)
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Next

Return to Metaguard Projects