Cultural Exchange: The Southern U.S.

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Cultural Exchange: The Southern U.S.

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun May 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Yeah so it seems a lot of people actually don't know that much about my area. (I find this oddly surprising but hey, you learn something new every day)

Uhm... basic history.. Georgia was actually founded by a guy named Olgethorpe. Oglethorpe was a humanitarian, and a philanthropist. He actually got the king (or queen) of England at the time to give him a land grant (Georgia), in which to transplant "the worthy poor". This gave ordinary Englishmen a chance at life in the new world, which is pretty awesome.

Time passed, people did things, caused revolutions. And then there was a split. A war in between states. Whether it was right or wrong didn't really matter. It was more about economics, and change. So, people fought and died. A dude by the name of Sherman actually rampaged through most of the northern regions of the state, burning down houses (the entire city of Atlanta, to name one specific place) and melting train track ties (the big metal blocks that the train actually runs on) onto trees, making "tree ties". Then the war ended, and things changed. For the longest time, Georgia stayed mostly Agrarian. Nothing too big happened for about a hundred years, (well I mean stuff HAPPENED but that's breaking rule 6 even more than I already sort of AM so yeah) Then around the 70's (I think), it began to develop.

Now, Georgia's actually pretty urban. A lot of major corporations have headquarters in Atlanta, we have a pretty big aquarium (it's so awesome :D), and of course the world of coke and the varsity. It's become a hodgepodge of old and new. Metro Atlanta is about a hundred miles in circumference, and spans about ten counties. The state's a major transportation hub for trains, because Savannah is a major port city.

So, uhm yeah. That's my state. If any other southern people feel inclined to post interesting things about their states, go right ahead.

And if you have any questions, just ask. :) I'll try to find an appropriate answer for you.
eli_gone_crazy

Re: Cultural Exchange: The Southern U.S.

Postby Krika on Sun May 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I currently live (in a government sense, and in the sense that the other 3+dog members of my immediate family live there, and I will be back there in a week) in Northern Virginia. As opposed to Southern Virginia. There's NoVa, which is very, very much urban and higher tech, then you drive an hour south and you're in wide-open rural country. It's an interesting dichotomy.

That's about it? I don't really have much to say.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby SpiritfChaos on Mon May 13, 2013 12:21 am

Does Kentucky count as the South?
I'm just a guy who wants to help save the world.
SpiritfChaos

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 am

SpiritfChaos wrote:Does Kentucky count as the South?

uhhh... yes. >_> People have used the Mason-Dixon line in the past, but that isn't necessarily accurate.

Florida isn't technically southern, by my (Georgian) view. "True" South goes as far west as Texas, and as far north as Kentucky/Virginia, though most people around here wouldn't count W.V. as southern.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Victin on Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Hm... I don't know what to ask. What kind of food do you have up there?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby RotavatoR on Tue May 14, 2013 10:56 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:Oglethorpe was a humanitarian

There's your answer.
Sorry, couldn't resist :3
Umm, anyway: Any interesting statewide celebrations? :)
RotavatoR

Return to Metaguard Projects