Your TvTropes projects

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Your TvTropes projects

Postby RotavatoR on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 pm

We are all tropers. Some of us may have a page or a project that they like to work on. This thread is for finding people that may want to help you improve a page. Just mention a page and ask for help :)

I'm trying to get the page about What's With Andy? going, but it's not going very well. What's With Andy was a Canadian animated show about a prankster who has a tendency to pull city-sized pranks. I was surprised that there wasn't a page about it, so I created one.

Wanna help? Have your own project? Leave a message :D
RotavatoR

Re: Your TvTropes projects

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm

RotavatoR wrote:We are all tropers. Some of us may have a page or a project that they like to work on. This thread is for finding people that may want to help you improve a page. Just mention a page and ask for help :)

I'm trying to get the page about What's With Andy? going, but it's not going very well. What's With Andy was a Canadian animated show about a prankster who has a tendency to pull city-sized pranks. I was surprised that there wasn't a page about it, so I created one.

Wanna help? Have your own project? Leave a message :D

I don't have a proejct now but I was pretty instrumental in getting one up about a little known BritishCandian production known as Ace Lightning. Not many people know what that is, it was never crazy popular and I wouldn't say it was ever a genius show but it DID pull a few clever deconstructions/parody reconstructions of superheroes, the protagonist was British, and the villain was a fantastic design. It was one of my favourite fandoms in my earlier days, and through it I met some of my best friends. :) So I felt it deserved a page of it's own while you could still find evidence it had ever even existed online.

...And interestingly enough, it was about a videogame character and his friends and allies who came to life in the real world :D
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Impractical Jokers page needs to go up. Hardest I've laughed in years was when I was watching that show. Also need a Laconic TWWF page and a WMG page.

EDIT: Never mind on the IJ page.
Last edited by The Finch on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:51 pm

The Finch wrote:Impractical Jokers page needs to go up. Hardest I've laughed in years was when I was watching that show. Also need a Laconic TWWF page and a WMG page.

Whoever can compress this ARG into a Laconic will forever have my awe and respect.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Scarab wrote:
The Finch wrote:Impractical Jokers page needs to go up. Hardest I've laughed in years was when I was watching that show. Also need a Laconic TWWF page and a WMG page.

Whoever can compress this ARG into a Laconic will forever have my awe and respect.

Characters broke through fourth wall. Players sent them back.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Adell wrote:
Scarab wrote:

Characters broke through fourth wall. Players sent them back.

Oh... um. Huh. Well. That changes nothing, you already HAD my respect anyway >.>
Scarab

Postby RotavatoR on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 pm

But now you should add your awe.

Back on topic please, people ;D
Anyone need some help or wanna help me?
RotavatoR

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Scarab wrote:Whoever can compress this ARG into a Laconic will forever have my awe and respect.

Echo Chamber Spinoff ARG: Tropers sealing up Refugees From TV Land.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Bump.

Can we get some help on the 60's Spiderman page?
The Finch

Postby Lordxana0 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:18 am

One day I hope to get a large group of tropes who read the Dark Hunter series and create the most badass character sheets ever.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Guyshane on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:16 am

Lordxana0 wrote:One day I hope to get a large group of tropes who read the Dark Hunter series and create the most badass character sheets ever.

Whats the first novel? I'll pick it up the next time I've got time (which is not right now, right now I have a few discworld novels begging to be read)
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby JRPictures on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:20 am

I have my own personal TV Tropes project for my Unpublished Work: Film School along with it's Character Page.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Inukai44 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 am

The Batman story arc Death Of the Family needs help
Inukai44

Postby Victin on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 am

JRPictures wrote:I have my own personal TV Tropes project for my Unpublished Work: Film School along with it's Character Page.

Why is it in Darth Wiki? And why you already made a page without even having it published?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:04 pm

That's how Unpublished Works, well, works on TVTropes. If it's not published anywhere (that includes on the internet), you can put it in Darth Wiki and attach it to the Unpublished Works index.
JackAlsworth

Postby Victin on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:09 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:That's how Unpublished Works, well, works on TVTropes. If it's not published anywhere (that includes on the internet), you can put it in Darth Wiki and attach it to the Unpublished Works index.

I see. When will it be published?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby The Finch on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm

If I could make it, I would. I swear, this show/series actually sounds interesting!
The Finch

Postby JRPictures on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Victin wrote:
JackAlsworth wrote:That's how Unpublished Works, well, works on TVTropes. If it's not published anywhere (that includes on the internet), you can put it in Darth Wiki and attach it to the Unpublished Works index.

When I have the proper funds and equipment to make it. So really it's after I get out of school. It's rather ambitious so it could take a while.

The Finch wrote:If I could make it, I would. I swear, this show/series actually sounds interesting!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I knew people would find this show interesting. Especially when it's concept hasn't truly been done before.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Victin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm

JRPictures wrote:
Victin wrote:

When I have the proper funds and equipment to make it. So really it's after I get out of school. It's rather ambitious so it could take a while.

The Finch wrote:If I could make it, I would. I swear, this show/series actually sounds interesting!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I knew people would find this show interesting. Especially when it's concept hasn't truly been done before.

To tell the truth, I didn't read the page, because I started to see the spoilers, thus, ruining the show for me. I'm too curious. BUT, I guess you could try kickstarter. Sadly, I can't help, nor I know anyone who can, but I'd try anyways.
Victin

Postby JRPictures on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 am

Victin wrote:To tell the truth, I didn't read the page, because I started to see the spoilers, thus, ruining the show for me. I'm too curious. BUT, I guess you could try kickstarter. Sadly, I can't help, nor I know anyone who can, but I'd try anyways.

Oh that's ok if you don't want the show ruined for you. I was thinking of trying Kickstarter or Indie Gogo in the future. For now I'll just be filling in the pages and expanding my ideas.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 am

Me? Oh, I'm editing the 8 Universal Monsters pages, and I'm thinking about starting a character sheet for the Universal Monsters. Could anyone help me with that?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby screenstorming on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm

JRPictures wrote:
Victin wrote:

JR -- Wow, that looks awesome! I love the concept of trope-savvy characters interacting, and helping people to learn about tropes in the process. I've been wanting to do that ever since last year, when my own life situation became so convoluted that I turned to tvtropes to help make sense of it, and even where we're at in history, with knowledge-saturation, but so many archaic structures, like most forms of school, still spoon-feeding people irrelevant information rather than challenging them to learn and grow and engage in Character Development.

I'm interested in how a No Fourth Wall, trope-enriched approach could be applied to a reality show or documentary series, as well as alternate reality games. I've tried to do this with my own life, recording hundreds of hours of video journals, considering my decisions and options as I have scoured the internet for information and to meet people to collaborate with on a production project that involves tropes, interactivity, and helping people to learn things that could be relevant to their lives.

So many people spend so many hours enrolled in school, and for what? Setting up a learning environment based on a narrative structure, such as this, could be so much more effective and engaging and fun. Beyond learning, I think ARGs and other reality/trope-based media could have substantial application as a form of therapy and brain training in general. It really is like blending fiction and reality, but keeping the reality part of it intact.

I've started to find others promoting this life-as-story approach. For example, Donald Miller has a whole book/conference/web-site for people to think of their life as a story that they play a role in co-authoring, not just experiencing and reacting:

What is Storyline? [2m]
http://vimeo.com/34677357
"If you were watching your life as though it were a movie would it be interesting? If you think about it, we are all stuck in the theater of our minds watching our story unfold. And too many of us couldn't care less because our story is so boring. Screenwriters and novelists have figured out what makes a story interesting and the same principles that they use to write engaging novels and movies can be used to make your life a story worth living."

Anticipated Conflict [1m]
http://vimeo.com/46317495
Donald Miller wrote:"Most people hate conflict and avoid it like the plague, but those who have gone through the Storyline process know that conflict is the best friend of everybody who wants to live a great story. For each of your ambitions, you'll encounter conflict. Remember, Stephen Pressfield says that if something beautiful is trying to come into the world, there will be an equal and opposite resistance.

Those who understand the Storyline process learn to appreciate conflict. I don't think any of us like it, but we certainly know it makes a story better. Conflict is hardest when we don't expect it, so in this module, we want to anticipate any conflict we might encounter heading toward our ambitions. If we are planning to run a half marathon, anticipated conflict might involve fear, laziness, physical pain, or procrastination. When we write these things down, they won't surprise us when they come up.

Another thing you'll want to do with this module is consider the redemptive aspects of each area of conflict you anticipate. Perhaps the conflict will humble you, or make you more organized. The conflict might make you stronger or give you better character. Remember, Victor Frankl says, when we find a redemptive perspective to our conflict, it ceases to be suffering. Reflecting on what's good about conflict will take the sting out of it, and make the road more level. You can learn more about why we should anticipate conflict in module 7 of the Storyline guide."

I'm interested in how those ideas relate to people's progression through school, and simply figuring out who they are and what to do with their lives at different points. I've been trying to apply principles of story to my life for over a decade, but it's been tough not knowing anyone who has had the same interest, and not knowing where to find them. My brother actually graduated from film school in 2006, but he now drives a cab and delivers newspapers, and I've never been able to get him to collaborate with me on my ideas. Last year, my life really hit a point of being Freakier Than Fiction, and I turned to TV Tropes to help make sense of things, cope with an avalanche of problems amid becoming broke and facing homelessness, while I struggled to communicate my perspective to others, and figure out how to collaborate on a kind of production project that had never been done before, but whose pieces were all around me.

I was inspired by a number of other sources, like anthropologist Michael Wesch's Visions of Students Today project, where he asked students to record their life from their own perspective, to gain insight into what students really thought of school. His team edited the results into a video collage, and a mash-up video: http://visionsofstudents.org/ -Many of the students were dissatisfied with school, as might be expected. But even educators are more and more questioning why they have so many disengaged minds in their classrooms, only wanting to know what the need to do to get the grade, in a world saturated with information and opportunity, as well as problems to be solved.

TEDxKC - Michael Wesch - From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-Able [18m]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeaAHv4UTI8
"If you think of this world on fire metaphor, and think we really need to get our youth ready for this, how do you think we're doing this? This is my class at Kansas State University... and you can see they aren't really engaged. There's actually a real test you can do for this, to find out how engaged they are... and that is, pay attention to the questions people are asking. A good question is something that leads people on a quest, and if you pay attention to the questions that students are asking in this environment, they turn out to be questions like this: How many points is this worth? How long does this paper need to be? What do we need to know for this test? These are like the worst questions around." -- he goes on to compare his disengaged, passive class to a photo of excited people standing outside American Idol auditions. The point is, there are times when people are engaged in something, like times in this ARG, and times when they aren't, like many times in school. Yet people pay *so much* for school, and it very rarely helps to facilitate Character Development.

Meanwhile, I see a change in the kinds of entertainment that are possible. The long form of television series has opened up new depths of narrative development, and Youtube and TV Tropes open up even more possibilities, not to mention ARGs, and now MOOCs, which allow many students to collaboratively learn.

Future Learning - Sugata Mitra [3m]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqsTD4CzRYM
"Sugata Mitra, Professor of Educational Technology at Newcastle University, talks about how his Hole in the Wall Experiment helped poor children in the slums of Hyderabad, India teach themselves English."

That Hole In the Wall experiment makes me think -- by word association AND analogy, of the whole Wall Will Fall concept. Instead of English, we're learning tropes! And maybe some other things in the process. I think the idea can be expanded even further. I have so many references and links to share, but I'm trying to figure out how to present them in a meaningful sequence, rather than just Infodumping.

But I have a bunch of real-life dialogue, even video, and tropes identified in it, and I'm haunted by this explanation from my brother about his scraping-by-as-a-cab-driver lifestyle:
"it doesn't just work out -- there's another step that I was never taught, on how to like, translate, or how to make that jump from doing well in school or whatever, pursuing my interests, to making those interests actually financially viable... and, you know... now it's sort of... I was thrown into this weird ??? and it's like, "now you need to cover for yourself..." and if my passions have to take a back seat to day-to-day responsibility, and having a home for myself as opposed to "you can stay here for a month, but then you have to to get the f*ck out and figure it out for yourself, then those things are going to have to take a backseat for a while..."

So many people get dumped into the world without the tools to make life interesting. I think tropes can help us all to Take A Third Option in more situations than traditional education ever could.
screenstorming

Postby JRPictures on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 pm

screenstorming wrote:
JR -- Wow, that looks awesome! I love the concept of trope-savvy characters interacting, and helping people to learn about tropes in the process. I've been wanting to do that ever since last year, when my own life situation became so convoluted that I turned to tvtropes to help make sense of it, and even where we're at in history, with knowledge-saturation, but so many archaic structures, like most forms of school, still spoon-feeding people irrelevant information rather than challenging them to learn and grow and engage in Character Development.

I'm interested in how a No Fourth Wall, trope-enriched approach could be applied to a reality show or documentary series, as well as alternate reality games. I've tried to do this with my own life, recording hundreds of hours of video journals, considering my decisions and options as I have scoured the internet for information and to meet people to collaborate with on a production project that involves tropes, interactivity, and helping people to learn things that could be relevant to their lives.

So many people spend so many hours enrolled in school, and for what? Setting up a learning environment based on a narrative structure, such as this, could be so much more effective and engaging and fun. Beyond learning, I think ARGs and other reality/trope-based media could have substantial application as a form of therapy and brain training in general. It really is like blending fiction and reality, but keeping the reality part of it intact.

I've started to find others promoting this life-as-story approach. For example, Donald Miller has a whole book/conference/web-site for people to think of their life as a story that they play a role in co-authoring, not just experiencing and reacting:

What is Storyline? [2m]
http://vimeo.com/34677357
"If you were watching your life as though it were a movie would it be interesting? If you think about it, we are all stuck in the theater of our minds watching our story unfold. And too many of us couldn't care less because our story is so boring. Screenwriters and novelists have figured out what makes a story interesting and the same principles that they use to write engaging novels and movies can be used to make your life a story worth living."

Anticipated Conflict [1m]
http://vimeo.com/46317495
Donald Miller wrote:"Most people hate conflict and avoid it like the plague, but those who have gone through the Storyline process know that conflict is the best friend of everybody who wants to live a great story. For each of your ambitions, you'll encounter conflict. Remember, Stephen Pressfield says that if something beautiful is trying to come into the world, there will be an equal and opposite resistance.

Those who understand the Storyline process learn to appreciate conflict. I don't think any of us like it, but we certainly know it makes a story better. Conflict is hardest when we don't expect it, so in this module, we want to anticipate any conflict we might encounter heading toward our ambitions. If we are planning to run a half marathon, anticipated conflict might involve fear, laziness, physical pain, or procrastination. When we write these things down, they won't surprise us when they come up.

Another thing you'll want to do with this module is consider the redemptive aspects of each area of conflict you anticipate. Perhaps the conflict will humble you, or make you more organized. The conflict might make you stronger or give you better character. Remember, Victor Frankl says, when we find a redemptive perspective to our conflict, it ceases to be suffering. Reflecting on what's good about conflict will take the sting out of it, and make the road more level. You can learn more about why we should anticipate conflict in module 7 of the Storyline guide."

I'm interested in how those ideas relate to people's progression through school, and simply figuring out who they are and what to do with their lives at different points. I've been trying to apply principles of story to my life for over a decade, but it's been tough not knowing anyone who has had the same interest, and not knowing where to find them. My brother actually graduated from film school in 2006, but he now drives a cab and delivers newspapers, and I've never been able to get him to collaborate with me on my ideas. Last year, my life really hit a point of being Freakier Than Fiction, and I turned to TV Tropes to help make sense of things, cope with an avalanche of problems amid becoming broke and facing homelessness, while I struggled to communicate my perspective to others, and figure out how to collaborate on a kind of production project that had never been done before, but whose pieces were all around me.

I was inspired by a number of other sources, like anthropologist Michael Wesch's Visions of Students Today project, where he asked students to record their life from their own perspective, to gain insight into what students really thought of school. His team edited the results into a video collage, and a mash-up video: http://visionsofstudents.org/ -Many of the students were dissatisfied with school, as might be expected. But even educators are more and more questioning why they have so many disengaged minds in their classrooms, only wanting to know what the need to do to get the grade, in a world saturated with information and opportunity, as well as problems to be solved.

TEDxKC - Michael Wesch - From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-Able [18m]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeaAHv4UTI8
"If you think of this world on fire metaphor, and think we really need to get our youth ready for this, how do you think we're doing this? This is my class at Kansas State University... and you can see they aren't really engaged. There's actually a real test you can do for this, to find out how engaged they are... and that is, pay attention to the questions people are asking. A good question is something that leads people on a quest, and if you pay attention to the questions that students are asking in this environment, they turn out to be questions like this: How many points is this worth? How long does this paper need to be? What do we need to know for this test? These are like the worst questions around." -- he goes on to compare his disengaged, passive class to a photo of excited people standing outside American Idol auditions. The point is, there are times when people are engaged in something, like times in this ARG, and times when they aren't, like many times in school. Yet people pay *so much* for school, and it very rarely helps to facilitate Character Development.

Meanwhile, I see a change in the kinds of entertainment that are possible. The long form of television series has opened up new depths of narrative development, and Youtube and TV Tropes open up even more possibilities, not to mention ARGs, and now MOOCs, which allow many students to collaboratively learn.

Future Learning - Sugata Mitra [3m]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqsTD4CzRYM
"Sugata Mitra, Professor of Educational Technology at Newcastle University, talks about how his Hole in the Wall Experiment helped poor children in the slums of Hyderabad, India teach themselves English."

That Hole In the Wall experiment makes me think -- by word association AND analogy, of the whole Wall Will Fall concept. Instead of English, we're learning tropes! And maybe some other things in the process. I think the idea can be expanded even further. I have so many references and links to share, but I'm trying to figure out how to present them in a meaningful sequence, rather than just Infodumping.

But I have a bunch of real-life dialogue, even video, and tropes identified in it, and I'm haunted by this explanation from my brother about his scraping-by-as-a-cab-driver lifestyle:
"it doesn't just work out -- there's another step that I was never taught, on how to like, translate, or how to make that jump from doing well in school or whatever, pursuing my interests, to making those interests actually financially viable... and, you know... now it's sort of... I was thrown into this weird ??? and it's like, "now you need to cover for yourself..." and if my passions have to take a back seat to day-to-day responsibility, and having a home for myself as opposed to "you can stay here for a month, but then you have to to get the f*ck out and figure it out for yourself, then those things are going to have to take a backseat for a while..."

So many people get dumped into the world without the tools to make life interesting. I think tropes can help us all to Take A Third Option in more situations than traditional education ever could.

Thanks for that. I always liked treating my life like a movie and applying a million tropes to it. Theory of Narrative Causality comes into play a lot too.

If my life was a movie it would be dramedy, coming of age film for every MovieBuff and loner who wanted to belong.

(As for the show itself, I have meticulously planned it out with three season of 17-18 eps each season. That's right.)
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby screenstorming on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 pm

JRPictures wrote:Thanks for that. I always liked treating my life like a movie and applying a million tropes to it. Theory of Narrative Causality comes into play a lot too.

If my life was a movie it would be dramedy, coming of age film for every MovieBuff and loner who wanted to belong.

(As for the show itself, I have meticulously planned it out with three season of 17-18 eps each season. That's right.)

What do you think it'd take to get it made? What if you could get people who would have paid for film school to fund the production, and appear in it? :D

Btw, the fact that Unpublished Works can be outlined on TV Tropes is really making me think about this whole writing the future thing. Jane McGonigal developed a sort of "your reality game" called Find The Future -- http://exhibitions.nypl.org/100/digital ... y_the_game -- “The game is designed to empower young people to find their own futures by bringing them face-to-face with the writings and objects of people who made an extraordinary difference.”

Like this ARG, it involves writing as part of the game, in reaction to artifacts, but more self-referentially than the fictional layer in here. Funny, given the title of ARGnet's article on TWWF: "TV Tropes’ Echo Chamber Turns Self-Referential Attention to ARGs" http://www.argn.com/2012/10/tv_tropes_e ... n_to_args/
screenstorming

Postby JRPictures on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:52 pm

It would take a lot to get the show made.

For starters I'll need actors I can trust and understand what we're making, selling the show's concept to potential funders who don't understand the idea behind, having a good set, affording equipment etc

Not to mention the more ambitious genre episodes like the animated one which has segments in different animation styles.

I know it's very ambitious and there'll be some definite changes when I start making it but I'm doing it for the art. To show tropes, genres and deconstruct and reconstruct film itself with focus on character and story.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Next

Return to Metaguard Projects