CHRISTMAS CAROL AUDITIONS 001 - MISTER A AND NARRATOR

Be creative! We know you can be <3

CHRISTMAS CAROL AUDITIONS 001 - MISTER A AND NARRATOR

Postby Scarab on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm

AUDITION SHEET 001.

PLEASE NOTE wrote:Before I begin, we are aware that in the not too distant future, this board is going to be locked. Pixel mage is planning a fan forum, and the audition process for this project will continue there. Until then, we are going to engender the spirit of my people, keep calm and carry on. We will continue using this forum for auditions until it is no longer possible. Pixelmage will announce the opening of a new forum when he is ready. All auditions for these roles must be sent to us at the Xmas Carol Chatroom, which is here: http://www.neatchat.com/?id=448786a1a57 ... 427635e469
(Alternatively, PM Blackwolfe or Scarab for an email address.)

This post is for those wishing to apply for the parts of Mister Administrator or The Narrator in the Metaguard Christmas Carol. Please message Scarab on the Christmas Carol board, with your audition attached, or your email account.

You will need:
  • A Decent Quality Mike - sorry guys we're not sure laptop mikes are going to cut it, unless you record very loudly and have little fuzz. Try and borrow one, or they can be gotten quiter cheaply at various electronic suppliers. If you aren't sure of quality, send us a test run.
  • The time to record your lines. Don't worry we're not gonna force you all to do everything in two days over the biggest western holiday odf the year, but try and priorities - real life comes first, after all.
  • Awesomeness. Which, lets face it, is NOT a problem for any of us around here.

NOTES.
  • These are heavy dialogue parts, especially The Narrator. You will be talking a LOT, so these may not be something you should audition for if you don’t think you’re going to have a lot of time to do it.
  • Please stick to the lines below. You’re welcome to add a couple of your own, to demonstrate your versatility, but please make sure you do the quoted speech.
  • You may audition for as many roles as you like. I would actually advise doing a few readings of each line. Go nuts!

The Narrator.
These are the lines you guys need to read if you’re auditioning for the part of The Narrator. We have no clear idea of what we’re going for here, just think “okay, what would the narrator of a Dickensian novel sound like?” and proceed to do just that.

A Christmas Carol wrote:Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
Scrooge knew he was dead? Of course he did. How could it be otherwise? Scrooge and he were partners for I don't know how many years. Scrooge was his sole executor, his sole administrator, his sole assign, his sole residuary legatee, his sole friend, and sole mourner. And even Scrooge was not so dreadfully cut up by the sad event, but that he was an excellent man of business on the very day of the funeral, and solemnised it with an undoubted bargain.

Mister Administrator.

These are the texts we need to hear for those auditioning for Mister Administrator: it consists of several of his lines from the twitter account:

“PEOPLE ALWAYS TALK ABOUT "THE CARROT OR THE STICK". THEREFORE, WE WILL TRY POKING EACH OTHER WITH CARROTS NEXT.”

“THERE IS CONFUSION REGARDING THE FUTURE. THERE ARE STILL MATTERS WHICH NEED TO BE RESOLVED. WE INVITE YOU TO ASSIST US IN RESOLVING THEM.

“PERSONALLY, WE FELT THIS WAS A LITTLE VINDICTIVE ON HIS PART. THE CONSENSUS IS THAT THE ACTION WAS PRODUCTIVE. BUT HE IS PRIME.”

EW. WE DON'T EAT EACH OTHER. WE TERMINATE EACH OTHER. LIKE THE LAST ONE WHO RAN THIS ACCOUNT. HE BECAME FAR TOO COLLOQUIAL.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: CHRISTMAS CAROL AUDITIONS 001 - MISTER A AND NARRATOR

Postby Scarab on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Bumping this, because it's about to leave the page and also we are still very lacking in Mister A Auditions. Remember I can add SFX to his voice, it won't just be you talking. (Aka, quit being shy, guys, start applying already.)

Also a query: How would people feel about DIVIDING THE NARRATOR'S ROLEamongst several people?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Jeroic9 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Scarab wrote:Bumping this, because it's about to leave the page and also we are still very lacking in Mister A Auditions. Remember I can add SFX to his voice, it won't just be you talking. (Aka, quit being shy, guys, start applying already.)

Also a query: How would people feel about DIVIDING THE NARRATOR'S ROLEamongst several people?

Well that was the question I was about to ask, as to whether or not I should add the reverb to the recording myself or just send it off. I'll try to record it tonight or early tomorrow.
I wrote a book. Adding to the far side of the wall.
Jeroic9

Postby Scarab on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Jeroic9 wrote:
Scarab wrote:Bumping this, because it's about to leave the page and also we are still very lacking in Mister A Auditions. Remember I can add SFX to his voice, it won't just be you talking. (Aka, quit being shy, guys, start applying already.)

Well that was the question I was about to ask, as to whether or not I should add the reverb to the recording myself or just send it off. I'll try to record it tonight or early tomorrow.

Just send the recording, Jeroic. We'll add the effects post production.
Scarab

Postby S_o_S on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Scarab wrote:[/size]Also a query: How would people feel about DIVIDING THE NARRATOR'S ROLEamongst several people?

I think this would be a good idea.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:13 pm

S_o_S wrote:
Scarab wrote:[/size]Also a query: How would people feel about DIVIDING THE NARRATOR'S ROLEamongst several people?

I think this would be a good idea.

I concur, but based on previously shown evidence, I believe that Sicon ought to be at least one of the voices of the legion.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:23 pm

I'll play devil's advocate here, again...
But having more than one voice for the Narrator can get confusing fast. Assume someone is listening to the recording without the transcript, which should be entirely possible to do... We're supposed to associate the voice with the character, so if the narrator keeps changing voices, we'll get confused about whether it's a Narrator line or a character line.

Voice of the legion would be hard to understand... Really really hard especially since everyone has his own accent here.

One thing that might be nice is if the Narrator changes for each chapter. So, the Narrator is one for the past, then another Narrator for the present... Perhaps that was the intended idea from the start, if so sorry for not getting it :P, I'm all for it in that case. :D
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Pixelmage wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here, again...
But having more than one voice for the Narrator can get confusing fast. Assume someone is listening to the recording without the transcript, which should be entirely possible to do... We're supposed to associate the voice with the character, so if the narrator keeps changing voices, we'll get confused about whether it's a Narrator line or a character line.

Voice of the legion would be hard to understand... Really really hard especially since everyone has his own accent here.

One thing that might be nice is if the Narrator changes for each chapter. So, the Narrator is one for the past, then another Narrator for the present... Perhaps that was the intended idea from the start, if so sorry for not getting it :P, I'm all for it in that case. :D

A relevant pointm Pixel. We'll have to find some way to ba;lance in the event that several different people are chosen.
Scarab

Postby H22 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:33 am

Pixelmage wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here, again...

I think this is right, but it might work for A, perhaps? His lines are quite recognisable, and it's very possible different instating toons have different voices.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby BlackWolfe on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:12 am

With any luck, the narration will be so distinctly narration that so long as we choose when to switch narrators in the story (at major scene changes, for example), there shouldn't be a problem. In the meantime, we're definitely trying to find a way to include people as much as possible.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Scarab on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 am

BlackWolfe wrote:With any luck, the narration will be so distinctly narration that so long as we choose when to switch narrators in the story (at major scene changes, for example), there shouldn't be a problem. In the meantime, we're definitely trying to find a way to include people as much as possible.

At this point I am strongly considering this as we've had a great many narrator submissions... and they're ALL great (what else did I hoenstly expect from you guys? ;) ) It's definitely something we'll discuss.

Auditions are still open.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 am

Just a note to mention that I won't be here for going on 24 hours... possibly 48, however all auditions (yes we are still taking Mister A auditions) must still be sent to my email address. If you don't have it, please ask soembody who has already sent in an audition to send it to you, and mention it to me when I get back becauseit'll probably end up in my overzealous spam bin.

Have fun, guys!
Scarab

Return to Metaguard Projects