Virtual War Observation Deck

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Re: Virtual War Observation Deck

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 am

Eh, plasma form is a tricky thing to activate. I actually left it out of the character description because of how broken it was, and only got allowed to use it this time because Alaki was pretty much dust in the wind otherwise and GM approval was on my side. Even still, he's somewhat overpowered compared to the usual- in-universe, I'd say due to how badly injured he was when the transformation occurred. Out of universe? Mimsy. >_<

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to start drafting Alaki's death post. It's coming next no matter what Mimsy writes, y'know.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 am

*insert five thousand lines of expletives here*

Sorry guys, my internet just exploded, and now I seem to have lost my post. It'll take some time to rewrite it.

EDIT: Never mind. Got it back. ^^
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 am

Mimsy, Mimsy, Mimsy... Seriously, man, you're just saying "nope, that didn't actually work, and now you die"? That's it? ...Does this mean you actually don't want to fight a nigh-unkillable spirit of nuclear fusion in a metal shell that walks like a man while the walls of reality scream and burn around you? (Seriously, am I the only one here who thinks that would be cool, no matter which side you're on?)

...Fine. Screw the time limit, screw powering down peacefully, and, well, screw letting Borogove get away with that. Plasma Alaki's gonna stick around for a few more turns after all- hell, considering how much time has passed, he's probably getting a power boost.

(Also, protection from anything that might actually hurt you or not, Sicon, I still half expected you to blow your own head off when you facepalmed. :P)
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Endless, believe me. That sounds AWESOME. I wanted to have some sort of epic battle like that. However, by executing that course of action and trying to overload Borogove, you essentially forced one of two things to happen: A: Borogove lets himself explode, which he wouldn't do. B: He goes into anti-God mode and is forced to amplify his absorption to a ridiculous extent. The latter course was literally the only course of action I had left.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Scarab on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Eli, I should mention that Gallium is once again using a shield made out of vibrations she gatehred from surrounding noise, and that shield's nature varies depending upon whiere the sound came from. Because in this case, she drew the vibrations from a passing train, the doppler effect is in action: Gallium's shield will FLUXTUATE from high protection, to lower.

In other words, she can draw the vibrations created by sound TO her aaand hang onto them. To strengthen it and keep it continuous, she uses her own voice. So a shield created by a flickering fire, for example, would flicker, and be inconsistent. One created by the sound of water would be very flexible and protect better than fire. Either way her shield can only stand, say, a couple of creeper blasts of intensity, though she can shift her weight and shield to help her protection. Like... aikido, you know? Using your opponents weight/magic against them

But the KIND of shield she has depends on the kind of noise vibrations she sued to create it. The one she’s using now is created by a train going past- the Doppler Effect means her shield rises and falls in intensity but she CAN still dodge.
Remember Gallium can gather power from anything that makes a noise. Anything at all.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Endless, believe me. That sounds AWESOME. I wanted to have some sort of epic battle like that. However, by executing that course of action and trying to overload Borogove, you essentially forced one of two things to happen: A: Borogove lets himself explode, which he wouldn't do. B: He goes into anti-God mode and is forced to amplify his absorption to a ridiculous extent. The latter course was literally the only course of action I had left.

Dude, even if there actually wasn't any other option (and there totally is), was it still absolutely necessary to make everything heal like that? If you're modifying the absorption or output rate, why not keep the gaps in space in time, the ground fragmented and melted into an enormous field of debris floating in the void, and resume the battle from there? Why resort to a freaking retcon?

To clarify, the fact that you dealt with the power overflow isn't the real issue- hell, it would even make sense that you'd be able to do something like that, although it'd be a bit of a cop-out. The problem I have is how you handwaved all the damage away, along with pretty much any plans for further damage (or even just letting Alaki run out of power and die, which was actually what I intended to do before your post went up). To me, it's like you were saying "nope that post didn't happen and nothing you do will ever hurt me because I say so". :/
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:18 pm

As I said, there was one other option: allow my newly created finisher to be destroyed even though I could totally do something about it. Or, I suppose, I could have committed tactical suicide and shut down all of my absorption concepts, but neither of those make sense. I'm just doing what it would be in-character to do, namely, taking the most expedient possible solution.

Again, I think it does sound like a good idea. That sort of battle would be epic. But remember, this reality is shaped from Borogove's Temperament, which is something that does not change. In short, once the threat to it is absorbed at an equal rate to its being produced, the world will shift back to the way it was. This is Borogove's soul, making permanent alterations to its landscape basically an impossibility unless you have something like "manipulation of souls." Because of these two factors, a retcon was basically my only choice, because anything that didn't retcon it would involve mind-boggling levels of stupidity on my character's part at best, and completely disregarding how his existence and powers work at worst.

The fact that this seems so contrived now is my fault. I don't believe I adequately explained how this entire finisher works, which led you to believe that doing that would lead to results it wouldn't actually accomplish, in turn forcing me to run a ret con to restore my 'verse's physics in a manner that is disruptive to the overall flow of the story. I apologize for that, and I'll make an effort to explain things better in the future.

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:13 pm

...eh, all right, I get what you mean. I'm tempted to argue a bit more about screwing the rules and stuff, but at this point it'd feel kind of, um, pointless. :P All right, let's see what I can do this time... >_<
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Gotta say, I love how you turned that around, Endless. This is going to be great. =D

On another note, whichever one of us dies here needs to find a way to resurrect their character and do some sort of tag team match, because I just realized that Alaki and Borogove would be possibly the greatest team up of all time. Alaki's Plasma Form would reach peak efficiency if Borogove leeched off his power, and Borogove could use his Infinite Dimensional Hole for an unlimited period of time thanks to the fuel from Alaki. And Borogove could compensate for Alaki's lack of control in normal form, while Alaki would be able to handle defenses from telekinesis, something Borogove can't counter without a Dimensional Hole.

And now I'm envisioning a ridiculously epic Super Robot Wars style team special attack between Alaki and Borogove, killing a Zaku II with sun danmaku, infinite swords, and ridiculous high speed sky-jugging combos, ending with a full blown Void-powered nuke, the nuclear reactions of which are harnessed by Alaki to create a literal supernova, destroying the entire solar system the battle occupies.

THIS. IT NEEDS TO BE A THING. Xana, request special dispensation to set lasers for "Befriending" instead of lethality? I know it's not gonna happen, but it's totally worth asking.

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Alaki and Borogove... vs. the Duck.

what am I saying this is madness
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Guyshane on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Alaki and Borogove... vs. the Duck.

Ahem, 0:38 if you please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR0Uke2XNI
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Gotta say, I love how you turned that around, Endless. This is going to be great. =D

On another note, whichever one of us dies here needs to find a way to resurrect their character and do some sort of tag team match, because I just realized that Alaki and Borogove would be possibly the greatest team up of all time. Alaki's Plasma Form would reach peak efficiency if Borogove leeched off his power, and Borogove could use his Infinite Dimensional Hole for an unlimited period of time thanks to the fuel from Alaki. And Borogove could compensate for Alaki's lack of control in normal form, while Alaki would be able to handle defenses from telekinesis, something Borogove can't counter without a Dimensional Hole.

And now I'm envisioning a ridiculously epic Super Robot Wars style team special attack between Alaki and Borogove, killing a Zaku II with sun danmaku, infinite swords, and ridiculous high speed sky-jugging combos, ending with a full blown Void-powered nuke, the nuclear reactions of which are harnessed by Alaki to create a literal supernova, destroying the entire solar system the battle occupies.

THIS. IT NEEDS TO BE A THING. Xana, request special dispensation to set lasers for "Befriending" instead of lethality? I know it's not gonna happen, but it's totally worth asking.

Eh, considering Borogove pretty much bombed Alaki into plasma mode, a bit of mind-wiping might need to be in order. Not exactly the best first impression, y'know. :P

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Alaki and Borogove... vs. the Duck.

I'm fairly certain Alaki's first reaction to the Duck would be something along the lines of either "ohmygod it's a talking duck eeeeeeeeeeee" or "oh god please don't poop on me" or "why is it carrying a frisbee I hate frisbee" or "mmm, Peking duck" or pretty much anything but "this is an enemy and I should kill it". :)
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Hmm... It might also be interesting to have them team up after one of them inevitably kills the other here, then the other is resurrected. Might lead to some interesting Mid-Battle Banter/Casual Danger Dialogue/Deadpan Snarking/they being too busy arguing with and blowing up each other to actually get anything done. XD

On that note, though, tag-team matches should be a thing.

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Victin on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 am

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Hmm... It might also be interesting to have them team up after one of them inevitably kills the other here, then the other is resurrected. Might lead to some interesting Mid-Battle Banter/Casual Danger Dialogue/Deadpan Snarking/they being too busy arguing with and blowing up each other to actually get anything done. XD

On that note, though, tag-team matches should be a thing.

While I agree on that it'd be hard to find a team which would manage to sustain a good fight with you guys. At least in my opinion. That team probably gonna have Sicon.

Wait a second... Borogove and Alaki versus Sicon and The Duck Would that be sheer awesome?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am

Yes.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 am

Very yes.

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am

Quack.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Gecko.

[/derail]

Alrighty, gonna save my next post for after school. Already got ideas for what I'm gonna do, by the way.
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Sounds like fun. On that note, I'm probably going to stop with the weapon-spam soon, so how does a ridiculous melee across an endless field of unlimited swords sound? =P

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Scarab on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Eli, your character has just had a ball of vibration based kinetic energy thrown directly at her. Gallium was screaming, which makes the sound quite 'sharp' and focussed', so being hit with it will NOT kill but would probably feel a bit like being stabbed in the back by about thirty knives all at once. It may also smash surrounding windows, regardless of whetehr or not it hits. A good shield will defend against it.

She was also shooting you from QUITE far away - at least forty overhead and behind you, which will reduce the strength of the attack
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm

So... is VW dead or something?

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 pm

No, I've just got academic stuff to do that I can't seem to get done. Once that is no longer the case, plasma-face-punching will ensue. ^^
Endless Sea

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

Are there battles planned to occur anytime soon?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:12 pm

For the record, ending my fight with Borogove is next on my list of Stuff Left to Do in RPs. Gonna forgo the extended fight sequence I was planning on and just skip straight to running out of power, then go ahead and write me a character on a somewhat higher tier of power than Alaki. Here's a teaser- Moonlight Butterfly.
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:36 pm

...Err... You're going to be playing as a bossfight from Dark Souls? 0.o

Also, Borogove very well might Boro-splode too. I has so many ideas, and I'm not sure if/when/how to use them all yet, but all I know is that I want to use them. Sicon would rage if I let myself die easily, though, so... :?

AMimsyBorogove

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplaying