Skypirates idea board

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Skypirates idea board

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Since this isn't the final product for the RP and needs quite a bit of work I figured I would use this topic to talk to players about my ideas and hear a few of their own as well.

1. Each player will be a member aboard the a new rookie pirate airship. A basic ship will require one captain, one vice captain, three pilots, two-five weapon users for the ships main weapons, two engineers, and one doctor, any number of on foot soldiers to take over a ship on the inside, and any number of mech pilots, and the last two also have to perform odd jobs like cleaning or cooking.

2. The game will run on a mission based system. Rewards such as better weapons for the ship, better mech's, or more money will be given upon completion. Missions will require all players to work together. The captain will create battle plans, the vice captain will go over them before sending them to all people. The vice captain's main job is to be the captains right hand man with anything they need. Pilots will focus on three jobs that will require them to work together, shielding from attacks, dodging, and docking to other ships. Engineers will repair any damage and have repair drones they can send to fix the ship or fix damaged mech's. Foot soldiers secure enemy ships from the inside while pilots secure it from the outside. Doctors will of course fix people up after battle and make sure if anyone gets sick they are taken care of.

3. As you do missions you will get random bonuses from from the Pirate Federation and once they rise in rank a bit might even receive a new Dreadnought or more current generation mech's.

4. Players will have to manage supplies and keep records of what they have such as fuel, food, and entertainment such as t.v.'s, games, and books.. If people don't get sleep or eat or do something other then constantly fight enough then ill effects will happen.

5. Mech pilots and soldiers will start with nonstandard and older frames and weaponry and will be allowed to upgrade and or trade and sell their frames with approval from the captain. This will make each frame different and allow players to really build their own soldier/pilot. (Suggested by Mimsy)
Last edited by Lordxana0 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Re: Skypirates idea board

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Uh, not to be OCD or anything, but shouldn't this thread be in the RP forum?

Also, will people specify what rank they want their character to be when applying to be in the game, or do you assign it? Because I could see a problem of either everyone wanting to be captain, or everyone applying for the lame stuff in order to ensure they get a place in the RP...
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Victin on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Uh, not to be OCD or anything, but shouldn't this thread be in the RP forum?

Also, will people specify what rank they want their character to be when applying to be in the game, or do you assign it? Because I could see a problem of either everyone wanting to be captain, or everyone applying for the lame stuff in order to ensure they get a place in the RP...

I thought everyone would have their own crew and ship, as in: "everyone controls a group"

If so, I also was thinking about a RP in those lines. Not as cool and awesome as Skypirates, but the concept has flown through my head sometimes
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Uh, not to be OCD or anything, but shouldn't this thread be in the RP forum?

Well this is still very much something that needs work, so I thought project would work better. Everyone picks their own class, and I have to disagree with your assessment of any of the jobs being "lame"
Lordxana0

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 pm

I like the idea of us all being on the same ship, with different jobs. We'd have to have some sort of system to determine who the captain is, etc., but I think once we sort out who's what then we would have a fun and interesting group dynamic to play with.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:I like the idea of us all being on the same ship, with different jobs. We'd have to have some sort of system to determine who the captain is, etc., but I think once we sort out who's what then we would have a fun and interesting group dynamic to play with.

Agreed. I just hope this all don't end up in a big discussion on who should be what -.-'
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Sorry, I phrased that badly. What I meant was, I can picture people signing up for jobs that they don't really want, on the assumption that they wouldn't get in at all if they picked what they DID want, because there are already too many people going for it. Or... something?
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Sorry, I phrased that badly. What I meant was, I can picture people signing up for jobs that they don't really want, on the assumption that they wouldn't get in at all if they picked what they DID want, because there are already too many people going for it. Or... something?

Well the only limited jobs are for pilots and stuff like that. You can have as many soldiers and mech users as you want.
Lordxana0

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm

and now I want to play. -.-
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I'd probably apply to join in as well. Regarding positions, though, we should probably think of a way to pick who gets the limited roles.

Besides... The moment the cook steps in you'll be wishing you took that position. :twisted:
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Guyshane on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Pixelmage wrote:I'd probably apply to join in as well. Regarding positions, though, we should probably think of a way to pick who gets the limited roles.

Besides... The moment the cook steps in you'll be wishing you took that position. :twisted:

Right sure, but honestly who would want to be the one to clean the ships, I've never cleaned in real life and said to myself: "Gee this is a whole lot of fun"
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Guyshane wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:I'd probably apply to join in as well. Regarding positions, though, we should probably think of a way to pick who gets the limited roles.

Right sure, but honestly who would want to be the one to clean the ships, I've never cleaned in real life and said to myself: "Gee this is a whole lot of fun"

I think you misunderstood. Soldiers and Mech pilots help with cleaning because technically they are only working during battles where as the other jobs have stuff to do around the clock.
Lordxana0

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Shane... There's plenty of ways to use tropes. :lol:

What's your character's duty does not necessarily hamper your interaction potential. Hell, what if the pilot catches a cold?! :shock:
Picking odd and random set ups and twisting them into awesomeness can be quite fun too.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Krika on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I am suddenly reminded of Guns of Icarus Online.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Adell on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Moved this to RP
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Just calling dibs on a mecha pilot right here. On that note, though, a thought. We're pirates. Since we don't have any sort of official military backing or anything, wouldn't it be a little strange if we were all using the same sort of Flight Frame, or receiving mass-production updated models, etcetera? So, here's my suggestion. How about all of the mecha pilots each have their own unique Flight Frames relevant to their combat styles and their backstories, and they simply upgrade their capabilities and add new permutations as they go? This would have the added bonus of giving a little more room for personalization and originality when it comes to creating a character. In my personal experience, it's much more fun to create and design your own equipment/weapons instead of just picking from a pre-made list of options.
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Victin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 am

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Just calling dibs on a mecha pilot right here. On that note, though, a thought. We're pirates. Since we don't have any sort of official military backing or anything, wouldn't it be a little strange if we were all using the same sort of Flight Frame, or receiving mass-production updated models, etcetera? So, here's my suggestion. How about all of the mecha pilots each have their own unique Flight Frames relevant to their combat styles and their backstories, and they simply upgrade their capabilities and add new permutations as they go? This would have the added bonus of giving a little more room for personalization and originality when it comes to creating a character. In my personal experience, it's much more fun to create and design your own equipment/weapons instead of just picking from a pre-made list of options.

This. Although some black market producer would give us something alike... Either way, I'm still not sure what I want to be, but I'm proactively calling dibs on the mecha pilot too.
Victin

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 am

I'd like to be a doctor. A non-combatant role seems to be one most won't want, and I enjoy the idea of using fictional medical jargon.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I'd like to be a doctor. A non-combatant role seems to be one most won't want, and I enjoy the idea of using fictional medical jargon.

So essentially you are saying, "Dammit Xana, I'm a doctor, not a fighter!"

:P
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 am

Sicon112 wrote:
Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I'd like to be a doctor. A non-combatant role seems to be one most won't want, and I enjoy the idea of using fictional medical jargon.

So essentially you are saying, "Dammit Xana, I'm a doctor, not a fighter!"

:P

No, I'm saying, "Darn it, Xana, I'm a doctor, not a fighter!"
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 pm

So I have been thinking up sample character sheets. Don't bother filling this out as they will most likely be very different once all is said and done

Name:
Weapon: (for soldiers only)
Flight Frame: (for pilots only)
Appearance:
Backstory:
Lordxana0

Postby JRPictures on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 pm

That's a fine character sheet

I might aim for a weapon user or mech pilot.

I'm leaning towards mech pilot cause it seems like fun and the last time I wrote a character using a mecha, it was my Cthulhu fic.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Lordxana0 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am

So to give a rough idea of what Flight Frames look like

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/ ... Master.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs11/PRE/i/2 ... MEAUX9.jpg

Very slim and human like with plenty of room to build more stuff onto. Even the most basic frame would look human. All of them have the ability to fly.
Lordxana0

Postby agoraoptera on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 am

Like a Flag, then.

I WAS hoping for an Isis-type, though. Like this http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fXGLf44pYXo/T ... d_isis.jpg .

My two choices would either be a pilot or a doctor, but everyone else beat me to it. We'll see how it goes.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 am

I'd totally want to be the doctor. Or the captain. I'm kind of surprised that no one has expressed interest in being the captain yet, but then again I guess that's the no-one-wants-to-claim-a-job-that-everybody-would-want syndrome for you.

Also, it's still early days and we haven't started seriously discussing who will fill what role yet. So I guess it's not that surprising.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Next

Return to Roleplaying