Assisted Development: Blackmore Academy RP

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Assisted Development: Blackmore Academy RP

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome to Blackmore academy, home to students gifted in the art of combat. Here students will be in constant battle with one another to prove who is the best warrior in the entire school and to prepare them for future Mercenary, Soldier, Spy, and other such fields of employment. Each student will be provided with one weapon upon entering our school and must choose how they will set off from there. Students can fight as much as they want so long as they don't kill any other students, thanks to state of the art medical science Blackmore academy can heal even the gravest of wounds.

Blackmore Academy, training the next generation of warriors, today.

Premise: Basically when the RP starts players would be normal kids entering the school and be provided with one non gun weapon and enough food supplies to last a week. will be told that the only way they can continue to get fed is by battling their classmates until one gives up or is unable to continue fighting. Killing is deeply frowned upon and even if you lose you will still be provided with Privilege Points to spend on the things you want. The only times people can't fight are Peace Times (Midnight to ten a.m.). Students are encouraged to forms groups in order to strengthen themselves but is perfectly allowed to betray allies for the points.

No Magic or Fantasy. Just a battle of intelligence and strength.

Tell me what you guys think. I might not do this here but I would love opinions from you guys no matter what.

Update: The Academy is located on a massive deserted island far away from all other civilization. The main deterrent for people trying to leave of course is having no freaking idea where they are and the possibility of being lost at sea very real. At the center of the island is the dorms where people have their own rooms which they can enter from midnight to ten in the morning for rest and safety. Their are also shop machines which you can use Privilege points to buy weapons, food, water, and commodities that will be delivered to your room. Their are shop machines scattered across the island as well. Surrounding the Academy main building and other areas is a dense forest with buildings scattered around them that might be filled with weapons.

Update: When you beat an enemy (don't kill them, but dismemberment, stabbing, and other things are fine) you can use your wrist watch to call a Doc van to pick up the loser and possibly you and reward you with your Privilege points. If you don't report a victory you don't get the points (and no questions will be asked, so if you find someone truly deserving of death... who knows accidents happen)

Update: The purpose of this thread is now to perfect the Blackmore Academy Roleplaying game for future use on this site and possibly others (updated due to interest from enough sources to make it fun enough to do on this site)
Last edited by Lordxana0 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Re: New idea for an RP Blackmore Academy

Postby IslaKariese on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I like.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Eh, not too interested. It doesn't seem like there's too much of an objective or a world to screw around in. It's just, I dunno, doing stuff. Fighting-related stuff. :/
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Eh, not too interested. It doesn't seem like there's too much of an objective or a world to screw around in. It's just, I dunno, doing stuff. Fighting-related stuff. :/

A lot like Virtual War?
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Victin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I think I like it, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to get in.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:
Endless Sea wrote:Eh, not too interested. It doesn't seem like there's too much of an objective or a world to screw around in. It's just, I dunno, doing stuff. Fighting-related stuff. :/

A lot like Virtual War?

Eh, Virtual War is a battle to the death between two player characters with pretty much any powers you can fit into what the rules allow. In this, you're just some dudes, running around, doing nonlethal stuff with weapons that are presumably not made for nonlethal stuff. It's not as concrete here as it is in Virtual War, which is a bit of an issue in my eyes. Now, if there was a huge, varied environment to work with, I'd let the apparent aimlessness slide, but from the sound of things, everyone's confined to the academy, so...
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 pm

I am going to say three words right now, and that will be everything I need to say.

Alister Dalton Black

That is all.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 pm

It sounds fun, although I don't know if I'd do it because I'm not very good with writing fight scenes.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

I don't think people are looking past the fighting part of this. You can forge alliances with stronger people and betray them. Set up a shop for people after stealing all of your friends points and hire muscle to make sure you are well guarded. Stuff like that.
Lordxana0

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Eh, still not a lot to do, considering.
Endless Sea

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Eh, still not a lot to do, considering.

If you say so.
Lordxana0

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:50 pm

The idea is fine and it could work with the right playerbase. Personally, I learned to hate PvP, so I'd probably pass. Regardless of the alliance possibility, it will become factional, and the fact that betrayal is sort of a GM endorsed mechanic means I'm definitely not playing.

Again, can work very well with the proper playerbase.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:14 pm

I definitely think there are some cool possibilities here. It would depend heavily on the playerbase and the direction they decided to move in, though.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah. Might be fun. I'll think about joining, if you make it.
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Victin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Agreed. It would need the right playerbase to work out.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Scarab on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm

It's a cool idea, personally, I'm not interested in getting involed in another fighting centric game. I think I'm working with a fairly doable balance of Action-to-Discussion based storylines right now. But the school based scenario always works well for roleplays, that's probably why it's such a popular method :)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: Assisted Development: Blackmore Academy RP

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:23 am

Question for all those willing to help. Would the inclusion of nonplayer based creatures (feral animals, and such) be a welcome addition or should they be kept out.

Also should I allow in tech based powers (like electro gloves and things like that) in to allow greater variety. And if i add those sorts of things should i add more scieny monsters to the list like mutated freaks and zombies roaming around the forest.
Lordxana0

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Animals, only if you're cool with having deaths on the RP. A wolf pack wouldn't be polite enough to leave the students only half-way to death.
Zombies, no.

Tech weapons, like a taser or rubber-bullet guns don't imply in biochemical mutations of doom. And if you have Sci-Fi medicine on the level where detached limbs aren't even a bother, then you have long since defeated the Zombie Apocalypse. Besides, biological zombies are a very minor threat unless in swarm numbers big enough to overrun the whole facility.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:54 pm

List of Factions- Alpha

Roughnecks- A military styled group of students who prefer group tactics and strong leadership above all. They are well liked even by people who aren't part of their outfit due to providing protection for other students from some of the more wild aspects of the island. Symbol- A red and green star

Grave Diggers- A group dedicated to spreading pain and misery all throughout the island. They mainly focus on strong groups of two. Members focus on weapons made for causing the maximum amount of pain in an enemy without killing them. They will attack any other faction or neutral parties for the hell of it. Symbol- Two shovels crossing a skull

Art is Death- A group that in some way exists and in other ways doesn't. They have no formal leadership and do not operate in groups. but every once in awhile a Doc Wagon will be called in and all they will find is an unconscious student being used in some sort of demented art project. Symbol- Anarchist Sign

Brain Trust: Brains over brawn is this groups motto. Their main tactic to winning battles is out thinking their enemies and leading them to their own defeats. They are known to spend their points on junk and make their own weapons in order to screw with expectations. They also trade with all major factions in order to remain a neutral party in battles. You don't attack the people making your stuff after all. Symbol- A picture of a brain with a blade sticking out of it.
Lordxana0

Postby Victin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:Question for all those willing to help. Would the inclusion of nonplayer based creatures (feral animals, and such) be a welcome addition or should they be kept out.

Also should I allow in tech based powers (like electro gloves and things like that) in to allow greater variety. And if i add those sorts of things should i add more scieny monsters to the list like mutated freaks and zombies roaming around the forest.

I like those ideas, but I agree with Pixel when he says zombies wouldn't be that good. But I do think something "unexplained" would fit the RP.

Lordxana0 wrote:List of Factions- Alpha

Roughnecks- A military styled group of students who prefer group tactics and strong leadership above all. They are well liked even by people who aren't part of their outfit due to providing protection for other students from some of the more wild aspects of the island. Symbol- A red and green star

Grave Diggers- A group dedicated to spreading pain and misery all throughout the island. They mainly focus on strong groups of two. Members focus on weapons made for causing the maximum amount of pain in an enemy without killing them. They will attack any other faction or neutral parties for the hell of it. Symbol- Two shovels crossing a skull

Art is Death- A group that in some way exists and in other ways doesn't. They have no formal leadership and do not operate in groups. but every once in awhile a Doc Wagon will be called in and all they will find is an unconscious student being used in some sort of demented art project. Symbol- Anarchist Sign

Brain Trust: Brains over brawn is this groups motto. Their main tactic to winning battles is out thinking their enemies and leading them to their own defeats. They are known to spend their points on junk and make their own weapons in order to screw with expectations. They also trade with all major factions in order to remain a neutral party in battles. You don't attack the people making your stuff after all. Symbol- A picture of a brain with a blade sticking out of it.

I like these. Brain Trust mostly, as I'd like to be a part of them. (but I don't like the name that much)

Also, Art is Death is interesting, but: a) which anarchist sign? The A or the flower? (I was going to say 'fist' instead of A, I dunno why); and b) they remind me of Are We Cool Yet?, which is cool. And I can totally see them making a "mind control" project which turn people into "zombies". I believe it would be cool to have a fight "everyone" versus AiD and their zombies.
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Brain Trust and Art is Death seem like they'd be the most fun to write for. Although where it would get really interesting would be the interplay between all four of the groups.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:List of Factions- Alpha

well, you requested my opinion, so.
I like the general concept, I do avoid most PvP though, so I'll probably restrict myself to the role of spectator. That said, this reminds me (vaguely) of a book series I read once, something along the lines of warring school factions and children actively attempting to escape.

As for the different factions themselves, they all look pretty awesome though I think I like Brain Trust the most. Like Narra said, it would be interesting to see how they interact.

As for the different enemies, it all comes down to whether you want the school to be eldritch or not. If so, it would be better not to really define the enemies, increasing the horror (though that makes one wonder why they don't team up to leave to a less violent school). If you wanted to define the enemies, I'd say products of an Art is Death ceremony could make a good side enemy, or more mundane things like wolves.

Overall, you have yet again created something badass, Xana. :)
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Big question. Should I make Blackmore Academy more mission focused with only few elements of PvP or continue on with PvP and mild mission based elements.
Lordxana0

Postby Scarab on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:06 am

Lordxana0 wrote:Big question. Should I make Blackmore Academy more mission focused with only few elements of PvP or continue on with PvP and mild mission based elements.

I would say it depends on the nature of the missions. Basic ones will give your characters and players a focus without pushing them too much down one particular avenue
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am

Lordxana0 wrote:Big question. Should I make Blackmore Academy more mission focused with only few elements of PvP or continue on with PvP and mild mission based elements.

Overall, I find missions more interesting than PvP, but that's just a personal preference.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Next

Return to Roleplaying