Idea Thread

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Re: Idea Thread

Postby Victin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Ooohhh... I think we had a similar idea and you pointed me to that (Dawn of the Worlds) and we were talking about it once. Also I just noticed a typo in that .pdf. Shame. SHAAAAMEEEE!

Also the other RP sounds interesting, I think. Maybe.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Anura on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Regarding the god game, I remembered that I actually had two different ideas for them.

The first idea is the one which was run before on Tropes a few times, Work in Progress (originally a placeholder title, but it ended up sticking because that's what the project perpetually is). It's pretty much as stated earlier: gods plop into existence for whatever reason, gods make world, and we show that British guy how a Silmarillion is really done. Once we've made ourselves a setting, we can play with it as we see fit; writing stories set in it's various eras, for example. I think it would work quite well here.

The second idea is something I was planning to run back at Tropes, something I tentatively titled Divine Chessboard. This time around, the world already exists and the gods are summoned into existence by people calling out to them. The gods are sustained and powered by the faith of their worshippers, and the game centres around their politicking over this precious resource. They could form alliances and be worshipped together as a pantheon to share power, or incite holy wars to convert and/or kill the worshippers of their rivals to starve them to death.

It's possible to combine the ideas, but they really are two different flavours and I don't think they'd mesh all that well. So... which one sounds more appealing?
Anura

Postby Victin on Wed May 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Found this one on the internet and it seems easy enough to implement: Everyone is John, a game in which every player is the same character: John, a man with split-personalities and a tendency to turn simple situations into challenges of epic proportions. I think it could be fun if people are interested, but since I'd be a first time GM I don't know where to proceed. I already tweaked the system a little because it seemed "too simple" for something forum based. On the other hand, it can't be "too complex", because then it's more about math than roleplaying itself (which isn't necessarily not fun, but I'm working with the assumption most of you would prefer to not roll tens of dice everytime you want to play :P). Thus, I'm trying to add some elements from Chuubo (a diceless RP system) to it because I felt it was pretty similar - but again, I dunno if I'm verging on the "too complex" line.

Well, there's the GM, aka Everyone Else, but I'd rather leave the players to move conversations (though that'd mean I wouldn't get to make intrusions in case I want a NPC to do something [well, technically I could, but timezones or not being online might cause so]), which would reduce me to giving away "quests" and throwing in extra challenges here and there. The Players, aka the Voices, are multiple facets of John's personality. Each has an amount (or none) of Willpower, a set of Skills and a few Obsessions.

Willpower has two uses: determining post order and improving John's chance of success in any given action. We'll see the latter later, for now, before each round the voices choose whether or not they want to spend Willpower to have a higher chance of starting with control or not, then roll 1d6 + Willpower spent and compare results. For example: Granny John chose to spend 2 Willpower and rolled a 3, the result being 5. Cool John chose to not spend Willpower at all, but rolled a 6, so he will post before Granny John. However, Joanna chose to spend 1 Willpower and rolled a 5, resulting in 6. Cool John and Jenna have each to roll 1d6, this time without spending Willpower, and whomever rolls higher posts first. Every player starts with 10 Willpower.

Skills just tell how good a Voice is at doing a specific thing. Each Voice starts with three skill points, but can get a negative skill to give themselves an extra skill point. -1 means you're bad at something, 0 means average, 1 good, 2 very good and 3 awesome. For example, Granny John spends 2 skill points in Baking, resulting in Baking 2, and another in Needlework, resulting in Needlework 1. But she thinks this isn't enough, so for Needlework 2 she decides to get Motion -1, which means any task involving speed will be harder for her. She takes twice the time to walk to places - heck, she drives at the minimum speed limit. I assume if she wanted to "Bake cookies fast", however, that her positive skill has advantage over the negative one. If you want more dice in this, each skill point could mean an extra dice for an action. Say you need to roll 1d10 (where you check the result in a table that tells you how much you've succeeded, varying from 0 - Fails and Shames John, 6 - Makes Johns Happy and 10 - Succeeds and Impresses Everyone Else) for every action: each skill level would add 1 dice to it, and you'd pick the higher result. For example, Granny John would roll 3d10 for either Baking or Needlework-related actions. Spending Willpower would work the same way, and you need to spend it beforehand too.

Obsessions are... Well, things each Voice enjoys doing a little too much. They come in three levels: One (easy to accomplish and mostly unharmful, e.g.: "eating candy"), Two (more difficult or risk, like "trying to find my grandchildren") and Three (really hard and/or criminal, such as "blowing up buildings"). Everytime you fulfill an Obsession, you regain its level in Willpower.

What do you think?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed May 14, 2014 3:30 pm

It sounds fun, but it also seems more suited to face-to-face roleplaying than something over a forum.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:It sounds fun, but it also seems more suited to face-to-face roleplaying than something over a forum.

That's what it originally was, anyways. :P
Victin

Postby Lordxana0 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:21 am

Basically the story is that there is this dungeon that opens once every year, and it requires adventures to go down it or else it will release the ultimate evil into the world. The bad news is that no one has ever survived it, in fact no one has made it past the first floor. So by now the Adventurer Guild just sends down low level heroes as more of a sacrifice than anything. The twist is that player characters will only really make it a floor or two before dying, but by getting further down they open up short cuts for the next generation. They can also leave behind their gear and stuff in hidden boxes so that they can be retrieved
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Anura on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:33 am

Have you been playing Rogue Legacy lately?
Anura

Postby Lordxana0 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 am

In the land of Noxima all is not peaceful. The lands are under constant assault by the massive war machines known as Golems left behind by those that came before, destroying all that come into their paths with zero hesitation. Only the most elite warriors of the realms can defeat the Golem's, those known only as Giant Hunters. These warriors specialize in either weapon combat, Magic, ranged combat, or hand to hand. Their skills are increased by years of trained and special tattoos they receive once finished with their training that magically increase their basic attributes. These Giant Hunters roam the lands, tracking down the Golem's and destroying them, taking whatever they find from their fallen foes and crafting them into even better weapons.

So the idea behind this would just be to have like two-four people run a thread on this and kind of just have fun. Players would be Giant Hunters, fighting the machine robots known as Golems and saving the world.

Players can have characters from any of the following four classes.

Weapon users: These warriors use weapons forged from the metals of the fallen Golem's to create all sorts of weapons to fight with. Due to their attribute boosting tattoos these weapons can be small or double their own size without effecting movement speed at all.

Magic users: These crafty warriors use natural energy to their advantage against the Golem threat. Magic users can craft fireballs out of thin air or make it rain down lightening on their foes, at the cost of their own natural stamina of course.

Ranged fighters: Ranged fighters come in two varieties. Some use massive bows and arrows to piece the metallic armor of the Golems, while others rip off the artillery cannons or other ranged weapons from the Golem's and use those to fight instead.

Hand to Hand: These fighters have built their abilities to the point where they choose to enter battle with Golem's without the aid of any weapons, simply fighting with their own two fists.

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapon/Favored element/Favored fighting style:
Bio:
Appearance:
Lordxana0

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 am

My idea is very vague, but...

Has anyone ever done a Dungeons and Dragons set in the Roaring 20s?

We could have the War Veteran being a Fighter, a Gangster as a rogue...and the possibilities are endless! Let's see-Cthulhu, Ancient Egyptian Curses, the Gang Wars of Chicago, Lindbergh, a booming New York, the aftermath of WWI, Babe Ruth, Sacco and Vanzetti, the glitz and glamour of early Hollywood...
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Krika on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:34 pm

The City. A massive, sprawling place, stretching from one end of the horizon to the other. A glorious thriving metropolis, inhabited by every race and people you could imagine. A place of life and industry, of wondrous magic and powerful weapons. Anything and anyone you could possibly care to find could be found somewhere within it's boundaries. All in all, probably the best place you could live.

Unfortunately, you don't live in it. Well, technically you live in the lowest layers, but it's not like you get to go out and see the rest of it. Or work in it. Because you have the worst job in the city. You're a Sewer Rat.

This is the point where we introduce the Sewer. The City is filled with magic, and over the countless generations, the residue has sunk down into the extensive and cavernous sewers necessitated by the City's size. As time passed, the magic soaked into the walls and floors of the sewer, slowly altering the very nature of the place.

Now? Now it's not just a sewer, it's the Sewer. Inconsistent geography that can't ever be really be mapped more than temporarily? Check. Infested with all sorts of creatures and people, most of which interfere with the proper running and the routine maintenance? Check. All of this on top of the normal things a sewer has in it? Check.

Use adventuring groups? Yeah, they do go down and kill things on occasion. When the money's good enough to justify traipsing down into the disgusting depths, and they can't find easier work to do, and when it's not fixing pipes and clearing blockage. They also don't clean up after themselves, meaning that even if they do solve a problem down there, and solve it right, we almost always have to go clean up after them.

So, a special breed of problem-solver was born. Someone wiling to do all the dirty, dirty work it takes to keep the sewers running properly. Someone who wouldn't mind the conditions and hazards inherent to keeping the Sewer running properly. And that's how the occupation of Sewer Rat came to be.

So, with that being said, welcome to the worst job in the City. You're never going to be as clean as you are now, and after a while you won't even notice. I don't know what you were thinking signing up, if you even were, but you're here for good now, so make the most of it.

---Artemesia, Secretary at the Department of Sewage
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Anura on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Would a Homestuck/SBURB RP be feasible here? I find myself wondering whether the FC format could be applied to it. A whole planet for each player is certainly a lot of sidequests.
Anura

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:07 pm

oooo i like it
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Victin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I could write for one right now.
Victin

Postby Krika on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:44 pm

I have the horrible idea of wanting to try and start up a D&D game again. Who wants to get a seat on this taco cart?
Krika
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Maybe? I'm terrified of trying, but I'm terrified of everything other than my cat lately so... *does not know* D&D Campaigns are nice though.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Anura on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:31 pm

Depends on many factors. Like what edition.

I have a terrible idea of my own. It's called "Maid RPG".
Anura

Postby Krika on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:33 pm

I am planning on doing 4th edition, though I could be persuaded into 3.5, Pathfinder, or 2e. It'd take a hell of a Diplomacy check, though, since my stockpile of adventures is all for 4th.
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:12 am

I still want to make a Power Rangers RP.
Lordxana0

Postby JRPictures on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:46 am

I went ahead and spoiled my cyberpunk RP to the players at TVT since the RP is pretty much dead there, though a part of me wants to bring it here and see how you guys might handle it.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Anura on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Part of me wants to try rebooting my old Persona RP here. Most of me feels that it isn't worth the effort.
Anura

Postby Anura on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm

I found a thing:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yibrv ... 6_v1.3.pdf

Anyone wanna mess with crystals and chocobos? :lol:
Anura

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 pm

The only thing keeping me from reading it is how the site obnoxiously displays the pdf file :|

sounds interesting, though
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Anura on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 am

You could always just download it. I got my antivirus to look at it before opening it and it checked out, so no worries there (though it wouldn't hurt to check yourself anyway).
Anura

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:49 pm

RP where the characters are part of a band that are also all monster hunters. I just had this idea and I know I could make it work. Maybe even use music as a weapon. Hm...
Lordxana0

Postby Lordxana0 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Kind of want to redo the First RP but with new elements and such.
Lordxana0

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplaying