Idea Thread

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Re: Idea Thread

Postby Victin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Endless Sea wrote:
Victin wrote:I've heard about that thread but I've been told by a girl who has been there instead of character development, there are mostly fights. And if you will let me, I'd like to suggest a mundane fantasy setting because those are my favorite. Actually I just made up three diferent ones and 5 minutes from when I first read your post haven't even passed XD

Endless Sea wrote:Cyborg mage at the university? Go ahead! (don't make it a magic university, though, since it's supposed to be Earth :P )

What's the problem of having a magic university on Earth? :P

Well, magic kinda doesn't exist, y'know.

Not in this Earth for sure, but who's going to say something about a ficitonal Earth :P
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Well, fictional earth is, for all intents and purposes, a slightly more advanced version of this earth, so nope, no magic. Only the stuff you bring with you, nothing more.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Victin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Well, fictional earth is, for all intents and purposes, a slightly more advanced version of this earth, so nope, no magic. Only the stuff you bring with you, nothing more.

I see. Can I at least suggest any other locations? :P
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Sure, but I chose those three to start off with for specific reasons, so if this gets made, they might not show up during the first round.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Victin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Sure, but I chose those three to start off with for specific reasons, so if this gets made, they might not show up during the first round.

Can they be settings I may/probably am going to use somewhere else (including one I might use here)? I barely remember two of the three settings I came up with this morning, and I think I forgot what made me interested in them. Well, at least one of them I remember, the problem the other seems similar, except in the past.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm

I guess? I'm mostly thinking of the topics I myself want to start at this point. If you want to make some of your own, I won't stop you.
Endless Sea

Postby Victin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Endless Sea wrote:I guess? I'm mostly thinking of the topics I myself want to start at this point. If you want to make some of your own, I won't stop you.

Sorry, I think I'm confused now.
Victin

Postby Victin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Sorry for doubleposting. I'm thinking about starting a choose-your-own-aventure like game, though I'm unsure if it'd work go on the RPG session of the forum or in the Off-Topic, and I don't know if you'd be interested. Since I don't know how much to plan I only have the backstory of the character, and maybe an idea in case I make the world working on RPG game physic rules. What do you think? Would you like to play a game like that? Any way you'd prefer the world to work, or suggestions?

Also I'm in doubt in case I should offer you options of what to do (alwaays with a suggest whatever you want option) or just let you figure out what to do.
Victin

Postby Blurred_9L on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Well, if it's just people choosing an option out of a given set, I guess it would be more fitting if it were on off-topic... or at least that's what I think, I dunno about the other though...
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Victin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:Well, if it's just people choosing an option out of a given set, I guess it would be more fitting if it were on off-topic... or at least that's what I think, I dunno about the other though...

With either option you'd be able to give suggestions of what to do though.
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:46 pm

It sounds like it's not so much roleplaying to me, so I'd recommend Off-Topic, or maybe Metaguard Projects.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:00 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:It sounds like it's not so much roleplaying to me, so I'd recommend Off-Topic, or maybe Metaguard Projects.

It's more for fun, so I guess Off-topic will work.
Victin

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 pm

So I recently had an idea to help people who might want to learn how to GM an RP. Here is the idea

Players are average high school students who are invited to a party by a mutual friend that they all trust. He is someone important to the players characters, someone who has had large and positive impact on their lives. When they arrive at the party he informs them that he is actually a creature that feeds off peoples emotions. The house they have entered has now become inescapable via any normal means. He reveals to them that in order to escape they must explore the house, and that each room is created by a characters mind, with all their fears and darkest secrets looming around the corners. He tells them that in the deepest layer of these rooms are keys, and each person will need a key in order to escape the house, and it is impossible to leave until they have all of them.

Players will each create their own unique mental worlds, filled with whatever they want. It will be their jobs to make the environment and any enemies they want, and must lead the other players through the world of their characters mind. Players can gain weapons or abilities specific to the mental world they are in, but they can not be carried with them from world to world.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby JRPictures on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:So I recently had an idea to help people who might want to learn how to GM an RP. Here is the idea

Players are average high school students who are invited to a party by a mutual friend that they all trust. He is someone important to the players characters, someone who has had large and positive impact on their lives. When they arrive at the party he informs them that he is actually a creature that feeds off peoples emotions. The house they have entered has now become inescapable via any normal means. He reveals to them that in order to escape they must explore the house, and that each room is created by a characters mind, with all their fears and darkest secrets looming around the corners. He tells them that in the deepest layer of these rooms are keys, and each person will need a key in order to escape the house, and it is impossible to leave until they have all of them.

Players will each create their own unique mental worlds, filled with whatever they want. It will be their jobs to make the environment and any enemies they want, and must lead the other players through the world of their characters mind. Players can gain weapons or abilities specific to the mental world they are in, but they can not be carried with them from world to world.

That sounds pretty good actually.

I'd be willing to join
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Victin on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm

JRPictures wrote:
Lordxana0 wrote:So I recently had an idea to help people who might want to learn how to GM an RP. Here is the idea

That sounds pretty good actually.

I'd be willing to join

Very much agreed. I want this experience, so count me in. :D
Victin

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:29 pm

If I can get five people who are interested in the idea I will make it a thing.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I might join if I get the time, but that's a rather sizable if. I think I would end up creating a psychedelic and nonsensical realm borne of rampant paranoia where everything and everyone, no matter how nonsenical, is trying to kill you in the most convoluted way possible though.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Victin on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm thinking about starting a very silly themed RPG with mostly randomly generated stuff. People would generate random classes (or everyone would just be a mage, such as Magicka I think) and get 3-5 random powers from a random generator (setting it to at least 5 random-generated skill). Since this is supposed to be a silly thing, I don't think PvP would matter much, so maybe I'd just give everyone 3 lives and if they end you make a new character. Every time you level up you get points to spend with your character, however you want to. You usually get 1 point, at least in the first levels, and you can use it to do one of these things: rise a stat, buy a new spell, increase one of your power levels, get a passive ability, etc. Other than that, only by buying items you can increase your stats. Oh, and everyone would have a different quest, with the possibility of people sharing a quest once the characters get to know each other.

I'm thinking if I should add dice rolls to increase the randomness of the game, but I'm not sure how it'd go. What's your opinion on this? What should I keep and what I shouldn't?
Victin

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Better idea than die rolls. Each turn, the GM changes, so it ends up sort of like one of those story-making games where each person gets only a certain number of words. XD
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Victin on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:56 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Better idea than die rolls. Each turn, the GM changes, so it ends up sort of like one of those story-making games where each person gets only a certain number of words. XD

Hm... Good idea. Though I wonder how it'd work then. The way I see it, all the GM would do is send a different strange crap each turn at the players, and keep track of what they do, and how they spend their points and whatever. And since most of it'd be random generated, would it make much of a different? I mean, unless I can't find a generator for... Say, wacky places and silly items, then that would fall under the GM's bidding.
Victin

Postby Victin on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Sorry for double-posting, but here goes my RP ideas. Some of them were actually just one idea, but I've split them into multiple ones because some are in regards to the mechanics of the game while others setting.

A roleplaying game with randomly generated powers. There are many ways to obtain those, such as this, this, this one or even this silly one. The point of this would see how one would deal with a randomly asigned power (excluding, say, Omni-powers, or Time-wrecking power for examples), but asides from trusting you all the one way to do it would be the the GM assigning powers to people, but I don't see why it'd be needed, at least if the last generator were to be the one used. I suppose for the Superpower Wiki one, each character could have at least two different random powers, whether they mingle or not. Same goes for the silly spells, each character's grimoire would start with at least 3 and at most 5.

A game in which each character has a list of overly specific skills and weaknesses. To what aim a RP would have those Idk, I was planning to use the silly spell generator together with it, but I'm not sure if it'd work. The overly specific skills would be something like Escape Unnoticed From Mr. Johnson's Physics Class Through The Air Vent and Climb The East Wall Of That Alleway At The Thirteenth Avenue, which only work in the situation exactly as it says on the tin. The weaknesses would be, well, weaknesses. At first I had two kind in mind (Mania and Phobia), but I noticed there logically would be more than two kinds of those. An example of mania would be "whistling the theme tune for World 1-1 whenever in a risky situation", and one for phobia would be 'having ictiophobia, because all fish are psions that will eat your soul (maybe yes, maybe no, but you don't want to test it out)". But I figured out that, say, your character once went outside wearing a black-and-white shirt and now all treehuggers in town hate you because they think you skinned a panda.

Also, another way of getting an unusual power in this or in the previous idea would be working as, or studying to work as something randomly generated here. For example, maybe your character previous job was as a Toad Harasser, so in case you ever need to deal with toads, or something similar, you are the right person to call (or not). Also, I literally just got Cow Lord on it.

A setting in which most, if not all powers resolve around something called Power of Existence. Quoting myself, "Power of Existence is a concept present in everything ever, because… Well, everything exists. And there isn’t really something like the Power of Nonexistence because said power would simply be the removal of the Power of Existence from things Also, there really aren’t anything that doesn’t exist, because something that would not exist does not exist, therefore not being able to exist. Since it is omnipresent, it’s used widely as a direct force into subjulgating reality to one’s own will, momentaneously broking usual laws of nature; that is, magic." Some skillsets present inside the setting would be Artificier (one that uses the power of existence to create weapons and similar constructs), Elementalist (I'm sure I had a better name for this one, that works through the manipulation of already existing materials in an area, or creating such materials or something in those lines, such as pyrokinesis for example), Manipulation of Ki (a more direct form of manipulation of the Power of Existence that works by reinforcing the amount of such in objects; For example, gathering a bigger-than-natural amount of Power of Existence in your arm, so when you punch, the strenght of the concept of 'punching' is greater and your punch also becomes able to overlayer/overpower weaker existences, dealing extra damage) and Manipulation of Chakra (Manipulation of Life force, used similarly to Ki, except in more direct Life-y ways).

I'm almost sure it was also inside this setting that I came up with the idea of having whatever manipulation you want, except more specific manipulations are more powerful than more generic ones if they are in the same level. For example, a person with the power to Control Nature would be overpowered if s/he tried to control earth at the same time someone with the power to Control Earth did so. And, someone who specializes into casting only fireballs will eventually be a very powerful pyrourgist. Who can only cast one spell, Fireball. And if you wanted to learn more spells, you wouldn't be able to strenghten the ones you have at the same pace.

Since I'm not as savvy about the Nasuverse as it'd require, I guess a simple setting somewhat based on the Nasuverse and/or The Lucifer and Biscuits Hammer could work, in which the characters get psychic-based powers they can evolve in whatever they want to, Idk. I had a clearer idea but I actually forgot it. Maybe something about invoking characters from fictional myths, I can't really remember.

A setting in which each of the players is an immortal with a different magical power, and the immortality only lasts until another immortal kills you. Wait, wasn't that Highlander actually? With elephants, the players have magical powers, maybe randomly generated ones, and there's some sort of war starting among the immortals, who knows.

A setting in which there are archetypes the players can pick from to use as powersets. Each archetype has its own characteristic skill and one way that can let others easily discover you are a participant in this 'war'. The players would all be on the same team angainst NPCs, and each time an archetype dies, the players and the enemies get stronger, but for that I suppose I would have to be able to kill the players :? So far the explanation I had for why the archetypes exist is that these were the skills of powerful past heroes or something, which have been reincarnated for [reasons]. It wouldn't have much asides from the archetypes fighting each other, but maybe if I were to create a setting which sounded cool and would work with what I have, maybe there also would be spirits and monsters and similar stuff.

Something (maybe vaguely) based on Xiaolin Showdown, with magical items ones fight for, but with more generical magical objects, such as magic bullets you can buy for your gun, bags of winds you can buy to use in battle, stuff like that. Maybe even naturally occurring magical spirits the players have to hunt. Idk, I sort of picked some leftover ideas and gathered in this last snippet.

I think those are all the settings and mechanics I had in mind, feedback is welcome ;)
Victin

Postby Anura on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Two different flavours of world-building RP.

The first is based on an RP I played a few years ago, which was rebooted three times due to lack of posting (I was GM in the final run): every player takes the role of a deity, and they create a world and then meddle in it's affairs as it's history unfolds. It was on Tropes so it was predictably a fandom crossover (I think the original idea was to scale up the standard crossover RP to it's logical conclusion), but I think you guys would work better with original characters, which would also neatly solve the balancing issues the other games tended to run into.

TL;DR: Make Our Own Mythology.

The other one is on a much smaller scale. I guess you could say that if FC looks at the concept art and basic plot of Sword Art Online and takes it running in a completely different direction, then this one does the same with Bastion. In the wake of a cataclysm that leaves behind a Shattered World, a group of survivors band together to reclaim what they can of the old world and build something new for themselves. Helping matters is that they've developed various magical abilities, which seems to be tied to the nature of the cataclysm.

TL;DR: Post-apocalyptic Survival Fantasy loosely based on Bastion.
Anura

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:46 pm

I like the sound of the first one. (I would have no idea what to do with it if we were taking characters from other sources, but constructing original characters is something I can handle.)

The second one I'd be less interested in, though possibly I'd be okay with it if it was described without reference to any outside sources. (In the same vein, I would never have joined FC if anyone had mentioned Sword Art Online while pitching it.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:18 am

I remember I already thought of a RP similar to the first one you suggested. In fact, I'm almost sure I already posted it somewhere. I think it might've been here? Or... Did I ever tell you about it? I'm feeling a déjà vu here.

Anyhow, that means I'm interested. Probably. I'd prefer original characters too.

The second one... Idk. Maybe if you described it without the references?
Victin

Postby Anura on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Would the first one be this? Because I remember talking with you about starting up a game of it here, before I run into issues. This thing here is much more freeform.

As for the second, just cut out the sentences that contain a reference (Shattered World is a trope btw, not a work), and it's pretty much the same description. But here's an elaboration anyway.

The old world (nondescript, could be just about any setting) is brought to a violent end by a mysterious cataclysm which leaves behind only a bunch of floating islands covered in weird crystals (check the World In The Sky trope, that's pretty much what I'm going for). Some of these have people still on them, but the majority of the world's population just fell into the newly opened abyss. To make matters worse, all of the survivors get mysteriously ill; some of them suddenly recover to find themselves slightly stronger than before and acquiring magic (something that this world has no prior experience with). Those who don't make a recovery within a month or two end up dead.

Anyway, the game would start a while after that, once they've gotten to grips with the magic system (those crystals can apparently amplify their powers, in different ways depending on the type of crystal involved), when one guy on a particularly huge island uses the particularly huge crystal at it's heart to call out to anyone else out there. The PC's travel there by various means and begin building a settlement there using whatever they can scavenge from the other islands, whether supplies, building materials or big chunks of crystal (every island has a crystal at it's heart that allows it to float). But of course, there are complications with that. Monsters, which might be mutant animals or just popped up from the same place as the cataclysm, prowl the islands looking for things to eat, and apparently you're very tasty. The village, eventually a fortress town, eventually a citadel etc., has to keep fending off attack by particularly desperate, stupid, or quite possibly vengeful monsters. Not to mention that other groups of survivors might be building cities of their own somewhere out there.

So, yeah, basically.
Anura

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplaying