Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Scarab on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm

So guys... this was going to happen sooner or later. I’ve got an RP idea brewing in my head that I’d like to ask you all about.

It’s vaguely inspired by the videogame series Persona, wherein people do battle with monsters using the manifestations of their own psyches in the form of Personas, and also by the ARG, and the whole concept of reality and fiction blurring. It's intended to follow the spirit of the game that inspired it: some degree of fighting will take place, and there’ll be an ultimate goal to aim for, but there's a 'Slice of Life' element, and, like with Floating Castle, a lot of story progression will be dictated by the players. By the stories THEY choose to tell and how they choose to reach the ending.

I’ve had lots of suggestions from the folks I’ve been batting this idea back and forth with for weeks (thanks for all the help, guys!) and everyone had different suggestions as to how this RP can be played.

So I’m here to ask you guys what kind of RP you would like to see in more detail. Would you guys prefer:

  • Deliberately writing outside of character type: In this version, you would sign up, and describe your usual writing style. You would then be assigned an emblem and ‘character type’ that is as far from your usual playing type as is possible. This could make for a great writing challenge, but might not have as much endurance.
  • Something more self insert related. Your persona would be inspired entirely by YOUR personality, you would be assigned skills and emblems based on what suits you the most. This has the same advantages and risks that came from the ARG: a strong sense of involvement, and of course it’s EASIER to be yourself, but also the risk that it gets... TOO personal. Some really strict lines might have to be established.
  • Basic, standard RP: you create whatever character type you like, are assigned, or assign yourself, an emblem and play that way. Which we’ve all done before and would be easiest to implement.

I’d like your opinions on what kind of ideas you like the best, and would enjoy exploring the most. I’d also like to hear your pros and cons on each idea and whatever ideas you might have for how you guys would like things to go :).
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Ooh, the playing-against-type-assignment idea sounds cool. Reminds me of basically every drama class ever, wherein my teachers would give me awesome but quiet-and-underdone roles to play solely because they weren't like me and they already KNEW I could be hammy.

So yeah. Not sure I'd participate in this, since I don't know anything about Persona and such, but for what it's worth, my vote goes there for creative challenges.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
User avatar
Qara-Xuan Zenith
 
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Scarab on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Ooh, the playing-against-type-assignment idea sounds cool. Reminds me of basically every drama class ever, wherein my teachers would give me awesome but quiet-and-underdone roles to play solely because they weren't like me and they already KNEW I could be hammy.

So yeah. Not sure I'd participate in this, since I don't know anything about Persona and such, but for what it's worth, my vote goes there for creative challenges.


It's definitely an interesting option, although the effect can perhaps be obtained in other ways within a more traditional setting... also you really wouldn't need to know anything about Persona for this. Most things would be explained and you guys would probably get to dictate a number of the rules because you know, making it up as we go :)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Part of me wants you to go for one of the first two options to create something new and interesting... and part of me wants to do the third one because it will be easier and safer. The life of a coward is difficult indeed.
User avatar
JackAlsworth
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 pm
Location: Western Washington State

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Guyshane on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I'll be perfectly honest I like the ideas of powers based on my personality but I do worry about writing a self-insert since I base the concept of each one of my RP characters on one of my personality traits amped up to eleven
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
User avatar
Guyshane
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:56 pm

hm.. either of the first two :)
User avatar
eli_gone_crazy
 
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Well, I put my full weight on the first option.

Third one is run-of-the-mill. Better make things interesting with one of the first two. That said, I'd not really be comfortable with the second. I mean, using a self-insert can be fun, but given interactions and conflicts that make for a great story... It'd feel awkward to me.

First is the cool one. I mean, it's a great writing exercise (and let's be honest, who here deliberately and out of their own initiative writes a character against their type just for practice?) and it's a twist that's make things more interesting both to read and to write. I really, really like the first idea. :D

Of course, who am I kidding...? It's Persona-based. I'd end up joining it anyway. :P
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
User avatar
Pixelmage
 
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Victin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I personally prefer the third. I'm not sure which kind of writing style would be different from my usual writing style, save for the use of non-original characters :S The second one also seems good, though I'm not sure if I could make a character out of myself. I could try, though.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby agoraoptera on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 am

Hybridise the first and second so it's not too extreme maybe? Say I were assigned to a more aggressive playing type. Then I get to rotate maybe two or three characteristics of the available playing types into this 'aggressive' type?

... Or I'm just misunderstanding everything. If I am, then I vote for the first. (But still, I'd prefer something not "as far from" my usual playing type, just something markedly different. So.. I'm voting for a moderate implementation of the first, if possible.)
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla


Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
User avatar
agoraoptera
 
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Scarab on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

agoraoptera wrote:Hybridise the first and second so it's not too extreme maybe? Say I were assigned to a more aggressive playing type. Then I get to rotate maybe two or three characteristics of the available playing types into this 'aggressive' type?

... Or I'm just misunderstanding everything. If I am, then I vote for the first. (But still, I'd prefer something not "as far from" my usual playing type, just something markedly different. So.. I'm voting for a moderate implementation of the first, if possible.)


The first and the second together could be a workable method. One way to balance out the difficulty of forcing people to write extremely against type by presenting them with SITUATIONS outside of their comfort range rather than forcing them to write characters directly contrary to their current preference. Loads of people enjoy writing lots of different character types here, so making 'writing against type' a designation might be a bit pointless.

No, you're understanding me, I think calling this game 'persona Inspired' in the title was a mistake because now people are thinking it's a fan project or that you'll need to have a great deal of knowledge about Persona, neither of which are the case.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby JackAlsworth on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Scarab wrote:The first and the second together could be a workable method. One way to balance out the difficulty of forcing people to write extremely against type by presenting them with SITUATIONS outside of their comfort range rather than forcing them to write characters directly contrary to their current preference.


Now that idea I like a lot.
User avatar
JackAlsworth
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 pm
Location: Western Washington State

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Blurred_9L on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Well... first option seems to be the most reasonable one, but rather than describing our writing styles, I'd find it easier if somebody sort of judged the people who were going to play and assign them a random character or something.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
User avatar
Blurred_9L
 
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco, MX

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Scarab on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:Well... first option seems to be the most reasonable one, but rather than describing our writing styles, I'd find it easier if somebody sort of judged the people who were going to play and assign them a random character or something.


Yeah that's sort of the way it was planned to work. Get a few people to look at a persons usual writing style and assign them something else. The same issues remain ,however
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby SpiritfChaos on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 pm

I've never played Persona, but I'd still be interested.
I'm just a guy who wants to help save the world.
User avatar
SpiritfChaos
 
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 am

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

What could be interesting, sort of a spin on the first option, would be if we each wrote up character sheets that we'd feel normal playing, and then you rearranged and redistributed them so we each had to write a character someone else had designed. I could see that one being really bad or really, really good.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
User avatar
Qara-Xuan Zenith
 
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What could be interesting, sort of a spin on the first option, would be if we each wrote up character sheets that we'd feel normal playing, and then you rearranged and redistributed them so we each had to write a character someone else had designed. I could see that one being really bad or really, really good.


Probably a mix of both, as some people would be able to adapt to the changes, and others would find their choice incompatible.
User avatar
eli_gone_crazy
 
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby Scarab on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:25 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What could be interesting, sort of a spin on the first option, would be if we each wrote up character sheets that we'd feel normal playing, and then you rearranged and redistributed them so we each had to write a character someone else had designed. I could see that one being really bad or really, really good.


Probably a mix of both, as some people would be able to adapt to the changes, and others would find their choice incompatible.


Yeah, I don't want to make things so difficult for people that they have trouble adapting, because that'll make writing less fun foor some (although others would be okay with it.)

Perhaps it would be more sensible if the players were to have their character types and roles challenged by SCENARIOS more than their actual character designs. Like, say, through a tough badass into a nursery, or something.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
User avatar
Scarab
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Re: Persona Inspired RP Concept - Your Thoughts?

Postby JackAlsworth on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 am

I'm now envisioning Persona crossed with Kindergarten Cop.
User avatar
JackAlsworth
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 pm
Location: Western Washington State


Return to Roleplaying

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron