Play-By-Post RPG/Discussion, sign-up and rules

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Re: Play-By-Post RPG/Discussion, sign-up and rules

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm

I have arrived. Since I'm too lazy to change my avatar, you instead get the Ordinary Black Magician, Marisa Kirisame. Prepare for beam spam incarnate.

On another note, shouldn't you create a standardized bio format of some sort? Or should I just rip off Sicon's?
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:I have arrived. Since I'm too lazy to change my avatar, you instead get the Ordinary Black Magician, Marisa Kirisame. Prepare for beam spam incarnate.

On another note, shouldn't you create a standardized bio format of some sort? Or should I just rip off Sicon's?

That is the standard. We aren't taking this all that seriously. Also, I already regret calling you...
Last edited by Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:I have arrived. Since I'm too lazy to change my avatar, you instead get the Ordinary Black Magician, Marisa Kirisame. Prepare for beam spam incarnate.

Look on page one, format was established by Lordxana0.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 pm

NeverSlender wrote:Look on page one, format was established by Lordxana0.

Ninja'd.

Also, who is going to create the main thread for this, and when? You guys wanna wait a bit for more players, or just go in a little bit? How are we gonna set this up, anyhow, just some big area where we duke it out?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:Look on page one, format was established by Lordxana0.

Ninja'd.

Also, who is going to create the main thread for this, and when? You guys wanna wait a bit for more players, or just go in a little bit? How are we gonna set this up, anyhow, just some big area where we duke it out?

It was Victin's idea so I say we let him set it up.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 pm

NeverSlender wrote:It was Victin's idea so I say we let him set it up.

Seconded. Well, he isn't here right now, so let's just get some ideas for when he comes back. He suggested either an arena thread or a minor plot based thing. Which do you guys want? I really don't care either way.

If an arena, what should the arena be?

If a plot-based RPG, what should the plot be? Should we just come up with a basic goal for us to meet, and then let Vic choose the plot from their, such as control encounters? That would make it more fun IMO, since we wouldn't know what was going to happen.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:It was Victin's idea so I say we let him set it up.

Seconded. Well, he isn't here right now, so let's just get some ideas for when he comes back. He suggested either an arena thread or a minor plot based thing. Which do you guys want? I really don't care either way.

If an arena, what should the arena be?

If a plot-based RPG, what should the plot be? Should we just come up with a basic goal for us to meet, and then let Vic choose the plot from their, such as control encounters? That would make it more fun IMO, since we wouldn't know what was going to happen.

I would prefer a plot based thread, but that means we need someone to be the GM.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 pm

NeverSlender wrote:I would prefer a plot based thread, but that means we need someone to be the GM.

I don't have preferences, but I assumed Vic was gonna GM, since he made it. If you guys want some GM help or basic rule suggestions, my bro has been forum RPing forever, which is why I brought him in.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Marisa-chan! Will you play with me?

Can we agree on message format?
Char Voice: Italics
Out-Char: Small font size
Descriptions/Mechanics: Normal configurations.
Does that work for you guys?

Also, Plot-based is more fun. Vic's going to GM, I guess.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Marisa-chan! Will you play with me?

Can we agree on message format?
Char Voice: Italics
Out-Char: Small font size
Does that work for you guys?

Also, Plot-based is more fun. Vic's going to GM, I guess.

Please don't use that annoying small font... Half the time I have to copy it to notepad or bring it up in the quote function on-site to make sense of it...
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Lordxana0 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 pm

If Vic would rather play I could GM. I have a long list of experience with it.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm

How about OOC is, in honor of TV Tropes formatting, [[Double bracketed text]]?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Sicon112 wrote:How about OOC is, in honor of TV Tropes formatting, [[Double bracketed text]]?

EDIT: Nvm, just seen your previous post. Works for me.
Last edited by NeverSlender on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:If Vic would rather play I could GM. I have a long list of experience with it.

My bro has, as I have said, forum RPed for years. Hes run a lot of his own threads, and they all sound pretty awesome to me, so he could come up with something as well. I sorta brought him in as a consultant anyhow.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Victin on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Adell wrote:I'll help you guys run this if you'd like/get enough people.

All help is accepted.

Sicon112 wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:I would prefer a plot based thread, but that means we need someone to be the GM.

I don't have preferences, but I assumed Vic was gonna GM, since he made it. If you guys want some GM help or basic rule suggestions, my bro has been forum RPing forever, which is why I brought him in.

I am accepting suggestion. I started this thread exactly for that. And I was going to play, but if I am going to be the GM, I guess it's better not. But if we choose to make a FFA battle kind of RPG, instead of a minor plot oriented one, I think I could play. But either way, I already have some stuff running up in my mind. But either way I don't think I would be a good GM, but I could try.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Adell on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 pm

If you would prefer a neutral party for refereeing I wouldn't mind. I have no intention to actually play a character myself. (My muse must be focused elsewhere)
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Lordxana0 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Victin wrote:
Adell wrote:I'll help you guys run this if you'd like/get enough people.

All help is accepted.

Sicon112 wrote:

I am accepting suggestion. I started this thread exactly for that. And I was going to play, but if I am going to be the GM, I guess it's better not. But if we choose to make a FFA battle kind of RPG, instead of a minor plot oriented one, I think I could play. But either way, I already have some stuff running up in my mind. But either way I don't think I would be a good GM, but I could try.

Well if you want to play as I said tell me your ideas and I will run it so you can have fun and play.
Lordxana0

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Sicon112 wrote:How about OOC is, in honor of TV Tropes formatting, [[Double bracketed text]]?

Character Voice: Italics
Out of Character: [[Double bracketed text]]

Seems good to me. Feedback?
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Lordxana0 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I was thinking basic RP talking
""-Words
he did such and such.-Actions
()-Out of character.
Lordxana0

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Pixelmage wrote:

Character Voice: Italics
Out of Character: [[Double bracketed text]]

Seems good to me. Feedback?

Not sure what you mean by Character Voice... Wouldn't the characters' talking just be in quotes like you are writing normally?

Ninja'd by Xana.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Kthnx.

Name: Marisa Kirisame
Weapons: A miniature magical reactor capable of producing ridiculous amounts of energy for spellcasting, known as a Mini-Hakkero.
Powers: A master of heat and light based magic, and of breaking, entering, and stealing everything that isn't tied down and on fire.
1: Flight. Marisa is capable of unconditionally defying gravity for greatly prolonged periods of time, with very little cost to herself. Although she doesn't require her broom to do so, she prefers to fly on it, stating that it's "Necessary for a magician."
2: Lasers. Marisa is capable of firing gratuitous amounts of lasers through orbs of condensed magical power she summons in formation around herself. These lasers can take four different forms: bullets, which are the weakest, waves, which are slightly stronger and have a wider spread, missiles, which, while slowest, explode on contact, and sustained beams, which, while they can only be fired straight, have maximum penetrating power and do some of the best damage. Marisa can, however, only have up to four orbs, as well as her Mini-Hakkero, to fire from.
3: Love Sign ~ Master Spark. Marisa's trademark attack, consisting of a massive energy release in the form of a giant, rainbow-colored laser beam which may or may not be powered by love, but is most certainly not difficult, ze~. If given more power, it can be used in the form of Magic Sign ~ Final Spark, which is much larger and more destructive, but costs a great deal of power, and can only be used if Marisa is about to be struck by an attack, making it only useful as a last-ditch counterattack.
4: Magic Sign ~ Stardust Reverie. Another trademark attack. This consists of a rapid-fire barrage of magical five-pointed stars, which fire in ridiculous numbers and at a ridiculous rate, then explode for additional destructive delight. Can also be used in the form of Comet Sign ~ Blazing Star, in which Marisa actually fires HERSELF, spewing magic stars around her. Like the Final Spark, this can only be used as an emergency counter.

Also, I think I'd go for the inexplicable inter-dimensional fighting arena plot, although we could also do things SRW style and have each character trying to resolve something from their 'verse. I.E., Marisa would have stolen some magical item from somebody and been teleported to some other world, and is trying to get home, or something, although not necessarily that lame.
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Victin on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Well if you want to play as I said tell me your ideas and I will run it so you can have fun and play.

Based on the TVTropes RPG, the plot-orientation would be related to the GM being, in-universe, a character of great power that gathered people from different universes to play with it's own will. Setting up an objective to the GM would fit the why of why he did that. But I am thinking of a minor plot twist (or not, dependiong on how the story turns out) and who could the GM be. If it's an original character, I have a few ideas.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:19 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Kthnx.

"WallOfText Here"

Also, I think I'd go for the inexplicable inter-dimensional fighting arena plot, although we could also do things SRW style and have each character trying to resolve something from their 'verse. I.E., Marisa would have stolen some magical item from somebody and been teleported to some other world, and is trying to get home, or something, although not necessarily that lame.

Well, gee thanks for showing us all up, bro. Also, why would a giant fighting arena need a plot? And I would rather avoid stuff involving the original 'verses and such, since I forgot most of the tiny Shanaverse details.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm

How can you not understand!? It's SO SIMPLE!

:lol:
[[Above is Alice talking to you]]
I just find it a bit more clean to read without adding " " to the text. If it was italic, it means my character said it.

But, I'll settle for whatever format you guys agree on, so " " is fine too.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Pixelmage wrote:How can you not understand!? It's SO SIMPLE!

:lol:
[[Above is Alice talking to you]]
I just find it a bit more clean to read without adding " " to the text. If it was italic, it means my character said it.

But, I'll settle for whatever format you guys agree on, so " " is fine too.

I don't think I could live without the quote marks. My inner Grammar Nazi would fry my brain.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplaying