God RP (possible future game)

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

God RP (possible future game)

Postby Anura on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:34 pm

So, I've been throwing this around the chat without managing to keep the conversation thread on it. I'm sure we've all been there. In any case, I might as well throw this up to gauge interest, although it's gonna be a while before I can actually do anything.

So. Gods. That's what we are, here. And what we're essentially going to do is forge a mythos all our own, an in-character collaborative worldbuilding project. Sound good?

My main issue is the starting point. Where do our gods come from? Were there others before them? And what state is the world in at the start? Cosmic chaos? A hunk of lifeless rock? Already fully formed and peopled? Things like that. This thread is to plan things out, get some ideas chucked around.
Anura

Re: God RP (possible future game)

Postby Victin on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Since we'll be playing as gods, what will our objectives be, so to speak? Protect and nurture humanity? Fight for our own selfish wills and attempting to gather more followers and power? Or fight against entities powerful enough to match our own power and put the entire universe at stake? Maybe the end of the world is coming, and being the first, no one knows if it's cyclical or not? All of the above?

I ask so I can have an idea of "whens" and "hows", so I can figure out a suggestion.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Anura on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:46 pm

The game is mainly an exercise in worldbuilding. Basically, a big divine sandbox. So our only objective is to see what we come up with, really.
Anura

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu May 01, 2014 2:31 pm

I like this idea. There are zillions of ways it could be set up.

One possibility could be that the GM is the progenitor of the other gods, so that the players can have a sort of general idea of what's expected by the only person higher on the totem pole than they are.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Thu May 01, 2014 4:25 pm

So, I guess I'll begin with... Something. I'm hoping I didn't develop this too far.

Creation Myth wrote:There wasn't. Then, there was nothing. And nothing was something - thus the universe began. The paradoxical existences, made of nothingness and somethingness, blotted the cosmos, casually expanding, shrinking, dissociating, fusing, being born and ceasing to exist altogether. The endless switching back to and fro nonexistence gradually filled the universe with shades and shadows, dancing and singing between the paradoxes. The colorful and the invisible quickly became something new, each single one of them embodying - No, being a being, an entity, and from the colorful entities arose the concepts and ideas, and from the ones that were transparent and blank, arose pure existence. At last, all of creation shone with radiance of all colors and the absense of color, spreading abstractions and existence through the universe.

And that was the creation of the universe. After that, two races could be discerned from the empty noise behind the universe, and a single race could be discerned from the colorful art that was the universe. In order:
  • The Craftsmen: the Creators, Progenitors, Primals, etc. Not much is known about them, except that after the birth of the universe, the created the world and all those who inhabit. After that, it's believed either they faded back to the ether of the universe, they became the world for it was made out of themselves in the first place, or they became the Rulers of the world after there were living beings to not only assign them characteristics and properties through belief, but also for them to become living beings themselves - which they could not be before those were created.
  • The Nobles: the Perfection, Flowers, Narcissistic [expletive], etc. If the Craftsmen were the beautiful new colors that arose from nothing, the Nobles are pure existence that instead of originating concepts and abstractions originated more existence. This singular characteristic resulted in quasi-beings that claim to be the most perfect thing to ever exist, everything else being under them. Therefore, everything else should obey and serve their whims, because they are naturally superior. They have their owns laws and rules, forged to prevent infighting between Nobles. Since they are perfect, such events should not occur, and thus breaking any law is unacceptable: they must follow all of them diligently and unquestionably. The Nobles usually spend their time changing from a form to another (they have none, since they are pure existence), gathering more followers or "followers", practicing hedonistic acts with worldwide consequences and hunting with extreme hatred the lowest of all existence aka the third race.
  • The Destroyers: the paradoxical beings from the beggining. Their nature and apparent behavior is such that nobody is quite sure what they are: if they are rational or simply sport a facade, if they are all part of a hivemind, if there are a few individually named beings, if there are hundreds of thousands of them classified with commom terms, if their destruction of reality is willing or passive but enjoyable, etc. Some examples include: the Mimic|s, that pretend to be something that exists, though are naturally flawed at a core level (e.g.: a cat that is loyal and nice to its owners, a coffee table that you never stub your toe at, a key you can always insert in the lock in the first try, a happiness that never leaves a man or lets him feel sad, a street where turning left takes you right, etc.); the Storyteller|s, that turn reality into fiction, turning people into heroes, heroes who give birth to legends, legends that are in turn forsaken; and the Dreamer|s, that bring impossible elements to the realm of possibility in an attempt to break reality - their presence make turning left take you right, solids behave as if they were liquids, give blind people sight, gods being passible of death, raise the dead from their graves, etc.

After that expository bit, back to the mythos, more specifically to the reason of why are the Craftsmen called Craftsmen:

Creation Myth wrote:After they realized their own and the others existence, they realized they liked it. They wanted more things to exist, and so they made the world. One made the mountains and the land, the other made the sun and the skies, another made the river and the oceans. Each made their own little thing, all adding together into being the world. When they finished, they took a step back. And the world was boring, they claimed. The mountains stood still, the sun too far from the lands' reach, the oceans too deep and vast. Everything worked like clockwork, an everstill picture of their power. The Craftsmen looked at each other, and decided they could do better. They grouped and discussed a plan, and soon they created the first patch for the world: life.

Chaos then reigned in the world. The mountains threw themselves on the ground, and tried to climb the resultant pile in order to be taller and taller. The ocean stood upright, and walked to the land, ravaging it on the process. The sun came down to see what was up and be part of it, and the sky cried and panicked in the corner. Seeing the result of their actions, the Craftsmen pondered on what they should do. Without a second thought, they rained more life in the world, and instantly storms, tsunamis, droughts and earthquakes rose from un-life.

What comes after is somewhat vague. Some say the second generation of beings put the first in order because they had powers over disasters - for they were made of disasters, and were the disasters themselves - but the Craftsmen messed up again a few minutes later. Some say it just got worse, but in the end the Craftsmen managed to work things more or less ok. All that is known is in the end the world was filled with living and non-living beings made by them, in a series of sometimes comical, sometimes dramatical events. One day the population of the world got fed up and gave an ultimatum to the gods: "you broke it, you fix it!" And then, the gods became Rulers of the world.

... And that's mostly it. Besides that, I think it's worthy saying each unique god did their own thing, created their own palaces, artifacts, races, etc., occasionally working towards a common goal, but I made this as generic as I could. I would prefer to avoid Planet of Hats for any and all races that pop up. Even between the Nobles and the Destroyers. Yes, even between them.

narrativedilettante wrote:I like this idea. There are zillions of ways it could be set up.

One possibility could be that the GM is the progenitor of the other gods, so that the players can have a sort of general idea of what's expected by the only person higher on the totem pole than they are.

That's a great idea!
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Anura on Thu May 01, 2014 6:33 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:I like this idea. There are zillions of ways it could be set up.

Like Eru Ilúvatar and the Ainur? That's one way to do it. I've seen a similar RP in the past, actually... I briefly mentioned it in the chat. The players posted in character, as though in constant round-table discussion about what to do with the world. Although I'd prefer it if you guys had your moments to do your own stuff. Still, gets me thinking about stuff.

Victin wrote:snip

Eh... too much backstory for what I'm trying to do. And the presence of an enemy is somewhat antithetical to my concept. Sorry.
Anura

Postby Victin on Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Anura wrote:
Victin wrote:snip

Eh... too much backstory for what I'm trying to do. And the presence of an enemy is somewhat antithetical to my concept. Sorry.

Eh, can't say that was unexpected. As for the latter, you mentioned this would be an exercise in worldbuilding, but didn't mention any specific objective, so I put it there. Besides, as I mentioned it's not so much as any being there wanting to destroy reality. Some just happen to do because of their very nature while the others are just so self-centered everyone else dislikes them. Well, I guess that does make the Nobles the truer enemy, so... *shrugs*

I guess I'm out of suggestions until I see the exact direction you want to take this.
Victin

Postby Anura on Thu May 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Using a list of Cleric Domains from D&D as a guide/inspiration, I've come up with a list of things one could be god of to inspire y'all. Enjoy!

Alignment
Good
Evil
Law
Chaos
Balance

Elemental
Air
Earth
Fire
Water
Cold
Lightning
Metal
Force
Light
Darkness
Celestial

Places
Cavern
City
Ocean
River
Sky
Forest
Mountain
Fields
The Wild
Desert
Afterlife

Things
Life
Death
Undeath
Sun
Moon
Stars
Seasons
Weather
Animals
Plants
Humans, Elves, Dwarves, etc.
Artifice
Wealth
Medicine
Food
Dreams

Actions
Creation
Destruction
Protection
Decay
Domination
Revenge

Traits
Beauty
Courage
Strength
Endurance
Grace
Nobility

Mental
Knowledge
Deception
Wisdom
Madness
Joy
Love
Desire
Hatred
Anger
Fear
Passion
Creativity

Mystic
Magic
Prophecy
Healing
Purity
Renewal
Spirit

Community
Family
Marriage
Children
Home
Hearth
Farming
Harvest
Hunting

Culture
Art
Stories
Music
Games
Revelry
Celebrations
Craft
Language
Writing
Competition
Funerals

War
War
Glory
Combat
Archery
Bloodshed
Strategy
Victory

Misc. Concepts
Fate
Luck
Pacts
Truth
Justice
Mockery
Travel
Nature
Trade
Commerce
Last edited by Anura on Thu May 08, 2014 8:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
Anura

Postby agoraoptera on Sat May 03, 2014 6:53 am

So... we pick one portfolio? Or we grab two-three? Or we make our own... or are our portfolios decided by you? ._.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby Anura on Sat May 03, 2014 7:57 am

It's just ideas, not by any means related to the game itself (yet, at least).
Anura

Postby agoraoptera on Sat May 03, 2014 8:02 am

Then what precisely are we supposed to do now? .-.

(I call dibs on Love, Beauty and Death >_>)

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

agoraoptera

Postby Victin on Sat May 03, 2014 12:52 pm

agoraoptera wrote:Then what precisely are we supposed to do now? .-.

(I call dibs on Love, Beauty and Death >_>)

Oh dangit! :P

Well then, I call dibs on... Darkness, Nothingness and maybe... Something related to creation? I have been having ideas, but until I see how it plays out I can't really decide anything.

For example, I remember Anura mentioned a game like this was playing in a world with no sun, just pink glowing clouds, and there was a moon of darkness that caused night and a moon of light that caused light eclipses. I had an idea where my god would take the power of the sun everyday to fuel his schemes, but would give it back on the morrow, thus creating day/night cycles (of course, since we begin from scratch this wouldn't quite work on this game). I had a few, I think two, other ideas related to day/night + apocalypse, and another with Dark Is Not Evil + Dark Is Evil.
Victin

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Sun May 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I suppose this would be the perfect chance to bring back Yuki the Snow Raven, goddess of random comedy masquerading as a goddess of winter and snow. On the other hand, if I brought Yuki back, I wouldn't really be doing much godly stuff so much as poking my nose into other people's business and ruining their stuff for teh lulz.
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Victin on Mon May 05, 2014 8:33 pm

So, uh… Based on what Anura said about a similar game of his containing a sunless world with flowing pink clouds and two moons, of dark and light, I made up a "sun" for this possible world. Should I share?
Victin

Postby Anura on Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm

As just announced in chat, everyone can reserve a domain in advance. That is the one domain your god is born with, the idea that gave them shape. They can accrue additional ones as the game goes on, but this stops people from grabbing all the good ones immediately.

It doesn't have to be from the list. I reserve the right to say no.

• Shane: Mystery
  • Nara: Hearth
  • Scarab: Stories
  • Agora: Love
Last edited by Anura on Thu May 08, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anura

Postby Anura on Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Probably ought to type up the general outline as well.

Burning at the centre of an infinite void - insomuch as there can be a centre in an infinite space - is a great Divine Fire. This Fire is a self-sustaining substance that constantly radiates a mystical energy into the void around it: Mana. At some point, several flames from the Fire are for some reason spat out; these become the gods. Unlike the great Fire, these lesser Divine Flames are not self-sustaining and must huddle around the Great Fire, absorbing the Mana that comes from it to keep themselves burning.

Eventually, they grow in power and intelligence, and learn that they can use Mana to perform marvellous feats. This eventually leads to the creation of the world, a great Hearth to enshrine the great Fire. As a result, "The Heart of the World" becomes one of the many names for the Fire.

Most likely, sooner or later animate life will come into existence. A discovery will be made: imparting a Divine Spark from the Fire into a body of flesh will make it something like a tiny god, capable of thinking and acting independently. More importantly, the physical form is capable of sustaining a small Spark for long enough for it to generate some Mana of it's own over the course of it's life. This excess Mana can be given to a god, allowing them additional power over what they can get from the Fire (an energy source they've had to share up to this point). In large numbers, mortal worshippers can provide quite the boost in power... and thus influence, both over the world and the other gods.

Practical upshot: Gods Need Mana Badly; Prayer Gives Gods Mana. Gods don't necessarily Need Prayer Badly because there's a Background Magic Field, but it's a valuable dietary supplement. All divine acts are Cast From Hit Points, since for gods MP is HP.
Anura

Postby agoraoptera on Thu May 08, 2014 8:16 am

Domain born with, huh? Well..... may I humbly request Love, then? I'm sure I'll get to pick up Death or Undeath along the way... It's a fascinating hybrid that I'd like to try writing.

Hang on, say gods are born with a social domain, any of the traits for example. Would that necessarily mean that my god in question only came into existence post-sentient life or what? Stuff like Trade, even, or Commerce. Would the god be able to come into existence pre-sentient-races and then introduce said concept to the sentients?

agoraoptera

Postby Anura on Thu May 08, 2014 8:49 am

@agora: The latter. Said concept basically existed pre-civilization in potentia.

Also, I've just expanded the list somewhat. Might want to take another peek.
Anura

Postby Victin on Thu May 08, 2014 9:58 am

I have a bunch of ideas in mind. It's kinda hard to pick one. How much can we affect the world at the beggining of the game, and how?
Victin

Return to Roleplaying