Odds: Tournament RP Discussion

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Odds: Tournament RP Discussion

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat May 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Well, this is odd!

The idea here is an RP that looks like a tournament/fight RP but with a notable difference: all outcomes are determined by a dice roll. Warriors from far and wide come to test their skill in the city of Odds, famed for its reliance on pure chance.

The breakdown, as I see it now, subject to refinement if necessary:
  • Characters can have any (and as many) weapons and powers as you like. There is no such thing as OP.
  • There are no stats on individual character sheets.
  • In a fight post, you can go wild describing what your character's doing, but stop short of when it connects.
  • At the end of the post, you can either:
    1. Roll 1d6 (or ask the GM to roll for you) to determine the damage you deal, or
    2. Save up one turn and at the end of the second turn roll 1d12 (or ask the GM to roll for you) to determine the damage you deal
  • When responding to an attack, you will first roll 1d8 to determine your defense against the preceding attack.
  • If your roll is higher than the damage roll, you evaded the attack! Go wild describing that and then proceed with your own attack.
  • If your roll is lower than the damage roll, roll 2d10 to assess the extent of the damage (in percentage) to your character (i.e., subtract the result of your roll from your character's health percentage, which starts at 100%), then proceed with writing that and your attack.
    • If your roll is equal to the damage roll, roll 1d20 and subtract that value from your character's health.
  • If your character's health percentage dips below 50%, you will roll 1d4 instead of 1d6 to deal damage and 1d6 instead of 1d8 to evade attacks.
  • When your character has no health left (or negative health after taking damage), he/she is dead. Feel free to write this death in as flamboyant manner as you like to end the fight.

So this is basically all about the fun of writing fight scenes, since we have zero control over the outcome. Would people be interested in playing something like this? Is there something fundamentally wrong with my setup?

If people are interested, I'll open a character sheet thread and get this going at some point. Otherwise, I'm just... here.
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun May 04, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Odds: Tournament RP Discussion

Postby Scarab on Sun May 04, 2014 10:47 am

Okay, this absolutely sounds like something I can get behind.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun May 04, 2014 10:53 am

i can get diagonal to it
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Victin on Sun May 04, 2014 11:30 am

I can watch away from the corner.

By the way, what happens if the defense dice is equal in value to the attack dice?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun May 04, 2014 11:34 am

Victin wrote:By the way, what happens if the defense dice is equal in value to the attack dice?

Hmmm. I was trying to weight things toward defense (d8 for defense as opposed to d6 for attack), but if it's equal I don't think it's fair to say it still doesn't connect. Maybe that's a partial connect? And roll 1d20 for damage instead of 2d10 (which is a huge difference, since the 2d10 are essentially multiplied [or one counts for one digit and the other for the other digit, which is functionally the same thing], not added).
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Endless Sea on Sun May 04, 2014 1:44 pm

I can just imagine having Alaki charge up for an ultimate attack and then getting a natural one. "Oh, so it's gonna be one of those days."
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Return to Roleplaying