An Interactive Adventure: Duck!

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

An Interactive Adventure: Duck!

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:56 am

You stand on the bridge as the glowing sunset slowly fades into twilight. The lake the bridge traverses is familiar to you: you grew up here, and have lived here all your life. You have known no other lake but this one. Normally you love the lake, but this evening, all it offers you is a sense of ennui, feeding into the strange melancholy that's been plaguing you all day.

Slowly, you sit down on the edge of the bridge, which conveniently has no railings, and dangle your feet in the water. You can't help it; you smile. Even today, when that restlessness and irritation has been bothering you all day, the feel of water on your feet makes you a little happy. It's like your feet were made for having water on them. Your feet probably were made for having water on them.

Eventually, though, your mind returns to your earlier thoughts, and you stand up again. At least, with that strange melancholy, you have an inexplicable sense that soon things are going to change. Soon, you will no longer live a life of routine, doing the same thing and swimming in the same lake day in and day out. Your feet balanced on the edge of the bridge, you look out into the murky water, and think about what you were planning to do.

Hang on... what were you planning to do?

-----------------

So as is probably evident, I am totally ripping off Soph and Dilly because this looks like all the fun. I have no idea where this is going to go or what kind of choices I'm going to ask you guys to make, but I figure what the heck we will have fun finding out!
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: An Interactive Adventure: Duck!

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:02 am

=> Set out to explore the world and find other lakes.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 am

==> The same thing we plan to do everyday, silly—try to take over the world!
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby JackAlsworth on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:13 am

==> Quickly retrieve arms from under bridge.
JackAlsworth

Postby Krika on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 am

=> Quack with the frogs to greet the oncoming night.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 am

So...
1. "Set out to explore the world and find other lakes."
2. "The same thing we plan to do everyday, silly—try to take over the world!"
3. "Quickly retrieve arms from under bridge."
4. "Quack with the frogs to greet the oncoming night."

1d4 = 3

Oh, right. Those arms that you found under the bridge. They should make for a change of pace. Swiftly, you dive underwater, pausing to admire the bubbles rising from your nose to the surface of the lake. Then you rummage around under the bridge to find the arms.

After discarding the bag of coins, the plastic lilypad, the yellow canoe, and the pasta maker, you emerge to the surface victorious, clutching the arms. You sit on the edge of the bridge again, dangling your feet in the water-- you love it when your feet are in the water-- and examining the arms.

As arms go, they're not bad. They're long where they're supposed to be long, with that elbowy joint in the middle and then the funny bit on the other end where they branch off into a bunch of little bits. On these arms, one branchy-bit-- or "hand"-- branches off into five segments, while the other branches off into six. You count them yourself, feeling very proud of your ability to count to five and six, respectively.

The arms aren't attached to anything, and they smell kind of funny. Whose arms are these, anyway?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Victin on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:43 pm

==> Oh right, silly me. I bought them at the Flesh Salesman of course.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby RussetDivinity on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:44 pm

They're from the duck hunter who mysteriously vanished
Jubilation and despair are two sides of the same coin.
RussetDivinity

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 pm

=> They're my family's arms, passed down from generation to generation.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:52 pm

==> I found them wrapped in a coat, which I hid under the bridge as well, lovingly calling it "the coat of arms".
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby JackAlsworth on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:55 pm

==> I'd heard of my right to keep and bear arms a few years ago, and I decided to exercise it. I don't imagine the bear was too happy, but I think it was worth it.
JackAlsworth

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:57 pm

==> You got them from your friendly neighborhood arms master.

(MORE PUNS FOR THE PUN GOD! :twisted: )
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Krika on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:16 pm

=> They're relics from the time you spent in the army. It would be a shame for them to get damaged, somehow. Put them somewhere safe.
Krika
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 am

1. Oh right, silly me. I bought them at the Flesh Salesman of course.
2. They're from the duck hunter who mysteriously vanished
3. They're my family's arms, passed down from generation to generation.
4. I found them wrapped in a coat, which I hid under the bridge as well, lovingly calling it "the coat of arms".
5. I'd heard of my right to keep and bear arms a few years ago, and I decided to exercise it. I don't imagine the bear was too happy, but I think it was worth it.
6. You got them from your friendly neighborhood arms master.
7. They're relics from the time you spent in the army. It would be a shame for them to get damaged, somehow. Put them somewhere safe.

Online 1d7 (because I don't have a d7) = 2.

Oh, right. The duck hunter's arms. You miss that guy. He was kind of cute, in a what-kind-of-monster-hunts-ducks-anyway kind of way. You wonder briefly what happened to him, before deciding that the important thing is he bequeathed you his arms before he went. They are pretty cool arms.

You strut up and down the bridge waving the arms around, playing pretend with yourself that you are the duck hunter who formerly bore these arms. After a while, the game makes you feel sick. What are you trying to prove? Don't answer that.

The malaise returns, and you lie flat on your back on the bridge, loosely holding the arms, staring up at the night sky. Two of the stars look totally fake, like they were just painted on, and you take the time to speculate whether your entire sky that you have known all your life is nothing but a painted backdrop, for some grand existentialist drama that is beyond you. Or maybe you're just getting sleep-deprived with all this melancholiness and have started to imagine that some of the stars are fake.

Before you drive yourself completely insane with this line of thought and are good for nothing but duck hunters, if that guy ever returns to get his arms, you decide to get a move on with what you were thinking about doing with these arms (after all, better hurry in case he wants them back). What do you want to do with these arms?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:55 am

==> Stick the arms into the ground 5 feet away from each other, stand between them and explode with the power of a thousand suns, like you do every Thursday.
Dryunya

Postby Victin on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:12 am

==> Give them a proper burial, since the duck hunter's body mysteriously vanished, at least his lifeless arms should be treated with due respect.
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:49 am

=> Use them to signal a passing plane to land in the lake.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby RussetDivinity on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Paint faces on the hands and make them your new best friends, Handy and Armistice
RussetDivinity

Postby Sophira on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:08 pm

If the duck hunter bequeathed these arms to us, we must not use them in vain.

== Go on an adventure. Our mission: To locate the family of the duck-hunter and proudly present them with the duck hunter's arms.
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:56 am

1. Stick the arms into the ground 5 feet away from each other, stand between them and explode with the power of a thousand suns, like you do every Thursday.
2. Give them a proper burial, since the duck hunter's body mysteriously vanished, at least his lifeless arms should be treated with due respect.
3. Use them to signal a passing plane to land in the lake.
4. Paint faces on the hands and make them your new best friends, Handy and Armistice
5. Go on an adventure. Our mission: To locate the family of the duck-hunter and proudly present them with the duck hunter's arms.

Online 1d5 = 3.

Ah, yes. You knew this day would come-- this hour. All day, as your melancholy and malaise was building, you were slowly forming a plan to interrupt the uniformity, the monotony, the dullness of your days at this lake. At last you have the duck-hunter's arms, and night has fallen, and nothing now can stand in your way, or prevent you from, at last, making things more interesting around here.

You examine the arms once more: yes, they are indeed still luminous from the glow-in-the-dark powder the duck-hunter routinely covered them in, the better to attract and lure ducks close. You grin to yourself; you like that neon glow-in-the-dark yellow that's shining off the arms now, almost as much as you like dangling your feet in the water. The only thing better that you can imagine would be dangling your feet in the water while admiring the glow-in-the-dark powder on the arms...

But no. You quickly come down hard on that thought. You can dangle your feet in the water later; right now, you have a job to do. Holding the arms as high aloft above your head as you can, you run back and forth along the length of the bridge, waving the luminous arms frantically. You race down to the foot of the bridge, then charge across to the other side. Back. Again. Back. Again. Surely there must be an airplane somewhere close, getting curious about your signal. Surely it should be coming to land in the lake soon. You run to the other edge of the bridge again. You run back. You run forward. You run backward.

Finally you give up, collapsing breathless halfway across the bridge. Despite your apparent lack of success, you decide to reward your exhausting efforts by allowing yourself to dangle your feet in the water. Just as you are starting to grin helplessly at the squelchy feel of water on your feet and pretty sight of glow-in-the-dark arms, you hear the noise of someone or something approaching, and look up eagerly.

Who/what is there?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:59 am

The legendary Wereduck.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Krika on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:10 am

=> A particularly fetching duck of the opposite gender to you.

(I don't know if our character has an established gender or not)
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Dryunya on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:02 pm

==> Baralgnur, Eater of Dimensions.
Dryunya

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:03 pm

=> Just a normal passerby.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby RussetDivinity on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:05 pm

The duck hunter's brother, out for revenge.
RussetDivinity

Next

Return to Roleplaying