Dawn of Worlds - Let's Play God

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Dawn of Worlds - Let's Play God

Postby Anura on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Yeah, it's about time I got around to doing this. I'll be using this ruleset, with a few tweaks:

• Points will be assigned to everyone by me at the start of each round. I'll be using 4d3 instead of 2d6 for this to even out the power levels, and also raise the average slightly.
  • No turn order. Everyone still gets one turn per round, but they can make that turn when they're ready. That said there will be some kind of deadline before the game moves on to the next round without you. If you miss a round, the points you got for it will be reduced to 4, the minimum possible roll.
  • Creation of biomes and vegetation such as forests, deserts and grassland will be done using the "Shape Climate" power rather than "Shape Land". The latter is solely for geological features such as mountains, rivers, valleys etc.
  • Particularly strange races cost double the usual number of points to create, at my discretion.

As for whether we're playing particular gods, like a god of oceans or trees... we can figure that out before the game starts. I'm currently leaning towards picking up a portfolio as the game progresses, but maybe you'd prefer to start with one? It doesn't confer any mechanical bonuses, it'd just be for flavour. Otherwise, character sheets won;t even be necessary; the identity of your god will piece itself together along with the world, and they might even remain nameless until mortals are made and call them something.

In any case, I'm thinking of making two threads for this (in addition to this one, which would remain the OOC thread): one which contains the turn-by-turn play, including both the raw numbers and a general overview of the developing lore, and one for stories set in the world we're building which would flesh out the place with more detail. Good idea?
Anura

Re: Dawn of Worlds - Let's Play God

Postby Victin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Hmmm... Sounds interesting, though I'd like to reserve my decision to whether or not I want to play it to another moment, maybe later this week or in the next one. I've got exams and other assignments at school. Also, I'm about to go to sleep :P
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:30 pm

I like the sound of this. :D
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Anura on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Well, I'd need at least an idea of how many people would play before I go further. Things like the size of the map would need to be sorted out.
Anura

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 am

Sounds like lots of fun! I'm game.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Anura on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:19 am

OK... 4 isn't as many players as I'd hoped, but it'll work out fine. Let's say it goes live on, say, the 1st? That seems like a fitting date for the sawn of a new world, and gives some time for more people to express interest.

This is the map I plan to use, with the orange square representing the 1" area for certain powers:

Anura

Postby Victin on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:03 pm

I think you forgot something. Also I'll read the rules over the course of this week and see if any question pops up in my mind.

About the 1st, I know I have an appointment at the dentist, but I don't think that makes any difference, unless you want us all to be online at the same time for something.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:01 am

Would you be planning on utilizing this as an RP later on?
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Guyshane on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:06 am

I may be game
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Anura on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:37 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:Would you be planning on utilizing this as an RP later on?

No, I just wanted to see what we come up with.
Anura

Postby Victin on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:45 pm

I have a few questions:.
  • Can the gods work together, in the sense of spending points together towards the same goal? For example, I have 3 points, and another god has 7. We join forces to cause a Catastrophe that costs 10.
  • What if I want to overload a single use of power? For example, a Catastrophe that costs 15? (Well, probably I would just spend points towards the same power twice, but I think it's worth asking)
... Despite both my questions involving the example of the Catastrophe Power, I'm not planning on using it at the moment :P In fact, I'm planning on possibly working alongside you, so we can share mutual benefits.
Victin

Postby Anura on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:22 pm

The rules say that it's possible for gods to join powers for creating races, but not for anything else. It's really the only thing you'd ever realistically need it for; you're getting 8 power per turn on average due to the dice tweak, in addition to what you've saved up or your cumulative low power bonus, and nothing else goes over 10 except Create Subrace in the first age.

And no, you can't overcharge powers, although you can use as many powers per turn as you have power for.
Anura

Postby Anura on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Game's up. I'm sure it's still the first for at least some of you. :?

Anyway, I'm going to need confirmation on Victin and Shane playing. If not, I'll remove you from the list.
Anura

Postby Victin on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Oh, me? Yes, I'm playing. What should I do now?
Victin

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:51 pm

wait i thought i had signed up :(
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Anura on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:55 pm

I thought you just asked a question. And that my answer had dissuaded you from playing.

Easily fixed. :roll:
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Are we taking turns in alphabetical order, then?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Anura on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:57 pm

There's no turn order. You post whenever you want, as long as it's before the deadline. That's one of the rule tweaks I put in the OP to this thread.
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:26 pm

In that case, this god has performed his first act.
Endless Sea

Postby Victin on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Hmmm... Endless, when you mentioned the "L-shaped mini continent on the bottom left", did you mean "bottom right" or did you mean "peninsula"? Because I'd fine using either one or the other, I think.

EDIT: This means I'm calling dibs on the one you didn't use, by the way :P
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:55 am

Whoops, I meant bottom-right. :P
Endless Sea

Postby Anura on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:33 am

I'm having a little trouble finding ways to edit the map. MS paint isn't very conductive to making it look nice. A long time ago I was considering using Hexographer in conjunction with this, though that would require converting the map into a hex map. Does anyone else have some suggestions?
Anura

Postby Victin on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Eh, as long as it's easy to tell what's going on, MSPaint or another image editor should suffice. Maybe try Paint.Net if MSPaint isn't cutting it for you.
Victin

Postby Anura on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Also, Narra...

that portion where the main landmass narrows.

I don't know which part of the map you mean. If you mean the section about a third of the way down, there's no way one use of a power will be enough for that; one use of shape land or shape climate should cover an area roughly equivalent to that orange square.
Anura

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:05 pm

That is the section I mean. My intention was to put the mountains right in the middle, between the coasts.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Next

Return to Roleplaying