Dawn of Worlds - Game Thread

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Dawn of Worlds - Game Thread

Postby Anura on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Current Map:
First Age, Year 1500

Previous Maps:
First Age, Year 0
First Age, Year 500
First Age, Year 1000

Current Scores:
    ☐Anura: 3 (has an avatar)
    ☐Victin: 12
    ☐Endless: 1 (has an avatar)
    ☐narra: 4
    ☐eli: 4 (has an avatar)

Round 5
Deadline: Tuesday 6th October, midnight UTC.
Last edited by Anura on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Anura

Re: Dawn of Worlds - Game Thread

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:23 pm

And now for stage one of my master plan!

I expend all ten of my action points to mess with that one L-shaped mini-continent in the bottom right. Six points go into shaping the world itself, surrounding the landmass with treacherous currents and raising its borders far above sea level, with its only beaches guarded by the most violent and dangerous of the newly-enraged waters. Four points go into altering the climate, further enshrouding the landmass within perpetual storms while keeping the land itself tropical and habitable for flora and fauna alike.

The skies rumble. The wind screams. The ocean writhes. The rocks reach for the sun.

The Seakeeper has left his mark.

Remaining AP: 0.
Last edited by Endless Sea on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:49 am

For stage one, the God of Thieves and War will spend three points creating a deep harbor on the largest island. The God will also spend another three points causing the area to become a heavily forested mountain range. The God will also spend two points to create a temperate rainforest in the mountains.

Points Spent: 8
Points Remaining: 1
eli_gone_crazy

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:12 am

I will spend three of my points to create a mountain range in that portion where the main landmass narrows.

The other three points I will save for now.

So says the god of the underworld, master of death and rebirth.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 pm

"Tee-hee~ This is gonna be fun!"

A flick of his wrist, a snap of his fingers, and the god made earth tremble and rumble. A streak of water gushed inland from the ocean, flooding a canal that had just opened. The raging sea rushed in, trampling the barren soil of a newborn world, shifting stones from where they laid. Soon the hole excavated onto the earth wasn't enough to quench the sea's fury, and more and more land slid into the ocean. A new island was created in the world, the isthmus that connected it to its motherly continent swallowed completely by the primordial sea.

"Just perfect. Now, to make it a tad more lively," the god ordered life to bloom, and soon the first plants sprouted. They grew and grew more, to a massive size. A great variety of tropical flora permeated the landscape, coloring green the once barren world.

----
3 points to turn the peninsula on the bottom left into an island.
2 points to turn the newly created island into a thick jungle.

3 points left unspent.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Anura on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

In the northeast tip of the main landmass, the ground trembled with great fury. A single mountain, the biggest yet seen on this young world, rose up to touch the very heavens. The god responsible had willed the very life of the world into it's structure, such that the earth's blood still ran through it; the wounds left in the altered landscape made that blood spill forth onto the land around, burning everything and leaving it barren. It would take a tough breed of plant to grow in such a place. The great mountain eventually sealed up it's own wound, though the scar would never fade.

"Hm. Not bad for a first piece, I suppose." muttered the god. "Creation, destruction, and fire. It bespeaks me perfectly, yet it seems to miss a certain... something." He shook his head. "I suppose I have plenty of time to hone the craft."

----
3 points spent to create a gigantic volcano in the upper-right corner of the map.
6 points (2*3) spent to turn the surrounding area into desert.

0 points remain.
Anura

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Map Updated:

New Scores:
    Anura: 0 + 8 (roll) + 1 (bonus) = 9
    Victin: 3 + 10 (roll) + 1 (bonus) = 14
    Endless: 0 + 10 (roll) + 1 (bonus) = 11
    narra: 3 + 7 (roll) + 1 (bonus) = 11
    eli: 1 + 4 (roll) + 1 (bonus) = 6

Round 2 begins. Next deadline: September 15th.

Now unfolds Years 500-1000...
Last edited by Anura on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Commencing step two of my master plan!

I expend nine of my points on shaping the land of the southeastern island again. The lower section of the non-mountainous region is molded into pretty much the best possible land for a healthy ecosystem to thrive in, while the part next to the shore is riddled by quakes, folding the land into bizarre shapes and creases with little regard for physics and nature. The mountains are filled with precious metals and resources.

Whoever gets their hands on this island is gonna have some crazy stuff to work with. =D

Remaining AP: 2. Presumably. I've been doing a lot of stuff these past couple turns, feel free to take away more points as you see fit if I ended up overstepping myself at some point.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:10 am

With a mighty CRACK, a rock in my mountain range splits open, releasing a torrent of water to fall in a great, steep drop down to the ground below. where it forms a wide and gentle river. The river meanders southeast from the mountains, roughly parallel to the coastline, until it turns and runs into the ocean.

Alongside the river, a forest begins to grow, tall green trees lining the banks on either side.

If I've calculated this right, then the waterfall is included in one square inch along with the first bit of the river, taking three points, and the river continues for another inch for a total of six points. Turning the area alongside the river into forest takes two points for each square inch, so four points in total.

So from my 11 points to start the round, I've used 10, leaving me with 1 point left over for the next round.

(Anura if you require clarification or think I've figured something incorrectly just let me know.)
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

From his etherial existence, the god watched as the proto-lifeforms from his island developed through the ages. From the very first land dwellers, stepping around primitive plants, to the beasts that now lived among the tall yet young trees. They would have their time to grow, eventually...

"Perhaps... perhaps I should also expand my dominion as well."

With a commanding word, the sunken earth rose suddenly from its watery grave, an ironic, mirrored reprisal from when the god allowed the ocean to claim what was land. For the god, it was done within instants. For the creatures in his land, it was a process that took generations to complete. He wondered the afterimpact there would have been had the earth risen all at once, from where once was sea. As it was done, the gradual process also turned the land from a sand and salt waste into an extension of the verdant jungle. His island was now twice as big as it was before, and many times more populous.

----
6 points to increase the size of the jungle island to the West.
4 points to then turn that terrain into a jungle.

4 points left unspent.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:07 pm

"I suppose that creation should follow destruction."

The vapour constantly released by the active volcano condensed on the mountaintop, flowing down it's sides; over the course of centuries, a steady path was cut through the rocks though the blasted landscape towards the sea. Each year, the constant outputs would be momentarily supplemented by rain from seasonal winds, flooding the river, and leaving behind a layer of minerals in it's wake that could support plant life. Not anything as large as a tree, but species of bushes adapted to a yearly intake of new food and long periods of starvation between.

"But destruction ever threatens to follow in turn."

An oasis in the desert it may have been, but it was in the shadow of an active volcano.

"But what else?" the Great Artist pondered.

(3 points to create a river flowing from the volcano to the ocean)
(2 points to turn the riverside into an oasis)
(5 points remain)
Anura

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Map Updated:

New Scores:
    Anura: 5 + 6 (roll) + 2 (bonus) = 13
    Victin: 4 + 11 (roll :o ) + 2 (bonus) = 17
    Endless: 4 + 7 (roll) + 2 (bonus) = 13
    narra: 1 + 5 (roll) + 2 (bonus) = 8
    eli: 6 + 9 (roll) = 15

Round 3 begins. Next deadline: September 22nd.

Now unfolds Years 1000-1500...
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:07 pm

I expend four points to create storms and eternal snow across the northwestern portion of the mainland, three points to create a lake of freshwater in the center of the southeastern island, three to put a volcano on the island between eli's island and the mainland, and my last three to double the size of narra's mountain range.

At this point I'm just derping around, yeah.

Remaining AP: 0
Endless Sea

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:52 am

The god of war and death will spend 10 points to create an immortal, invincible avatar to roam the main island. The god will also spend two points to create a desert spanning the middle of the main island, just south of the mountains. The god will further spend two more points to create a rainforest in the northwestern peninsula of the main island. So the god spoke, so it shall be.

10 points on avatar
2 on shape climate
2 on shape climate

total points remaining: 1
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:58 am

(I'm not feeling the writing today.)

My god creates an avatar.

3 points remain.
Anura

Postby Victin on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:30 pm

During the next few centuries, instead of massive changes to the landscape of his domain, the god simply oversaw how the fauna and flora developed, making sure the island would be according to his own will when the time came. After the island doubled in size in the past, it seemed as if all living beings on the island had also grown. The sun barely reached the dirt through the foliage that hung many meters above ground. Giant apes swung on the vines that covered the trees, and giant fish swum the waters around the island, not to speak of the roaming predators that dwarfed each species they preyed upon, on land, at sea or in the sky. Under the god's reign, life in his domain was a championship in which only the mighty would survive.

"Grow, my children, grow. There are still many centuries ahead of you."

----
8 points to manipulate the jungle's life forms in order to cause "island gigantism".

9 points left unspent.
Victin

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Map updated:

New scores:
  • Anura: 3 + 8 (roll) + 3 (bonus) = 14
  • Victin: 9 + 3 (roll) = 12
  • Endless: 0 + 11 (roll :o ) + 3 (bonus) = 14
  • narra: 8 + 8 (roll) = 16
  • eli: 1 + 3 (roll) + 1 (bonus) = 4

Round 4 begins. Next deadline: September 29th.

Now unfolds years 1500-2000...
Last edited by Anura on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Eh, screw it. I'll make an avatar too. Just drop him on the southeastern bit like I've been putting everything else on.

Also, maybe a couple mountains in the area where I chucked the snowstorms last time.

Remaining AP: 1.
Endless Sea

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:54 am

As years pass and tectonic forces push the ground to form new shapes, the mountain range in the narrow part of the landmass expands, stretching northwest to meet the ocean.

Wind patterns change with this new topology. The mountains become subject to harsh cold in the winters and little warmth even in the height of summer. The snow that falls there never melts, leaving them permanently icy.

Yet, even in this harsh place, warmth arises. Nestled in the corner of the mountain range, a hot spring bubbles out of the earth, water spreading across the ground until it forms a lake, perpetually steaming right next to the endless frost of the mountains.

So that's three points for more mountains, three points for the hot spring/lake, and six (two x three) points to make the mountains snowy. Twelve points total, leaving me with four to carry over into the next round.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 am

The Avatar, a mighty dragon born from the heart of the mountain, receives a divine inspiration to create in turn. Unleashing it's own inner fire on the boulders on the side of the mountain, and infusing them with a shard of divinity, it creates the first dragon eggs. Over the centuries these eggs hatch and the newborn dragons grow to adulthood, though their slow rate of reproduction keeps their numbers low.

The god creates space for them to one day inhabit by destroying the land to the west, expanding the desert, and creating a mountainous region for them to nest in.

----
Command Avatar to Create Race(dragons): 2
Shape Climate x 3: 6
Shape Land: 3

Points remaining: 3
Anura

Postby Anura on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Placeholder.

I'll update the map and scores tomorrow.
Anura

Return to Roleplaying