Chain Wars Discussion

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Re: Chain Wars Discussion

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Adell wrote:I tried my hand at it as well

I like how you made the face less creepy. :)
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:39 pm

I like them both *runs away*
eli_gone_crazy

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 am

Revised version. I added a lot more to its back and was able to add ears. Which do you like better?

Cheshire Cat 2.jpg
Cheshire Cat 2.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 am

There's something about ears that make faces instantly less-creepy. I like it. ^_^
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:31 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:There's something about ears that make faces instantly less-creepy. I like it. ^_^

Yeah, I mean - does Slenderman have ears? No. Thus, creepy. Science proven.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Scarab on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:There's something about ears that make faces instantly less-creepy. I like it. ^_^

Yeah, I mean - does Slenderman have ears? No. Thus, creepy. Science proven.

This might also explain why so many people would agree that it's cute to create characters with an assortment of animal ears, in particular cats and dogs.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Thing is, is it good that Chess is less creepy now? You know, considering that it's supposed to be insane.
IslaKariese

Postby Lordxana0 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:51 pm

It has been about nine days since anyone posted. Just an update.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Scarab on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:It has been about nine days since anyone posted. Just an update.

I can provide you with some exposition, but thats about it

C'mon guys, hop to it, I haven't even had the chance to explode Akahana's brain yet :P
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Guyshane on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Scarab wrote:
Lordxana0 wrote:It has been about nine days since anyone posted. Just an update.

C'mon guys, hop to it, I haven't even had the chance to explode Akahana's brain yet :P

Well you could heal Shane since you know he's just kind of there, bleeding out while Alice is busy hugging Asterus
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Scarab on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Guyshane wrote:
Scarab wrote:

Well you could heal Shane since you know he's just kind of there, bleeding out while Alice is busy hugging Asterus

...Fudge it. Hang on, gimme a second.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Scarab wrote:Well you could heal Shane since you know he's just kind of there, bleeding out while Alice is busy hugging Asterus

...Fudge it. Hang on, gimme a second.

Right, there you go.

I have also, with any luck (if you guys have the intuition of wonderlanders, and I'm not a TERRIBLE explainer), come up with a way to break the shield. No I have no idea how the lake water is going to work but I'm sure you guys can think of something.

Akahana is probably gonna be in a bit of pain after this, but probably still functioning. Depends how much she just had to heal. Just don't expect a lot of help in bringing down the shield over the school, if that's the goal here.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Aaaand at the risk of having three posts one after the other...

I figure the nine day wait was caused by a complete lack of a solid goal for our characters. Nobody knew where they were going or what they were doing after their introduction, so it just teetered off. We should really discuss exactly WHAT the characters are aiming for and what steps they will take from now on.

I'd advise the first stage of that plan to be: bring down the wall surrounding the school and find some way to escape. There's then the potential for a stop-and-refuel and character building before the enemies catch us up again. And then Xana will probably be planning to step in and give us a new goal.

Basically, Xana, we could use somewhere to you know, HIDE once we have an escape route sorted :P
Scarab

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 am

I thought the goal was fairly obvious. An unknown factor has presented itself in front of Alice and released a steady stream of energy any Underlander could pick up on. I figured players would know to get over to her and figure out what is going on before their entire purpose in being on Earth was captured or destroyed.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby agoraoptera on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:06 am

I'm not posting because my Cat isn't gonna reveal yet, not at least until everyone gets there. So, yar.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby IslaKariese on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I'll post soon, I just need to get my Monday from Hell over with...
IslaKariese

Postby IslaKariese on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 pm

An unexpectedly legitimate drawing I made of Lorelei in class today:

Cheshire Lorelei.jpg
Cheshire Lorelei.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 5534 times

I stunned myself. I can't draw people, yet I managed a very good rep of what I imagine Lori to look like. I'm still speechless.
IslaKariese

Postby Victin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:48 pm

I said in the chatroom and I repeat: should I be scared or amazed?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby IslaKariese on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Victin wrote:I said in the chatroom and I repeat: should I be scared or amazed?

Whatever you wanna be. This wallflower's plenty intimidating even without Chess' influence, when she wants to be.
IslaKariese

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm pretty sure anyone holding a sword like that doesn't need anything else to look intimidating.
JackAlsworth

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah, I agree with Jack on this one, although that might just be Higurashi talking...

SEE THE RESEMBLANCE?
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby IslaKariese on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Yes, I see the resemblance. Though I can't really say why having her hold her rapier like that is so intimidating. I thought you were all more creeped out by the ears, tail, Cat-like smile, and/or pupil-less eyes. What makes the sword so special?
IslaKariese

Postby JackAlsworth on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 am

There's a difference betweem "creeped out" and "intimidated". The things you mentioned contribute to the uneasiness generated by the Uncanny Valley effect (she's just barely not-human enough to be inherently disconcerting), but the sword? In the picture at least, it looks like a four-foot-long sharpened metal spike. And she's so... cavalier with it. I would not want to come face-to-face with that thing in a dark alley.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, her face conveys "oh eek, get it away from me," and the sword conveys, "please don't hurt me!" Two different types of fear.
JackAlsworth

Postby IslaKariese on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am

Hm. Fair enough. Any suggestions on improving her look? Not that I'll be able to repeat this amazing feat of actually managing to draw a character correctly, but knowledge is power.
IslaKariese

Postby JackAlsworth on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 am

Honestly, all of the things I can think to suggest are detail nitpicks. It's a really solid core concept. I'd argue that the ears and tail make her look more like a fox than a cat, but I'm unsure how to adjust them (and contextually, it almost makes more sense ;) ). Great drawing!
JackAlsworth

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplaying