Dungeons and Dragons campaign

Be a knight in shining armor, a troll under a bridge, a helium-seller in a steampunk world...whoever you want to be.

Dungeons and Dragons campaign

Postby Krika on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm

I am interested in trying to run a D&D campaign over the forum, based on a campaign that I tried to run a live-session for (but fell apart almost immediately). The edition is 4th, and my base assumption is that I will have to teach everybody who joins the rules. Which is cool, because the base rules are found here, online, for free! (Don't worry about reading and memorizing, I can teach as stuff comes up, though the PDF is awesome for reference)

Anyway, I'm looking for 4, maybe 5 people to join onto the bandwagon. Likely this won't get started in full until after the ARG ends, but this is me looking for any interest.

So........thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Re: Dungeons and Dragons campaign

Postby Victin on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Good idea.

No comments so far.

I'll try to read the rules ASAP because I want to join in.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Sounds interesting. Haven't really played much D&D, apart from the last quarter or so of one of my friends' sessions (wherein I ended up training an army of giants as paladins which I then proceeded to lead into battle against swarms of demons led by my personal recurring boss in the form of an undead emperor-mage-warrior-dude-?), but if I find out how to use livestreaming and stuff, sure, I'll join. If I have time, that is.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Tohrinha on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 pm

I'd be interested in this.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I know some D&D... Not really the 4th edition... Well, I might try to join but I can't really decide that now... Any starting date and game session frequency in mind?

Or will it be forum style ongoing as we come online to post? xD
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Guyshane on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm

I will volunteer
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe we could work through the chat. All we really need to do is converse, right? We can share character sheets online if we have to, but otherwise, I think most of our communication would be verbal. Krika, what do you think?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 pm

I might be interested in joining, depending on how much time I have available and a few other factors. I'll be able to say more when I know more.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Krika on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Forum-style ongoing. Like the RPs on here, posting on the forums. I'm not going to try and live-stream this, since it would negate the reasons I feel confident about being able to run this - mainly that I'm not stuck here, so if something comes up I can step away, and that I don't have to come up with stuff on the spot (which is tricky for me to do as much as I'd have to). Of course, non-combat stuff may go by quickly regardless, but I still have a slight aversion to doing live (or live-esque) sessions.

Which isn't to say that the chat wouldn't work for doing stuff in pseudo-real-time, but it would all go through the forums, inevitably.
Krika
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby SOHCAHTOA on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm

I'd say count me in, but I'm gonna travel a lot this month. Maybe, depending on when the rpg start I might be able to join. I'm also a little apprehensive about using the forth edition because of what everyone's been saying about it, but you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Thoughts: A lot of people like your idea. More than five. Of course, most of us are not sure whether or not we'll be able to join, including me.

Comments: Sounds like a great idea. I assume you have already played D&D 4th edition before as a GM? You're gonna be the GM right?

Concerns: How will the dice-rolling part of the game work online? Are you actually going to impose a limit on the number of players?
I'm back, not that anyone cares.
SOHCAHTOA

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm

SOHCAHTOA wrote:How will the dice-rolling part of the game work online?

There are loads of random number generators we could use.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby SOHCAHTOA on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

But usually, when playing D&D, each player rolls dices for their own characters. Since we could lie, I assume the GM is gonna roll dices for us all. Or is there some way to guarantee we won't lie about our dice rolls? Also, I'm not saying this because I don't trust you guys. It's just a general precaution, that's all. Not to mention, desperate situations require desperate measures. I myself, when near death would probably resort to lying about the dice.
SOHCAHTOA

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, I'm probably game. We shall see if it fits my schedule when it starts, but I should hopefully be able to play if I decide to. And of course I would memorize all of the rules. Then probably start abusing them... So... yeah.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Sounds like fun. I've never played DnD, but I have played dice-based forum RPs, so this should probably be similar. I also have plenty of characters I could probably adapt to serve the purpose.

WARNING: SICON IS VERY MUCH A MUNCHKIN. Me, I'm more of a Loonie, in case you hadn't guessed...
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Me, I'm more of a Loonie, in case you hadn't guessed...

If you're a Loonie, can I be a Twonie? (It's Canadian money, folks. There's a loon on a 1-dollar coin, so they're called Loonies. So two-dollar coins are called Toonies, or Twonies.)

Anyway, I don't think I should play this. Obsessive personality and all. I'll just drool from the sidelines.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Krika on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 pm

SOHCAHTOA wrote:But usually, when playing D&D, each player rolls dices for their own characters. Since we could lie, I assume the GM is gonna roll dices for us all. Or is there some way to guarantee we won't lie about our dice rolls? Also, I'm not saying this because I don't trust you guys. It's just a general precaution, that's all. Not to mention, desperate situations require desperate measures. I myself, when near death would probably resort to lying about the dice.

Ah-ha! Thanks to another PbP game that I was part of, there is a solution. Kinda. http://invisiblecastle.com/. Go here, roll your dice, include the link to the roll in your post. So, for instance, I just rolled a 16!. And yes, you can cheat and just roll until you get something you like. But there's really only one way that I can stop such things, and that involves moving onto a different forum entirely (Myth-Weavers, if anyone cares).

So, I'm going to trust that my players won't do this. And honestly, I don't get why you would want to. If you're going to cheat, what's the point of rolling dice in the first place? The point is that you don't have control over what will happen.
Last edited by Krika on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:51 pm

I usually just go with the flow in tabletop RPG stuff. I've been practicing my munchkin skillz in the coffee room, though, so no telling what I'll be bringing to the table this time.
Endless Sea

Postby Krika on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Well, I'm probably game. We shall see if it fits my schedule when it starts, but I should hopefully be able to play if I decide to. And of course I would memorize all of the rules. Then probably start abusing them... So... yeah.

Please. I have hung out on the explicit Character optimization boards for 4th edition. (And contributed, a little. And written a handbook!) I already know the abuses. And the break-points.

Just letting you know. I want to keep everybody's power about the same, and if one person ends up with a character that is too powerful, then the balance between party members will get tipped. Which isn't really a good thing (not discouraging optimization, but it's a slippery slope).

Although I was planning on building the mechanics of the characters (around the ideas that you have for them), and least for level 1, since I have all the tools and resources to do that. (Also, so I can make sure that a couple house-rules things are properly done. Don't worry, you guys will take over them from there. I just want to make sure that you guys have a solid base to start from)
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Krika wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Well, I'm probably game. We shall see if it fits my schedule when it starts, but I should hopefully be able to play if I decide to. And of course I would memorize all of the rules. Then probably start abusing them... So... yeah.

Please. I have hung out on the explicit Character optimization boards for 4th edition. (And contributed, a little. And written a handbook!) I already know the abuses. And the break-points.

Just letting you know. I want to keep everybody's power about the same, and if one person ends up with a character that is too powerful, then the balance between party members will get tipped. Which isn't really a good thing (not discouraging optimization, but it's a slippery slope).

Although I was planning on building the mechanics of the characters (around the ideas that you have for them), and least for level 1, since I have all the tools and resources to do that.

Krika, my philosophy is that power is merely one pillar of success. It's nice, and a short way to get from point A to point B, but it isn't all important. I am not kidding when I say I will literally MEMORIZE every single rule on that list if I play, and just for good measure I will have a tab with it open at all times. It won't be that I'm more powerful than anyone, since I am a rather balanced munchkin. I optimize, but I don't take it REALLY seriously. I base the build on something I like, and then optimize from there. So, no worries there.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Adell on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:03 pm

I use to play pathfinder, and I kind of know some of the rules of 4th edition (though would still need to be taught most of em). It seems like you have plenty of volunteers already, but I'll give it a try if you need people. I use to love playing these kinds of games :3
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby SOHCAHTOA on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Krika wrote:
SOHCAHTOA wrote:But usually, when playing D&D, each player rolls dices for their own characters. Since we could lie, I assume the GM is gonna roll dices for us all. Or is there some way to guarantee we won't lie about our dice rolls? Also, I'm not saying this because I don't trust you guys. It's just a general precaution, that's all. Not to mention, desperate situations require desperate measures. I myself, when near death would probably resort to lying about the dice.

Ah-ha! Thanks to another PbP game that I was part of, there is a solution. Kinda. http://invisiblecastle.com/. Go here, roll your dice, include the link to the roll in your post. So, for instance, I just rolled a 16!. And yes, you can cheat and just roll until you get something you like. But there's really only one way that I can stop such things, and that involves moving onto a different forum entirely (Myth-Weavers, if anyone cares).

So, I'm going to trust that my players won't do this. And honestly, I don't get why you would want to. If you're going to cheat, what's the point of rolling dice in the first place? The point is that you don't have control over what will happen.

Ok then disregard what I said. I'm definetely not gonna lie about the dice rolls, since that would ruin the fun. Of course, that is assuming I'll be able to play at all.

Also, I like the idea of you making the level 1 character sheets for everyone.
SOHCAHTOA

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Wait, the GM makes the character sheets? Wouldn't that mean we're not even playing our own characters...? T_T

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:14 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Wait, the GM makes the character sheets? Wouldn't that mean we're not even playing our own characters...? T_T

We're still making our own, I think. It's just that Krika's going to balance them afterwards.
Endless Sea

Postby JackAlsworth on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm interested, although I'm not sure how much time I would have (I'm tied up for most of this month due to Christmas stuff), but put me down as interested.
JackAlsworth

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Alright. Hmm, well then, I'll have to think about the character I intend to use and make sure it's not one of my more ridiculous ones - I.E. trollish vampire with the power to manipulate the concept of "potential."

AMimsyBorogove

Next

Return to Roleplaying