Floating Castle - Collaborative RP Discussion

It's a castle....and it's floating! :O

Moderator: Floating Castle Mods

Re: Floating Castle - Collaborative RP Discussion

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 am

Russ, it is a testament to your writing that even though I don't know him at all really, my brain went "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D" at the news that Fitzroy has arrived in the Castle.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Best backstory ever. :D
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Scarab on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17 am

Uh... sorry Isla, I was neither here in spirit or in mind and did not realise we had an ACTUAL quest with a deadline. My bad.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I still need to finish mine with Krika at some point, if only just to get it out of the way. I know it's way past the deadline, but still.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Guys, just write your quests and have them in by September 14th, at midnight EST.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Viperpit on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:11 am

Good day and greetings. I was recently just going around tvtropes (as I am wont to do) when I read up on this little game here. I thought it looked quite interesting and have to say that I would like to take a crack at it. Are new players still being accepted, or am I a bit to late to the party?
Viperpit

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:33 am

Sure. :)
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 am

Hi, I'm Qara, the other GM (if it wasn't clear from eli's answer above, she is a GM of Floating Castle)!

As eli said, you can absolutely still join the game. To provide some more detail, I highly recommend you skim through the Rulebook and Character Creation Guide before getting started.
Then just post your character in the Character Sheet thread and we'll either throw you into the next round of quests or let you know about any tweaks that should be made (in other words, if you don't hear from us, then you're good to go).

When we give you a quest, it will be assigned in the main FC thread so once you put your character up you might want to keep an eye on that.

If there is anything else you want to know, you can be sure to reach either of us here, or on twitter. Welcome to the Floating Castle!

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Viperpit on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:01 pm

So I posted my character, hope everything is okay. I realize that 'cane sword' wasn't one of the things given as an example, but I hope it won't be to much of a stretch for him to have such a thing. Also I am perfectly willing to join in on the whole 'Floaters Game' thing that is going on, but also I am cool with just going through the normal city story if that's what would be needed of me. Up to you guys. Thanks bunches.
Viperpit

Postby Viperpit on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:23 am

So are all quests usually this vague? Because I honestly have no idea what my character is suppose to be doing. He wakes up in the Underground, or goes down in it? It doesn't really seem to have a jumping off point I mean.
Viperpit

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am

Viperpit wrote:So are all quests usually this vague? Because I honestly have no idea what my character is suppose to be doing. He wakes up in the Underground, or goes down in it? It doesn't really seem to have a jumping off point I mean.

That's usually been the M.O. from the start. The general idea is that you're given a goal and a rough general area to start from - You wake up alone and start noticing the things described in the quest prompt. The idea is that you're free to come up with a solution of your own tastes.

I'm not GM'ing FC anymore, though I do believe Qara and eli could give you a few extra pointers if you'd like in order to reorient yourself and get acclimated to the setting. Plus, pretty much everyone who plays it can give you (likely widely different) ideas of what to build from. :)
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am

^ What he said. :D The idea of open-ended quests is you have more freedom as a writer to write, and there are multiple ways you can resolve things rather than just check a box. Technically, you don't even have to be in the Underground for this one if you don't want to-- just wandering off somewhere sketchy. (Not all Underground quests take place in the Underground. While it is a place, it is also a designation for a certain class of quests-- the kind you can do solo with a very tight time limit.)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:42 pm

All that said, if you want something better, just ask. :)
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Viperpit on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 am

Sorry if the quest was a little short, I tried my best to come up with something and this was the idea that I had.
Viperpit

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 am

There are no requirements/minimums on length, so long as you tell the whole story and don't go over one post. Your length is good. :)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Viperpit on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 pm

I don't really know if this quest is a great starting point for my character, mainly because it doesn't seem like someone who would be new to the whole adventuring scene would do any good at calming down people. Sorry for complaining or anything, but I don't really think I can do this mission.
Viperpit

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am

No worries.

From what I'm aware of, I would say that your character can DO the quest. The penalty for failing would just be like, more panic, and that would be interesting to see.

The thing with FC is that while I or qara can write the quest, we really give up any control for the outcome. So, really, you can write as you like, as long as you stay within your power levels (like, don't call down the face of bo or something).

My advice, if you like, would be to talk to your partner, and she what they'd like to do. If you're still not comfortable, we can work around things.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby IslaKariese on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Yeah, remember the quest Rabbie and I did that concluded with tiny dream-owl babies? That was surreal...
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Anura on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Uh... hello? Anyone here?
Anura

Postby IslaKariese on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Anura wrote:Uh... hello? Anyone here?

*nothing but echos answer the poor traveler's call...*
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:42 pm

*the echoes carry a whisper*

Could it be... Visitors?
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Anura wrote:Uh... hello? Anyone here?

Hey Anura,

If you are asking because you want to make a character or ask a question of people, I highly recommend you a) check out the Rulebook because it has a lot of handy information, b) just go ahead and ask the thing and I promise I will do my best to answer it, or c) try to grab us in the chat or on twitter because those are way more responsive/dialogic formats so it's easier.

If you are asking this to suggest that FC has been sort of... inactive... for a long time, I do apologize. It was on a slight hiatus as eli and I both dealt with extreme workloads/exhaustion, and now it is on a slightly more hiatus because lots of people do NaNoWriMo and therefore there are generally not enough people interested in playing during November for there to be active rounds of November quests. However, if enough people show active interest, I/we will try to whip together some quests/ other FC-related entertainment for y'all.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:46 pm

x3 she said y'all
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Scarab on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:37 am

IslaKariese wrote:Yeah, remember the quest Rabbie and I did that concluded with tiny dream-owl babies? That was surreal...

It as.
Also ISSY YOUR FOXY ICON IS ALL SNOWY WHITE *squeals with uncontained delight at cuteness*
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah, I try to remember to change it to an arctic fox for the winter months. I may have used this one already, but with having changed laptops at least twice since this thing started, I can't be sure by looking at my picture archive. *shrugs*
IslaKariese

PreviousNext

Return to Floating Castle