Floating Castle - Collaborative RP Discussion

It's a castle....and it's floating! :O

Moderator: Floating Castle Mods

Re: Floating Castle - Collaborative RP Discussion

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:57 pm

IslaKariese wrote:Yeah, I try to remember to change it to an arctic fox for the winter months. I may have used this one already, but with having changed laptops at least twice since this thing started, I can't be sure by looking at my picture archive. *shrugs*

I have to say I'm also a huge fan of your winter fox. It's absolutely adorable.

Okay but let's all stay relatively on-topic so the Castle doesn't feel left out and throw horrible things at you all. :twisted: ~Q
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Qara wrote:Okay but let's all stay relatively on-topic so the Castle doesn't feel left out and throw horrible things at you all. :twisted: ~Q

*grumbles* I bet the Castle loves my foxes...
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:47 pm

okay yes the castle does love foxes but the fox i have in mind is not white-furred, I apologize.

As for the RP, I am so sorry but at the moment everything in real life has kept me relatively off-balance. I will begin to look for things to do to start FC up again, but frankly?

It's gotten stale for me, and I really am going through a lot of creative block right now.

I don't know the future of the game. I don't know if or when it will continue. I would certainly like it too, I love this universe and everything about it. I have enjoyed writing with all of you on various things, and I think that the mechanics and gameplay style are unique to this RP.

So, I suppose this is my pulling from my playerbase again. If anyone has any ideas on how to breathe life back into Shardreach, I would love to hear from you all.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

THIS POST is suggesting a fundamental change to how the game works so if you are playing FC PLEASE READ

So eli and I have been discussing the fact that we are very busy people and FC is somewhat stalled, which is sad. I have come up with a potential solution for this problem, in that implementing this idea will make it 89% easier for me to keep running this game (eli didn't give a percentage for how much easier it would make things for her), but this solution would fundamentally change the way the game runs:

As things currently stand, people let us know if they're too busy for a quest, and if they haven't said that, then we assign quests to people as we see fit.

I propose turning that model on its head. If you want a quest, let us know-- that is, make a formal request to get a quest sometime in the near future. As soon as we have quest requests from two compatible people, we will give you a quest.

This model forces the players to be more active, in that you have to decide that you want a quest and seek us out, rather than just accept one when it is thrown at you. It also gives us more solid deadlines and guidelines, in that we have "So-and-so and Such-and-such want quests soon" as opposed to "Yeah some people have been mentioning that we haven't seen quests in a while."

Thoughts?
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby RussetDivinity on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:56 pm

I think it could work. The only trouble for me wouldn't really be trouble at all: if I'm too busy to remember to ask for a quest when I want one, I'm probably too busy to handle a quest anyway.
Jubilation and despair are two sides of the same coin.
RussetDivinity

Postby Blurred_9L on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:22 pm

It would be fun having that model for a while, but as for sticking with it for the remainder of the game... I don't know, it seems that the people who really want to do quests (which it's okay by me) would suddenly be involved in all the quests and everybody who's too busy to participate will kind of lag behind.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being skeptic. It's fine by me if everyone agrees. :P
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:21 am

Blurred_9L wrote:It seems that the people who really want to do quests would suddenly be involved in all the quests and everybody who's too busy to participate will kind of lag behind.

This isn't an argument for or against anything, but this feels like this is the case as things currently stand. One of the major problems which caused me to run up against a brick wall in terms of quest creation was the realization that I was giving quests over and over again to the same very small group of people because everybody else had, the last I'd heard, been too busy to take any quests.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:04 pm

I really just don't see myself ever asking for a quest.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:24 pm

I guess it could work, but knowing myself I'd feel somewhat insecure about asking quests because I can't predict if something will pop up and make me busy.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Victin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Is asking for a quest still valid or should I wait until the next round comes up?

Also, I'd like to talk about Morionem, I think? It doesn't have to be with the GMs, I suppose, but they'd get to hear what I have in mind, and be able to reply with some advice (or just someone to talk to about him, really). Which I guess anyone could do, but I do feel less guilty of bugging the GMs for whatever I might have to say (because I have no idea where the conversation would go :P).
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:03 am

Asking for a quest is always a great thing to do when you want a quest!

However, heads up to you and everyone else: I cannot guarantee quests until I get back in town.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:02 am

Let it be known that while evilness may automatically be attributed to me, and I DID have a few of the original concept ideas for the stuff that happened here, Scarab has made them soooooooooooo much better and added way more of her own. :twisted:
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:56 am

Sicon112 wrote:Let it be known that while evilness may automatically be attributed to me, and I DID have a few of the original concept ideas for the stuff that happened here, Scarab has made them soooooooooooo much better and added way more of her own. :twisted:

We were having this discussion yesterday about my potential for evils. I'm no Rick (hi Rick), but my goodness, I can turn on the fae if I need to.

All the same I apologise for the cliffhanger :P
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi! So! It is my most ardent wish to start moving things again, now that I'm back in town and the Floating's Game arc is ended.

I would like to go over a couple of important facts:

• First of all, in-universe, the 25th floor has been "unlocked". Everybody who was there has their memories back, it is possible to leave the floor in either direction, and the Floating's Game thread is no longer necessary to post in, even if the sidestory takes place on that floor.
  • Second, deadlines. I know we are all busy people, and we are happy to be flexible with quest extensions; HOWEVER, I would like to point out that the rulebook states that these extension requests must be submitted minimum 24 hours before the deadline. This is not because I am mean and unreasonable. It is because any closer to the deadline than that and a) the schedule is thrown even more out of whack; b) I get a headache trying to make sure everything will be all right; c) other bad things.

Thank you for understanding. As always, please try to let me and/or eli know if you are absolutely unavailable for quests in the near future OR if you would especially like one. Also anyone who is owed rewards and knows what you want please feel free to let me know. Also this post is no guarantee that things will actually start moving faster because we are still all busy people.

(Also, in case people missed the information in the last few posts in the Floating's Game thread, we have established that the Guardian of Floor 25 is an old acquaintance of Kevin's, who has agreed to work neither for nor against our characters.)

**Fixed it for you- eli**

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Victin on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:34 pm

I'd like to ask for a little help. I'm thinking about a new character I'd like to write, and I wanted to know if anyone's available to write a sidestory with me. I want to picture the character's personality better, and by writing with someone else I can reduce the amount of focus that goes on the rest of the story and concentrate on the character itself. The sidestory can be about anything, really, and it doesn't even need to be posted.
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:41 pm

My laptop is in an inoperable state, so I may need an extension or for Giselle to drop out for a bit. I'll try to coordinate with Issy and will keep the GMs posted.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:55 am

Right, I've decided that since I've got nothing better to do with my time, I'm going to join the RP.

So do I start making a character sheet? I already have my character in mind...(Hint: He's very mysterious and he's been wandering around for centuries.)

And we make our own guild up, right?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:08 am

you can. though be aware that your character needs to be vanilla human
eli_gone_crazy

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:20 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:you can. though be aware that your character needs to be vanilla human

OK. Tanks, Eli.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Blurred_9L on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:43 am

I forgot that I had a quest this week and I haven't talked about it with Krika since Tuesday (we were going to write, but something came up on my side >.<).

Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy until Thursday, so I think we'll need to ask for an extension. I dunno Krika's opinion about this, as I haven't yet talked with him.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:04 pm

oh damn that's right I have a quest too don't I

um

uh

*hurriedly checks with jackmod*
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Right, character done, just arrived...what do I do now? Do I start posting or do I ask for a quest?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 pm

you can post in the side stories if you want? I mean at this point we're waiting on a few people to post, and they know who they are and feel appropriately awful.

If you wanna write by yourself, or with another person, just contact them/start writing. Then just post to the side stories thread and we're all good.

Also, please check your Private Messages, pyro.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:15 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:you can post in the side stories if you want? I mean at this point we're waiting on a few people to post, and they know who they are and feel appropriately awful.

If you wanna write by yourself, or with another person, just contact them/start writing. Then just post to the side stories thread and we're all good.

Also, please check your Private Messages, pyro.

OK.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:39 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:I mean at this point we're waiting on a few people to post, and they know who they are and feel appropriately awful

Oh, so THAT's why I've been on the verge of throwing up for the last two days. I figured it was medicine-related stuff. :|
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

PreviousNext

Return to Floating Castle