FC TV Tropes page

It's a castle....and it's floating! :O

Moderator: Floating Castle Mods

FC TV Tropes page

Postby Guyshane on Sat May 04, 2013 9:37 pm

So it came up the other day that we hadn't created a tv tropes page for the game. Then we all realized that creating a page for what we have already is going to take a while. However we need to start now because it will only get worse the more time passes. So lets start out simple: comment with any tropes for you're character that they have displayed in the story so far and any tropes from the story in general with specific examples you can think of. Then we can get volunteers to write the page
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Re: FC TV Tropes page

Postby Pixelmage on Sat May 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Welp.

This thing got huuuuuuuge.

Anyway: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/R ... tingCastle
I didn't start the edits or anything, just went in to check for the proper namespace. I can work up a description, or someone else can do it. Let's just say that I'm in shock and staring at how big this RP got right now and leave it at that.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 pm

what pixel kindly left out of his nice, crisp GM post.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
eli_gone_crazy

Postby JRPictures on Sat May 04, 2013 10:19 pm

This can't be good.

Sure i'm no part of this RP but with an RP this big it's gonna take some time and that's from experience:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/R ... ousMechaRP
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Guyshane wrote:comment with any tropes for you're character that they have displayed in the story so far and any tropes from the story in general with specific examples you can think of. Then we can get volunteers to write the page

I think suggesting tropes for our own characters can turn out to be something similar like what happened with the ARG so maybe we should be careful about that, but anyway, that's not exactly up to me :P... otherwise, I think that if we read it through once or twice we can get a good grasp on some of the tropes in the story, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Guyshane on Sat May 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:
I think suggesting tropes for our own characters can turn out to be something similar like what happened with the ARG so maybe we should be careful about that

Fair enough, maybe we can get a verification system or something but I feel the creators should at least have a say on their character(s)
Guyshane

Postby Pixelmage on Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't think we need to be too strict on this particular case. Because A) We're not troping ourselves, we're troping our characters (thus, if a character gets negative tropes, it's not a jab at the person. If it doesn't apply and was added wrongly, it can just be cut). And B) Everything is here in this subforum, doesn't matter if you're editing a trope for your own character as long as you are able to accurately point a scene that displays the trope.

Of course, cuts, changes and additions can be made by anyone else too. So the freedom goes both ways. So, usual wiki procedure. :P Just be open to discussion and polite about it and we'll be fine.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Victin on Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 pm

I'd suggest two character pages, one for Players Characters and toher for NPCs, in case we can't divide this page in two. Other than that, I suppose I could make all the folders, but I'm not sure if it will work with this many characters, so we may have to split them by guild instead.

Also I'm really tired today, and I probably will leave the PC soon, so I'd have to do it eventually some other day.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Pixelmage on Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 pm

There's no need to split a character page. It's a list for now because there's no entries written, but we'll sort it into folders once we start writing the entries themselves.
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Adell on Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Fixed up the character page to have folders
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Krika on Sun May 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Well. This is definitely a fun development to keep track of stuff.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Lordxana0 on Sun May 05, 2013 10:05 pm

So about Salvantas character sheet. I am sad to say I will not be doing any work on it simply because I am to biased with him being my character. I would appreciate someone else taking a more unbiased approach to it and doing it. Thank you.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Guyshane on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:36 am

Ideas for the laconic entry:

1)
agoraoptera

"It began with a mysterious Floating Castle. It got worse. Then shit hit the fan. Twice."

2)
agoraoptera

Laconic: PCs get maimed, brutalised, knocked unconscious, mutilated, blinded, driven insane and rewards on a regular basis.

Guyshane

you forgot petrified

agoraoptera

Right petrified
Guyshane

Postby Scarab on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 am

I approve of both these suggestion, although I think we're exaggerating the damage thing :lol: . I'll try and add a Laconic while I'm there if I can work out how. Edit: I worked out how, feel free to change it, guys :)

Oh, on that note, while I think it's amusing, Tamar doesn't really fit as the Chick in the Five Man Band Ensemble. For that particular trope, the role of The Chick HAS to be female, according to the current definition. even if he fits it according to other tropes (uh, does this make Tamar the heart?)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:27 am

Scarab wrote:I approve of both these suggestion, although I think we're exaggerating the damage thing :lol: . I'll try and add a Laconic while I'm there if I can work out how. Edit: I worked out how, feel free to change it, guys :)

Oh, on that note, while I think it's amusing, Tamar doesn't really fit as the Chick in the Five Man Band Ensemble. For that particular trope, the role of The Chick HAS to be female, according to the current definition. even if he fits it according to other tropes (uh, does this make Tamar the heart?)

That's weird cause I see males used as "The Chick" all the time
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:50 am

From the trope description:
The "feminine", "spiritual", and "heart", aspect of the Five-Man Band.

Yes, we understand that a male can fill this role.

The Chick can be male, and it's a much more apt description of Tamar's role in the group than The Heart-- he's not their mother-figure, or the emotional centre of them. He's just... well, The Chick.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:From the trope description:
The "feminine", "spiritual", and "heart", aspect of the Five-Man Band.

Yes, we understand that a male can fill this role.

The Chick can be male, and it's a much more apt description of Tamar's role in the group than The Heart-- he's not their mother-figure, or the emotional centre of them. He's just... well, The Chick.

The Chick CAN be male in many media, yes, but not in the context of the Five Man Band. According to the trope definition it's meant to be a girl: so if you guys are seeing people using it for males in this particular context, then they're not using the trope right. A quote from the TV tropes Page 'Five Man Ensemble'

Five Man Band wrote:The Chick — (vocal effects, tambourine) A peacekeeping role to balance out the other members' aggression, bringing them to a nice or at least manageable medium. The Chick is often considered the heart of the group. This role is played by a woman or girl. Someone female. Otherwise, it is not a Five-Man Band.

And honestly, Eliziya still fits it more in my opinion, she's far more feminine and spiritual. Tamar is about as spiritual as a cashew.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Guyshane on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Is there a reason you want to break up the band Scarab? Some reason you don't want S&D to thrive? You're an anti-guild spy!!!!
Guyshane

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm

if we're going to be anal about tropes, better to do it now.
I would suggest finding some form of replacement then, either a compromise, or a new solution altogether.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Krika on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 am

Alright.

I'm doing this.

Put your name here if you are willing to help bring the TvTropes page for Floating Castle up to speed. This is going to happen, dammit.
Krika
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Victin on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:24 am

I want to help but I don't think I have neither the skills nor the knowledge about tropes. But I can try, just tell me what to do. Let's do this!
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 am

Yeah, we should really put more work into this. Maybe keep it open in a tab all the time, just to remind us that it's there and needs work?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Krika on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 am

And like I said, I do want to work on it, and am going to try and keep what stuff I can updated, but when it's not directly related to stuff that I've written, or helped write, or anything related to the Nightmare Fuel/Funny/Heartwarming/Awesome/Tear Jerker pages, I really don't know what I can do, since I don't really see something, and connect it to tropes, except when I'm writing it.
Krika
Guyshane
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Adell on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:49 pm

I'd be up for updating the tropes page once we get to summer break, if others are willing to help as well. I'm a little to0 busy to be bothered with it at just this moment though, but yeah it needs some series updating.

It couldn't hurt to have some kind of recap page too so that we can kind of get a summation of everything that's happened so far (or the general gist of what has happened so far)
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Victin on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Updated the link so it brings people to this forum. Also would we be up for the Doorstopper trope?
Victin

Next

Return to Floating Castle