Floating Castle NaNoWriMo Suggestion

It's a castle....and it's floating! :O

Moderator: Floating Castle Mods

Floating Castle NaNoWriMo Suggestion

Postby Scarab on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:37 am

Okay, so, NaNoWriMo is coming up, and I have a proposition for you all.

For those who weren’t here last time and may not know, NaNoWriMo is the National Novel Writing Month, wherein participants have one month (November) to create a novel at least 50,000 words in length. That’s about two thirds of the first Harry Potter book. To a newcomer, such a number can be daunting, and one of the trickiest parts is, for me anyway, coming up with the initial story.

And then I realised: I have an initial story sitting right here.

So, my idea is this: we enter NaNoWriMo utilising our FC characters and their back stories: tell us what happened to them before they arrived in the Floating Castle. What mysteries and interactions led them to that point? Who did they know? What challenged them? I imagine the story should not strictly HAVE to be about your current FC player. It can be about the characters in their past, too. If I were to write a back story for Tamar, for example, the odds are he would be a relevant side character rather than the main protagonist, because younger!Tamar just doesn’t fit the mould of hero.

There would obviously also be certain requirements that can’t be broken if you want to stick within the rules of the FC Universe: we must ask our lovely GMs for specifics about that. Or maybe you won’t. Maybe your story will spiral off into a completely different direction. Either way, I think our FC characters would make a great starting point for a series of Nano novels.

So, what do you guys think? Anybody interested in joining me in this endeavour?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: Floating Castle NaNoWriMo Suggestion

Postby JRPictures on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:50 am

Sounds like a neat idea.

I'm not sure what part I could play though.

Butch has yet to even go to the Floating Castle yet.

Though I could think up something for his past
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:51 am

JRPictures wrote:Sounds like a neat idea.

That makes it even easier for you. This will be harder, obviously, for the people who have already written a lot of backstory and still choose to use their main FC Player character for this. Unless they cheat :P Cheating is an option, I don't think anyone on the NaNoWriMo committee frowns too badly on, mild cheats.

Try not to think of it as 'thinking up something' so much as... just telling the story the character has.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby agoraoptera on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:30 am

I think I'll pass on this. There's only so much backstory an amnesiac psychogirl can have before it gets dull and besides, I've got a little project just in its first 10k that I intend to push to 60k through NaNo. But I'd be interested to see what you guys can come up with. :)
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby JRPictures on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 am

Scarab wrote:
JRPictures wrote:Sounds like a neat idea.

That makes it even easier for you. This will be harder, obviously, for the people who have already written a lot of backstory and still choose to use their main FC Player character for this. Unless they cheat :P Cheating is an option, I don't think anyone on the NaNoWriMo committee frowns too badly on, mild cheats.

Try not to think of it as 'thinking up something' so much as... just telling the story the character has.

What I mean is that I only have a minor idea of Butch's past and backstory so "thinking up something" is more of the fact that I haven't fully realized his backstory yet.

Regardless, hearing all this makes me a little excited about it
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:49 am

I can't do this because...

All of Floating Castle is just a sidestory from the perspective of Ben, who's been my MC for the past two NaNos and will be for two more. Not backstory. Her story. (God willing, she'll let her damn story end after that. It was supposed to be one book. Then one. Then four. Now five?)
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 am

On my end it's most likely that I won't take on NaNo this year at all. :(
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:41 am

o.o

I.... o.o

Uhm... *flees from NaNo*
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Blurred_9L on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:00 pm

:/ I really want to try, but school, work and school projects around November... taking on NaNoWriMo would probably cut those 6 hours of sleep I'm getting right now.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm highly tempted to throw the PTA's backstory in as an entry, but I'd need to collaborate with Narradilly on that one, since it involves Giselle, and I was actually already thinking of joining Nanowrimo this year with the novel that my short story, Daybreak, which some of you may have read, was a sort of pilot to.
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 pm

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think I'd actually do this... for one thing, Giselle's backstory isn't actually that interesting, and for another, if I'm doing NaNoWriMo (I'm not sure if I'll do it this year or not... I did it for a few years in a row, then skipped last year) I want to work on something that I feel I can be more free-form with.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm actually thinking of writing the story Defective was based on, but I might end up contributing a few pages' worth of story detailing the Fountain of Light and other stuff.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Krika on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:49 pm

.....I...I'm already doing that, and I'd need to co-op with Vic!
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Victin on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Krika wrote:.....I...I'm already doing that, and I'd need to co-op with Vic!

I could write some of my character's backstory, or rather, a character of his past's backstory, but eventually it'd reach a part where I need Krika.

... Although... If I do it correctly I can just shift to Morionem's perspective towards the end, I think. Idk, I could try...
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 pm

...and now I've actually thought of something to contribute for this particular collection. ^_^ Are we still doing this, btw?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Krika on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 am

You know, we could totally do that bar brawl idea and do a collective NaNo, try and get that up to 50k words.

Of course, it wouldn't just be the bar brawl, oh no. It'd start out as the brawl, but then expand outward to chronicle the Hangover-style shenanigans going on as the drunken people leave the bar and take the city by storm, and draw the non-drunk people into the hijinks that ensue.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:38 am

That would also be hilarious. Maybe we could separate things into acts and have one section for backstory stuff and another for shenanigans after they've hit the castle?
Endless Sea

Postby Scarab on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 am

Sounds a cool idea. Some of us are already doing our own nanos but as a collective group I'm sure we could handle one more...
Scarab

Postby Victin on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Krika wrote:You know, we could totally do that bar brawl idea and do a collective NaNo, try and get that up to 50k words.

Of course, it wouldn't just be the bar brawl, oh no. It'd start out as the brawl, but then expand outward to chronicle the Hangover-style shenanigans going on as the drunken people leave the bar and take the city by storm, and draw the non-drunk people into the hijinks that ensue.

Endless Sea wrote:That would also be hilarious. Maybe we could separate things into acts and have one section for backstory stuff and another for shenanigans after they've hit the castle?

I'm now picturing the aftermatch of the brawl as a mix of the Hangover movies and The Two Deaths of Quincas Wateryell.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Return to Floating Castle