Name: _______________________ Instructor: ______________________
You must choose ONE OF Parts A, B or C to answer in full. You will be given 100 hours to complete the examination. No electronic devices are permitted in the exam room. This includes cell phones, pocket dictionaries, laptops, airplanes, palm pilots, beepers, tablets, microwave ovens, those little tamegotchis, gameboys, kindles, playstation portables, desktop computers, fax machines, pay phones, fountain pens, bionic implants, and your older sibling/cousin who may know more about this subject than you.
Extra credit may be given for completion of more than the required number of questions.
Part A - Terms
You must choose 10 out of the following 12 terms to identify and define. For full marks, identify the context of the item or individual, and give a definition of what the term means or who the individual is. This should be completed in paragraphs of less than one hundred words each.
- Phantom Thieves Anonymous
- Salvantas Londgium
- Floor Seven
- The Underground
- The Veil
- . Cows
- The Guard
Part B - Short Answers
You must choose two out of the following six questions to answer in full. For full marks, give specific examples and relate the significance of your answer to the overall Castle. Answers longer than six hundred words will not be graded.
- What are the various types of magic present in the castle? Please define and explore how the different styles and practices of mages coordinate or conflict with each other.
- Name and describe four different non-human creatures indigenous to the Castle.
- Describe and compare/contrast the different philosophies of at least two guilds/organizations in the Castle.
- How are farm animals (such as horses, ducks, and cows) important to the economy and growth of the First Floor city?
- Discuss the value and impact of literacy and print culture in the Castle.
- The Crimson Hound and Onyx Raven’s rebellion brought the city to anarchy. Explore how the rebellion impacted commerce and job safety, with special attention to what actions you would have recommended at the time to create a more successful governing structure, in lieu of the rage talismans and dispatch of all guilds and guild members.
Part C - Essay
You may choose up to two of the following four choices and write a complete (min. 600 words) essay on the topic. Be sure to indicate which essay question you have chosen. For full marks, be sure to make reference to at least two of the readings studied in the course of the Castle.
- Giving specific examples from the text, speculate on the identity and goals of the individual known as Shardreach.
- Giving specific examples from the text, discuss the phenomenon of death in the Castle, and how it effects further problems or impacts other lives.
- Giving specific examples from the text, define the physical mechanics of how the castle can even exist in space.
- Giving specific examples from the text, speculate on the temporal and technological framework in which the Castle exists.