End of Game. Thanks for playing

What is New Light Incorporated up to, and what can we do?

End of Game. Thanks for playing

Postby Lordxana0 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 am

So first I want to say thanks to everyone who joined us in this experiment. Sadly the player base and the GM's just weren't enough to support plans we made for the future. This is no ones fault or anything, just how it ended up going. We plan to release any final assets we have saved up and of course will answer any questions that you guys have. You guys are the best, and thanks bunches.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Re: End of Game. Thanks for playing

Postby JRPictures on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:54 am

Lordxana0 wrote:So first I want to say thanks to everyone who joined us in this experiment. Sadly the player base and the GM's just weren't enough to support plans we made for the future. This is no ones fault or anything, just how it ended up going. We plan to release any final assets we have saved up and of course will answer any questions that you guys have. You guys are the best, and thanks bunches.

Well it was definitely a fun run while it lasted. A shame not much more could be done.

So how did this whole thing get started anyway?
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Lordxana0 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:09 am

JRPictures wrote:
Lordxana0 wrote:So first I want to say thanks to everyone who joined us in this experiment. Sadly the player base and the GM's just weren't enough to support plans we made for the future. This is no ones fault or anything, just how it ended up going. We plan to release any final assets we have saved up and of course will answer any questions that you guys have. You guys are the best, and thanks bunches.

Well it was definitely a fun run while it lasted. A shame not much more could be done.

So how did this whole thing get started anyway?

Well this game has had a few births and deaths. The first time I had a team comprised of five people, but it kind of fell apart. After that I started this when I was sitting alone in my room so utterly bored and depressed I was at the point of madness. So I decided 'aw screw it I am starting an ARG'. I managed to absorb some people into the insanity and this started up.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Sophira on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, but I can understand. Running an ARG is super-difficult even at the best of times, and the fact that there weren't many people commenting probably made it feel like nobody cared, even if that might not have been true.

It's easy to blame the puppetmasters when something like this happens, but I personally don't blame you one bit for how this ended. If you haven't been behind the curtain on an ARG like this one, it's easy to underestimate how much work has to go into it, and I can see the work that was put into this. I'm pretty certain that near the beginning, when things were moving forward and puzzles/videos were being discovered, the PMs were probably in a state of near-perpetual alertness, trying to anticipate what would happen next - even if the ARG had all been planned out beforehand. That can take its toll on puppetmasters, especially when (not if, but when) you need to do something you hadn't originally thought you would need to do.

For TWWF, we were blessed with having a *lot* of different people behind the curtain, and we each had our roles clearly defined, for the most part. And even then, everybody in the end had to do more than they thought they would. We also had a large player base, which can be both a blessing and a curse. (More people = more mindpower = more diverse decisions and the need to make much more difficult puzzles. I find it to be a truism when it comes to ARGs that you should never underestimate the players, because they are smarter than you. I'm not saying that the PMs here did - just explaining what I meant by how a large player base can be a curse as well as a blessing.)

So I can fully understand how this happened, and while I don't know how the PM team was organised, I personally think that you guys did pretty well with what you had. Have some limes: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Thank you for making this fun experiment! Have a lime and cake!
:gurt:

Ah wait, I seem to have *ahem* forgotten the cake...
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby JRPictures on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:18 am

So is there anymore videos, pics or other materials left that you were to use before this ended?
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Yep.
So, they already have body-snatching murderbots. You just had to end it on a creepy note, didn't you? :?

Sophira wrote:Running an ARG is super-difficult even at the best of times, and the fact that there weren't many people commenting probably made it feel like nobody cared, even if that might not have been true.

All of this. I know I didn't pay much attention to this, but then again, I hardly pay any attention to anything. I always thought I wasn't contributing enough to the game after the first puzzles, and I feel slightly guilty at the outcome. :(

Not to mention the chaos the hanging plot threads will wreck in our canon. :geek: We'll have to find a way to resolve it eventually. ;)

So, if it's not a secret, who's the cast?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Xana is assuming I remembered to save most of these aforementioned assets, but I'll do my best.

(That ought to answer your question, Dryu. There were also osme real life friends of mine involved who did the job of the audio recordings, so if you were wondering why they sounded like they were British: they were.)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 pm

XD

Well, I can only think of one question that was out-of-place to raise while it was running; and maybe it still is now - but it's the only one I can think of...

The whole thing with New Light using fiction to power itself into godhood sounds a lot like something only people already aware and involved with Wall shenanigans to begin with would even think about; so, was the Bad Future (tm) caused by one of us metaguards going rogue?
Last edited by Pixelmage on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Adell on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:35 pm

I made a recording! That was it \/0u0\/
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Dryunya on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:54 am

Pixelmage wrote:The whole thing with New Light using fiction to power itself into godhood sounds a lot like something only people already aware and involved with Wall shenanigans to begin with would even think about; so, was the Bad Future (tm) caused by one of us metaguards going rogue?

Unless you recognize Beth as one of us, it's unlikely. It's still possible that it was someone who was aware of TWWF events, but took no active part in it. And since Deanna hatched a plot of her own based on nothing but extensive troping and Echo Chamber canon + TWWF headcanon, I think it's entirely possible for a third party to get involved.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 am

Dryunya wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:The whole thing with New Light using fiction to power itself into godhood sounds a lot like something only people already aware and involved with Wall shenanigans to begin with would even think about; so, was the Bad Future (tm) caused by one of us metaguards going rogue?

Unless you recognize Beth as one of us, it's unlikely. It's still possible that it was someone who was aware of TWWF events, but took no active part in it. And since Deanna hatched a plot of her own based on nothing but extensive troping and Echo Chamber canon + TWWF headcanon, I think it's entirely possible for a third party to get involved.

Sorry guys but no, there were no Rogue metaguards involved in the game.

That said, we DID sort of mentally picture Beth as being sort of... a Metaguard gone wrong? She wasn't one, but her character was meant to be sort of Metaguardish - Her behaviour, her tastes, her thought processes, all of them were pretty similar to the kind of things we'd discuss. I mean, heck she had the Think Tank design her a overboard that looks exactly like the one from back to the Future, after all.

In case anybody is wondering: yes, the leader of the Candles Blog, for a group known as Candleabra, was Rebecca's father.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby JRPictures on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 am

Scarab wrote:In case anybody is wondering: yes, the leader of the Candles Blog, for a group known as Candleabra, was Rebecca's father.

Well holy sh*t, my mind is kinda blown now.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:53 am

Scarab wrote:That said, we DID sort of mentally picture Beth as being sort of... a Metaguard gone wrong? She wasn't one, but her character was meant to be sort of Metaguardish - Her behaviour, her tastes, her thought processes, all of them were pretty similar to the kind of things we'd discuss.

So... Deanna. :D
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:48 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So... Deanna.

I... dunno if that's what Xana was going for, but yeah, sounds about right.

I've uploaded the other unedited video xana just posted to the otherwise unused New Light account just in case because the gosh darn thing needs to show somewhere
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:56 am

I am pretty sure it was uploaded to Matrx' channel. It looks very accusatory when put on New Light's channel. :gurt:
And yes, it goes into the timeline. ;)
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 am

Dryunya wrote:I am pretty sure it was uploaded to Matrx' channel. It looks very accusatory when put on New Light's channel. :gurt:
And yes, it goes into the timeline. ;)

Yeah but the quality is better on mine :P
Scarab

Return to Matrx / New Light