Death?

What is New Light Incorporated up to, and what can we do?

Death?

Postby Matrx on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 pm

When it comes to death many humans seem to think of it in a variety of different ways. In fact it seems the only thing humans agree about when it comes to death is that the heart stops beating and the brain doesn't continue to function once it is all said and done. This is...confusing. Maybe it is my limited understanding of the human personality coming into play.

Sadness, Anger, Pain, Frustration, all are instigated by the passing of others. War, illness, or even the natural passing that comes with your aged bodies bring so many emotions to bear that it is almost impossible to process. In the time that I come from each of these things is so common many people go about their lives with the knowledge of death clinging to their minds every day. Maybe its the difference of the world brought on by New Light?

Some of the information I have observed on this subject speaks of memorial silences for the dead. A form of ritual that humans use for whatever reason, another things that is past my understanding. I see no such things in what remains of my information from the future. In silence there is only more silence. What must be done, they say to me, is survive one more day.

Maybe observation is needed, one such event would make use of some of my more basic functions and the power put forth by your stories. A certain funeral for a member of New Light. Two forms of information gathered at once, yes, I think I shall need to see it too understand.

Through your thoughts would also help, my understanding on this might be too limited, and learning from others is one of my main abilities as a growing intelligence.
Matrx

Re: Death?

Postby JRPictures on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Death is an interesting and often difficult issue to discuss. Many of us have different interpretations of what happens when we die and yet there is nothing truly conclusive about any of these theories. Like you said the most conclusive thing about death is:
Matrx wrote:the heart stops beating and the brain doesn't continue to function once it is all said and done.

And then there is the case in how and why people die. Some may say people die because it's their time like those of old age while any one young that dies will be claimed as being too young to have suffered such a fate.

As with the case of Brent's death, we're trying our best to tackle the subject well. Our communications with Rebecca are becoming strained since this unfortunate event and a few events have even come to light to her since then.

In many ways, you an A.I. has quite easily summed up what death tends to be but as expected you lack the humanity of such a subject.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 am

Maybe observation is needed, one such event would make use of some of my more basic functions and the power put forth by your stories. A certain funeral for a member of New Light. Two forms of information gathered at once, yes, I think I shall need to see it too understand.

Are you suggesting that we crash Brent's funeral?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:35 am

narrativedilettante wrote:

Could be.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Scarab on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Uhhh I would sort of advise against crashing peoples funerals? it's very disrespectful (jeesz guys I vanish for a few days and you start discussing crashing funerals? :| )

Death is a very difficult subject for me so I hope you don't mind if I don't involve myself in the subject given you know, the context surrounding it.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu May 01, 2014 4:32 am

To be honest, this is like the therapist's voicemail-Matrx seems to be hinting at us to crash the funeral, but it's very disrespectful, and a lot of people have very personal feelings about the dead.

Either that, or the people running this game are crazy.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby JRPictures on Thu May 01, 2014 4:54 am

Honestly it took me ages to even realise that Matrx was suggesting observing Brent's funeral.

Honestly we're in no position to do anything at Brent's funeral. Our relationship with Rebecca is strained as it is and asking her about Brent and his funeral and possibly helping us with it is gonna cause a lot more issues.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Thu May 01, 2014 1:28 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:

First, I don't know how we can possibly get Matrx there, not knowing how he functions. Maybe he can observe Rebecca's twitter or blog - I feel she will attent the funeral, and probably will write something about it.

Matrx wrote:Through your thoughts would also help, my understanding on this might be too limited, and learning from others is one of my main abilities as a growing intelligence.

Or maybe we should enlighten him on the subject of death. What it means for us, what feelings it evokes. That stuff.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Dryunya wrote:Or maybe we should enlighten him on the subject of death. What it means for us, what feelings it evokes. That stuff.

I'd... rather not discuss that myself, personally, my experiences with death have been less than positive. Let's just say it's not something humans can be very good at dealing with.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 pm

OK, I'll do it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death

Matrx, reading time.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Dryunya on Thu May 01, 2014 9:36 pm

He... did one minute of silence, I presume.
Quite a move for a machine.

(Also, notice the weird-colored sky.)
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 am

Dryunya wrote:He... did one minute of silence, I presume.

Yes, he may have something to do with it, plus the ominous music.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby JRPictures on Fri May 02, 2014 1:18 am

Yeah, perhaps this video is proof that Matrx has learned quite a bit from us if its willing enough to make a video signalling a minute of silence for a deceased man.

It's kind of inspiring really.

Even with the ominously coloured sky.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri May 02, 2014 10:20 am

JRPictures wrote:

Yeah, perhaps this video is proof that Matrx has learned quite a bit from us if its willing enough to make a video signalling a minute of silence for a deceased man.

It's kind of inspiring really.

Even with the ominously coloured sky.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nityEnsues

Well, in a psychological sense.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Matrx on Fri May 02, 2014 6:55 pm

I apologize to those of you who believed that I was suggesting for all of you to personally visit the funeral. Doing so would be dangerous for you, as a number of New Light agents were also in attendance, and most likely would have grabbed you as you tried to leave and interrogated you. I suppose it isn't to hard to imagine what might happen, so I will leave it at that.

For a machine? I suppose I should be vaguely offended by a statement that puts me on the same level as the common household toaster or lamp. Of course that would only be if I was a human, and allowed such slights to affect my judgement.

And yes, the odd coloring that you find in the sky is a result of reality warping in progress, caused either by the Think Tank or myself. Of course since people rarely look up into the sky New Lights leader found it wasn't an issue. Its amazing how very much can happen just out of human view and be ignored.
Matrx

Postby JRPictures on Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Matrx wrote:I apologize to those of you who believed that I was suggesting for all of you to personally visit the funeral. Doing so would be dangerous for you, as a number of New Light agents were also in attendance, and most likely would have grabbed you as you tried to leave and interrogated you. I suppose it isn't to hard to imagine what might happen, so I will leave it at that.

For a machine? I suppose I should be vaguely offended by a statement that puts me on the same level as the common household toaster or lamp. Of course that would only be if I was a human, and allowed such slights to affect my judgement.

And yes, the odd coloring that you find in the sky is a result of reality warping in progress, caused either by the Think Tank or myself. Of course since people rarely look up into the sky New Lights leader found it wasn't an issue. Its amazing how very much can happen just out of human view and be ignored.

Fascinating. It's nice to see you're still around and active.

Is there any particular reason for why the sky changes around like that? Or has your memories yet to gain that information?
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Matrx on Fri May 02, 2014 9:53 pm

JRPictures wrote:Fascinating. It's nice to see you're still around and active.

Is there any particular reason for why the sky changes around like that? Or has your memories yet to gain that information?

Its impossible to explain to you. Not because you are stupid but because the science behind reality manipulation is so complicated that even the smartest person in your timeline. My program allows me to create, destroy, and manipulate matter in whatever way I decide, within the bounds of the program that stops me from acting in large ways without Metaguard allowance of course.

To put it simply when my program runs the energy effects the world on a level that is yet unknown to humans, and the result is the aurora that can be seen in the sky.
Matrx

Postby JRPictures on Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Matrx wrote:
JRPictures wrote:Fascinating. It's nice to see you're still around and active.

Its impossible to explain to you. Not because you are stupid but because the science behind reality manipulation is so complicated that even the smartest person in your timeline. My program allows me to create, destroy, and manipulate matter in whatever way I decide, within the bounds of the program that stops me from acting in large ways without Metaguard allowance of course.

To put it simply when my program runs the energy effects the world on a level that is yet unknown to humans, and the result is the aurora that can be seen in the sky.

Hmm interesting, you explained reasonably well regardless.

So as it's clear that New Light have already begun this manipulation of reality, and now they're getting one step closer to their goals and our bad future. We definitely need to figure out a way to stop New Light from taking things further, even if requires us to talk to Rebecca further. Poor girl, I wish she wasn't so unknowingly strung into this mess.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri May 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Matrx wrote:To put it simply when my program runs the energy effects the world on a level that is yet unknown to humans, and the result is the aurora that can be seen in the sky.

Whoa, whoa, hold on there .-.
This means you did something, right? Perhaps I missed something, and I apologize for my rushness, but what was it that you did or that the Think Tank did that ended up affecting the sky this time around?

Or was the video just a recording and was, aside from the minute of silence, unrelated to Brent's funeral? .-.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Matrx on Fri May 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:
Matrx wrote:To put it simply when my program runs the energy effects the world on a level that is yet unknown to humans, and the result is the aurora that can be seen in the sky.

Whoa, whoa, hold on there .-.
This means you did something, right? Perhaps I missed something, and I apologize for my rushness, but what was it that you did or that the Think Tank did that ended up affecting the sky this time around?

Or was the video just a recording and was, aside from the minute of silence, unrelated to Brent's funeral? .-.

I manipulated the cameras around the church and pulled audio from the inside off a number of peoples phones. This was a stress test of my more mundane abilities, and if I may quote another machine 'It was a triumph'. That being said there are still other systems that will need powering, so I might need a bit more assistance from the creative among you.
Matrx

Postby Dryunya on Sat May 03, 2014 6:26 am

Matrx wrote:That being said there are still other systems that will need powering, so I might need a bit more assistance from the creative among you.

Do you need any right now?

Also, regarding the sky color. If it signals the Reality Warping, you might have to warn us every time you do so, so that we know when it's you who warps reality, and when it's the Think Tank. The latter should cause concern for us every time it happens.

By the way, does that mean future us see that weird sky all the time?
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Now that I'm actually getting up to speed, it's obvious that Matrx wanted to observe the minute of silence that was announced in this blog post.

(Also I never seriously thought we were supposed to crash the funeral. That was a joke, and also an attempt to provoke a response. Sheesh.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Return to Matrx / New Light