Dream Journal

Anything goes.

Re: Dream Journal

Postby Scarab on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm

AMimsyBorogove wrote:Well it's not MY fault that you're secretly Leonardo diCaprio, Sicon. Still, I suppose I should be grateful that at least you didn't open up one of Yukari's gaps out of nowhere while I was waiting for a train and hit me with Waste Line ~ Aimless Journey to the Old Station this time. Being run over by a train hurts, even if it's just in a dream and you happen to have just consumed the Hourai Elixir within said dream. X.X

...If Sicon were in Titanic, he would've had the sense to realise that two people could fit on that bloody door without it sinking. :P

I like your dreams. They seem along the same level of implausible as mine.

The one dream sticking with me at the moment is discovering my workplace was turning into the enormous belly of a monsterous beast. We were hiding out in the stockroom while the world went red and fleshy. That's pretty tame, though.

I also dream a lot about trains. And there's something in my mind involving a white city in a desert... That was years ago, it's mostly gone now.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Mine was staying in a hotel with a locker room and a gateway into Wonderland and a very weird toon version of disney and blowing up the toilets and hitting the teachers I hated with my rifle butt.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:12 pm

I had an odd series of dreams last night.

I was searching for the Elder God of Doctors (or was it the Evil God of Doctors? Or the God of Evil Doctors? The dream was a little fuzzy on that point), so I entered a store which had a brightly-marked door which somehow told me it was what I was looking for. I went inside, and coughed up Cthulhu. I wrapped it in a tissue, because I figured no one wanted to look at my gross coughed-up Cthulhu. Later on, there were some political speeches and a parade.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I wrapped it in a tissue, because I figured no one wanted to look at my gross coughed-up Cthulhu.

I love this.

Well, I am apparently incapable of going a night without dreaming about Supernatural. For those unfamiliar, Sam and Dean are the main characters, and Eric Kripke created the show.

Some people were posting online, claiming to be kings or gods or something, and demanding special treatment from other people on the internet. This was a huge problem, and Sam and Dean were finding these people and killing them. Then Sam and Dean proclaimed themselves the real rulers of the internet, and I had to convince everyone that these guys were the real deal and should be listened to. OR, it might have been that some being was possessing people and making them say this kind of stuff online, and Sam and Dean were tracking it down to kill it. Either way, eventually Eric Kripke got involved, and the boys had to kill him.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 pm

My dream had something about money, rifles and war. I cannot remember anything else other than that.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 pm

For the first time in several days, I didn't dream about Supernatural.

I was in a room with one other person. We were both children. There was a storm outside. We tried to relax and stay calm and safe, but the wind kept rattling the walls and it seemed like the whole building might collapse. In the next room over, the adults were gathered together and trying to figure out what to do about the storm. Every once in a while when I looked out the window I saw a thick dark pillar in the distance and recognized it as a tornado. I always wanted to warn the grown-ups, but I didn’t want to interrupt their meeting, and I figured they probably already knew, so instead of running out and making myself part of the proceedings I just opened the door and shouted “Tornado!” with the other kid. Then I tried to think of what I should do about the tornado, and I sat on the floor next to the bed and held onto one of the bed legs, hoping that the bed would keep me anchored if the winds picked me up.

And this bit I don't remember nearly as well. I think maybe it was meant to be a part of TWWF, with characters being discussed in a blog that we were supposed to do something about.

Someone wrote a blog that detailed the lives of Mr. Jacquel and Mr. Ibis (Anubis and Thoth) from American Gods. Whoever wrote it complained that no one had done anything about it. I said he shouldn’t expect me to do anything in a timely fashion because I’m a slacker.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Endless Sea on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:For the first time in several days, I didn't dream about Supernatural.

I was in a room with one other person. We were both children. There was a storm outside. We tried to relax and stay calm and safe, but the wind kept rattling the walls and it seemed like the whole building might collapse. In the next room over, the adults were gathered together and trying to figure out what to do about the storm. Every once in a while when I looked out the window I saw a thick dark pillar in the distance and recognized it as a tornado. I always wanted to warn the grown-ups, but I didn’t want to interrupt their meeting, and I figured they probably already knew, so instead of running out and making myself part of the proceedings I just opened the door and shouted “Tornado!” with the other kid. Then I tried to think of what I should do about the tornado, and I sat on the floor next to the bed and held onto one of the bed legs, hoping that the bed would keep me anchored if the winds picked me up.

And this bit I don't remember nearly as well. I think maybe it was meant to be a part of TWWF, with characters being discussed in a blog that we were supposed to do something about.

Someone wrote a blog that detailed the lives of Mr. Jacquel and Mr. Ibis (Anubis and Thoth) from American Gods. Whoever wrote it complained that no one had done anything about it. I said he shouldn’t expect me to do anything in a timely fashion because I’m a slacker.

complained that no one had done anything about it

shouldn’t expect me to do anything in a timely fashion because I’m a slacker

...I think I've heard this story before... :P

Seriously, though, is it just me, or are most of these dreams remarkably cohesive?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 pm

And here's Mimsy to disprove the above statement.

Last night, I dreamed of... very strange things. I really, really can't describe them here. It was like the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion crossed with the inside of Hell's Gate from Darker than Black crossed with the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey, all on even MORE heaping helpings of LSD. Suffice to say, it began with me trying to prevent an airplane from being hijacked by a Swiss banking clan, and ended with me turned into a piggy bank and forced to sit in a small child's - who was actually me, who was actually my grandfather - room, on a shelf, stuck inside an endlessly repeating timeloop that always ended with me being smashed and broken, unable to move or do anything to change what I already knew was going to happen. And I Must Scream ensued, until I used raw determination to rip my soul out of the piggy bank and possess my past future self - the child - and then, using his/my body to connect myself to some sort of cosmic space wedgie/energy field of all life or something, I brought an end to life and fate, destroying everything and replacing reality with a great white void upon which were painted the hopes and dreams of all Humanity, and within which Instrumentality took place. Evidently, this was a good thing, but I'm not exactly sure why. I think I might have been assimilated by Gendo Ikari at this point. At any rate, as my consciousness was subsumed into the assimilated collective of mankind, I vaguely recalled wanting a cheeseburger, but then I woke up before I could dream it into existence.
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Endless Sea on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm

That's still cohesive compared to what shreds and fragments I remember of my own dreams, which are too splintered to actually string together into a post. :/
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Adell on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Endless Sea wrote:That's still cohesive compared to what shreds and fragments I remember of my own dreams, which are too splintered to actually string together into a post. :/

Yeah, the fact that something is going on coherent enough to for them to write down pretty much never happens with me.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Seriously, though, is it just me, or are most of these dreams remarkably cohesive?

Well, I have two ways of responding to that:

1. I do tend to have remarkably vivid and cohesive dreams, from whatever quirk of my neurology that causes that.
2. I have been writing down my dreams, on and off, for many years. Over time I've gotten much better at processing them into something coherent, even when the dream itself was scattered and incohesive.

Anyway, lots from last night!

I was in an arcade. There was a vending machine that contained Ritter Sport bars and I decided to get one. They cost $0.35, but all I had was quarters and I was worried the machine would only accept exact change. I decided to try it anyway, but I accidentally pushed the wrong button and got a Cup of Noodles instead of a Ritter Sport bar, and then I was out of quarters.

And then a discontinuity before the next thing:

I was at Disneyland towards the end of the day, near the loading area for the Roger Rabbit ride. No one was on the ride, so cars were being dispatched without any riders. Every time I got close to the actual loading zone, another car departed, as if there were motion sensors that kept the ride moving in case of actual passengers. Eventually I decided that I would go on the ride one more time, despite it being one of the scarier Disneyland rides*, which made me hesitant to go on it as one of my last things that day when there was no one else around. I decided that I would go on Alice in Wonderland, another of the scarier rides, afterward**. I lived close enough to Disneyland that I could frequently go there when the crowds were very low and hit all the best rides with no lines.

I walked up to the loading zone and got into the next car that came through. They were small cars, barely big enough for one adult to sit in. I was pretty uncomfortable sitting on a little ledge with the lap bar hitting my knees. The car went around the loading area loop and into the first room, where there were computer screens for people to do activities, but that area was only for when the ride was crowded and they needed extra room to hold people while others moved through the ride proper. Since no one else was on the ride, I got to cut through a lot of filler that normally gets used. After a while my sister was with me. We reached the place where you get to choose one of the actual, fun activities that were part of the ride. Most of the time the ride was so crowded that only a small percentage of people got to do the best things, and everyone else experienced less impressive activities. I tried to find the one that involved building something, but wound up settling on one that involved hanging posters.

Two kids approached the machine I was using, on foot from another direction, and they started debating which activities they were going to do. There were four activities, each consisting of a team, and three of the teams only had one slot open, with the fourth having two slots open. I was surprised that the teams were mostly full at this late hour with so few riders. The kids who’d walked up started putting quarters in the machine, and I told them not to bother with that, because the activities were free. Then I realized that the activities might only be free to those who’d come from the ride, and if you approached on foot then maybe they charged you.

*Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is, in my opinion, the scariest ride at Disneyland. It's scarier than Snow White's Scary Adventure, and that ride has scary in the title! I didn't use the title Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin in the dream because I didn't think of the full title during the course of the dream, and in the dream the cars didn't spin so the title doesn't really apply.

**While Alice in Wonderland isn't particularly scary, it is certainly surreal. Many of my nightmares about Disneyland have featured twisted dream versions of that ride.

Okay and one more thing:

I was in a class that was let out, and I left the room and started going downstairs, only to realize that I’d left my backpack in the classroom. I went back upstairs and found that the classroom was completely full with another class in session, which seemed odd because I wouldn’t have thought there’d be time for another class to start in the brief period I’d been gone. Then I realized I was on the sixth floor, and had gone up too many stairs to get to my classroom. I went down to the fourth floor, but that classroom was dark, and I remembered that my classroom had been on the third floor, on the same level as the physics stockroom. I went down one more floor and found my classroom open with the professor still inside. She’d taken all the backpacks that students had forgotten and put them at the front of the classroom. She handed me one that she thought was mine, but it was dark blue, not black, and it contained clothes that I didn’t recognize, so it wasn’t mine. I found a black one and opened it, finding clothes that I recognized, and said “This one’s mine” and left.

On my way downstairs this time I passed a group of auditors who were in the process of renewing the school’s accreditation. I kind of hoped they’d stop me and talk to me but they didn’t.

I started walking back to the suites, passing the student center, where there was an area with a bunch of picnic tables. I kept seeing guys eating there who looked like Castiel, but it was just because they were wearing tan trench coats. As I passed a little farther, I came to an area where there were lots of restaurants, the equivalent of the gaslamp district in San Diego. Two of the restaurants had Mr. Administrator’s face displayed on their window, with the phrase, “Mr. Administrator approves of this dining establishment” or something to that effect. One of them was a coffee house, and the other was a sushi restaurant.

I decided to stop in the sushi restaurant. There were two sections, one inside and one outside. I started out sitting at the bar in the outside section but then decided that I wanted to move inside. I tried to figure out what I wanted to drink and the best idea I came up with was pineapple juice, and then I decided that I should get a virgin pina colada. While I was sitting at the table waiting for someone to take my order, my mom showed up. I was surprised to see her, but she said she’d decided I needed her help and had come right away. She started showing me a bunch of stuff she’d printed out from the internet that was relevant to my problem, which I believe involved some sort of demon who was going to burn me alive.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:53 pm

For some reason, a happy dream- going to Oz, and watching the main characters of Les Mis happily have fun, mess around, chill and prank each other in heaven. A funny moment was this: I think it was that Cosette and Marius were dancing to some loud music, when Javert came in with a pistol and yelled something like " STOP. LOUD MUSIC IS AGAINST THE LAW!" And Vajean and Fantine attacked him with chair legs, then the students came in and beat up Javert for being a stop having fun guy.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:03 pm

So last night I dreamed that I was somewhere which, according to the dream, was a cross between my cousins' backyard and my university campus (it looked more like a random backyard in the evening), chatting with a bunch of my cousins (when I woke up, I realized that this makes sense, because yesterday evening I saw a bunch of my cousins whom I hadn't seen in a while-- none of whom numbered amongst the cousins in the dream, of course).

Suddenly, one of my favourite teachers from high school came in, very upset, and insisted on speaking to me privately. He marched me inside to a strange, small, dimly-lit, carpeted room. He pulled aside a large armchair, first telling me that I wasn't allowed to sit in it, then changing that to ordering me to sit in it sideways (the arms didn't extend out very far, so this was possible), and he sat in another chair facing me. He was either very angry with me, or thought I was angry with him, and told me he would explain the situation by reading to me a sermon he had heard from a teacher of his, General Wolfe. He proceeded to read from printed sheets, some convoluted speech with multiple references to the execution of George Brown. (Note: this might make almost-sense if he had been a history teacher. However, his areas of expertise had absolutely nothing to do with history, Canadian or otherwise. Also, considering Wolfe predated Brown by about a century, and Brown was never executed, the existence of this speech is highly improbable.)

He was just finishing the speech, and about to explain the relevance/ get to the point about why he was angry, when I woke up.

Frustrated by that lack of closure, I went back to sleep, hoping to return to the dream (this sometimes works). When I returned, the dream seemed to have "rewound" to when I was chatting outside with my cousins (though we were clearly now in a different-looking backyard). I complimented my youngest cousin on her hair, which was straightened in the front and curled in the back, and she complimented mine, even though there was nothing special/unusual about it.

Then my teacher showed up again, and this time, I decided to be proactive and get to the bottom of things, in case I didn't have long to finish the dream. To explain matters to him, I told him that I'd just been getting good costume advice from my cousin and his girlfriend. My cousin backed me up on this, though he added with regret that my university was too far from his girlfriend's house to be in proper walking distance.

My teacher was just about to respond, and explain why he was angry with me--

--when my sister woke me up, so I never found out.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Hm. Last night I had a dream that my sister dragged me to some short, boring talk. At the end of the talk were announcements, one of which was that there was DEFINITELY NOT a new month party / continuation to the talk at a location across the city (confusingly, with the same name as the place we were, according to the dream).

I assumed that my sister would want to go to that, but by the time I got outside, she was nowhere in sight, so my uncle offered me a lift. I gladly accepted, and when we arrived, there was still no sign of my sister. Hesitant to let me go in alone, my uncle was going to accompany me into the building, but after taking a few steps outside, he realized he had to go to work. So I handed him his sweater (which I suddenly realized I was holding) and he sent my oldest cousin (who, I am certain, had not been with us a moment before) in with me instead.

Inside, I found my sister talking to her favourite teacher. I was momentarily surprised to see that teacher there, since she lives across the world, but assumed that she'd been brought in as a guest speaker for this event. I wanted to tell my sister that I was annoyed at her disappearing like that, and while I was waiting to speak to her, I noticed that I was underdressed for the event-- I was dressed nicely, but everyone else was wearing evening dresses.

"You could have told me," I complained to my sister.

"What are you talking about?" she asked. "I never tell you anything." I agreed that this was a reasonable excuse, although I pointed out another time when we had supposedly been going to a similar party, and she told me to wear a dress.

We went to a light dinner, with all the places set out in plastic plates and cutlery. I was getting increasingly anxious as my sister was just standing around while all the seats were getting taken, so finally I sat down at the last empty seat, and my sister sat beside me (even though someone's stuff was already there). I noticed, to my irritation, that everyone's plate had a roll on it except for mine, so I grabbed a roll from a setting where no one was sitting.

I asked my sister to pass me a yoghurt, but while she was passing it to me, someone was telling me a story about somebody who had bought yoghurt but was unable to eat it because he didn't have the right registration code for the yoghurt, and I was very concerned that the same thing would happen to me.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm

I had two unusual dreams last night/this morning. In the first, I was wandering about my school's auction, when I came across some of the guests and school staff discussing some of the RP's on this forum. After listening in further, it turned out that Mrs. Fuss, the school's administrative assistant, was actually Eli. Before I could react, however, I was roused by the discordant blaring of my alarm clock. I turned it off, and went back upstairs to go back to sleep.

The second was equally odd, if not more so. In it, a random African-American man (who my subconscious said was an actor) was talking to a disembodied voice. The voiced asked him what he was afraid of, and the man gave an answer. Then the view shifted to a nearby television, and continued to zoom in, each screen revealing another screen with another image on it. I couldn't move my body, but once I blinked, I woke up.

Weird. I don't usually remember my dreams.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm

:?

It was the Avatar world. But it worked according to Codex Alera's rules. Something was happening, and everyone was moving towards the Earth Kingdom Capital. Natural disasters and such I suppose. It wasn't really defined in-dream.

Shortly after that, everyone is getting close to the city. And there are now airships, in the best TTGL style, patrolling the skies and investigating what was happening. Not much going on, until a sudden announcement starts broadcasting everywhere. It's Mr. A talking about how little time there is left, and that everyone should enjoy their last moments...

But he's not in the void during that transmission. He's in a crappy hotel room, and Slenderman is in the background. But there's no image distortion there, just the fact that the camera is bad and the lighting is worse to obscure him. Scene cut, and now Slenderman is on land, leading the Vord from Codex Alera in total slaughter of everyone alive. The dream ends there, with Slender in the same room as my PoV (I wasn't an actual character in the dream, just a observer). I'm looking at him, and the image begins to tear and granulate as my eyes open on my bed. Very nice fade-to-awake there. :) I'm just sad for Slender... Working for Mr. A and all... I don't think he ever gets paid for his service. XD
Last edited by Pixelmage on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm

I dreamed that I found out that ECCC had been in Toronto, and I was very upset at having wasted my weekend not being there, when there were so many awesome people and things at it I'd have liked to have seen. Then I googled it to be sure, and found it had been in New York, so I felt somewhat comforted.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Next to the freeway there was a big store with a bunch of signs advertising sales and events, trying to get people to stop there. I would normally pass right by a place like that, but my dad wanted to buy Halloween decorations. Even though I love Halloween, I was embarrassed by the casual admittance that we were shopping for Halloween decorations so far in advance of Halloween, and I would much rather maintain the air that we were just browsing and happened to find some Halloween things that we liked.

A year or so before, I had stopped at that very store during an antiques show. On that occasion, not knowing anything about antiques, I had asked a question about a pair of porcelain dolls, and the shopkeeper had gained the impression that I was a doll enthusiast, and asked me about my doll collection and my doll related passions, and I had been caught off guard and had no idea how to respond, because I really don’t know anything about dolls whatsoever.

My dad and I went around to the area where they kept the Halloween decorations. He liked a witch’s hat that hung from the ceiling and spun when a motion sensor went off. I thought it wasn’t terribly effective because you couldn’t really see it spinning, since it was radially symmetrical. My dad bought it anyway.

And then:

I was going on vacation with a group of friends. I didn’t know them very well and was only really friends with one of them. To get to our hotel, we took a train. It was a shuttle train specifically for the hotel, and we were the only ones on it. The train went over a lake, the track level with the water, and the platform for the hotel was at the end of a loop around the lake. We got our room, which contained five beds, and there were six of us. We hadn’t discussed sleeping arrangements before arriving at the hotel, and before I could adjust to my new environment, all the beds had been claimed. I would have to either ask someone to give up having their own bed and let me share, or find some other place to sleep. I explored the rest of the hotel room but there didn’t seem to be a couch or other viable option.

I went back down to the hotel lobby to collect my luggage, but the hotel security anti-terrorism task force had opened it. I had lots of ice cream in my luggage. I knew it probably wouldn’t keep until I could get it into the hotel freezer, but I figured it was worth taking on the off-chance that it might keep long enough. Besides, I also brought frozen cookie dough, which was meant to be thawed before it was eaten, so I knew it would be all right if I couldn’t keep that cold. Apparently, though, bringing all this ice cream into a hotel was considered suspicious. The woman in charge of the anti-terrorism task force spoke to me, asking me why I needed so much ice cream. I explained that I just thought it would be nice to have ice cream to share with my friends. One of the containers had broken open, which was particularly concerning to the security team, but I said that the container had failed during transport as sometimes containers do, and obviously I didn’t need it anymore.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I had a dream last night that I was reading through the forum archives and found a post I'd made which surprised me because a) it was completely off-topic, and b) it gave WAY too much detail about personal/ Rule 6 stuff. Then I decided that since nobody had had a problem with it, I would make another one of that style.

I woke up in a panic that these posts actually existed. Fortunately, they don't.

There was ice cream involved in the dream, too, but I'm not quite sure how.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:36 pm

I have some TWWF-related dreams to share with you all. This first one is only tangentially so.

I was in the elevator in my building, going down to the ground floor. There was some sort of glitch, and the elevator stopped all the way down in the basement, where there was no exit. The elevator door was of the grate kind you see in old movies, so I could see as I passed each floor.

In the basement there was a man who had been created in a similar manner to Frankenstein’s monster, known to us as Adam, but the guy in the basement was a different person to the one we knew. Still, he was friendly, and when he saw that I was stuck in the basement he wanted to help, so he tried to lift the elevator up by himself. He tried a few different ways, but the one that worked was using one finger pressed against the edge of the elevator ceiling and pushing the elevator up from just that one point. Unfortunately, this didn’t work past the point where the ceiling of the elevator went higher than the ledge separating the basement from the first floor. It took him a little while to figure out a method to lift the elevator partway, then readjust and continue lifting it from another point, but eventually he got it to work.

I ascended to the first floor, but instead of being inside a building, I was out in the open air. I could see the blue sky around me on all sides, because I guess the elevator was made out of glass. I was wondering where the building had gone and how I was going to leave when there was nothing TO leave, when there was a voiceover narration. It was in the first person and told from my perspective, but I didn’t really understand what it was saying until it was done. “He lifted me up into the clear blue sky. The enchantress’ eternal rainstorm was nowhere to be found. It was beautiful. However, it only lasted a short time. Her spell caught up with me, and the sky darkened with rain.” Then, like an effect in a video game that is meant to be spontaneous but which spreads over the screen bit by bit, dark clouds and rain appeared everywhere that had previously been light blue sky. I knew that I was in a land cursed by an evil enchantress to have a neverending rainstorm, and presumably I was a character in this story who would have to find some way to stop her.

When I woke up I posted this dream to the forum, and noted that in the dream I was in Pomona, whereas in real life I was staying with my parents in Santa Cruz just then.

Note: That bit at the end was a False Awakening, and I am not, in fact, staying in Santa Cruz at the moment.

TWWF had been a far more traditional multiplayer video game than it was in real life. We’d still had the forum and stuff, but most of the action in the game took place in a computer program with 3D graphics and enemies and special attacks and whatnot. When I'd first downloaded the game, I hadn’t been able to play it because I just couldn’t figure out how to get it started. It had taken me a while to realize that there was something supposed to happen that wasn’t working for me, and I probably wouldn’t have figured it out except that people on the forums were talking about the game in ways that didn’t make sense to me, talking about doing things and fighting people and what do you think of this character, when I couldn’t get past the start screen. Eventually I’d got it going, but with a few days’ delay that I never fully recovered from.

When you started the game, you were dumped into a hole and slid down into the main area, passing a few enemies, such as one guy who’d attack you with ice, on the way. I played as a witch who could fly on her broomstick, which made entering the hole a very different experience, and I’d pretty much bypassed the ice guy and other annoying holdups on my way down every time. When flying, I would stay airborne until I touched something, whether by crashing into something or getting hit by an attack. At that point I’d have to stay grounded until I could get my broom back into the air, which took a bit of work. I always tried to stay flying for as long as I possibly could.

The main area was like a giant cavern, with platforms and walkways and alcoves that the players used for bases or where NPCs were stationed for whatever they were up to. I flew over to one alcove to watch the last episode of Arrested Development. It worked out to be still part of the game, and I could interact with the characters and they knew about other things that were going on in the game, but it was also a TV show I was watching. The episode opened with Crowley and a character played by Catherine Tate who was centuries old and had a romantic history with Crowley. I thought to myself, “I’d forgotten they were in this!” It was nice to see Mark Sheppard and Catherine Tate on screen together. The two of them directed me to a father-daughter team in another alcove who were plotting something. I wasn’t entirely sure what was going on with the father-daughter pair. They were definitely magical, and I thought they might have been gods. They wouldn’t give away their true identities, or let me know what they were up to.

Towards the end there, I got Arrested Development mixed up with Supernatural mixed up with The Office (US version), and there may have also been some Doctor Who in there because Catherine Tate and Mark Sheppard have both been in Doctor Who, though never in the same episode.

This next bit wasn't TWWF related but I thought it was amusing.

I was at Comic-Con, walking through the exhibit hall. They’d set up a twisty, turney sort of construct where you had to walk in a winding path past everything just to get from one end to the other. Most of what was for sale was loads of T-shirts. I kept an eye out when I passed comics racks because I wanted to find Squee, but I didn’t see the first issue anywhere. I found some sort of Squee supplemental, but I didn’t want to get that when I hadn’t read the rest of Squee.

At the very end of the exhibit hall was the official Comic-Con store, where they sold things to raise money for the convention. They had a lot of leftover items from previous years, going back to the time when fighting to keep our ability to own VHS copies of comic movies was a primary motivating factor for Comic-Con.

I looked around a bit. They had special edition DVDs, which came in boxes as big as posters. There was a copy of The Cabin in the Woods, and I would have loved to buy it but couldn’t justify that because I already owned The Cabin in the Woods. They did have another Joss Whedon movie there, presumably The Avengers but I don’t actually remember. I considered buying that one. A real-life friend was also browsing the store, and heard me as I read from a giant DVD case, “Producer: John Linnell.” He reacted in surprise at hearing a They Might Be Giants member credited as a producer on a film, and he and I looked more closely, and saw that it was actually “John Linini*.” I mangled the pronunciation the first time I tried to read it, but my friend got it right.

I then said something like “Oh well, nobody cares about producers anyway.” My friend was surprised to hear me say that, and I told him about the time that I met Steven Moffat and Sue Vertue and I’d gushed over Steven Moffat and mostly ignored his wife, but she didn’t seem to mind, because after all she’d only produced the shows that he’d actually written. However, I did such a terrible job telling the story that my wandered off in boredom.

*John Linini is a made-up name, unlike John Linnell, who is a real person.

Note: While dreaming, I mixed up the details about meeting Steven Moffat. Sue Vertue was not with him at the time, the woman who'd been with him was Julie Gardner, another BBC producer, but at the time when I met them I thought she was Sue Vertue, and I was too busy gushing over Steven Moffat to pay much attention to the woman who was, after all, only a producer.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:53 pm

3 Very odd dreams:
-I finally got TF2 to work, and was happily playing. But that will never happen again in real life now. :(
- Mum died as an actual spy. I cried.
- A Scorpion came into my bedroom to attack me but then I ran out and it got bigger until mum picked it up and threw it out of the window. My Horoscope/Western Zodiac/Constellation/ thingamijig whatchamacallit/ is Scorpio. Coincidence?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Endless Sea on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:59 pm

I just had a dream about waking up, doing a bunch of stuff, and then going back to sleep. :|

And that's your horoscope for today.
Endless Sea

Postby Scarab on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey, guess who finally had a TWWF related dream? Alas I have forgotten a lot of it, because I didn't write it down properly :( which is a shame.

We were inside a building rather like my university block, some mostly orange and blue place called The Gateway Building IRL, except it looked if it had been stretched into a reeeeeally simple Persona 4 dungeon (so basically half of this dream can probably be blamed on Adell ? :?). I think we were mostly, but not all TWWF people (it was like they were meant to be you guys, but since I don't know what most of you LOOK like my imagination went a little nuts making stuff up) Sooo yeah, we were doing a dungeon run of some kind through my university, aaand Sicon was directing us through a kid of audio walkie talkie system in our brains. Or trying to direct us because we kept cutting out (So yeah, I had Persona 4 on the brain last night, I reckon.)

The only people I knew for CERTAIN in there were Pixel, Eli and Qara. The latter two of whom were talking about... something, I forget now, but they seemed to be very deep in discussion about how important it was (which is probably how I knew it was them). Pixel kept going on ahead even though I told him not to and I got annoyed with him and he just said it was important and we had to let him. I remember thinking he was being dumb (sorry Pix, you're not really dumb :P ) for scaring us but still it was kind of sweet that he wanted to check on ahead for us :P. (Thinking on it maybe THAT'S why we kept losing contact with Sicon: because Pixel kept going out of range... or something. I dunno it was a dream it doesn't make sense).

I don't know exactly what happened, but a room that looked like a modern gallery exploded, and Sicon started yelling at us all for not following instructions or something like that, and I remember feeling REALLY BAD because we had totally screwed up and somehow we'd caused something really bad to happen... I actually remember him sasying 'well I hope you're happy because now we're screwed.'

I don't remember much else. I wish I did >.<
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Hmmmm...

Candyman coming from all 4 sides of the room, and Norman Bates, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger and Ghostface leaping to my defense and battling him and defeating him.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Endless Sea on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Why the "hmmmmmm"?
Endless Sea

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic