The General Video Gaming Thread

Anything goes.

Re: The General Video Gaming Thread

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:08 pm

So I've played a Nuzlocke run of Pokemon LeafGreen. This is my report on it.

... I'm not impressed.

Okay, okay. Explanations are in order. In my first attempt I made it amazingly far: Whiteout at Brock's gym. As per the self-imposed rules of Nuzlocke, that means game over. My initial idea that it would be trivially easy to clear the game was crushed. Did I remember it wrong? Sure, it's not Emerald (which I cleared easily with using the kung-fu chicken almost exclusively), but I never thought the games were hard.

Cue lost Mankey and a Charmander that couldn't Metal Claw hard enough to beat Brock. Suddenly I couldn't progress at all and had to take a game over and start again.

Great A'Tuin--- err... Squirtle this time, and Brock was no longer an issue. The same problems that hit me the first time around appeared again. I lost a chance at catching a Pokemon because of an outgoing critical hit and I was thinking that the whole game would be this struggle to build a team and keep it. It didn't help when I lost both Fearow and Pidgey early to annoying Rival battles. >_< (Didn't have anyone that would be able to use the HM Fly and couldn't go back and grab a replacement), but that was still far ahead in the future. For now I have to dance around Misty and Surge, and it's a struggle... Always scared of making a mistake and driving myself to a dead end...

Then the flipping point arrived. Lavander Town, Rocket Hideout, Sliph Co., Koga and Sabrina. Butterfree simply sweeped everything. At this point I was the next best thing to invincible, even if my levels were lopsided. Sabrina couldn't handle my Sunglasses-wearing Blastoise's Bite. And Blaine never had a chance against Surf.

Then I got careless. Stupid Weezing. >_< Three Island's rider gang poison killed Butterfree. Now, this is the key point. This was frustrating. Yes, it was my fault. A little bit of extra caution and that wouldn't have happened. But outside of the frustration, I realized... In terms of playing the game, I wasn't actually set back at all. My Victreebel was ready to return to the active team and effectively made for a more rounded lineup. In fact, I immediately rushed to and past Giovanni, took care of the Rival battle on the way to Indigo Plateau and arrived at the lobby. No grinding. I had just lost my then-strongest Pokemon and still managed to reach the end stage without fumbling or losing anyone along the way.

Right now my Save is at the door to the Elite 4. Blastoise, Sandslash, Dodrio, Victreebel, Ninetales and Haunter. I still have 14 Pokemon in the PC, including a Magikarp (Readily available Gyarados), Lapras (for Lance-killing), Snorlax, Graveler and Tentacool, if I need a strong defense of some sort. And I never went to the Power Plant (and still have the Master Ball), in case I decide I need an electric type OR feel like catching Zapdos (Repel spam + Master Ball).

Why am I saying all of this? Because it contradicts what I expected of a Nuzlocke! No, right now I can't beat the Elite 4. As my levels are, I can take on each of them individually - but I don't have enough items to recover the significant wear and tear I'd take between each fight. And admittedly, at my levels I might not have the raw force necessary to take down the Champion. So I have two options - Grind or whiteout. And that's... Not what I expected.

Se, the idea I had about Nuzlocking was that it's supposed to invoke hard choices, make each battle matter. On one front, yes, I get that. I'm still pissed at letting Butterfree die. >_< But while that emotional reaction is a valid way of raising the stakes... Mechanically, it did nothing.

I'm supposed to run around with a handful Pokemon, scrapping together a badass team out of whatever I can catch... That's meant to go hand in hand with the faint death rule in order to make each individual Pokemon irreplaceable... And yet I still have hordes. Early game, it works. Fail to catch on the first handful of routes, you're doomed. Lose anyone early due to a critical when you don't have an HP pool to roll with the punches, you're doomed. But once you're past the initial uphill and have more than just wet tissue HP and a reasonable party coverage... Well... The only things that can actually stop you are player front mistakes - don't switch out when you should, take on fights with the wrong type or at a severe level disadvantage... Accounting for that, the limiting rules of the Nuzlocke don't make for much of a limiter, the major thing they generated for me wasn't "challenge", it was just "frustration."

:( RIP Butterfree.

EDIT: 14 Pokemon in the PC, not 18. That was typo. /UnableToMathToday
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:04 am

After almost a year of absence, I got back into TF2 again, now with new skills from Borderlands 2.

That is all.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:13 pm

Oh right we have a gaming thread. Uh, let's see here.

HAWKEN is an FPS mech game I'm doing with the broteam now. Mimsy taught me how to play Guns of Icarus a couple months back, so that's also a thing. Sometimes we drag Rational Thought into a game of Magicka 1, although it's been a while since the last time we did that. I've been convinced to play Guild Wars 2 with them, but I've never actually booted up the game. Sicon doesn't want us to start playing Torchlight until the entire broteam is around so all of us can be completely at a loss as to how to play at once (I've played a port of Diablo 1 in the Wings of Liberty arcade, so I might have slightly more of an idea of what to do than the others?). Same sort of situation with KotOR, although the three of us have a bit more experience with that. We've stopped playing TOR and Vindictus and Tera altogether, as far as I can tell. I still play Warframe, but only sporadically- I've been getting really burned out lately- and Dryu gets on semi-regularly, but the rest of clan Bros Against the World is mostly inactive. I dunno what's going on with Minecraft. I still only barely know how to play.

There's a bunch of other games not related to other people that I've yet to try- Dead Space 2, Bastion and Transistor, the Portal series (although I notice 2 has multiplayer), FTL, Ground Zeroes, stuff like Castle Crashers and Monaco that only works out well with multiple players, and a bunch of other stuff. I've been trying Final Fantasy VII and the Marathon trilogy lately, and they seem pretty fun. I've also attempted to get the hang of Wings of Liberty again, although I have yet to acquire Heart of the Swarm or get around to messing with Heroes of the Storm.

Whew. So much stuff I wanna do, so little that I actually get done. :/
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Anura on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:04 pm

So I got Undertale. I guess I'll play it sometime soon. Apparently it's like the Earthbound of the current age.
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:50 pm

A friend of mine's been telling me about it. It seems kinda stupid, tbh.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Anura on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:34 pm

It can be pretty silly at times. The second arc is pretty goofy, mainly because of the character of the week you have to deal with. It's all in good fun though, and the characters are all genuinely likeable (except that asshole flower).

I've actually found myself stumbling ass-backwards into doing a pacifist run on my first go simply because I like all the monsters too much to kill them. That and I like the way it turns every single enemy into a Puzzle Boss. I was originally going for the neutral ending, but y'know what, fuck it. No-one has to get hurt in this game, and I don't want to hurt anyone.
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:18 am

Meh.

On a completely different note, what.
Endless Sea

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:07 am

TF2 is going quite well.

1. I can actually snipe for beans.
2. I have discovered that I am now fantastic at Heavy. This resulted in a particularly funny moment where me and my Tomislav, a F2P with the Huo Long Heater and a Medic pushed the Payload cart while steamrolling the defense on Upward, with the rest of the team being busy with their own gun battles.
3. 2/9 dream hats down! :gurt:
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 am

Endless Sea wrote:On a completely different note, what.

Ooh, I am intrigued!

And I get paid tomorrow, too.

Given what it's like to play The Stanley Parable, I'm guessing The Beginner's Guide is best experienced with no prior conceptions of what kind of things happen in it, hence the website providing very little in the way of information.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:51 pm

This should be fun.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Endless Sea on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:01 am

This trailer is a thing.

And yes, the game is out now.
Endless Sea

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:51 am

I have played (and completed!) the game and it is very good and i like it
eli_gone_crazy

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:26 pm

I have played it and found it emotionally intense and I'm still processing it.

By the way, when I talk about video games as an art form, this is exactly the kind of thing I envision.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby IslaKariese on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 pm

This... makes me sad, actually. I would unload all my questions and emotions here, but the game's still new and spoilers are still a thing.

It makes me ache, though.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 pm

IslaKariese wrote:This... makes me sad, actually. I would unload all my questions and emotions here, but the game's still new and spoilers are still a thing.

Feel free to PM me anytime :D I loved it so much
eli_gone_crazy

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:
IslaKariese wrote:This... makes me sad, actually. I would unload all my questions and emotions here, but the game's still new and spoilers are still a thing.

Feel free to PM me anytime :D I loved it so much

Ooh, or me! I would love to talk about it with somebody.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Anura on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 pm

So, I downloaded Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord for DOS. It's pretty much the granddaddy of computer RPGs of both the western and Japanese varieties, and it's interesting to see where my favourite genre started from.

Also, di immortales this game is brutal. You can't afford any mistakes at all. I'm also not a huge fan of getting a random amount of bonus stat points for each character you make; I spent a good 15 minutes constantly cancelling characters just to get more than 10 points.

Do you guys think I should keep using online maps, or go the whole hog and make my own maps with graph paper as was originally intended?
Anura

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 pm

If you're in the water, go for a dive. 8D

I salute you for even getting it in the first place. Running old games can be nearly impossible because of terrible interfaces and all that. I'm not that brave.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Victin on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:45 pm

I just read about this game in Wikipedia and, well, I wish you luck. A lot of luck. Or that you have the same ideal of fun as Dwarf Fortress players.

(is that a Percy Jackson reference, by the way?)
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:37 pm

So does anyone have any thoughts on Soma? I'm in the middle of Markiplier's walkthrough, but it looks a little weird.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:19 pm

IslaKariese wrote:So does anyone have any thoughts on Soma? I'm in the middle of Markiplier's walkthrough, but it looks a little weird.

It's amazing and I love it.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Anura on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:54 pm

I managed to hit every ending of Undertale, although I backed out of the Genocide ending just after killing the extra boss at the end of that route. I'd gotten what I wanted there: one hell of a boss fight. I'm now looking into the W.D. Gaster character, which is a pretty intriguing mystery, especially given the game's meta nature.

And on Wizardry, I stupidly threw away an item I needed to get out of the room I was currently in, and don't feel like raising a new group of adventurers to haul out my old ones. So that didn't last. :lol:
Anura

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 am

Has anyone been following Tales From The Borderlands recently?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Anura on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:20 pm

I still don't have Omega Ruby yet! Hell, I don't even have HeartGold yet! SLOW DOWN, NINTENDO.
Endless Sea

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic