Fan Fictions

Anything goes.

Fan Fictions

Postby TheJester on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Discuss the Fan Fiction basically. It is well known how popular the idea has gotten to be in the last twenty years. Some authors find it to be an engaging way of potential writers immersing themselves in the stories they read and taking that one leap forward to success. Others believe it to be plagiarism and selfishness derived from a wish that the story be changed to fit their idea of what it should be.

So please, discuss it. How many Fan Fic's have you written (If any) and what were they about?
TheJester

Re: Fan Fictions

Postby Scarab on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Well given that we saved the world by WRITING fanfiction I'd say most of us have an opinion on it. :lol: I'm actually surprised this topic hasn't come up sooner (it hasn't has it? We aren't just rehashing an old topic here, are we?)

It IS very much a victim of Sturgeon's Law, of course, but then what isn't? I have read some fantastic fanfiction that can easily rival professional original works. I think fanfiction is the way in which people continue their own experiences with a medium, engage with others, and explore the worlds created by others. Sometimes you get some really original imaginings out of it.

Of course other times that backfires... I remember hearing a very sad story about an author who was very willing to engage with her fans and appreciated and read fanfiction, until one day a fan totally coincidentally managed to produce a fan story that was VERY similar to the plot of a book she was currently writing. She contacted said fanficcer and mentioned this, offering a credit for the ideas in the book itself. The fan did... well she didn't react very well, and became very combative about it. Incidents like this explain a lot of authors really won't read fanfiction of their work, whether they accept it or not.

I think I'd like to create a universe people wanted to explore like that, although I might not agree with other peoples interpretations, it's really interesting to see HOW an audience's interpretation varies from that of the creator, and everyone engages with fiction in their own personal way. Everyone sees things the way they personally want to see them, and they usually view things according to their own perceptions, hence such tropes as 'Draco in Leather Pants' and 'Ron the Death Eater'. (Fitting that Harry Potter has one of the largest fanfic collections on what fanficcers refer to as "the pit".)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 pm

I've written a Wreck it Ralph fanfiction, a Team Fortress 2 Fanfiction in Progress and a dead Rise of the Guardians fanfiction on Fanfiction.Net, under my pen name The Wild West Pyro. WARNING: ALL THE FANFICS HAVE SWEARING. SORRY ABOUT THAT, CHAPS.

Genndy has an account too.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:09 pm

I mostly avoid fan fiction. But Mr. Aministrator made me write a bunch of it to save the world. :|
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Like Dilly, I generally try to keep away from fanfics. I write only the manliest of manfiction.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 pm

I, too, have an account on FF.net. It's my little hub of sorts. Username: BluFox15.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby JRPictures on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Like Dilly, I generally try to keep away from fanfics. I write only the manliest of manfiction.

Manfiction?

Sounds very manly.

Anyways I don't read fan fiction but I know how strange it can be

After all I wrote two pieces of fan fiction for this ARG and they were fun to write in my opinion.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Krika on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:44 am

I have found some very good pieces of fanfiction online, and I do enjoy reading them (since generally I don't have immediate access to a library when I want to read something).
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 am

Written a few pieces of Bionicle fanfic in the past, but they were all either terribly rushed, of horrible quality, or both. I'd like to say there's an exception or three, but I've been really horrible at getting writing done these days... :/
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:51 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:I've written a Wreck it Ralph fanfiction, a Team Fortress 2 Fanfiction in Progress and a dead Rise of the Guardians fanfiction on Fanfiction.Net, under my pen name The Wild West Pyro. WARNING: ALL THE FANFICS HAVE SWEARING. SORRY ABOUT THAT, CHAPS.

Genndy has an account too.

And while I don't actually write any, I'm a pretty good judge of quality, so most of the fanfics that I have in my oft-shifting favorites section are pretty swell.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby TheJester on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Boy oh boy, and all I got to show for it is an unfinished Negima Fan-Fic and an MLP fan-fic. XD

You guys really go at it with the fan fiction.
TheJester

Postby SpiritfChaos on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm not sure if you can write fanfiction about something which doesn't have much of a plot to begin with, but if that does count, then I'm writing a webcomic that is loosely based on Minecraft.
I'm just a guy who wants to help save the world.
SpiritfChaos

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:55 pm

SpiritfChaos wrote:I'm not sure if you can write fanfiction about something which doesn't have much of a plot to begin with, but if that does count, then I'm writing a webcomic that is loosely based on Minecraft.

It should be interesting, because the awesome thing about Minecraft is that ANYTHING can happen.

So go ahead and try it! I would like to see some of it.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Lordxana0 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:48 pm

So I am working on a new RWBY based fanfiction

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9742293/1/Fall-from-Grace

Check it out if you would like. I am giving it my all and it is pretty good I think.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Scarab on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:14 pm

SpiritfChaos wrote:I'm not sure if you can write fanfiction about something which doesn't have much of a plot to begin with, but if that does count, then I'm writing a webcomic that is loosely based on Minecraft.

I dunno, there appears to be Yogscast fanfiction dancing around out there, so somebody clearly managed to make SOMETHING of it... If there's one thing I've learned from TWWF, it's that you don't have to give fans a lot to drive them crazy.

I join you in this Minecraft themed endeavour, Spirit, in the form of a webcomic my friend and I are working on. These are some roughs of the early pages (the drawing in these images is usually but not exclusively hers, colouring and script is usually but not exclusively mine.)

Image Image Image
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:43 pm

So a bit back I wrote a fanfiction that I am actually rather proud of based in the world of RWBY, a comedy of sorts that borders on crack at some parts.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10717801/1 ... atchmakers

I would love to hear thoughts on it.
Lordxana0

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm doing a Borderlands fanfic based on the ending of the Pre-Sequel (SPOILERS).
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Lordxana0 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:13 am

I wish I understood my muse sometimes. I don't really have any explanation behind this one, but am still posting it because well. I don't know.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11432157/1 ... vity-Falls
Lordxana0

Return to Off Topic