Movie Competition

Anything goes.

Movie Competition

Postby TheJester on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:40 am

It's no secret that over these past couple years movies have gotten into little competitions. This has actually been happening for a long time but are now apparently becoming more frequent. By these "competitions" I mean two different studios produce movies in the same year with extremely similar plot lines in order to best one another.

In 2009 There were competing End-Of-The-World movies. The first being Knowing by Alex Proyas (The Crow, I, Robot) and the other being 2012 by Roland Emmerich (Godzilla, Stargate). While both were close, 2012 beat out Knowing in critical reception and box office.

2010 saw a competition in Buddy-Cop Comedy movies Cop Out by Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma) and The Other Guys by Adam McKay (Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby). The Other Guys not only received a more positive reception but also outgrossed Cop Out.

Back in 2011 we had Friends-with-Benefits Romantic Comedies. The first movie was No Strings Attached by Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters, Dave), with the second being Friends With Benefits by Will Gluck (Fired Up!, Easy A). Friends With Benefits got a more positive reception by critics and outgrossed No Strings Attached.

In 2012 we had Mirror Mirror by Tarsem Singh (The Fall, Immortals) and Snow White and the Huntsman by Rupert Sanders. While both movies were very close competitors and the result was equally close, SWATH outgrossed Mirror Mirror, but Mirror Mirror received better attention from critics.

In 2013 the plot hit action/Washington DC movies with Olympus Has Fallen by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, Brooklyn's Finest) and White House Down by Roland Emmerich (Independence Day, The Patriot). It was clear that White House Down had received more positive attention from critics, however, White House Down was a box office failure and Olympus Has Fallen heavily outgrossed it.

2014 is also proving to continue the competition tradition. This time they are tackling the Heracles/Hercules myth. 2014 will first see the movie The Legend of Hercules by Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2, The Long Kiss Goodnight). Later on in the year (Second Quarter) we will see Hercules: The Thracian Wars by Brett Ratner (Rush Hour, Tower Heist).

I won't lie, I love to see Movie studios fight to the death like this and I hope this happens every year. Being the Cinephile I am, I will definitely be checking out both at release. Although this has happened way before 2012, it seems to become a now yearly thing. I was wondering what you guys think about this and whether there are any other Movie enthusiasts here that will see these two upcoming demigods?
TheJester

Return to Off Topic