Space... The Final Frontier - ASBS Idea

Anything goes.

Space... The Final Frontier - ASBS Idea

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:28 pm

These are the voyages of the starship Metaguardian - its five year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life, and new civilizations, and to hilariously explode like no man has exploded before.

So, show of hands, people. Who here is a fan of Star Trek? Alright, how about this. Who here would be interesting in joining Sicon and I in crewing a starship and doing hilarious livestream shenanigans as we fumble our way about and try not to die horribly?

The link to information about the game in question is here. Open it if you so choose.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... eSimulator
"The Apocalypse is basically just a tutorial." - Sicon112.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
"UNIVERSE-BREAKING EPILEPSY RAVE!" - AMimsyBorogove
AMimsyBorogove

Re: Space... The Final Frontier - ASBS Idea

Postby Scarab on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:33 pm

...Comms position open? I kinda like the sound of this game. :)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Alright, then! Our current roster is as follows.

Sicon - Captain
Mimsy - Helmsman
Scarab - Communications.

Just three more! Mention it to me if you're interested.

"Due to the ambiguity of this wording, I am unable to determine whether or not I am the leader of the X-Men!"
AMimsyBorogove

Postby Krika on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Right, so I don't have the money to get the game myself, but I would be interested in the Engineering or Science position.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:55 pm

I'd like to play, but I have no idea which spot I'd take. I think I fail spot checks too often for the remaining roles. :/
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Anura on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

This sounds interesting... but unfortunately, I have no means of voice communication or livestreaming.
Anura

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Some of us would do the livestream, but lack of a mic is a problem.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Since it's kinda related, here's the link to that other space game I told Mimsy about.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... eStation13

UPD: Due to timezones, I might be less available than the others, but I can fill the Weapons department if no one else steps up, just so that I can say "Battlecruiser operational" with a proper accent. :gurt:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:42 am

Yes. Dryu, you MUST be the weapons officer. The legacy of Chekov demands it! (Well, technically, he was the navigator, but he manned the weapons several times, if memory suffices.)

Also, Krika, if we do this, I'll probably buy six copies of the game and distribute them to those who are interested, like with Guns of Icarus. So, our roster is currently as follows.

Sicon: Captain
Scarab: Communications
Mimsy: Helmsman
Dryunya: Weapons
Krika: Engineer or Science, whichever.
Endless: Whichever Krika doesn't take, maybe?

AMimsyBorogove

Postby Scarab on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:10 am

I am genuinely excited about this, we're gonna be OFFICERS :D

AMimsyBorogove wrote:so, Krika, if we do this, I'll probably buy six copies of the game and distribute them to those who are interested, like with Guns of Icarus. So, our roster is currently as follows

We can pay you for that, right? Got a paypal or something I can send to?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sophira on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 am

Are there any openings left?

[edit: Aww, looks like there's only Admiral left, but since there's only one ship I doubt that's going to be open. Dang. :(]

[edit 2: BTW, I should point out a big problem with this - the Captain isn't supposed to have any workstation, but is supposed to be able to sit in the centre of the room and presumably at least be able to see glimpses of the screens and, I assume, a visual view. If we did it this way, the Captain would presumably *only* be able to communicate via voice, and would have no visuals. Is that correct?]
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby AMimsyBorogove on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Indeed, which is why Sicon is the captain and I the helmsman. At least that way he'll be able to see my screen and determine the positions of things relative to it.

As for paying me, I appreciate the offer, but as I don't have paypal, that won't be possible. Besides, it isn't really necessary. I'm willing to dole out a little cash now and again to play silly games with my friends. XD

As for extra spots, maybe we could try organizing a bigger game? I mean, there certainly are enough metaguards to crew multiple ships, if we can get enough volunteers.

AMimsyBorogove

Return to Off Topic