Mafia Round 3 - you shouldn't trust anyone

Anything goes.

Mafia Round 3 - you shouldn't trust anyone

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Alright, folks, it's time for another game of Mafia. Thanks to Anura for running the first two; it's been entertaining even for those not actively playing.

For those who missed it, here is the first run of the game, and here is the second run of the game.

This time, I'll do one thing slightly different. I'm going to tell you about possible roles that may come up in this game, although I won't tell you until the end which roles were actually in the game.

Town: A standard townsperson.
Mafia: A standard member of the mafia.
Doctor: A townsperson who can save one person other than themselves in the nighttime sequence.
Mayor: A townsperson whose vote for lynching counts twice. In the event of a tie where they aren't the participant, I will contact them privately for the tiebreaker lynch vote.
Cop: A townsperson who can investigate to find mafia members during the day sequences.
Godfather: The one mafia member that cannot have their allegiance discovered by the cop.
Cupid: A regular townsperson who picks two people to be "in love." If those two are the last two standing, they win, regardless of whether they are both town, both mafia, or one of each (the individuals can still win, of course, if their side wins).

For the rest of the rules...

I'll start the game on Monday, 7th of July; all interested parties should indicate said interest by then.

The exact number of Mafiosi will be unknown. They each get one vote on who to kill in each night phase (their votes are visible to other Mafiosi). Voting to kill no-one is also possible. They win the game when they equal the number of citizens, thus allowing them to control the day vote.

Everyone else is a Loyal Hardworking Citizen (or just a Townie). They win when the Mafia is completely wiped out.
Whether a given player is Mafia or Town, and whether they have a special role, is decided at random when the game begins.

During each day phase, every player (including Mafia) get one vote on who to lynch that day, or to not lynch anyone. These votes are public. If someone is lynched, they die and their allegiance is made public. Day phases last roughly a week, or until there's a majority lynch vote, whichever happens first. If time runs out, the highest number of votes carries it; in the case of a tie, no lynch takes place.

Dead players are not permitted to interact with the game any more.

Dead players have their allegiance revealed, but not their role.

Players:
eli_gone_crazy is dead. She was a townie.
Tohrinha is alive. She was a doctor.
Sophira is dead. She was a doctor.
Pixelmage is dead. He was a townie.
Anura is dead. He was a townie.
RussetDivinity was alive. She was a townie.
Dryunya is dead. He was a doctor.
narrativedilettante was alive. She was the mayor.
Victin was alive. He was a doctor.
Endless Sea was alive. He was a townie.
Krika is dead. He was a townie.
Blurred_9L was alive. He was a townie.
Qara-Xuan Zenith is dead. She was a townie.

The scenario was the Black Death scenario - no mafia. The town lost.
Last edited by Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 am, edited 13 times in total.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Re: Mafia Round 3 - you shouldn't trust anyone

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm in.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Tohrinha on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:22 pm

I'd like to play.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Sophira on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:30 pm

I'll play again. :)
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Might as well try it again. :) *signs up*
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Anura on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:13 pm

And here I was thinking about what I should do for the next round! I won't run another game simultaneously, since that would get confusing.

Count me in. It'll be interesting to see how it works from the other side.
Anura

Postby RussetDivinity on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm in.
Jubilation and despair are two sides of the same coin.
RussetDivinity

Postby Dryunya on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Sure, I'll get killed once more. :D

I'm not sure how the cupid role works, though. Does he pick the pair once at the beginning? Who actually wins if one townie and one mafioso remains? And since it sort of creates a different win condition, does that mean that mafia doesn't win when they wipe out enough townies if there are lovers on each side?
Finally, does one lover snap and go on an omnicidal rampage if the other is killed? :twisted:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:15 pm

I'll play again.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Victin on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:18 pm

I'll play again. But I have a question: if the Lovers can still win individually if their side win, then what's the point of having them if they can just kill each other?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Endless Sea on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Totally joining this.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Dryunya wrote:Sure, I'll get killed once more. :D

I'm not sure how the cupid role works, though. Does he pick the pair once at the beginning? Who actually wins if one townie and one mafioso remains? And since it sort of creates a different win condition, does that mean that mafia doesn't win when they wipe out enough townies if there are lovers on each side?
Finally, does one lover snap and go on an omnicidal rampage if the other is killed? :twisted:

Ack, I forgot some of the details about the cupid and lovers, if the role is selected.

First, the cupid only picks once, before the first voting sequence happens. They will know who the lovers are, but at the start, nobody else does.

The lovers cannot vote to kill each other at all - their love is too strong to even think of it.

If one lover dies, the other dies as well, of heartbreak. The lovers should thus try to steer votes away from each other.

There actually is a variant where the remaining lover gets to take out one person of their choosing before dying as well (vengeance for their lost love), but I'm not going to include that unless we have a really large group.

In short, this is to potentially create three groups - town, mafia, and lovers. Now, if both lovers are town or both are mafia, it's essentially a lynch/assassinate one, get one free combo. They only really make a third faction if one's mafia and one's not.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Krika on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:15 pm

*in*
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Sophira on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Rick Healey wrote:First, the cupid only picks once, before the first voting sequence happens. They will know who the lovers are, but at the start, nobody else does.

Not even the lovers themselves?
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Okay, yes, the lovers know as well. The cupid tells me, I tell the lovers, then the game begins in earnest.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:36 pm

2 Questions.

1. How exactly does the Mayor's voting work? Does the Mayor vote once and it counts for two votes and then if there's a tie the Mayor can change, or does the Mayor cast one vote and then have a reserve to use for tiebreaking?

2. Can the lovers have secret conversations or do they have to keep everything above-board? This could make a huge difference if one is in the Mafia and the other's not.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:43 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:2 Questions.

1. How exactly does the Mayor's voting work? Does the Mayor vote once and it counts for two votes and then if there's a tie the Mayor can change, or does the Mayor cast one vote and then have a reserve to use for tiebreaking?

The mayor's vote counts twice. In the event of a tie where the mayor did not participate, they get to change their vote.

Consequently, I'd only announce voting closed if everyone's voted or if there are obviously enough votes to lynch even if the mayor hasn't voted for anyone yet.

2. Can the lovers have secret conversations or do they have to keep everything above-board? This could make a huge difference if one is in the Mafia and the other's not.

They don't get to have secret conversations. They can only communicate openly.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Will the lovers be able to do the revenge murder thing or no?

Also, in every version I've played, there's been a black rat. Is that just a thing you don't prefer doing, or have you never had it?
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Guyshane on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Okay there's something I have to ask: Are you going to write out over-the-top ridiculous mafia assassinations?

I ask because that's always been a key feature in versions I've played which has been disappointingly absent in the last two rounds.
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm in on this round :P
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Krika on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Guyshane wrote:Okay there's something I have to ask: Are you going to write out over-the-top ridiculous mafia assassinations?

I ask because that's always been a key feature in versions I've played which has been disappointingly absent in the last two rounds.

Yeeeesssssssssss

*Krika approves +50*
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:16 am

I volunteer to play!!!
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:23 am

Krika wrote:
Guyshane wrote:Okay there's something I have to ask: Are you going to write out over-the-top ridiculous mafia assassinations?

Yeeeesssssssssss

*Krika approves +50*

WANT.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Sophira on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:10 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:Will the lovers be able to do the revenge murder thing or no?

I'm not Rick, but I'm curious: what do you mean by "revenge murder"?

If one of the lovers dies, then the other dies too out of heartbreak. Does that answer your question?
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Sophira on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:11 am

Definitely want this! :D
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Next

Return to Off Topic