Mafia Round 3 - you shouldn't trust anyone

Anything goes.

Re: Mafia Round 3 - you shouldn't trust anyone

Postby Endless Sea on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 am

Huh. I made a few jokes about this sort of thing, but I didn't think you'd actually go through with it. :| Go figure.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 am

Rick Healey wrote:#EliWasRight

#BlameRick
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 am

Blurred_9L wrote:
Rick Healey wrote:#EliWasRight

#BlameRick

That's generally a good instinct. After all, you shouldn't trust anyone in a game of Mafia.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:55 am

You're like those games that teach you that jumping into pits is an instant kill, just to have a secret and very important item be hidden inside a pit, with nothing to hint that you are you supposed to jump inside it. :|

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:22 am

Blurred_9L wrote:You're like those games that teach you that jumping into pits is an instant kill, just to have a secret and very important item be hidden inside a pit, with nothing to hint that you are you supposed to jump inside it. :|

Well, now that you mention it, I did really like Mega Man X2.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Anura on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:39 am

I hate this game of emotions we play. :cry:
Anura

Postby Dryunya on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 am

Ok, I feel cheated, but in a good way. :twisted:
I do have some notes on the game, which I'll post when I come home.
For starters, how were we supposed to lynch a man who was already dead? :?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 am

Do what I did and refuse to play the game
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Dryunya on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Ok, I'm home, so.
Since I was the doctor (sorry, a doctor ;) ) I actually took this seriously and tried to find out who's who.
I was positive Dilly was the mayor, because the people she voted for tended to die after the tie. I was pretty sure Sophira was town, because she gave us an advice that would be disadvantageous for the Mafia (not to lynch Pixel - even though we did anyway). The rest I was not so sure about, so I mostly tried to protect the players I'd target - the ones that don't get in the way, which is why I picked Blur, and then Endless. The last one was Dilly, because by day 3 everyone would definitely see that she was the mayor. It didn't really matter, because the mafia wouldn't have to be picky about their last lynch.
My first pick was Anura, by the way. Didn't help much. :cry:

Now, let's address the twist. I am not really mad at being played like that - I mean, come on, we played TWWF. If anything, we should have seen that coming. :gurt: The randomness is what really messed the game up, though, because I was trying to look for logic where there was none. :( But, as I said, I was under the firm impression that we were playing Mafia, and I was acting like it. Maybe in an unnecessarily creepy way.

I didn't plan to be creepy until you guys started roleplaying, btw. I should add that the RP made the game pretty confusing, because it was hard to see if Qara was acting super suspicious (being all peaceful doesn't help anyone in a Mafia game) because that was her role, or because she was Mafia. I didn't have any definite idea of the mafia members, but Qara was the prime suspect. Russ was another one. And I'm kind of surprised you guys didn't lynch me. :D
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Dryunya wrote:And I'm kind of surprised you guys didn't lynch me. :D

I decided that I wanted to lynch you before the last day round, but then I forgot by the time I got a chance to vote. :P
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Dryunya wrote:I should add that the RP made the game pretty confusing, because it was hard to see if Qara was acting super suspicious (being all peaceful doesn't help anyone in a Mafia game) because that was her role, or because she was Mafia. I didn't have any definite idea of the mafia members, but Qara was the prime suspect.

:D Um. I should mention that I decided before the game started, and before I was assigned my role, that (unless I was something where doing so would make me feel guilty, like doctor or cop) no matter what role I had, I would try to act as suspicious as possible, and entertain myself by seeing how long it took me to get lynched. I was surprised I lasted as long as I did!

Also, re: killing Rick. I am not upset; as a former camp counselor, I think "no mafia but let's pretend there is" is an absolutely valid, and often entertaining course of action. The only thing that bothers me is something I think Dryu already pointed out-- voting to lynch Rick can't be considered a valid win condition when Rick made it fairly explicit that he was the one killed in the first post. But that's a minor quibble. HEY RICK WHEN'S THE NEXT GAME? :)
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 pm

I will note that it was *possible* that Dilly wasn't the mayor. If the mayor's choice wasn't involved in the tie, the mayor can use their second vote to break it. In that case, a mayor who mirrored Dilly's vote every time would've been diabolically clever. That wasn't the case this time, but it was within the realm of the possible.

I will say that I hadn't anticipated the role-play. I enjoyed it, but I didn't see it coming.

In retrospect, I'm a bit surprised people didn't question some of my word choices in posts, like how "mafia" was among the roles that I said I might use, or that I never gave a lower bound as to how many mafia I'd pick.

Also, one more admission... it was pretty mean to introduce the Cupid/Lovers role when I never intended to use it from the getgo. I included it as the distraction to keep people from asking what quirk I'd use when running.

EDIT: Next game? Well, I figured I'd give folks some time to digest this one. Also give time to allow whatever harsh feelings were remaining from this one to cool down. Finally, I wasn't sure if folks would even want me running another one so soon (though Blur seemed pretty keen on me *playing* next one on Twitter).

I will promise that I won't run Black Death on my next run of this if I do run. Though if I get enough players, I may decide to run Flock Of Wolves instead (two rival mafias, with the town winning by removing all mafia and a mafia winning if the other mafia is killed off).

Finally... I have to admit, I wondered what kind of chaos would have erupted if any of the doctors came forward with their role.
Last edited by Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 pm

If multiple people stepped forward each claiming to be a Doctor, I wouldn't have believed any of them. XD

And I did take notice of that wording, Rick, and realized that you hadn't guaranteed we'd have Mafia at all, but I don't think that actually occurred to me until late in the game.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Anura on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Okay, I'm setting up another game. Rick, you can set up another parallel one; I'm marking mine as a bonus round rather than round 4 because it's going to be just a little bit completely insane.
Anura

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Rick Healey wrote: (though Blur seemed pretty keen on me *playing* next one on Twitter).

You bet I can wait for it :D :twisted:

but that's okay, take your time, Rick. :P

Blurred_9L

Postby Victin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:23 pm

The first day Rick forgot my vote as a doctor, so I voted to save two people on Day 2.

After that, with so much roleplaying instead of straight up playing, I gave up and chose randomly whom I'd save. I did not use any die or anything to determine whom I'd save but instinct. And that's why I stopped voting and posting analyses.

Also I agree that voting to lynch Rick came to my mind in the first day, and some other time later, but in the first post he said he was dead, so I ignored that :|

I think I can say I didn't enjoy this game much, but not because of what Rick did - I'm feeling neutral at that right now. I didn't enjoy it much because with all the roleplaying I had no idea of what to do, and as the Doctor asking to be killed or randomly killing would be completely unfair and all. This is not, however, saying you people can't enjoy or play Mafia roleplaying, just that I, myself, don't like it that way.

Though if I get enough players, I may decide to run Flock Of Wolves instead (two rival mafias, with the town winning by removing all mafia and a mafia winning if the other mafia is killed off).

That is something I'd be interested in playing. Also, as of writing this line of text, I'd prefer if the possible mafia variations to be written in the first post. I hadn't played enough mafia to know "Black Death" was an actual scenario, so listing mafia only as a possible role would never strike me as strange, because I'd always assume it to be in the game that is called Mafia.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 pm

I really felt bad about messing up Victin's first save. In addition to giving him two saves, if he had said that he would've made the correct save call, I would have counted it towards the "three saves" victory condition.

Also, to be fair, not everyone who has played Mafia (or Werewolves of Miller's Hollow) know about the Black Death variant. It's generally treated as a vicious surprise even by those familiar with it.

For the confusion about "Ol' Footsteps," that was partly because it seemed like folks wanted a framing device and not just "so-and-so died, they were with this faction." Part of it was needing to establish why folks were suddenly voting to lynch people in said device. And part of it was the assumption that folks would still potentially consider me fair game because I was still participating in the thread. Well, assuming folks thought to target me; worth noting that even most people running Black Death don't allow that.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Victin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Rick Healey wrote:I really felt bad about messing up Victin's first save. In addition to giving him two saves, if he had said that he would've made the correct save call, I would have counted it towards the "three saves" victory condition.

Oh. Oh! Too bad that, as you already know, my plan was to wait until night to decide, and since it had happened while I slept I didn't even have the time to think, turning my to you when you asked into "no one".
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Krika on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Rick Healey wrote:And part of it was the assumption that folks would still potentially consider me fair game because I was still participating in the thread. Well, assuming folks thought to target me; worth noting that even most people running Black Death don't allow that.

But the thing is by the implicit rules of the game you're not a participant - you're running it, not playing, and therefore you aren't someone to considering trying to kill. This is bugs me here, because it feels like you gave a victory condition for being silly/cheaty rather than smart.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Krika wrote:
Rick Healey wrote:And part of it was the assumption that folks would still potentially consider me fair game because I was still participating in the thread. Well, assuming folks thought to target me; worth noting that even most people running Black Death don't allow that.

But the thing is by the implicit rules of the game you're not a participant - you're running it, not playing, and therefore you aren't someone to considering trying to kill. This is bugs me here, because it feels like you gave a victory condition for being silly/cheaty rather than smart.

Would you have preferred that I made it a no-win scenario, then? That's what Black Death is supposed to be. Yeah, it's an incredibly non-intuitive solution, and most people wouldn't have honored it even if you did try it. That's why I also had a much more mundane solution (the three-saves one). It seemed more sporting.

That and, like I said, it's not a particularly nice move to pull this variant in the first place. I thought folks deserved credit for calling me out regardless of when they did it.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Krika on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:20 pm

It's not so much that I dislike it for being no-win (I'm fine with that, and I suspected something was up when no Mafia kept showing up, along with being taken out early so I wasn't invested really in the outcome), so much as I just dislike solutions that require you to break the rules of the game to do them.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Dryunya on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:41 am

Krika wrote:I just dislike solutions that require you to break the rules of the game to do them.

This, pretty much. And I'm sort of surprised that with all those doctors we didn't save anyone.

Also, this video got posted on the same day the twist surfaced, and I refuse to believe this is a coincidence. :gurt:
Dryunya

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:35 am

Honestly though, I don't think that it required one to break the rules.

I could be wrong, but the rules allow for us to refuse to kill anyone. The game has the inherent DRIVE to murder everyone, but the players are allowed the choice of whether to perform the action or not.

Also, I'm sorry Vic, for the roleplaying. I've basically, because I'm bonkers, decided that the only way to play Mafia and have it be entertaining and interesting for me every time is to pick random stereotypes and play that way until I die/win.

Then again, I probably am not taking this as seriously as everyone else. So... yeah. Mafia is not srs bsns, I guess.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Dryunya wrote:And I'm sort of surprised that with all those doctors we didn't save anyone.

Also, this video got posted on the same day the twist surfaced, and I refuse to believe this is a coincidence. :gurt:

With the former, I was a little surprised too. It honestly didn't help that Blur regularly got multiple people trying to save him. I'm not sure how.

For the latter, I honestly have nothing to do with it. Amusing coincidence.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Previous

Return to Off Topic