Whatever happened to enjoying films? (or rather JR rants)

Anything goes.

Whatever happened to enjoying films? (or rather JR rants)

Postby JRPictures on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:20 am

I kinda feel like venting a big thought of mine here since you guys are pretty willing to listen.

In over the past year and a half, I've kinda let a lot of things go in terms of criticism, on perhaps both levels. Lately a lot of my attention has turned to the nature of film/show criticism. I've become so disenchanted and annoyed at how overly critical and nitpicky people can be when putting their opinion on a film.

In fact I've sworn off watching/reading critics online who fit the caustic critic image because I just don't feel in the mood to listen to them ramble on negatively about whatever new film/show they've just watched. I've barely watched a TGWTG work since midway last year (with one or two exceptions) and the only critic I consistently watch these days is GRArkada: https://www.youtube.com/user/GRArkada whom I'd consider to be one of the most neutral/positive reviewers I've ever watched, with a few a video of him being so negative about a show.

Hell even the co-creator of Toonami would even agree with me on how caustic critics have become so tiring: http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/111547911401

But what's been annoying me the most lately is how people constantly try to pick flaws in movies that are intended to be fun or adventurous. Take for instance, Guardians of the Galaxy. A film I genuinely loved and enjoyed for what it was. And while yes it had its flaws, what I keep seeing with how its criticized is just how it isn't what people wanted it to be, or that the female lead could've been better or that the humour wasn't funny or that it didn't take any risks etc etc. I could go on.

Whatever happened to just enjoying a movie? Why do we have to criticise it? Find its flaws? Can't we just enjoy it for what it is? Or has most of the world become so highstrung and critical? Hell if I know.

Anyways I guess I just want to hear what you guys think of this. Maybe I could've spent this thread of some other topic like my own writing or some crap but eh, this is just what came to mind.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Re: Whatever happened to enjoying films? (or rather JR rants

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am

JRPictures wrote:I kinda feel like venting a big thought of mine here since you guys are pretty willing to listen.

In over the past year and a half, I've kinda let a lot of things go in terms of criticism, on perhaps both levels. Lately a lot of my attention has turned to the nature of film/show criticism. I've become so disenchanted and annoyed at how overly critical and nitpicky people can be when putting their opinion on a film.

In fact I've sworn off watching/reading critics online who fit the caustic critic image because I just don't feel in the mood to listen to them ramble on negatively about whatever new film/show they've just watched. I've barely watched a TGWTG work since midway last year (with one or two exceptions) and the only critic I consistently watch these days is GRArkada: https://www.youtube.com/user/GRArkada whom I'd consider to be one of the most neutral/positive reviewers I've ever watched, with a few a video of him being so negative about a show.

Hell even the co-creator of Toonami would even agree with me on how caustic critics have become so tiring: http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/111547911401

But what's been annoying me the most lately is how people constantly try to pick flaws in movies that are intended to be fun or adventurous. Take for instance, Guardians of the Galaxy. A film I genuinely loved and enjoyed for what it was. And while yes it had its flaws, what I keep seeing with how its criticized is just how it isn't what people wanted it to be, or that the female lead could've been better or that the humour wasn't funny or that it didn't take any risks etc etc. I could go on.

Whatever happened to just enjoying a movie? Why do we have to criticise it? Find its flaws? Can't we just enjoy it for what it is? Or has most of the world become so highstrung and critical? Hell if I know.

Anyways I guess I just want to hear what you guys think of this. Maybe I could've spent this thread of some other topic like my own writing or some crap but eh, this is just what came to mind.

And then there's the hipster screams as they grab the nearest person, push them against the wall and spray 1 pint of spit in their face as they yell about how overrated a film is.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:25 am

I agree that it's nice to sit back and enjoy a movie, but a critic's job isn't to enjoy, it's to evaluate. Some critics are unreasonably caustic, but film isn't just entertainment; it's an art form.

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy. But criticizing things that I love is perhaps even more important to me than criticizing things I don't love. Sure, I think that movie was great, but it could have been better. And perhaps it should have been better. I like art that pushes boundaries, that takes risks. It can be frustrating to think that the world of media will stagnate with good movies that nonetheless do nothing to push us forward, to change the landscape of what movies can be and do.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby JRPictures on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:16 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:And then there's the hipster screams as they grab the nearest person, push them against the wall and spray 1 pint of spit in their face as they yell about how overrated a film is.

Pyro if you're not going to contribute anything meaninful to this thread then just don't post at all.

narrativedilettante wrote:I agree that it's nice to sit back and enjoy a movie, but a critic's job isn't to enjoy, it's to evaluate. Some critics are unreasonably caustic, but film isn't just entertainment; it's an art form.

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy. But criticizing things that I love is perhaps even more important to me than criticizing things I don't love. Sure, I think that movie was great, but it could have been better. And perhaps it should have been better. I like art that pushes boundaries, that takes risks. It can be frustrating to think that the world of media will stagnate with good movies that nonetheless do nothing to push us forward, to change the landscape of what movies can be and do.

I'm not just talking about critics here, I mean anyone. Now I'm not bagging out on constructive criticism here, in fact constructive criticism is absolutely fine to me. The problem is the people who think their opinion is law and that they HAVE to nitpick whatever they watch.

As for the matter of taking risks, Guardians of the Galaxy was a huge risk for Marvel, no matter how you look at it. A film based on an obscure team, characters mainstream audiences aren't terribly familiar with, delving deeply into Marvel's cosmic side. Film's like GOTG are the ones that take risks and I find hugely wrong that there isn't a lot of movies taking risks these days.

Eh in the end, maybe I'm just losing my touch a bit. I keep straddling the line between being cynical and optimistic and I'm just getting sick of the constant negativity around me, not to mention all the crap that's been happening in the past few weeks.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am

It's okay to take steps back and regain your own personal balance, but in the same way that you dislike people nitpicking film, it's probably not going to be received well if you become angry over someone else's opinions.

Because that's what they are, opinions. If they didn't like something about a film, they have the ability and right to voice that opinion, same as you to them. The important thing would be that you enjoyed the film, book, or show.

In the end, media is supposed to entertain you. If you aren't being satisfied by media, you should voice your opinions as to exactly why.

But, if you are really bothered by criticisms you deem harsh, then by all means, avoid those critics or conversations.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:23 pm

That stung.

That really, really, stung.
Last edited by The Wild West Pyro on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Guyshane on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 pm

I personally find criticism to be fairly harmless in and of itself, it is merely someone explaining why they found something disappointing or lacking. The only real problem is when they criticize people for liking something, which is why I have no problem with tgwtg for the most part. For example I don't hate people for liking Prometheus despite it being a stupid mess that was worse than any other movie in the Alien franchise.
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:18 am

Guyshane wrote:The only real problem is when they criticize people for liking something

I agree very much with this sentiment. It's okay to hate something I like, but implying that I'm somehow in the wrong for liking it is actually inexcusable.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby JRPictures on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:That stung.

That really, really, stung.

Sorry Pyro, but I had to be honest there.

narrativedilettante wrote:
Guyshane wrote:The only real problem is when they criticize people for liking something

I agree very much with this sentiment. It's okay to hate something I like, but implying that I'm somehow in the wrong for liking it is actually inexcusable.

Ditto.

Guyshane wrote:I personally find criticism to be fairly harmless in and of itself, it is merely someone explaining why they found something disappointing or lacking. The only real problem is when they criticize people for liking something, which is why I have no problem with tgwtg for the most part. For example I don't hate people for liking Prometheus despite it being a stupid mess that was worse than any other movie in the Alien franchise.

True enough I suppose (Also I can't really comment on the Alien/Prometheus since I haven't seen any of the films in the franchise)

eli_gone_crazy wrote:It's okay to take steps back and regain your own personal balance, but in the same way that you dislike people nitpicking film, it's probably not going to be received well if you become angry over someone else's opinions.

Because that's what they are, opinions. If they didn't like something about a film, they have the ability and right to voice that opinion, same as you to them. The important thing would be that you enjoyed the film, book, or show.

In the end, media is supposed to entertain you. If you aren't being satisfied by media, you should voice your opinions as to exactly why.

But, if you are really bothered by criticisms you deem harsh, then by all means, avoid those critics or conversations.

Honestly I think I'm mixing myself up a bit here. It's not a matter of me caring about people's opinions on films (I got over that ages ago) this is more a matter that it just seems like so many are failing to enjoy a film and are instead constantly nitpicking it to the point where it becomes tiring.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:44 am

I think there is a balance to be maintained. If it is expected that a person is not to make positive opinions on a film invalid, then the same must be held for negative opinions. Because, from what I see, lauding the positives can be as grating as nitpicking the faults, but both are allowed and both are necessary.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Rick Healey on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 am

I'll throw in a counter view - some people like myself find and express joy through complaining. It's a different mindset, sure. But I like sitting down and nitpixking. I deconstruct and reconstruct.

As a side note, I do find it entertaining that you'd complain about people taking shots at the weakness of Gamora's role, when I honestly thought that was the film's glaring flaw (and, honestly, pretty much the glaring flaw of the MCU as a whole).
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Return to Off Topic