Twitch.tv has been acquired by Amazon

Anything goes.

Twitch.tv has been acquired by Amazon

Postby Sophira on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am

So I heard today that twitch.tv, probably the major live game streaming site right now, has been acquired by Amazon.

There had been rumours of a Twitch acquisition in the works for some time now, but everybody (including me) was expecting it to be Google. The fact that it's Amazon is actually quite surprising to me.

What do people think? It's certainly not what I was expecting...
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Re: Twitch.tv has been acquired by Amazon

Postby Adell on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Sophira wrote:So I heard today that twitch.tv, probably the major live game streaming site right now, has been acquired by Amazon.

There had been rumours of a Twitch acquisition in the works for some time now, but everybody (including me) was expecting it to be Google. The fact that it's Amazon is actually quite surprising to me.

What do people think? It's certainly not what I was expecting...

Are they still gonna be muting peoples streams for using in game audio like apparently google was? If yes then I still don't like it XD
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Amazon is a giant and is not to be ignored. This doesn't really surprise me at all.

I'm keeping a wary eye on Amazon. They've done some stuff that gets scarily close to being a monopoly in a few markets, held back only by other giant corporations that are trying to establish monopolies.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Blurred_9L on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:28 pm

I thought google had already bought twicth.tv .-.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Sophira on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Adell wrote:Are they still gonna be muting peoples streams for using in game audio like apparently google was? If yes then I still don't like it XD

Google never touched Twitch - the muting of VODs in 30 minute intervals was probably to prepare for an acquisition, yes, but not by Google.

Nothing's happening with live streams yet, to my knowledge.
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 pm

*Peeks out from under rock*

Uhm... Twitch? Did the amazon rainforest start twitching and should I be worried about it? I mean, I live somewhat closer to it than everyone else... :?

On topic, however, I'm about as aware of that kind of thing as the line above would suggest. :P I mean, after the explosion of audience Twitch got with ESports adopting it, Twitch Plays Pokemon, the flood of seemingly 24/7 streamers of all sorts of things... It is obvious one of the giant media warehouses would love to get their pockets under the stream of advertisement money. (No, I am not ashamed)

Amazon, however... Eh, I don't know. Don't know a whole lot about 'em. I know they're big, and they would love to get all sorts of monopolies. But isn't that every major global corporation anyway?
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Btw, it was not until I saw this thread that I realized the "Twitch" in Twitch Plays Pokemon was twitch.tv. Which goes to show how much I know about the world of video game streaming.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Blurred_9L on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:34 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Btw, it was not until I saw this thread that I realized the "Twitch" in Twitch Plays Pokemon was twitch.tv. Which goes to show how much I know about the world of video game streaming.

You didn't miss anything particularly noticeable or important...

Unless you like the idea of fish playing videogames... I still facepalm at that.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby JRPictures on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:56 am

narrativedilettante wrote:Btw, it was not until I saw this thread that I realized the "Twitch" in Twitch Plays Pokemon was twitch.tv. Which goes to show how much I know about the world of video game streaming.

Don't worry, you're pretty much in the same boat as me in terms of knowing what Twitch is.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Return to Off Topic