Vampire Mafia

Anything goes.

Vampire Mafia

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Okay, I don't actually know if I can run a Mafia game, because I have never tried, but let's find out! Together!

Anyway my idea is this: We start out with a group of humans and one vampire. (The outbreak started with Patient Zero.) Vampires look just like us, but at night they CHANGE people... INTO ONE OF THEM! The best solution is to stake them to death in the light of day, but you don't know who the vampire is. Staking also works for killing humans!

I would like to have "special roles" for everyone playing. Here is a list of roles that might be in play during the game:

• The Vampire. When the game starts, there will be only one vampire; each night, the vampire can change one person. You know whom you've changed, and who changed you. Vampires cannot communicate with each other.
  • The Doctor. The doctor can manufacture enough cure to de-vampirify one person per night. Each night, the doctor has a choice: he/she can EITHER attempt to cure one person (without actually knowing if that person is a vampire), OR give the cure formula to one person so that now you BOTH have the option of curing one person each night.
  • The Scientist. The scientist can examine one person each night to determine if this person is a vampire.
  • The Lovers. The lovers are two people, who unlike everyone else CAN communicate freely throughout the game. Either one of them may have additional roles during the game. If one lover becomes a vampire, they have the option of turning the other one "for free" that night (i.e., in addition to their normal one action per night). If one lover dies, the other one can perform an immediate revenge kill on a person of their choice. The lovers win if both of them are alive at the end of the game.
  • Typhoid Mary. Typhoid Mary is immune to being turned into a vampire. During every night round that vampires exist, Typhoid Mary also turns 1 person of her choosing into a vampire. If investigated, Typhoid Mary will appear to be a vampire. Typhoid Mary wins if she is still alive at the end of the game, whether there is a human or a vampire victory.
  • The Mayor. The Mayor's vote carries extra weight, and the mayor can cast secret tiebreakers when there is a tie for staking someone. If the Mayor is turned into a vampire, she/he loses this voting power but becomes the Vampire King.
    • The Vampire King can send messages one-way to all the vampires. If investigated, the Vampire King will appear to be human.
  • The Guard. The Guard can choose one person to protect from potential lynching during each day round (this must be decided before the round begins), OR one person to protect from any actions carried out against him/her during the subsequent night round (i.e., if you did something during the day you can't do anything that night). The Guard cannot protect him/herself.
  • The Narcissist. The Narcissist can make him/herself immune from any actions ONCE during the game, either during one night round or during one day round. You must notify me before the night round ends if you want to make yourself immune for the following day round.
  • The Vampire Hunter. The Vampire Hunter can try independently to stake one vampire during each night round. If the person is a vampire, congratulations! You killed a vampire! If the person is a human, then you just murdered a person. Nice job breaking it! The Vampire Hunter cannot be vampirified.
  • The Disruptor. Each night, the Disruptor can choose one person and nullify any action that person takes that night.
  • The Witch. ONCE ONLY in the game, the Witch can bring back to life someone who died (i.e., someone who was staked or otherwise murdered - not someone who is alive and well as a vampire) earlier in the game. That person is back in the game with any roles he/she had. (You will know a person's vampire/human status when they die, but not their special roles.) The Witch dies if someone tries to turn him/her into a vampire.

Quick overview of rules:
  1. Unless otherwise stated, no communication between players (relating to the game, obvs).
    • If you die, this still applies to you, because the dead can get brought back (See Witch).
  2. Unless otherwise stated, you can only complete one action per night. So if you have a special role AND you are a vampire, you can EITHER vampirify someone OR do what your role does; if you have a special role AND the doctor has given you the cure, you can EITHER cure someone OR do what your other role does.
  3. If the doctor gives you the cure, you are not the doctor. You can cure someone with the cure, but you do not understand the cure well enough to share it with someone else.
  4. When a vampire dies, I will roll randomly to see how many and which of that vampire's vampire-descendants also die.
  5. Humans win if all the vampires have been cured and/or staked. Vampires win if everyone still standing is a vampire.

So... show of hands if you would like to play!

-----------------

By popular demand, a list of players, in no particular order (slash the order in which you signed up)! This list will probably be updated in future times with deadness status and votes!

• narrativedilettante - is dead (she was human)
  • Tohrinha
  • Krika
  • Pixelmage
  • Sicon112 - has one vote against
  • Anura - is dead
  • Endless Sea
  • eli_gone_crazy
  • Victin - votes for Sicon112
  • H22
  • Lordxana0 -
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 am, edited 18 times in total.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Vampire Mafia

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:34 pm

I'm in.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tohrinha on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Yes. :D
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Krika on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Unless you have a LOT of people, one person being turned per vampire per night spirals very quickly. You start with one vampire, then two, then four, then eight by the end of night 3 unless some have been offed. So you might want to rethink that a little? '

I'm in either way.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Krika wrote:Unless you have a LOT of people, one person being turned per vampire per night spirals very quickly. You start with one vampire, then two, then four, then eight by the end of night 3 unless some have been offed. So you might want to rethink that a little? '

This is something I have thought about, and which I will continue to think about. Keep in mind that (with the possible exception of the Lovers, and the one-way messages of the Vampire King) the vampires cannot communicate with one another - so there's no way for them to ensure that a few people don't change the same person, or that they don't change someone who has already been changed.

That said, I might change this when I think about it some more, before the game starts. Perhaps if all or most of the vampires also have Special roles, they can have the choice between either using their special role, or changing someone into a vampire.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Sign me up. :)
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Anura on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Krika wrote:Unless you have a LOT of people, one person being turned per vampire per night spirals very quickly. You start with one vampire, then two, then four, then eight by the end of night 3 unless some have been offed. So you might want to rethink that a little? '

This is something I have thought about, and which I will continue to think about. Keep in mind that (with the possible exception of the Lovers, and the one-way messages of the Vampire King) the vampires cannot communicate with one another - so there's no way for them to ensure that a few people don't change the same person, or that they don't change someone who has already been changed.

That said, I might change this when I think about it some more, before the game starts. Perhaps if all or most of the vampires also have Special roles, they can have the choice between either using their special role, or changing someone into a vampire.

Yeah, every Vampire being able to turn people is pretty unbalanced. Cults are a thing in Mafia games, which start with a Cult Leader who is the only one able to recruit people, and even that's hard to balance right. (also Cultists might have to commit suicide if The Leader dies)
Anura

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Hmmm. I still want vampires to all be able to vampirify people, but I'm thinking maybe if the person who turned you dies, then you die also. I might need to play with that to balance it, to keep it from being auto-win if the first vampire gets killed no matter how late in the game, but it could work, I think.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:27 pm

The doctor helps a little with the balancing, I think. Especially if the cure is shared and we have multiple doctors all curing people left and right.

Mostly, though, a huge player base would help a lot. So EVERYBODY SIGN UP TO PLAY, PLEASE.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:31 pm

YES WHAT DILLY SAID

Right, the doctor-sharing I thought would balance things a little. Also, maybe I will roll randomly when a vampire dies to see how many of that vampire's direct-vampire-descendents die too.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm in too. This sounds awesome.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Anura on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Well, I'll play. I might learn some things from a different perspective.
Anura

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Sure, why not?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:19 pm

I want to play
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Ooohhh... Sounds cool. And harder than usual. I'd be the town is going to lose, but I'm in.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby H22 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm in.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Lordxana0 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Why not?
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:46 am

OKAY SO I think two days is ample time for people to sign up so I will close that now. Here is the list of roles that MIGHT be in play (I will copy this list to the original post - also, I will probably start the game tomorow):

• The Vampire. When the game starts, there will be only one vampire; each night, the vampire can change one person. You know whom you've changed, and who changed you. Vampires cannot communicate with each other.
  • The Doctor. The doctor can manufacture enough cure to de-vampirify one person per night. Each night, the doctor has a choice: he/she can EITHER attempt to cure one person (without actually knowing if that person is a vampire), OR give the cure formula to one person so that now you BOTH have the option of curing one person each night.
  • The Scientist. The scientist can examine one person each night to determine if this person is a vampire.
  • The Lovers. The lovers are two people, who unlike everyone else CAN communicate freely throughout the game. Either one of them may have additional roles during the game. If one lover becomes a vampire, they have the option of turning the other one "for free" that night (i.e., in addition to their normal one action per night). If one lover dies, the other one can perform an immediate revenge kill on a person of their choice. The lovers win if both of them are alive at the end of the game.
  • Typhoid Mary. Typhoid Mary is immune to being turned into a vampire. During every night round that vampires exist, Typhoid Mary also turns 1 person of her choosing into a vampire. If investigated, Typhoid Mary will appear to be a vampire. Typhoid Mary wins if she is still alive at the end of the game, whether there is a human or a vampire victory.
  • The Mayor. The Mayor's vote carries extra weight, and the mayor can cast secret tiebreakers when there is a tie for staking someone. If the Mayor is turned into a vampire, she/he loses this voting power but becomes the Vampire King.
    • The Vampire King can send messages one-way to all the vampires. If investigated, the Vampire King will appear to be human.
  • The Guard. The Guard can choose one person to protect from potential lynching during each day round (this must be decided before the round begins), OR one person to protect from any actions carried out against him/her during the subsequent night round (i.e., if you did something during the day you can't do anything that night). The Guard cannot protect him/herself.
  • The Narcissist. The Narcissist can make him/herself immune from any actions ONCE during the game, either during one night round or during one day round. You must notify me before the night round ends if you want to make yourself immune for the following day round.
  • The Vampire Hunter. The Vampire Hunter can try independently to stake one vampire during each night round. If the person is a vampire, congratulations! You killed a vampire! If the person is a human, then you just murdered a person. Nice job breaking it! The Vampire Hunter cannot be vampirified.
  • The Disruptor. Each night, the Disruptor can choose one person and nullify any action that person takes that night.
  • The Witch. ONCE ONLY in the game, the Witch can bring back to life someone who died (i.e., someone who was staked or otherwise murdered - not someone who is alive and well as a vampire) earlier in the game. That person is back in the game with any roles he/she had. (You will know a person's vampire/human status when they die, but not their special roles.) The Witch dies if someone tries to turn him/her into a vampire.

Quick overview of rules:
  1. Unless otherwise stated, no communication between players (relating to the game, obvs).
    • If you die, this still applies to you, because the dead can get brought back (See Witch).
  2. Unless otherwise stated, you can only complete one action per night. So if you have a special role AND you are a vampire, you can EITHER vampirify someone OR do what your role does; if you have a special role AND the doctor has given you the cure, you can EITHER cure someone OR do what your other role does.
  3. If the doctor gives you the cure, you are not the doctor. You can cure someone with the cure, but you do not understand the cure well enough to share it with someone else.
  4. When a vampire dies, I will roll randomly to see how many and which of that vampire's vampire-descendants also die.
  5. Humans win if all the vampires have been cured and/or staked. Vampires win if everyone still standing is a vampire.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:22 am

The outbreak started with Patient Zero... and on retrospect, you really should have been paying closer attention to who was exposed. Now all you have are a few broken vials and snapped restraints in the lab, and a vampire on the loose. Maybe more than one, by now! Who knows who's been exposed!

Vampires are clever. They know how to blend in. They look just like us. You can only really tell if someone's a vampire in two ways: by being bitten by one - at which point it's too late - or by looking at the body.

Staking kills vampires. It also kills humans. But at this point, the town's ready to try anything to stop this monster before it strikes again.

(It's a day round! Time to go for each other's throats and cast your votes!)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:45 am

Day one, vampire on the loose?

Set fire on everything! (O)_(O)
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Anura on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Great. Sunlight apparently doesn't work on these ones. Or fire. Or water. Or garlic. Or silver.

At least we still have sharp implements.
Anura

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:16 pm

If we have a doctor, maybe we should just wait out the day and hope the doctor can cure the vampire during the night!

Does, uh, does anybody remember if there's a doctor in town?

It really seems weird that we don't even know who the mayor is, or for sure whether we even have one.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tohrinha on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I like narra's idea. Fight back the tide with stealth medicine!

narrativedilettante wrote:Does, uh, does anybody remember if there's a doctor in town?

I've been going to random people and asking for advice. I probably need a better system.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Anura on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Could we have a list of players in the OP?
Anura

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Tohrinha wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:Does, uh, does anybody remember if there's a doctor in town?

I've been going to random people and asking for advice. I probably need a better system.

I'll give you advice! So what you do is, you turn around three times and then close your eyes and walk twelve steps and as long as you do that everywhere you go you'll be safe from vampires.

Or at least, such a distraction that I'll be able to run away and hide safely while everybody wonders what you're doing and I shouldn't have said that last bit aloud, should I have?

Anura wrote:Could we have a list of players in the OP?

Yes, this would be good.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Next

Return to Off Topic