Soundtrack to An ARG

Anything goes.

Re: Soundtrack to An ARG

Postby JackAlsworth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Scarab wrote:Ohkaaay... I was literally JUST listening to that song a few seconds ago. That is the weirdest coinscidence :shock:

Less than you might think; a version of it was in the Suggested Videos for the song you posted.

Scarab wrote:Is it just me, or are the lyrics of that song really...awkward, though? I love Globus, but Europa just doesn't sit right with me. It feels like they're comparing a lot of disjointed things and I'm not really sure what they're trying to say...

I agree with you, partially. The comparison they seem to be drawing is, "A lot of people died here," without really getting into the reasons why, which makes it less of a comparison and more an exercise of stating the obvious. ("Hey, people DIE during wars!") But of course the music gets locked in my head every time anyway. :roll:
JackAlsworth

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:37 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:
Scarab wrote:Ohkaaay... I was literally JUST listening to that song a few seconds ago. That is the weirdest coinscidence :shock:

Less than you might think; a version of it was in the Suggested Videos for the song you posted.

Scarab wrote:Is it just me, or are the lyrics of that song really...awkward, though? I love Globus, but Europa just doesn't sit right with me. It feels like they're comparing a lot of disjointed things and I'm not really sure what they're trying to say...

I agree with you, partially. The comparison they seem to be drawing is, "A lot of people died here," without really getting into the reasons why, which makes it less of a comparison and more an exercise of stating the obvious. ("Hey, people DIE during wars!") But of course the music gets locked in my head every time anyway. :roll:

Oh right... that's probably WHY I was listening to it in the first place, then...

Well, they're Globus. Their music does that. Iit's like the influenza of the musical world. A Thousand Deaths is also pretty good, although I'm not sure it'd fit the events of the ARG so well, it's still good to listen to while reading through the latest crazy ARG shenanigans.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Greyscale on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm

The lyrics in Europa are hackwork nonsense, but that's okay. You gotta remember that Globus is not a band. They're an arm of Immediate Music, a movie trailer soundtrack company. Immediate realized that their tracks were popular and decided to make an album, but first they had to pretend to be a band. Hence, Globus.

So they threw a bunch of silly lyrics into their awesome music, and remastered it really well.

If you don't want to hear the contradiction of lyrics that want to be anti-war and yet glorify war, listen to the lyricless version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6uX0MWetHA

With Globus, because of what it is, there is always a version without lyrics.

On a related note, my personal favorite from Globus/Immediate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Jf6r6BU2A
Greyscale

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Greyscale wrote:The lyrics in Europa are hackwork nonsense, but that's okay. You gotta remember that Globus is not a band. They're an arm of Immediate Music, a movie trailer soundtrack company. Immediate realized that their tracks were popular and decided to make an album, but first they had to pretend to be a band. Hence, Globus.

So they threw a bunch of silly lyrics into their awesome music, and remastered it really well.

If you don't want to hear the contradiction of lyrics that want to be anti-war and yet glorify war, listen to the lyricless version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6uX0MWetHA

With Globus, because of what it is, there is always a version without lyrics.

On a related note, my personal favorite from Globus/Immediate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Jf6r6BU2A

Thanks, the link's appreciated. I dunno, I guess nonsense lyrics are okay sometimes, but they just seem really... off in that particular song (it seems almost like they're comparing the battle of waterloo to terrorism, for one thing, and then talking about dropped The Bomb followed by a Holocaust reference? I mean, what? :| )

That song is also a perosnal favourite of mine. The lyrics make a moderate degree of sens ein that one too.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Inukai44 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Inukai44

Postby Greyscale on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Sure, I know what you mean. The lyrics make sense, and the theme is worth exploring. But it just doesn't sit right with me when the song makes war sound awesome and badass for 4 minutes and then turns around at the end and says "never again". They just foreshadowed world war three and then "never again". It's just a bit of a Broken Aesop.

I misheard the lyric "the cruelest of atrocities" as "the coolest of atrocities" and still thought it fit the song perfectly... that should tell you something about the rest of the lyrics.

That said, there are some pretty awesome music videos people have made to it. The lyrics all but beg you to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHkMPI2DZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9YvJsLQRY

And if you want a version without the choir, too, just look for it under the WTF-errific name of "Electric Romeo":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1onvcuzzqCc

Bottom line is, there's a version of any Globus song for everyone. 8-)
Greyscale

Postby Greyscale on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 pm

HOLY CRAP, THANK YOU. I heard this on the radio in a restaurant a couple weeks ago, loved it, had no idea what it was and didn't hear enough lyrics to Google it.
Greyscale

Postby Inukai44 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Greyscale wrote:

HOLY CRAP, THANK YOU. I heard this on the radio in a restaurant a couple weeks ago, loved it, had no idea what it was and didn't hear enough lyrics to Google it.

Your Welcome! Can't wait for that movie to come out! :ugeek:
Inukai44

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Greyscale wrote:I misheard the lyric "the cruelest of atrocities" as "the coolest of atrocities" and still thought it fit the song perfectly... that should tell you something about the rest of the lyrics.
That said, there are some pretty awesome music videos people have made to it. The lyrics all but beg you to do this:

I find that the most annoying thing about it really, that you can put together vids like that and it's such an earworm but the whole song overall just makes so little sense.

Inukai44 wrote:
Greyscale wrote:

Your Welcome! Can't wait for that movie to come out! :ugeek:

It also really REALLY does fit the ARG :D
Scarab

Postby Inukai44 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 pm

You win a free internet :D
Inukai44

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I just want to contribute an Earworm. It also comes from a game that parallels the ARG, so that's something. :D
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Adell on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm

IslaKariese wrote:I just want to contribute an Earworm. It also comes from a game that parallels the ARG, so that's something. :D

That's a good one. 8-)
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 am

Adell wrote:
IslaKariese wrote:I just want to contribute an Earworm. It also comes from a game that parallels the ARG, so that's something. :D

That's a good one. 8-)

Dude, I'm watching a lets play of the sequel to that right now, seems a good game.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Scarab wrote:
Adell wrote:

That's a good one. 8-)

Dude, I'm watching a lets play of the sequel to that right now, seems a good game.

I enjoyed the game, though it was a bit hammy. It's easy to enjoy if you've watched Twin Peaks and similar surreal shows.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Adell on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby JackAlsworth on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Adell wrote:Bamboo Flute

First of all, that song is beautiful.

Second of all, that song is absolutely perfect to listen to while reading the witch's latest post.
JackAlsworth

Postby Adell on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:23 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:

Second of all, that song is absolutely perfect to listen to while reading the witch's latest post.

I'll admit, I'm gung ho to send them back to the fictional world, but her recent post has me feeling kind of bad for her.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Adell wrote:
JackAlsworth wrote:

I'll admit, I'm gung ho to send them back to the fictional world, but her recent post has me feeling kind of bad for her.

Yeah, try being her campaign manager, it's even worse :? ... I'm really not sure what to do right now. I honestly feel like I want to help her out here, but how can we do it? She's many things (including yeah, evil) but you know what? At least she's HONEST. She has a choice. Change what she is to fit in with this world's way of thinking, and she hopes, instigate the change she wants, or stay as she is and... be ridiculed.

She wants to find her place in this world, which is something I think a lot of us sympathise with, evil or not.

Also yeah, gorgeous song.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Same here. Our actions (or lack of them) seems kinda lame, compared to what we considered. :cry:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:04 am

Green Day - Before The Lobotomy

Some of the lyrics fit the ARG really well.

"Dreaming, I was only dreaming,
Of another place and time,
Where my family's from."
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby agoraoptera on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 am

I saw a Nightwish and this came to mind immediately: Elvenpath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRdMWP1oPJ8
Fairly whimsical lyrics but it's about fantasy anyhoo~
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Sicon112 wrote:I'm usually listening to Two Steps From Hell... as some people may have already noticed...

Have you heard Lost in Las Vegas? Ten minutes of pure bliss, and it never gets old.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Endless Sea wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:I'm usually listening to Two Steps From Hell... as some people may have already noticed...

Have you heard Lost in Las Vegas? Ten minutes of pure bliss, and it never gets old.

That's a good one. I also like Dragon Rider (The song that lead me to them) and Strength Of A Thousand Men.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Adell on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:23 am

Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:36 am

Adell wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqyRRpRgJU&feature=relmfu

Dude... that is a cool song.

And since I'm in an epic kind of mood today, I've had this flying around in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNL9-42YF5I
Scarab

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic