Troper Quiz - Anybody interested?

Be creative! We know you can be <3

Troper Quiz - Anybody interested?

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 am

Alright guys, time to test your troping knowledge! Scarab and I have been thinking about a fun activity to do while we're all waiting for the big stuff to happen, and we thought that a Pub Quiz-style game would be fun. We can split up into teams and see who knows the most about stories and tropes (drinking optional).

We were thinking that doing this live might be best, so maybe in a chatroom or with voice chat? Let us know what you think and if you'd be up for it. Obviously, since this is a globe-spanning operation, we'll have trouble finding a time that works for everyone. But we can do our best.

What do you guys think?
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Re: Troper Quiz - Anybody interested?

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:00 am

Sure why not. Preferably a chat room as I don't have a mic for my PC.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 am

It's okay, but as for an alternative activity I'm already in the RPG thread, so...
still, it's a good idea. You could use that Chatzy service or something.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:04 am

Victin wrote:It's okay, but as for an alternative activity I'm already in the RPG thread, so...
still, it's a good idea. You could use that Chatzy service or something.

That one seems like a good place to try, thanks. And yeah, we were thinking chatrooms , to make sure people without mikes can get invovled. Anybody else got any others they'd like to suggest?

Also taking suggestions for Round Themes for the quiz. Obviously, "Popular Tropes" is a good one (and could take the place of the Popular Culture" round). But anybody else have any other suggestions of rounds they'd like?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 am

I'm interested.

It would be nice for it to go into works as well...
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah, I though that having a "Literature," "Television," "Movies," "Comics," and "Anime" might be a good way to go. Then the questions can involve tropes, like, "This WellIntentionedExtremist in the Superman Mythos blah blah blah etc" you get my point.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am

The Finch wrote:I'm interested.

It would be nice for it to go into works as well...

Cool! Although what do you mean by go into works? You mean could people play while at work? :?

Actually peoples work and school schedules are soemthing else that will have to be worked out, to make this as convenient as possible for as many PEOPLE as possible. We'd have to compile a list of all the interested people and their time zones, and work it out from there.

There's also the question of keeping people from cheating ;)

Zup wrote:Yeah, I though that having a "Literature," "Television," "Movies," "Comics," and "Anime" might be a good way to go. Then the questions can involve tropes, like, "This WellIntentionedExtremist in the Superman Mythos blah blah blah etc" you get my point.

*Nod* Sounds like a good way of doing it. A pub quiz, tuned to tropers!
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 am

Zup wrote:Yeah, I though that having a "Literature," "Television," "Movies," "Comics," and "Anime" might be a good way to go. Then the questions can involve tropes, like, "This WellIntentionedExtremist in the Superman Mythos blah blah blah etc" you get my point.

Interesting. I was also thinking Video Games, Western Animation, and Music as well.

By the way, it's the SLENDERman mythos, not the Superman Mythos.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 am

The Finch wrote:

Interesting. I was also thinking Video Games, Western Animation, and Music as well.

By the way, it's the SLENDERman mythos, not the Superman Mythos.

Well, if we have comics questions, the Superman mythos is fair game, right? Everything Pre-Crisis to the New 52 I should say. :D

And yes, those three would work too. I'll admit, I don't know much about Anime or Music, but I'm willing to do some research!
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 am

I'm in! ^_^ I'll try and free up time whenever, though sections of my schedule can get rough.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:23 am

I have no idea what this is about. Count me in. :D
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:27 am

Pixelmage wrote:I have no idea what this is about. Count me in. :D

You would be more than welcome! Pub Quiz! British style! :D we're still working on the kinks, such as how to set it in a time that's suitable for every's schedule, and what questions are to be asked.
Scarab

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 am

I'd probably be worth more as a "come up with questions" type of guy than anything resembling an actual participant, and my schedule's kind of tight, but this looks like a fun diversion.
JackAlsworth

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

http://doodle.com/qf7uyasnnfcwg263?

Go here and check the times you can make it. I've done what times I prefer. :P If the time zone looks wrong, you can change it. LEt me know if there are any questions.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Zup wrote:http://doodle.com/qf7uyasnnfcwg263?

Go here and check the times you can make it. I've done what times I prefer. :P If the time zone looks wrong, you can change it. LEt me know if there are any questions.

What timezone is that?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Right across from Administration it should say time zone. I set it to London's time zone because that's where I am. I'm not sure if you need to alter it or whether it is already altered.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Zup wrote:http://doodle.com/qf7uyasnnfcwg263?

All green for me. Unless something unplanned happens. If so I'll shout the warning as I get dragged kicking and crying away from the internet.

By the way, it opened directly to GMT-3 for me (my zone). So I guess it autodetects?
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Zup wrote:Right across from Administration it should say time zone. I set it to London's time zone because that's where I am. I'm not sure if you need to alter it or whether it is already altered.

Well, I'm usually here around this time, but around this time I'm usually having dinner, so I don't know exactly if I will be able to play or not :?
Victin

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

It looks like 7pm EST on Saturday is the current odds-on favorite to win. I don't plan on having it go more than an hour, I probably should have clarified that. And we'll be able to discuss stuff that happens here too, just in case anything monumental goes down.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:23 pm

And yes, I think it does Auto-detect. I jumped out of admin mode and it jumped right back to London time for me. Good to know the service works!
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Zup wrote:And yes, I think it does Auto-detect. I jumped out of admin mode and it jumped right back to London time for me. Good to know the service works!

Great to know. Looks like we're right on track :)
Scarab

Postby Guyshane on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm getting in on this
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm

I'd love to join in, but it's unlikely since I don't seem to be free when many others are. (I'm listed on the Doodle now.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:57 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:I'd love to join in, but it's unlikely since I don't seem to be free when many others are. (I'm listed on the Doodle now.)

We're doing our best to get as many people in as possible. if you're missed out I shall be sad and grovel appropriately for forgiveness (and possibly ask you if you would like to contribute questions instead)

But we still haven't decided. It may come down to a coin toss at this rate...
Scarab

Return to Metaguard Projects