The Pub Quiz Rules

Be creative! We know you can be <3

The Pub Quiz Rules

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Rules for the Pub Quiz and Stuff Like That.

NB: The exact date and time for the quiz has been decided as Saturday Evening. Unfortunately this means we lose narrativedilettante, RotavatoR and The Finch from the running. We grovel for forgiveness from said people. We would also like to ask said people if they would like to contribute to creating the questions. Basically if you aren't already involved you can PM any questions you want to be included to either Scarab or Zup.

You still have time to sign up here if you want to, we’re not done yet! Last minute sign ups WILL be accepted.

The quiz will take place on the www.neatchat.com online chat forum. The url will be announced an hour before the quiz, or even earlier, if anybody requires further warning.

The Pub Quiz will be divided into seven sections: Eastern & Western Animation, Comics & Manga, TV and Movies, Videogames, Literature, The ARG, and “Name The Trope” (these are up for change if anybody comes up with something better, we just tried to choose ones best suited to the people who hang out around here).

Each of these sections will include four questions and one bonus question –the bonus question is designed to be extremely difficult, and so will carry double points.

Each correct answer will give you 2 points, (bonus questions will obviously be 4 points).

You can choose to play as an individual or as a team of up to three. If you’re a team, please choose a spokesperson although you may interact however you please during the quiz – via a separate chat log, on the forum, email, whatever.)

NO using Google search menus, Wikipedia or any other public website (I am aware there is no way to enforce this, guys, be nice.)
NO using books, dictionaries, or any of that old fangled media that we used before the net existed.
• Only certain sections of the quiz will allow the use of the TV tropes website as a guide. This will be announced at the beginning of each round.
NONE of the Green Stuff(TM) until AFTER the Quiz, folks. Then you can all go nuts.
Last edited by Scarab on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: The Pub Quiz Rules

Postby The Finch on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm

>No Green Stuff
>Not giving trademark
>No Green Stuff

ISHYGDDT

Other than that, I'm fine.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm

The Finch wrote:>No Green Stuff
>Not giving trademark
>No Green Stuff

ISHYGDDT

Other than that, I'm fine.

SORRY SORRY I'M FIXING IT RIGHT NOW!!! :shock:
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 pm

"Web Original"? For Web Comics, Web Videos, Web Original.
Also, "Music"?
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 pm

We decided to keep it at seven topics, and these are the most story-based and broad topics we could think of.
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Victin wrote:"Web Original"? For Web Comics, Web Videos, Web Original.
Also, "Music"?

I think Music would be a bit hard to pin down (everyone has hugely different tastes after all and unlike most pub quizes we probably won't have many teams), but it's possible I don't know jack, lets see what everyone else thinks :)

Web original is also somewhat lesser known and unviersal so there'd be fewer people who know about it (the ARG section could count as Web original).
Scarab

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Scarab wrote:I think Music would be a bit hard to pin down (everyone has hugely different tastes after all and unlike most pub quizes we probably won't have many teams), but it's possible I don't know jack, lets see what everyone else thinks :)

Web original is also somewhat lesser known and unviersal so there'd be fewer people who know about it (the ARG section could count as Web original).

Scarab wrote:but it's possible I don't know jack

:cry: :cry: :cry:

But seriously, I agree with you; I had basically not heard of any of the other bands posted in the Soundtrack thread until you guys brought them up, and in my experience, the smaller a group of people, the less likely music knowledge overlaps between more than two or three people. Especially with people in so many different locations.
JackAlsworth

Postby The Finch on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Scarab wrote:
Victin wrote:"Web Original"? For Web Comics, Web Videos, Web Original.
Also, "Music"?

I think Music would be a bit hard to pin down (everyone has hugely different tastes after all and unlike most pub quizes we probably won't have many teams), but it's possible I don't know jack, lets see what everyone else thinks :)

YOU DON'T KNOW JACK!(TM)

Yeah, VERY out of place referrence, but it was the only time I could use it.
The Finch

Postby Zup on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Besides, if we had music, and I created the questions, it'd all be about Country music.

And no one wants that.

Besides me.
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Zup wrote:Besides, if we had music, and I created the questions, it'd all be about Country music.

And no one wants that.

Besides me.

Wouldn't bother me. I don't particularly like any genre over any other. I listen to a huge variety of stuff. Just whatever I happen to hear and like.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Will the questions be multiple choice?
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Wouldn't bother me. I don't particularly like any genre over any other. I listen to a huge variety of stuff. Just whatever I happen to hear and like.

Same here. Though my knowledge is slim at best... So, while I hear lots of stuff, I know little more than the artist's name and maybe just maybe the album and name... I'd certainly 0 this category.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:37 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:Scarab wrote:
but it's possible I don't know jack

Aw :( *glomps Jack, whom she knows*

So yeah music is really more of a Real Life ACTUAL PUB Quiz topic, it doesn't work so well when you can't gather round a table and discuss it (there's automatically more chance of people knowing answers when there's a group.)

RotavatoR wrote:Will the questions be multiple choice?

Not sure, we don't have 'em sorted yet. It will probably depend of the question.
Scarab

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Fnal date posted, see beginning.
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Good, but we'll play in a chatroom somewhere, instead of the forum, right? I would hate to be Ninja'd on an answer here.
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Good, but we'll play in a chatroom somewhere, instead of the forum, right? I would hate to be Ninja'd on an answer here.

Yea, they are gonna set up a chatroom.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:Good, but we'll play in a chatroom somewhere, instead of the forum, right? I would hate to be Ninja'd on an answer here.

Yea, they are gonna set up a chatroom.

Yep, chatroom. We were going to go with Chatzy, but if anybody out there has a better option they think woud work, we're open to suggestions.
Scarab

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:57 am

I'm waiting for this to be a time when something important happens in the ARG. :)
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 am

Tohrinha wrote:I'm waiting for this to be a time when something important happens in the ARG. :)

Heh, yeeeeah we're just kinda crossing our fingers and hoping that doesn't happen at this point.

Also if anybody who isn't in the quiz would like to submit questions they are welcome to. You can still sign up if you can make the date, too.
Scarab

Postby RotavatoR on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:42 pm

I assume you're planning to save a chat log of the quiz? It would be interesting to read it, especially for the people who couldn't play.
like me :cry:
(I love how that smilie's name is "Crying or Very Sad". Take your pick kinda thing)
RotavatoR

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm

RotavatoR wrote:I assume you're planning to save a chat log of the quiz? It would be interesting to read it, especially for the people who couldn't play.
(I love how that smilie's name is "Crying or Very Sad". Take your pick kinda thing)

Of course, so long as it's possible we'll be sure to save a record :)

We ARE having a small problem with our chosen chat client. Seems you can't send private pms using it without paying so if anybody has a better free chat room than chatzy which allows for free PMS please let us now. Otherwise we may have to use somebody's email or PMS on the forum to recieve answers, or something.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Scarab wrote:
RotavatoR wrote:I assume you're planning to save a chat log of the quiz? It would be interesting to read it, especially for the people who couldn't play.

We ARE having a small problem with our chosen chat client. Seems you can't send private pms using it without paying so if anybody has a better free chat room than chatzy which allows for free PMS please let us now. Otherwise we may have to use somebody's email or PMS on the forum to recieve answers, or something.

We could always use Skype...
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

Yes, that's a possibility although we DID want something people won't have to sign up to and download in order to use...
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Scarab wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

Yes, that's a possibility although we DID want something people won't have to sign up to and download in order to use...

Also, doesn't Skype cost money?
The Finch

Postby RotavatoR on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Scarab wrote:

free PMS?
Why would you need to send a pm? So you and Zup can discuss if the players answered right?
RotavatoR

Next

Return to Metaguard Projects