Favorite Author or book.

Anything goes.

Favorite Author or book.

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Seeing as though Favorite webcomics and Favorite Tropes are topics, I was wondering if anyone had a favorite author or book.
An Ace is the difference between a good hand and a bust.
AceOfSpades

Re: Favorite Author or book.

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Dark Hunters or Chronicles of Nick
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Well... Current, living, working authors I'd say Jim Butcher. Guy's pure Crazy Awesome. :gurt:
If we allow for the whole history of literature, then I'm at loss. There are way too many!
Specially because I enjoy a wide range of styles, I can't say I like Dante's Comedy, more than I like Stoker's Dracula: They're fundamentally different experiences. It's incomparable. :lol:
"Yami ni madoishi awarena kage yo
Hito o kizutsuke otoshimete,
Tsumi ni oboreshi gō no tama,
Ippen... shinde miru?"
Pixelmage

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm

King, Rowling, and R.L. Stine.
AceOfSpades

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Uh, Terry Pratchett, specifically Going Postal. That book is very close to my heart. Also a fan of Neil Gaiman.
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I also love Terry Pratchett and I really wanna read Good Omens.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Speaking of books, with all the Gambiting I am going to have to do, I should probably read Patton a few hundred times. I mean, it worked for Linkara, right? (OK, lame joke.)
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Lordxana0 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Speaking of books, with all the Gambiting I am going to have to do, I should probably read Patton a few hundred times. I mean, it worked for Linkara, right? (OK, lame joke.)

You magnificent bastard I read your book!
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Goldude on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 am

Even though I haven't finished it yet, I like House of Leaves. My other favorites are Hatchet and The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Grove.
1st official attempted Spanner In The Works and light in the darkness.
Goldude

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:07 am

I have three favourite books:

1: Usborne True Stories: The Wild West. The true stories of the OK Corral Gunfight, Wild Bill Hicock, Custer's Last Stand and Billy the Kid are all told in this book.
2: From the Earth to the Moon: Jules Verne's novel inspired NASA, and it is pretty hilarious. And it helped my maths too.
3: Murder on the Orient Express: BEST. AGATHA. CHRISTIE. NOVEL. EVER. GO POIROT! ( I mean, GO REYNALD!
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby The Finch on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 am

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I'm currently reading the 6th book in the increasingly incorrectly numbered trilogy.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 am

The Gathering - that's the Isobelle Carmody version, not the other more modern one, which I think is a dark romance or something.

I like the way The Gathering discusses the idea of good and evil and it has some nice twists.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 am

Currently reading A Song Of Ice And Fire, which is amazing.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby AceOfSpades on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 am

I'm currently reading Different Seasons. One of the few King Books that can be as horrific, tragic and heartwarming without a single supernatural explanation.
AceOfSpades

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 am

REVIVING THIS DUSTY AND FORGOTTEN THREAD VIA LIGHTINING LIKE HENRY/VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN.

OK, Done.

Now, here are my true 3 favourite books of all time:

My 3rd Favourite Book.jpg
My 3rd Favourite Book.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 8842 times

My 2nd Favourite Book.jpg
My 2nd Favourite Book.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 8842 times

My 1st Favourite Book.jpg
My 1st Favourite Book.jpg (86.29 KiB) Viewed 8842 times

Notice I get slightly more psycho each shot.

And my favourite authors are the ones of my 3 favourite books, as well as CS Lewis, Douglas Adams, JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, Gennifer Choldenko, Terry Deary, Agatha Christie, Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, HG Wells, Mary Shelley, William Shakespeare, Fred Gipson, Norton Juster, Gaston Leroux and everyone who helped in writing the Bible.
Last edited by The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Victin on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22 pm

"From the Earth to the Moon". I read that book, and I expect to read the sequel one day.
Dolphins are some of the smartest animals, yes, but by human standards… Let's say you should praise the god that forces them to stay handless and underwater.
Victin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Victin wrote:"From the Earth to the Moon". I read that book, and I expect to read the sequel one day.

Around the Moon is even harder to find :(

But there is an alternative....

Get an iPad or iPad Mini, download iBooks, and download the Free edition of From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon from their store. Then you can read it.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm

I really enjoy Terry Pratchett, and my favorite book is Going Postal. It's a perfect blend of smarts and funny for me, though I will have to confess to it probably not being the absolute best book I have ever read
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

My favorite author is Jasper Fforde. Among other things, he writes the Thursday Next series, in which people from the real world and characters from fiction often cross over and interact directly with one another. Actually, early on in the ARG I had trouble understanding some things just because I automatically assumed it would all work like it did in the Nextverse and it didn't.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:38 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:My favorite author is Jasper Fforde. Among other things, he writes the Thursday Next series, in which people from the real world and characters from fiction often cross over and interact directly with one another. Actually, early on in the ARG I had trouble understanding some things just because I automatically assumed it would all work like it did in the Nextverse and it didn't.

Foreshadowing your role, perhaps?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:49 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:My favorite author is Jasper Fforde. Among other things, he writes the Thursday Next series, in which people from the real world and characters from fiction often cross over and interact directly with one another. Actually, early on in the ARG I had trouble understanding some things just because I automatically assumed it would all work like it did in the Nextverse and it didn't.

Foreshadowing your role, perhaps?

...Maybe?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Guyshane on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 am

I'm with Pix on Jim Butcher. I also like Larry Corriera as he hasn't put out a series so far that I haven't liked. I have a fondness for Simon R Green in particular the Nightside and Secret Histories (otherwise known as the Drood family series). I'm getting into Discworld and I think I'll stop here before i turn this post into a wall of text
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:50 am

I worship Terry Pratchett, as should any person of culture and sense.
I also worship Neil Gaiman, because come on, he's NEIL GAIMAN, though I have to guiltily admit that unlike Pratchett, I haven't yet obsessively read everything he's written.

I'm also obsessed with Tamora Pierce and Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, though I expect fewer people here to have heard of them, especially Amelia. She's good, though. Look her up. Especially her most recent novel Poison Tree, totally not just because one of the awesomest characters there exists, allegedly, because of some comments I made when beta-ing an early draft. :gurt:
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby JackAlsworth on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:15 am

I've heard of Tamora Pierce. I think I've read her entire Tortall series (minus the last Beka book). Didn't get into the Circle of Magic books, but I've heard nice things about them.

I like most of the Ender books by Orson Scott Card (Children of the Mind DOESN'T COUNT), and for my shell-an-obscure-author bit, I'll recommend Barry Hughart and his Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, a delightfully screwball series starring what is essentially a medieval Asian Sherlock Holmes.
JackAlsworth

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:17 am

Ooh, Ender's Game and the Bean sequels are amazing. (did not read the Ender sequels, mostly because from what I've heard, they're very much a different type of sci-fi entirely, and not one I generally like... though I'm considering reading them anyway, for completion's sake.)

Also I <3 Jane Austen.
And Gordon Korman.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Next

Return to Off Topic