Favorite Author or book.

Anything goes.

Re: Favorite Author or book.

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 am

Lordxana0 wrote:My favorite book is actually a little embarassing to say, but what the heck.

Alex Rider

A story about a teenager who is drafted into the British secret service and has to go on missions to stop James Bond level villains with his smarts and a few gadgets (which always manage to get taken so he has to rely on himself). Imagine James Bond, as a teenager, and without the heart of ice that allows him to gun down mooks and you have Alex Rider. I think what I might love most about this series is that it really shows the evolution of the main character and how this missions really effect him both physically and mentally. If you have never given it a read then I highly recommend it the next time you are at your local library or book store.

By the by just to show how balls to the walls this series is allow me to copy pasta this little bit from tvtropes

Major Yu's plan to dispose of Alex: Slowly have his organs removed and sold on the black market, starting with his corneas and eventually reducing him to a husk on life support.

By the by this books normal place in the library? Middle School section.

OH I'VE READ STORMBREAKER, IT WAS AWESOME!
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:My favorite book is actually a little embarassing to say, but what the heck.

Alex Rider

A story about a teenager who is drafted into the British secret service and has to go on missions to stop James Bond level villains with his smarts and a few gadgets (which always manage to get taken so he has to rely on himself). Imagine James Bond, as a teenager, and without the heart of ice that allows him to gun down mooks and you have Alex Rider. I think what I might love most about this series is that it really shows the evolution of the main character and how this missions really effect him both physically and mentally. If you have never given it a read then I highly recommend it the next time you are at your local library or book store.

By the by just to show how balls to the walls this series is allow me to copy pasta this little bit from tvtropes

Major Yu's plan to dispose of Alex: Slowly have his organs removed and sold on the black market, starting with his corneas and eventually reducing him to a husk on life support.

Snakehead was a fun read. ^^ Still, if you really want ridiculously awesome, there's always blowing up helicopters with snowmobiles, drowning a guy in salt until his skin starts bubbling, destroying up a plane with a Game Boy cartridge, trashing another plane with a dude on a food cart to the engine, dropping a quasi-cyborg into a nuclear submarine pit via magnet crane... I'll stop here before I give away any more spoilers, but yeah. Glorious series, that. Started reading at Point Blank, incidentally, so I'll start by recommending that.

...that reminds me, I should check if the next book in the Raven's Gate series is out yet...
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby IslaKariese on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I first heard of Alex Rider when my elementary school teacher was reading it aloud in class to us. It was Point Blank, but I wasn't paying all that much attention to it until about halfway through. Then I looked for the book myself, not realizing it was part of a series until high school (I think ought to be applauded for even remembering the name of the book for that long, seriously).

I've unfortunately been very slow in exploring the Rider-verse. I've read the first book and remember snippets from Point Blank, and that's about it. :?
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Lordxana0 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Endless Sea wrote:

Alex Rider

Snakehead was a fun read. ^^ Still, if you really want ridiculously awesome, there's always blowing up helicopters with snowmobiles, drowning a guy in salt until his skin starts bubbling, destroying up a plane with a Game Boy cartridge, trashing another plane with a dude on a food cart to the engine, dropping a quasi-cyborg into a nuclear submarine pit via magnet crane... I'll stop here before I give away any more spoilers, but yeah. Glorious series, that. Started reading at Point Blank, incidentally, so I'll start by recommending that.

...that reminds me, I should check if the next book in the Raven's Gate series is out yet...

Yeah dude the series is finished now. That was the series I was talking about yesterday.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Really? I thought there were still two books after Necropolis. Did both come out, or did I mishear something, maybe?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.
Endless Sea

Postby Lordxana0 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Endless Sea wrote:Really? I thought there were still two books after Necropolis. Did both come out, or did I mishear something, maybe?

Mishear. The last book is known as Oblivion
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Krika on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm

I've read all but the last 2 or 3 Rider books. I enjoyed it, although by the time I found out that more had been published I had lost interest in the series.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 am

At the risk of having folks conjecture about it...

The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster.

It's brilliant on so many levels. I actually have to get a new copy because I kinda wore out my old one; it's that good of a read. The conversation between Milo, King Azaz, and the Mathemagician after the climax contains one of the guiding philosophies in my life. Rather than say it here, though, I'm going to have people read it, because it's just that damn good.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:28 am

Rick Healey wrote:At the risk of having folks conjecture about it...

The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster.

It's brilliant on so many levels. I actually have to get a new copy because I kinda wore out my old one; it's that good of a read. The conversation between Milo, King Azaz, and the Mathemagician after the climax contains one of the guiding philosophies in my life. Rather than say it here, though, I'm going to have people read it, because it's just that damn good.

I read that book too.

It. Was. Awesome.

I got it at the book sale during my school fair. It's got some of the best puns in history.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 am

So I recently managed to find a copy of All Quiet on the Western Front.

It was wonderful. Paul is an engaging and complex narrator, the battle scenes are described in great detail, and it is a true tearjerking and heartwarming and awesome novel. I watched the 1930 film too, and that finally hammered one point home- War is Hell, despite what everyone thinks, it will always be Hell.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby IslaKariese on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:12 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:So I recently managed to find a copy of All Quiet on the Western Front.

It was wonderful. Paul is an engaging and complex narrator, the battle scenes are described in great detail, and it is a true tearjerking and heartwarming and awesome novel. I watched the 1930 film too, and that finally hammered one point home- War is Hell, despite what everyone thinks, it will always be Hell.

That was a summer reading assignment for me once. I can't remember a word of it, unfortunately, though it's still on my bookshelf.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:07 am

IslaKariese wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:So I recently managed to find a copy of All Quiet on the Western Front.

That was a summer reading assignment for me once. I can't remember a word of it, unfortunately, though it's still on my bookshelf.

You may want to reread. After I finished, I didn't realize how powerful it actually was until I took a good look at the Movieclips for the 1930 movie on Youtube. Then I realized how War really is hell.

Also, it is the goriest WWI novel I've read so far. Guy with half of his head blown off? OK. Guy with his face blown off? SQUICK.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby TheJester on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 pm

My favorite author? Dan Brown
My favorite book? The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
TheJester

Postby Krika on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 am

I haven't mentioned Tamora Pierce yet, have I? Because I do think she's an amazing author.

Also - Jim Butcher.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 am

Krika wrote:I haven't mentioned Tamora Pierce yet, have I? Because I do think she's an amazing author.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Endless Sea on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 am

Currently reading through Angelmass, another Tim Zahn book. It's pretty glorious. Gotta figure out a way to work a reference to it in at least one of my works...
Endless Sea

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Krika wrote:I haven't mentioned Tamora Pierce yet, have I? Because I do think she's an amazing author.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Well, that escalated quickly.

Anyway, my favourite book now is War Horse, which I dug out for our WWI English Class.

Beautiful story, extremely likable characters and plenty of tearjerkers and heartwarmers throughout.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:24 pm

uhm.... I've been rereading The Princess Bride by Goldman, as well as rereading Codex Alera.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:uhm.... I've been rereading The Princess Bride by Goldman, as well as rereading Codex Alera.

There was a book? I thought it was just a movie, and the book in it was a plot device.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
eli_gone_crazy wrote:uhm.... I've been rereading The Princess Bride by Goldman, as well as rereading Codex Alera.

There was a book? I thought it was just a movie, and the book in it was a plot device.

The book is AMAZING. The screenplay for the movie was also written by William Goldman, the author of the book, and the movie is great but the book is better. I highly recommend it. (Be sure to read the introduction; it's actually part of the framing device.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 pm

The movie was based on the book. Although it kills me (rule of adaptations purist) to say this, in many ways the movie was the "classic", distilled version; what it cut from the original were mostly things that could well have been missed. The book in the movie was a pragmatic replacement for a similar type of framing device used in the book, which wouldn't have translated as well to the screen.

That said, I'd say the Goldman book is well worth reading, particularly if you like the movie.
Lead by example. Get lost in a swamp.

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Although it kills me (rule of adaptations purist) to say this, in many ways the movie was the "classic", distilled version; what it cut from the original were mostly things that could well have been missed.

I STRONGLY disagree. My favorite parts of the book are things that not only weren't in the movie, but they COULDN'T be in the movie, because they're not cinematic... the little digressions when Goldman comments on the "original" version by S. Morgenstern, the backstories for Inigo and Fezzik, the stuff about how Buttercup wasn't THE most beautiful woman in the world at the start of the story... The book is a masterpiece in a totally different way than the movie.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 am

narrativedilettante wrote:

The book is AMAZING. The screenplay for the movie was also written by William Goldman, the author of the book, and the movie is great but the book is better. I highly recommend it. (Be sure to read the introduction; it's actually part of the framing device.)

Right, I'll hopefully be going to Page One today, I'll see if I can find it.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby H22 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 am

Scarab wrote:
Obviously, we just have awesome writers on my side of the pond ;)

And George Orwell:gurt:

Who is my favourite author. (Douglas Adams is brilliant though.)
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby SpiritfChaos on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 am

I'd say my favorite author is probably Neil Gaiman, mainly for his comics work, but I've recently picked up a copy of American Gods.
I'm just a guy who wants to help save the world.
SpiritfChaos

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic